• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As a consumer, I like Nintendo's policy to maintain games' prices

My reasoning, in short, is that I can consider buying Nintendo games as a kind of investment. If I buy a game and don't like it, or don't want to keep it, I can resell it for a reasonable price. Investing into AAA gaming on other platforms out of sale is basically just paying a premium fee to get the games early, as it has become a policy for most other developers to eventually reduce the price of the game to a bargain.

The game only retains value if it is good. You want my copy of Steel Diver? I'll give you 20% off the retail price I paid for it.

Had the same thought the other day reading the $30 Skyrim Steelbook thread. I bought that game for $60 its first week. It was $30 like a week later...

I prefer to pick games up when they're cheap, because Nintendo games rarely fall in price, I have little incentive to invest in their platform, this isn't the 90s where Nintendo get to dictate prices.

entremet

Sorry, I like waiting a little and spending as little as possible on a video game.

I wonder how sustainable this is if everyone adopted this behavior? Not criticizing your choices. I do this too!

But I remember reading how the UK gaming market has been struggling since more consumers are doing this.

AngryMoth

As someone who doesn't sell games, I hate this policy. Really stings when I feel like catching up on something form 5 years ago and then realising it's still full price

Sorry this is 2016 (soon to be 17) and everybody else can cut their prices and still remain very profitable. Nintendo can't even be bothered to put up their own discounts for a fucking holiday. Capcom is currently carrying the 3ds right now on the eshop, not Nintendo.

Velcro Fly

I can buy games day 1 and know that 2 or 3 years later they are going to be about the same price. I rarely regret buying a Nintendo published game at launch. There is very little pressure to play a game quickly after release to justify buying it full price.

ChrisD

I get annoyed at spending twice as much as what people may pay only a month later, but I hate paying full price forever even more.

In other words, I don't agree.

oti

Banned
I think it's easier to spend full money on Nintendo games or DLC because one knows they (usually) won't be 50% off the next week or month. Heck, the Mario Kart 8 DLC got its first sale this year and I don't regret buying it at full price at all. For other games it's different. I for one would never get a Telltale season on day one again. Sucks for them and all but the way they slash prices once every episode comes out is something I want no part of.

Also OP, your reasoning is super weird.

TunaLover

I don't know if I agree but recently sold part of my Wii collection (going Wii digital on Wii U) and I got good money for them, they retain the value over time, in some cases I got double the money from my investment :p

Zalusithix

As a consumer all it does for me is ensure I never buy a Nintendo game unless I'm absolutely sure I want it and have time blocked out to play it. For other systems/publishers I'll up pick games on the cheap that I'm far less confident in, or have no intention of getting around to playing any time soon. So I guess their policy saves me money. Thanks Nintendo? =P

Oddly enough, if you chose the right games to mass purchase, it would have worked out in the past few years haha.

But this seems like a tenuous proposition indeed.
No, I don't mean investment in that way. I mean no one buys 10 cars just because their prices won't plummet in a matter of months, but you know you can resell your car later if you need it. AAA games are consumables at this point though; it is like playing to watch a movie in a Cinema

"I buy Nintendo games as an investment. Why, I can sell a game I bought 5 years ago at a 10$ loss."

Cant believe investors arent tapping into this OP.

I don't sell my games and I don't tend to trade them in because I look up footage or reviews before buying so I hate Nintendo's policies. The only good thing is Nintendo Selects, but you have to wait so long for that and your not even guaranteed the game your waiting for will get a Nintendo Selects release.

23-Cross15.jpg

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I like buying 8 year old games for less then the original retail price.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Don't let them get you down, op. I also like paying more for things than I need to. It's a show of wealth and power that does wonders for my self esteem.

Jito

Banned
Uh no, things depreciate over time, especially games. Nintendo pricing their games at full price years later means I'm less likely to buy them, probably why I have 2 games on the Wii U.

noshten

I have no problem with buying a few Nintendo titles at full price, but for majority of games I do wait for discounts or pass on them entirely. Honestly if Nintendo starts releasing a bunch of games with the Switch I might change my stance but I only had a Wii U and there isn't exactly a ton of games that interest me there - I did buy a dozen games at full price but truly only Splatoon & Bayonetta 1/2 are games I've spend full price where I actually felt I ripped them off while the rest I've barely played. It evens out for me I guess, I buy some games on the Wii U simply for the local multiplayer and don't play them unless I have people over.

entremet

Nintendo does have Nintendo's Select line, but they take their sweet time for those.

Also is the Greatest Hits line dead? It just seems that Sony drops the price and keeps the same packaging.

Nice for collectors at least. GH tends to have garish box art.

Gaspard

I like buying games like Until Dawn for $8 a year after release.

If I sold my Nintendo games more often I would feel you though.

ChrisD

Then make a thread about it.

I'm not one of them, so I really can't

Nintendo does have Nintendo's Select line, but they take their sweet time for those.

Also is the Greatest Hits line dead? It just seems that Sony drops the price and keeps the same packaging.

Nice for collectors at least. GH tends to have garish box art.

I hate GH, so I'm thankful for it.

Unfortunately I also dislike Nintendo Selects. :X Wish they did the same thing.

Not an investment. You crazy OP. I mean they do tend to hold their value, but it is not like Super Mario Galaxy is at $60 still. I think it sells for about $20 now. The only real games you can do this with are super limited runs of Nintendo games, or limited runs from a 3rd party on the Nintendo platform. Even then, I would say a good chunk don't sell for $60, only a very select few that develop a cult following.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I can buy games day 1 and know that 2 or 3 years later they are going to be about the same price. I rarely regret buying a Nintendo published game at launch. There is very little pressure to play a game quickly after release to justify buying it full price.

So Nintendo's stubbornness soothes your gamer OCD/FOMO and therefore it's good and not bad that they still charge the same price for 2 year old games?

There's nothing wrong with just buying a game at full price and enjoying it. Even if it's cheaper later. Though it sounds like you might buy games you aren't actually going to play immediately, which is self-defeating behavior.

Top Bottom