• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Game Maps

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
b0EcepH.jpg

Real talk: I made a map dump on Imgur that went largely unappreciated

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
What a weird thread tangent. I love it

I have to give props to the 3d maps in the Metroid Prime games

CxJkV.png

Also fuck the Sanitarium
These maps were awesome. They seem confusing at first glance, but are the ultimate evolution and realization of the "Metroidvania" map formula and surprisingly user friendly once you get used to them

Love the maps in Thief: Deadly Shadows. They're just enough that you can figure out what's what but not enough that you can blindly follow them.

map-pagansanc02.jpg

map-blueheron.jpg

Also remember the old days of buying a GTA game and looking at all the cool things in the printed map before you got to play the game. Such a genius idea by the developers. You had the strong impression that the city was a real place before you even played the game. I feel that taking time to look at the map before actually seeing the city considerably improved the experience of driving through it.

Durante

The old Might and Magic world maps are my all-time favourites.

LandOfXeen2013.jpg

They really made me want to go to these places and die horribly discover what the artist tried to show.
What makes them stand out is that they are abstracted enough from the game's implementation to not take away any surprises, but detailed enough to give you an idea which encourages exploration.

Iy4Ur7o.jpg

Monkey Island 2 had all these islands to explore and solve. I remember seeing the map and realising how much freedom the game seemed to give you very early on.

I spent a lot of time as a kid going from island to island making very, very small baby steps into each puzzle. It took me a really long time to finish this game.

SomTervo

Need some Dishonored 2 stuff in here. Some phenomenal work. Like where Thief would have gone map-wise after Thief 2: TMA.

2scoops

As long as we're on spooks a collector's edition of Biohazard HD came with a mock draft plan of the Spencer Mansion which I though was nifty

I loved this edition solely for the map, have it framed in my office at home. Really like all the notes and details on it.

Top Bottom