• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI screenshots and information

raven777

PS4 version
C0lmwwSVQAQSl2O.jpg:large

C0lm2nlUoAAQtEk.jpg:large

C0lnZzgUkAASQNn.jpg:large

C0lmXK9UQAAtpAO.jpg:large

3DS version
More in the link: http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1036015.html

------------------

Post by Newtype-001:

Didnt see a thread
Details from Gematsu
http://gematsu.com/2016/12/dragon-quest-xi-details-protagonist-camus-world

Also Bolded
Protagonist (You)

A young man who lives in the calm village of Ishi. The protagonist, who began a coming-of-age ceremony when he turned 16, learns an astonishing truth. He is the reincarnation of the “hero” that once saved the world, someone who carries the burden of a major mission…

The hero is something. The hero’s mission is something. In order to confirm his fate with his own eyes, the protagonist leaves his homeotown and steps forward to the vast world.

—The protagonist. He watches over the people of the warm Ishi Village, where you grew up soundly. On the day he turns 16, the curtain raises on the story of Dragon Quest XI.
Dragon-Quest-XI_2016_12-26-16_008.jpg

Emma

a close childhood friend of the protagonist, who was born on the same day as him. When they both turned 16, they did their coming-of-age ceremony together.
Dragon-Quest-XI_2016_12-26-16_010.jpg

Ishi Village

the place from which the protagonist sets off on his adventure, is a small, quiet village located in the corner of the valley area. Its people, who worship the spirits of the earth, live peacefully in the village. There are few shops and facilities, but it thrives in stock-farming and horses are often seen here. Those who reach the age of 16 must take part in a village tradition to climb “God’s Rock,” a rocky mountain in which the spirits of earth dwell, to offer their prayers.

—The waterfall turns into a stream in Ishi Village. It is a naturally abundant village overflowing with greenery.

Dragon-Quest-XI_2016_12-26-16_021.jpg

Added Camus
Camus

“I believe in it—the miracle of the hero.”

A reliable partner. He is a blue-haired thief that the protagonist encounters on his journey. Although there is a rude side to his behavior and speech, he possesses a strong sense of duty and a warm heart. As a partner used to the ways of the world, he supports and guides the novice protagonist.

Confirmed BRO
Dragon-Quest-XI_2016_12-26-16_014.jpg

PlayStation 4 Version
On PlayStation 4, flowers, every tree, flowing waterfalls, and monsters are vividly expressed in vast and beautiful fields. The lifestyles of people in the towns are also depicted at their highest.

3DS Version
On 3DS, you’ll see “3D Mode” on the top screen and “2D mode” on the bottom screen simultaneously at the start of your adventure. As you progress, you’ll be able to choose the appearance you’d like to continue playing with. By going to a specific place, you’ll be able to switch between 3D and 2D modes.

Theres abit more at the link

vareon

The PS4 version looks good, but I was surprised at how good the 3DS version looks. That'll look nice on Switch.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nice! Are there any differences in gameplay between each version? Or is just that they chose different things to show for each version?

Exentryk

City looks great. Also, combat seems traditional turn-based; not even free movement allowed. Good stuff. [PS4 Version]

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I hope we don't have to put up with the trunks wannabe and super saiyan blue for the whole game. Where is the prominence of the female characters??

The PS4 version looks good, but I was surprised at how good the 3DS version looks. That'll look nice on Switch.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I know yall are trolling but I think I would take a upgraded 3DS port on Swtich then a downgraded PS4 port that is reminiscent of Xenoblade 3DS or Dragon quest 8 on 3DS.

Or fuck it. Lets keep the crazy training going and SE should make 3rd unique version for Switch!

Inuhanyou

The trailer already shows female party members, so dont worry.

That's the opening CGI of the game, but we dont see anything in game and have not seen any real time footage of them yet. Hell i didn't even know those characters existed until that CGI came out

DKHF

Both versions are looking good. I'm glad they are seemingly sticking to the traditional turn-based combat for PS4 as it will be a good change of pace from Square Enix's other major projects which are all largely action based.

Inuhanyou

turn based is great news. i saw some of that DQX footage and noped the eff out.

That's the opening CGI of the game, but we dont see anything in game and have not seen any real time footage of them yet. Hell i didn't even know those characters existed until that CGI came out

Given that every Dragon Quest sans the first one has had more than two party members I'm sure it'll be fine and we'll see all of them in action. Most fixed-party Dragon Quests (4,5,6,7 and new version of 8) have more than one playable female character too.

Tyaren

On PS4 the game looks pretty simple (mostly due to it's art style) but at the same time very polished. This is going to be a visual treat, similar to Blue Dragon back on the Xbox360.

Wow Tales is impressively ugly. How do they do it?

Being cross gen, as well as having a low budget and short development time.

Mediking

PS4 version looks good and super plastic at the same time. Same thing is happening to Sora in 2.8.... I mentioned this before that plastic look is unappealing.

Inuhanyou

PS4 version looks good and super plastic at the same time. Same thing is happening to Sora in 2.8.... I mentioned this before that plastic look is unappealing.

The shaders they are using generally don't mesh well with cartoony styles it seems. It feels like a by product of being each development teams first respective project with the engine

NolbertoS

I will get both versions being DQ crazed fan. I'll play on the PS4 first though as I haven't played a DQ game on a TV since VIII

turn based is great news. i saw some of that DQX footage and noped the eff out.

Screens seem to confirm the opposite to me

In the battle shot you can see what I believe are battlefield boundaries, implying that there is free movement like in DQX

XcQIjcF.jpg

On top of the UI looking EXACTLY like DQX's, I think combat might end up being pretty similar. I just hope it's a little speedier than in that game.

Inuhanyou

Now that Tales is PS4 only, i wonder if anything will change in regards to Bandai Namco giving them more time to take advantage of the platform...probably not? :(

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I honestly hope the Switch version is an enhanced port of the 3DS game. 'Cause then I can play both versions of DQXI without having to play one of them on the 3DS.

Now that Tales is PS4 only, i wonder if anything will change in regards to Bandai Namco giving them more time to take advantage of the platform...probably not? :(

I doubt it, even though I love the series unless they suddenly double the sales of each game or something they're probably not gonna get a better budget for this stuff.

Mediking

They look worse and less sharp than I remember. Now it just looks like Tales. What gives?

Give Tales of Besti a break. I'm buying it day one.

I hope we don't have to put up with the trunks wannabe and super saiyan blue for the whole game. Where is the prominence of the female characters??

The shaders they are using generally don't mesh well with cartoony styles it seems. It feels like a by product of being each development teams first respective project with the engine

Yeah, we got Tsundere the Karate Girl.... the prolly pervy jester, prolly goofy old man, and a blonde girl? Blue haired dude will prolly be the guy we actually wanna play as or we get betrayed by. Lol

And yeah, man... that plastic look does not mesh with that cartoony style at all. I agree with you. I'm glad Aqua is looking better in 2.8 than earlier. Hopefully Sora gets help too. I couldn't release media like that to the world with my characters looking so freaking plastic.

Ray Down

Banned
Screens seem to confirm the opposite to me

In the battle shot you can see what I believe are battlefield boundaries, implying that there is free movement like in DQX

XcQIjcF.jpg

Yeah it looks like X gameplay, also helps that Orca is one on the main developers in this too.

Does XI director did anything on X?

Top Bottom