• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime so awesome?

I was going to get this game when it came out, but a few other purchases prevented that from happening.

Now I've got money burning a hole in my pocket, and my mind is going back to that game. Haven't bought a DS game in a while, and I'm already recieving most of the good ones as gifts (I think) in a few weeks.

So, is DQH so awesome?

E-phonk

Banned
jarosh said:
how awesome is it for someone who knows jack shit about the dragon quest series and isn't into jrpgs?
I knew jack shit about dragon quest except that it features a little slime creature, and I really enjoyed it.

It's not really a rpg, and the battle system is a lot of fun (although a bit easy)

M74

The adventuring part of the game is boring most of the time, but the tank battle sequences are worth the buy.

Llyranor

It's kinda awesome.

People complain that it's too much on the easy side. I've been finding it relatively challenging, but I haven't been upgrading my tank at all. 100hp vs tanks with multiples of that in hp can be quite the challenge.

I have no interest in DQ, but this might actually make me look into the rest of the series. This is NOT a JRPG.

jarosh

E-phonk said:
I knew jack shit about dragon quest except that it features a little slime creature, and I really enjoyed it.

It's not really a rpg, and the battle system is a lot of fun (although a bit easy)
sounds good. it's on my list of games i want to buy when there's a 'good games drought'.

MoxManiac

I should probably play far enough to get to a tank battle before I condemn it.

My early impression of it wasn't so good.

ethelred

The answer: So awesome.

It's pure, pure fun. That's all.

Here's what I posted... just yesterday, actually:

ethelred said:
I'd have to vehemently disagree with the notion that Rocket Slime sucks or is in any way overhyped. It's not a challenging game (aside from a few of the final battles, which much like the last fight of SPP, are pretty tough), nor are the adventuring segments particularly brilliant -- but they're just damned fun, and it's hard to go wrong with that kind of highly polished 2D dungeon exploration. The tank segments, on the other hand, are sheer brilliance, and they elevate the game into another realm entirely.

The game is highly rewarding in giving the player a ton of bite-sized objectives, lots of continuous rewards for success, and a lot of collectability/upgrades. It's also got a spectacular localization and is one of the funniest games ever for it. Toss in lots of pleasingly innocent Square & Enix fanservicing and the fact that you're playing as a SLIME and I just don't see how anyone can fail to enjoy this game...
unless you have no soul.

MoxManiac said:
I should probably play far enough to get to a tank battle before I condemn it.

My early impression of it wasn't so good.

You dissed it without even doing the tank battles? Mox, man, I'm horrified. Get back into the game right now!

E-Nature

it's ok
but it's not much better than children of mana and COM was kinda crap in my opinion

I usually expect more of SE games

it's not bad at all but I would not give it the "awesome" tag

ethelred

E-Nature said:
it's ok
but it's not much better than children of mana and COM was kinda crap in my opinion

I usually expect more of SE games

it's not bad at all but I would not give it the "awesome" tag

Oh, so you have no soul. Okay.

Hmmm...

Is it something I can pick up and play now and then for a long time? Or is one of those games where if you put it down for a while you're lost when you come back to it?

Llyranor

I'd say it's a very pick-up-and-play game. There isn't much room to get lost in. The game tracks pretty well what you still need to get from each each area, as well as which parts of the map you haven't explored yet.

Amir0x

Banned
jarosh said:
you didn't like it?

i only played it briefly on my sister's fiancé's DS, so I'm not really in a position to judge the full game. But I noticed that people use "you play as a ****in' SLIME man" as a positive and often associate not caring about this with the lack of having a soul, so I was just wondering if I needed to be an overgrown manchild to regain my soul again or something.

ethelred

Amir0x said:
i only played it briefly on my sister's fiancé's DS, so I'm not really in a position to judge the full game. But I noticed that people use "you play as a ****in' SLIME man" as a positive and often associate not caring about this with the lack of having a soul, so I was just wondering if I needed to be an overgrown manchild to regain my soul again or something.

You should be fine.

Jiggy

The tank battle half of it is so awesome.
Everything else is just kind of there. Might have been better if it had a run button, although exactly how a slime would run I don't know--which, I suspect, is S-E's internal justification for not having one.

jarosh

Amir0x said:
hmm, dunno, i haven't read any posts defending the game with that kinda bizarre reasoning. i just feel kinda indifferent towards it and i'm not sure how it can be considered either positive OR negative. says nothing about the quality of the game itself. (i'm not even sure what that... slime "thing" actually is...) then again, i have absolutely no ****ing clue what it's about. i know that there are tank battles but yeah, that's about it.

Amir0x

Banned
jarosh said:
hmm, dunno i haven't read any posts defending the game with that kinda bizarre reasoning. i just feel kinda indifferent towards it and i'm not sure how it can be considered either positive OR negative. says nothing about the quality of the game itself. then again, i have absolutely no ****ing clue what it's about. i know that there are tank battles but yeah, that's about it.

Well it's almost like a 2D Zelda game, but with some more zany aspects thrown in like the tank battles and such.

Octagon

i have heard that this game is so awesome but i haven't played it for more than 5 mins yet. Those were so awesome nevertheless.

jarosh

Amir0x said:
Well it's almost like a 2D Zelda game, but with some more zany aspects thrown in like the tank battles and such.
i guess sooner or later i will buy it. probably when there's nothing else i want to play...

RegularMK

I bought the game based on the "so awesome" vibe gaf gave it.

A tad overrated. Good game- Too short. Too easy. But a fun ride.

Amirox = no soul.

This game was so damn fun, the tank battles were the best part.

PLEEEEAAASE SE give me Slime Mori Mori 3 with online tank battles and better gfx!! That would kick SO much AWESOME ASS!

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I love the fact that all the mindless collection you do in most games actually has a point in this one. Collect more of a certain item and you're able to fill your tank ammo with it thus having a far greater chance of having the randomized item chutes give it to you. Or you can combine the item with others to create even more powerful weapons to use in your tank. The tank sections add a layer of strategy that validates all the mindless item farming and gives balance to the simple yet fun adventuring that you do for most of the game.

MoxManiac

ethelred said:
The answer: So awesome.

It's pure, pure fun. That's all.

Here's what I posted... just yesterday, actually:

You dissed it without even doing the tank battles? Mox, man, I'm horrified. Get back into the game right now!

To be fair, I picked it up simulatneously with like 5 other DS titles (when I first got my DS, TRU sale on games)

I'll give it another chance, don't worry!

womp

Highly overrated...And I do have a soul, I'm just not one of those types of people that circle jerk around everything with the label "Square-Enix" on it, nor "MegaMan" for that matter.

I don't see the draw of this game.

FFIII on the other hand is a lot of fun though, much better than that crappy FFVII game I got hyped into buying on the PSX! :)

jarosh

womp said:
Highly overrated...And I do have a soul, I'm just not one of those types of people that circle jerk around everything with the label "Square-Enix" on it, nor "MegaMan" for that matter.

FFIII on the other hand is a lot of fun though, much better than that crappy FFVII game I got hyped into buying on the PSX! :)
yeah you're opinion is pretty much invalid after this:

womp said:
Megaman ZX sucks, outside the Mega-Fanboys I have no idea why people continue to recommend this piece of crap title.
womp said:
I take nothing back concerning Megaman ZX though. Garbage through and through. Retire this damn series please.
i don't know about rocket slime, haven't played it - but YOU sir DO have no soul.

FoxSpirit

The ONLY things ZX lacked was...
another suit that is as good as HX, most people use it 90% of the time. Superior movement simply rules.

But overall a cool game with great moments. Hmmm, maybe they should also have included the Japanese voiceovers as an option.

Overrated. The game got old, it was annoying to continue to save more slimes, then save more slimes, then save more slimes. The best thing about the game were the tank battles, but that isn't enough to warrant a purchase IMO. My copy went to ebay.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
mooresoawesomeyw5.jpg

That's better.

MoxManiac

womp said:

What exactly could be bad about ZX, though? The only complaint I had was the confusing, obtuse map system. Everything else was great, from the level design to the bosses.

This game is not like Zelda. I have trouble even calling it an action RPG. The only thing it has in common with Zelda is that it has an overhead perspective view like LttP and the hand held games and it has heart containers. I'm not saying the game is bad but, don't let GAFers trick you into thinking this is the most awesomest game on DS or something.

The game is split up into stages you have to go back through over and over again. This can get very repetitive. Also, this game holds your hand like you're a 1st grader through the first few hours at least. That's enough to turn off most hardcore gamers right there. I'm not saying it's easy but you'll probably get the feeling that you're playing an RPG for noobs when you start playing it.

Llyranor

Phew, just finished the game today. Geez, that final battle was freaking epic. People are complaining that the game is too short, but I found the length pretty good, given how spread out my sessions have been.

But yes, so awesome.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Such a fun game and absolutely worth the buy (I actually imported its prequel, Slime Morimori Dragon Quest a while ago), only complaint that aside from a few tank battles near the end, the game was really easy. But damn fun, with a good deal of variety in its setpieces, it never becomes boring or overstays its welcome. Graphics are nice, music is strictly DQ. Then again I'll admit to be a sucker for the DQ series and anything with Slimes in it...

Top Bottom