• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Stealth Launching 1080p HDR TVs?

wildfire

Banned
I've been following CES news hoping to hear about this and now I'm still unsure if this is happening or not.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1483718865

Sony will launch four ranges called WE75, WE66, WE61, and RE45. Sony is promising that all of them will support HDR gaming from PS4. Some of them will also support Netflix streaming in HD+HDR quality. However, Sony cannot guarantee HDR support with other sources, perhaps because most sources combine 4K+HDR in the signal

The TVs were not exhibited at CES so we did not have a chance to try them but Sony tells us to expect them on the market sometime in spring 2017. Pricing was not announced.

It's really odd I can't find a mention of this anywhere else including press releases on Sony's site.

If this is happening this is great news and I hope their highest end version has a good implementation of Motionflow XR or it even supports 120FPS.

Venuspower

Sounds really cool. But I do not think that these TVs will be cheap.
Still wonder why Sony and AMD never brought FreeSync to Console and to Sonys TVs.
Would be a gamechanger if you ask me.

JP

Would really need to know more about them to know if they're going to be of use to people wanting HDR but I do think this is positive news.

Still wonder why Sony and AMD never brought FreeSync to Console and to Sonys TVs.

Can freesync be easily applied on the PS4? Or is it more to do with the monitor/TV?

BigEmil

Maybe was too early for that but isn't HDMI 2.1 have that? It's said to be in TV's by end of 2018

However, Sony cannot guarantee HDR support with other sources, perhaps because most sources combine 4K+HDR in the signal

Sony declined to give out numbers when we asked them at CES so we have no idea how deep blacks are, how high peak brightness is and how large a percentage of the DCI-P3 color space the TVs cover. However, we think it is same to assume that these TVs will not match the high-end TVs’s HDR capabilities.

So it's just for PS4 HDR? I've been waiting for a 1080p HDR screen to use as a monitor, so I guess this probably isn't what I'm looking for.

Karak

We discussed this on the channel a couple months ago when I heard some of the rumors. And yes it won't be the only 1080p HDR stuff but indeed its going to be far less prevalent.

Venuspower

Maybe was too early for that but isn't HDMI 2.1 have that? It's said to be in TV's by end of 2018

PS4 PRO was another chance to implement that.
If I am right HDMI 2.1 will do that job too. But I do not think that Sony will upgrade the PS4 PRO with HDMI 2.1.

Can freesync be easily applied on the PS4? Or is it more to do with the monitor/TV?

If I am right both parts are important. The display needs to be FreeSync enabled (do not know if these display uses a special chip like G-Sync-Monitors) and the GPU needs to support that function too (don't know if its more a hardware or software thing, but I never heard of a special chip on the graphic card to enable FreeSync ^^).

At the end it shoudn't be that hard for them. Especially since Sony is a TV manufacturer and the console manufacturer.

Freesync relies on DisplayPort specifications. HDMI does not have the Adaptive-Sync capabilities that DisplayPort does (prior to HDMI 2.1, which is only just been officially set and nothing right now uses it), which means that anything that doesn't use a DisplayPort connection (such as the PS4 or basically all televisions) cannot use Freesync. Same also applies to all current Xbones, and I would expect that will also be true for Scorpio.

That said, I would expect PS5 and Xbthree to use HDMI 2.1 (at minimum) and use its adaptive-sync support.

Venuspower

Freesync relies on DisplayPort specifications. HDMI does not have the Adaptive-Sync capabilities that DisplayPort does

AMDs website says that:
In 2016, AMD aims to make smooth PC gaming even more accessible with a unique extension that enables AMD FreeSync™ over HDMI®. Through close technical collaboration with Acer, LG, and Samsung, a growing range of new monitors are already compatible with FreeSync™ over HDMI®. See Monitors tab below.

P.S.:
I hope Sonys 1080p HDR TVs won't be fail like this old PS3 3D Display:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0074CA1SI/

AMD has freesync over HDMI, though I dunno how that works.

Quick googling suggests that is using an AMD developed add-on for the HDMI standard. So, in short, if your monitor or television doesn't support this add-on, it won't work with Freesync over HDMI. To the best of my knowledge, no television supports said add-on, so we're back to square one.

So, to rephrase my last post: FreeSync relies on having adaptive sync support. This is included in the DisplayPort standard and AMD has developed an add-on for the HDMI standard (which will be superseded by HDMI 2.1 including adaptive sync support). The PS4 (or existing Xbones, and probably Scorpio & Switch) supports neither DisplayPort, nor the AMD add-on. Likewise, I'm not aware of any television that supports DisplayPort or aforementioned add-on. Therefore (for this generation of consoles) Freesync ain't happening.

MADGAME

Interesting. Looks like the largest screen will be 49". I'd love to go view one if stores like Best Buy get them.

Venuspower

Quick googling suggests that is using an AMD developed add-on for the HDMI standard. So, in short, if your monitor or television doesn't support this add-on, it won't work with Freesync over HDMI. To the best of my knowledge, no television supports said add-on, so we're back to square one.

Since Sony has his own TVs it should not be hard for them to integrate that add-on.

Would be a cool feature. Especially because 1080p isn't really cool today. If these TVs are real, they need more features than HDR.

CES is kinda like a whole bunch of kickstarters rolling into town and saying look at this cool thing that will never hit mass market adoption.

This is good news. 4K is not a viable option for me if I'm only interested in 40inch TVs. HDR is a bigger deal for me and I'd love to keep super sampling with my PRO.

wildfire

Banned
Since Sony has his own TVs it should not be hard for them to integrate that add-on.

Would be a cool feature. Especially because 1080p isn't really cool today. If these TVs are real, they need more features than HDR.

The price will be one of those features since 1080p is now the $150 to $400 range for most companies.

But personally I'm also interested in features as well in their highest end model.

Top Bottom