• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN Sources: Trump won't ask Mexico to pay for the wall, will ask Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
Sources: Trump will ask Congress, not Mexico, to pay for border wall - CNN
https://apple.news/A8X4JjrUPQzCyma7eZC9LjA

This is different info a bit from the story about the shutdown
The move would break a key campaign promise when Trump repeatedly said he would force Mexico to pay for the construction of the wall along the border.

The Trump team argues it will have the authority through a Bush-era 2006 law to build the wall, lawmakers say, but it lacks the money to do so. Transition officials have told House GOP leaders in private meetings they'd like to pay for the wall in the funding bill, a senior House GOP source said.

"It was not done in the Obama Administration so by funding the authorization that's already happened a decade ago we could start the process of meeting Mr. Trump's campaign pledge to secure the border," Indiana Republican Rep. Luke Messer said on Thursday.

Messer admitted it's "big dollars, but it's a question of priorities." He pointed to a border security bill that Homeland Security Chairman Mike McCaul proposed last year that cost roughly $10 billion.

Republicans point out that then-Sen. Barack Obama, Sen. Chuck Schumer and then-Sen. Hillary Clinton voted for the 2006 bill and argued that since Democrats backed that bill, they should support efforts to fund the current effort.

The thinking behind the strategy is that it is harder for Democrats to filibuster spending bills because of the high stakes involved if they fail to pass in time.

"Democrats may well find themselves in the position to shut down all of government to stop the buildout of a wall, or of a barrier, or of a fence," Messer said.

If Mexico refuses to pay for the wall the GOP could add billions of dollars into the spending bill that needs to pass by April 28 to keep the government open. But doing so would force a showdown with Senate Democrats and potentially threaten a government shutdown.
No decisions have been made, GOP sources said.

Permanently A

This is all part of his plan to make Mexico pay for the wall, obviously.

Cue Trump supporters claiming they literally never ever believed that Mexico was going to pay for the wall and that it was obviously seventh dimensional tetrahedral chess playing by the Don.

Izuna

Banned
Lol and people are upset that poor people sometime buy steak with welfare.

Enjoy that wall guys

Lupe-2.0.jpg

they'll just dig tunnels dude like do you think a fence is gonna stop anybody

They won't do shit because they aren't coming over to America anymore. This is an attempt to spend billions to solve a problem that doesn't exist, all just to appease a bunch of racist idiots.

rjinaz

You guys just don't get it. We'll pay for it. Then we'll make Mexico pays us back after we yell at them a lot. Trump is a winner, Mexico a loser. They'll cave.

They won't do shit because they aren't coming over to America anymore. This is an attempt to spend billions to solve a problem that doesn't exist, all just to appease a bunch of racist idiots.

actually u kno what you're probably right, this wall will be used to keep americans in

riotous

Banned
That's different. This is GOP officials definitely addressing that Mexico won't be asked at all to pay (as I'm interpreting)

It's the same story with the same quotes; it's CNN editorializing and adding the Mexico angle which is already being addressed in the other thread.

It's also in the other article actually, and mentioned in the other OP:

Politico said:
The plan is an implicit acknowledgment by Republicans and the incoming administration that Mexico will not pay for the border wall — a promise from Trump that was always viewed skeptically. Instead, American tax dollars will.

norm9

Obviously. Why would Trump want the wall built with the dirty Mexican peso instead of funding it with clean American green?

actually u kno what you're probably right, this wall will be used to keep americans in

It's for appearances. It's all bullshit smoke and mirrors, which is the kind of thing that appeals to people that support someone like Trump. Whisper sweet nothings and tell them what they want to see/hear and they will let you fuck them sideways because feelings are more important than facts. "I see mexicans every day" is more important than actual statistical evidence that shows that illegal immigration is at a net zero and has been for years, just like "I see people in Cadillacs using food stamps!" is more convincing than the evidence that shows welfare fraud is minuscule. Idiots. All of them.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Love to see his explanation of this one to his supporters after he said Mexico is gonna pay for it a thousand times over the past year.

soco

I feel like i should start a website that keeps track of all of his campaign promises he goes back on, plus all the shitty things republicans do under his watch. For all of us to look back and see, but especially for his supporters :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom