• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft buys studio FreeStyle Games (GH Live, DJ Hero) from Activsion

FelipeMGM

EDIT: Yeah, like Nirolak said, Activision was prob going to shut them down, but because of UK laws they had to be offered around first. Ubi prob got it on the cheap.

Also, yes, IP remains with Activision

http://blog.ubi.com/en-GB/richard-blenkinsop-heads-reflections-new-leamington-studio/

They also renamed the studio to Ubisoft Leamington

Richard will also serve as Managing Director for new members of the Ubisoft family joining from FreeStyleGames, previously an Activision studio, located in Leamington Spa. The FreeStyle team is known for their work on the DJ Hero series and last year's Guitar Hero Live. The studio will be renamed Ubisoft Leamington and will work in close collaboration with Reflections and Ubisoft's other International studios to develop AAA games. Of Ubisoft Leamington, Richard said, ”we're thrilled to have their expertise within the group, and the team at Reflections are looking forward to creating great things together!"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Does Activision Publishing have anything outside of Destiny and Call of Duty at this point?

I guess Toys For Bob is still on Skylanders?

I get that they have Blizzard and King as part of the company, but still, like really?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wow that's interesting. Not often does a publisher sell a subsidiary to another publisher.

In the UK, when you shut down a studio, you have to take 60 or 90 days shopping the studio around before you're allowed to close it.

Activision probably decided they would get more money if they tried that process before announcing a closure.

Does Activision Publishing have anything outside of Destiny and Call of Duty at this point?

I get that they have Blizzard and King as part of the company, but still, like really?
Call of Duty is in decline. If it keeps going down, I feel like they'll move Infinity Ward or Raven Software to work on a new franchise to make up for it.

No point in having 4 studios working on a declining franchise. At the same time I don't see them closing any of the studio's down.

Well, it's better than the studio just ending dissolved. I'm guessing they'll either be churning out Just Dance games till the world ends, or maybe yet integrated into Rocksmith.

DJ Hero is the finest rhythm game ever made, and could've been a phenomenon had Activision gotten on board with EDM at the right moment. A damn shame, but the talent is nonetheless exquisite.

In the UK, when you shut down a studio, you have to take 60 or 90 days shopping the studio around before you're allowed to close it.

Activision probably decided they would get more money if they tried that process before announcing a closure.

So MS tried selling Lionhead and Sony tried selling Liverpool and no-one accepted? Maybe they asked for way too much.

Oregano

True. Last time I can think of this happening is Bizarre Creations. Another UK based Activision Dev.

But does that mean Sony had to shop their studios around?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So MS tried selling Lionhead and Sony tried selling Liverpool and no-one accepted? Maybe they asked for way too much.
True. Last time I can think of this happening is Bizarre Creations. Another UK based Activision Dev.

But does that mean Sony had to shop their studios around?
A few places considered Lionhead, but wanted the Fable IP to go with it, which Microsoft was unwilling to part with.

I think Liverpool was effectively just a layoff wave at an existing studio complex, so they didn't have to go through the same process.

I loved DJ Hero 1/2 and Guitar Hero Live. I hope they get to make something really cool. Ubisoft seems like a good fit because they're pretty out there sometimes.

FelipeMGM

Yeah, really poor. Skylanders is prob going to be dead soon too.

Only other thing atm is a team inside Vicarious Visions working on Crash N Sane Trilogy

wildfire

Banned
Ubisoft is sort of a media company. This sounds like a good fit. I hope they come out with something interesting if that is their intention with this purchase.

Ouch. This means Sony had to shop theirs around too but no takers.

fernoca

Though is a bit ironic with the talk of Activision buying Ubisoft.

Great studio thst made great games anyway. So, hopefully their talents will be put to good use.

Seeing the first decade of the '00 I could have sworn Activision would dominate gaming for a long time, but they have been going downhill in the recent years.

EA and Ubisoft invested in their own digital storefronts, what about Activision?

They have battlenet but they use it only for Blizzard products.

What does this mean for GHTV? They're gonna shut it down are they?

They've only cared about COD for almost a decade. Nothing new except now they care for Destiny.

pswii60

So nobody wanted Guerilla Cambridge.

AHA-Lambda

Skylanders is rumoured to be cancelled too, no?
Licensed division is gone?
Call of Duty is in decline.

Yeah...

EDIT: Oh yeah they're making Crash. Really seems like an outlier now that I list this stuff out, wonder why they did it. Sony pay them?

DJ Hero and Guitar Hero Live were both fantastic rhythm games and I hope Ubisoft lets FSG make more cool stuff and doesn't just turn them into a Just Dance machine.

AHA-Lambda

Nobody is buying plastic instruments. Unless Ubi wants to lose a lot of money a new DJ Hero like game is unlikely.

This, the "rebirth" of guitar hero and rock band flopped hard, and I have no idea who thge hell thought it was a good idea.

Plastic instrument genre is never coming back.

This is great news. Freestyle games is awesome (aside from thier terrible taste in Guitar based music,*cough* Guitar Hero Live *cough*).

But let's hope this means more music games from Ubisoft, and that Rocksmith sees a new iteration.

Activision could literally coast on by with just Blizzard, COD, and Destiny. It doesn't even matter if COD is in decline. Overwatch and Destiny 2 (if it's good) will keep them going for at least a decade.
This, the "rebirth" of guitar hero and rock band flopped hard, and I have no idea who thge hell thought it was a good idea.

Plastic instrument genre is never coming back.

I can see them making a DJ game that plays like Amplitude.

So nobody wanted Guerilla Cambridge.

This doesn't really make any difference anyway. When a studio has created a valuable IP, the owner will always keep it. So selling them off is effectively a worthless endeavour that any sensible businessperson would avoid buying them. I say this because, it's only talent that's left in the studio, and it'd be much cheaper to try and hire some of the talent once the studio closes as opposes to purchasing a studio for the talent itself.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Skylanders is rumoured to be cancelled too, no?
Licensed division is gone?
Call of Duty is in decline.

Yeah...

EDIT: Oh yeah they're making Crash. Really seems like an outlier now that I list this stuff out, wonder why they did it. Sony pay them?

At minimum, Vicarious Visions seems to be off of Skylanders, as they were just announced as a Destiny partner studio, and have the Crash remaster with some amount of staff (I'm guessing not a ton).

Toys For Bob could plausibly still be on the series, but it's unclear.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
I really enjoyed both DJ Hero games - and Guitar Hero Live brought the series back to releavance, GH TV was such a good idea.

Here's hoping Activision keeps the ball rolling on new material for GHTV for the time being.

wbEMX

Here's hoping Activision keeps the ball rolling on new material for GHTV for the time being.

I don't think that will happen without the studio that "made" the songs. Except if they pull in RavenSoft or Infinity Ward, a.k.a. never. And that's pretty damn sad.

Hopefully they don't push them on Rocksmith or Just Dance and they give them the freedom to pursue their own projects. Lord knows Ubisoft can take the risk of a new IP and it would certainly be interesting to see what FreeStyle could cook up.
No point in having 4 studios working on a declining franchise.
4 is a humble number.
You have Certain Affinity, Raven, Infinity Ward, Treyarch, Beenox, Neversoft, Sledgehammer Games and Mercenary Technology.

Development on Call of Duty is a titanic effort with a whole lot of hands on deck.

Tizoc

They haven't gotten rid of their Transformers publishing rights (or whatever the proper term is) though right? That and I think the Peanuts game is still available on digital services.

Kill3r7

Seeing the first decade of the '00 I could have sworn Activision would dominate gaming for a long time, but they have been going downhill in the recent years.

EA and Ubisoft invested in their own digital storefronts, what about Activision?

They have battlenet but they use it only for Blizzard products.

You do realize that Activision Blizzard is about 9x bigger than Ubi and is bigger than EA.

SFenton

What happens to GH Live now? Hopefully they won't abandon it..

Gut feeling is that they'll do the absolute minimum to keep it online (including maybe letting it be offline for a while and fixing it as a second priority), no new content, and when licenses expire it's done.

Ubisoft basically owns iNiS at this point too (iNiS' last few games have been through Ubisoft), so let's get Gitaroo Hero already.

Top Bottom