• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A&E Cancels KKK Documentary Series After Discovering Producers Paid Participants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vice

On Friday, A&E briefly changed the name of its eight-episode series from Generation KKK to Escaping the KKK: A Documentary Series Exposing Hate in America, before abruptly canceling the project altogether on Saturday.
In a statement released on Saturday, A&E wrote that it had learned Friday night that “third-party producers” working on the series had made “cash payments” to some of its participants “in order to facilitated access.” Furthermore, “these payments are a direct violation of A&E’s policies and practices for a documentary.” When A&E announced the series last week, it had highlighted the unprecedented access provided to them by the KKK, as evidenced in part by the fact that no names were charged or faces obscured.

http://trib.al/ZB8K5IK

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Never bet against Ellen Pompeo.

Xe4

Banned
Why would you even do this? I'd figure the KKK would love the publicity. Just tell them it'll be positive and then don't have it be positive, sheesh.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
The less the people see about the KKK, the better IMO. Worthless people shouldn't get any attention. Shame they got money.

Syriel

I guess we got to cancel Bronsonlee and Slayven do Asia documentary

Skiptrace-2016-movie-poster.jpg

So, this is based on a true story then? ;)

Koomaster

I don't get why it would be against their policy to pay participants for a show? And why just up and cancel it now when it's too late to do anything about it since they already have the money? The premise sounded interesting and it didn't sound like it was glorifying the KKK in the slightest. I was looking forward to watching this.

Slayven

Wouldn't you two need to have game, first?
You just made the list
Do they get voted off the island every week?
"Sorry Jim Bob, your cross burning is not enough to save you from elimination "
I don't get why it would be against their policy to pay participants for a show? And why just up and cancel it now when it's too late to do anything about it since they already have the money? The premise sounded interesting and it didn't sound like it was glorifying the KKK in the slightest. I was looking forward to watching this.

Probably has to do with award show rules and classification.

Vice

Payment may affect how they act and make it less truthful because they want to tell the documentarian what they want to hear so they can get more money.

Slayven

"Listen Mr. TV man i will talk about how much niggers and muslims are ruining America for free on Facebook, Twitter, and the comment section of a Beyonce youtube video. But if you want me to do it in front of your little GoPro, well you best come off some of that paper."

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Because the goal was to do a documentary, not a reality show.

If you pay people you've removed impartiality. Even if the show is about people why leave, how could you know that they weren't just doing that for a payday?

tomtom94

Reminds me of the leaked budget for Sahara and how it revealed part of the budget was for bribing foreign officials.

But also, yeah, this was a dumb idea and someone high up should probably get at least a severe warning.

KRod-57

Banned
I would've only been interested in it if Kamau Bell was in it. This shit was crazy.
http://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2016/04/11/cnn-original-series-kamau-bell-kkk-sneak-peek.cnn

Kamau Bell's show feels more like investigative journalism and they cover different subjects each episode. Everything A&E puts out feels like a dumb reality show. I wasn't interested in watching their show, and hearing they were paying the participants doesn't surprise me either. I also wouldn't be surprised if they did re-shoots and did scripted scenes for dramatization

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom