• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3/Wii : BestBuy availability

fabprems

retailinsider1165983232.jpg

Sorry if old....

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
A friend of mine, who is a manager at my neighborhood Gamestop in southwest Houston, got almost the exact same notice. They're receiving a shipment of Wii's on Friday, but can't sell them until Sunday.

That is honestly good news for the PS3 (I think).
It means that they are able to fall into a regular order and ship schedule instead of the "you will get it when we can get it to you" system.
The Wii holds I had heard of at a few places.
Gamestop is holding Wiis and PS3s for this sunday for some reason.

Arsenal

SCEA has made an announcement that no other units will be shipped in addition to the units already being manufactured.

Does this mean something other than "we are shipping everything we make as soon as we can."?

Best Buy document said:
SCEA has made an announcement that no other units will be shipped in addition to the units already being manufactured.

What does that mean?

It sounds like they closed down the manufacturing line and are just sending the last units going through the manufacturing line. Obviously, that interpretation is not correct. But I can't figure what they mean. Any clues?

Arsenal said:
Does this mean something other than "we are shipping everything we make as soon as we can."?

i'd say it means they arent going to hit the estimates they gave retailers.

that seems to be the only reason to state that they are sending everything they are making and you can't expect to get more; i.e. there is no Sony stockpile set to distribute on strategic days. they are admitting not making estimates from where im standing.

fabprems

Arsenal said:
I thought it was more like "we ship you what we have manufactured, and you will not receive before xmas the console we are manufacturing right now" ??

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, I'd love to score a Wii...but there is no way I'm going to stand outside in the cold waiting for one. I can't believe how difficult it is to obtain.

speculawyer said:
What does that mean?

It sounds like they closed down the manufacturing line and are just sending the last units going through the manufacturing line. Obviously, that interpretation is not correct. But I can't figure what they mean. Any clues?
I think it might mean that they're cutting off Best Buy allocation to fill demand for other retailers. Aren't there still people who still haven't gotten their preordered systems?

The Retail Misspeller

Hmm... minimum 40 units * 1100+ stores in US/Canada according to Wikipedia = 44,000+ Wii through Best Buy on December 17.

Best Buy document said:

Maybe they meant:

Best Buy document said:
SCEA has made an announcement that no other units will be shipped in addition to the units already being shipped.

Meaning "the last plane load is on its way, additional PS3s will only be arriving by boat."

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
speculawyer said:
Maybe they meant:

Meaning "the last plane load is on its way, additional PS3s will only be arriving by boat."

That's how I understood it. SCEA is being so secretive about shipments...it is kind of annoying.

shoplifter

"Customers shopping for other products will have the ability and be encouraged to purchase the gaming console."

Yes....I'm sure that they'll have them on the shelf once those people who want 'other products' arrive.

jluedtke

I can also confirm that all Best Buy employees received an email today stating that they are not allowed to purchase a Wii or PS3 until further notice. Good news for customers.

Leopold

Hey, hello ppl, this is my first post here.

I'd like to know about Wii availabity on other retailers, like Toys R Us or Nintendo Official Store.

Or even if Best Buy will have some kind of online sales.

I'd also like to know if there is one of those Best Buy stores on Times Square or around, or on err...Princeton or Columbia ( sorry, don't know sh*t about USA,I'm from Brasil ).

Sorry about grammar mistakes lol, not my first language.

Greeting form Rio de Janeiro, rofl.

Kolgar

I'm starting to believe what I heard about even the Sony store in San Fran saying they weren't getting any more PS3s for the year. What's going on?

Oh, and WTF at Ookie.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I can't make heads or tails of that Sony verbage, it could be translated a few different ways as already mentioned here.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Smiles and Cries said:
so am I the only one who hates this holding shit?
Nope and it isn't the best for Nintendo I'd imagine. Since I couldn't buy a Wii before I had a copy of Twilight Princess on GC then I'm afraid I have no reason to buy one before the next big Nintendo release be it Mario, Smash Bros, or Metroid. Good job Nintendo and retailers.

SleazyC

Could be prep for the Europe launch in March?

Or maybe they could just be stockpiling consoles to give retailes large chunks for the last couple days of the holiday rush.

andthebeatgoeson

Leopold said:
Hey, hello ppl, this is my first post here.

I'd like to know about Wii availabity on other retailers, like Toys R Us or Nintendo Official Store.

Or even if Best Buy will have some kind of online sales.

I'd also like to know if there is one of those Best Buy stores on Times Square or around, or on err...Princeton or Columbia ( sorry, don't know sh*t about USA,I'm from Brasil ).

Sorry about grammar mistakes lol, not my first language.

Greeting form Rio de Janeiro, rofl.
Go away. Stop stealing our jobs...err, Wiis. This is America buddy. American Wiis for American Boys.

Leopold

skinnyrattler said:
Go away. Stop stealing our jobs...err, Wiis. This is America buddy. American Wiis for American Boys.

Lol.

Please, they're selling here for about U$$ 1000.
Total rip-off.

I have a person there but she won't try to search one for me, I have to do everything, she'll just buy it.

Lol, don't need to steal a US job, have good ones in Brasil for me as a Law student (there is an specific term for this in english)?

Arsenal

SleazyC said:

Or maybe they could just be stockpiling consoles to give retailes large chunks for the last couple days of the holiday rush.

More likely they have just stopped shipping them by air and the next batch will come by boat.

andthebeatgoeson

Well, tell her to bring a warm blanket, coat, hat and gloves for the 17th. Most stores botched the Xbox 360 launch and we are paying for their mistakes. Now, they are holding these systems til Sunday. I think you could find a system online (target, walmart or some other places but they are offering bundles which would get you the system and some crappy games for 600 bucks. That'll be cheaper than getting it in Brazil. Other than that, it's luck and determination. She'll have to go early. 4 am early. We've been hearing rumors that the 17th will be the day big stores put out their remaining stock. I'm sure this has filtered to the parents and every gamer hoping to play this christmas day. For one, Christmas is a great time to get a bunch of gaming in. So, it'll be a huge demand. I think there has been campers at each of the last few sundays since black friday. Imagine that. It's not bad like launch camping but she'll have to be there early. No bs. If she can, tell her to get there before 5 am and earlier. Best buy will have some; it's a toss up if others will have them.

I was just joking about the jobs. American humor.

SleazyC said:

well... thats pretty much the exact opposite of what is said in the retail bulletin above so... yeah, you are probably right

Leopold said:
Lol.

Please, they're selling here for about U$$ 1000.
Total rip-off.

I have a person there but she won't try to search one for me, I have to do everything, she'll just buy it.

Lol, don't need to steal a US job, have good ones in Brasil for me as a Law student (there is an specific term for this in english)?

Unless your friend is willing to stand in line at 3am for 5 hours...no system for you

Leopold

skinnyrattler said:
Well, tell her to bring a warm blanket, coat, hat and gloves for the 17th. Most stores botched the Xbox 360 launch and we are paying for their mistakes. Now, they are holding these systems til Sunday. I think you could find a system online (target, walmart or some other places but they are offering bundles which would get you the system and some crappy games for 600 bucks. That'll be cheaper than getting it in Brazil. Other than that, it's luck and determination. She'll have to go early. 4 am early. We've been hearing rumors that the 17th will be the day big stores put out their remaining stock. I'm sure this has filtered to the parents and every gamer hoping to play this christmas day. For one, Christmas is a great time to get a bunch of gaming in. So, it'll be a huge demand. I think there has been campers at each of the last few sundays since black friday. Imagine that. It's not bad like launch camping but she'll have to be there early. No bs. If she can, tell her to get there before 5 am and earlier. Best buy will have some; it's a toss up if others will have them.

I was just joking about the jobs. American humor.

Lol, looks like some kind of Civil War.

Well, I'd be happy to get a Toys R Us Bundle, it isn't that bad, just MUA and Madden for bad games.
Damn, looks like I'll have to wait until next year.

Lol, we have some bizarre sense of humor too, but unfortunately it's about Portugal and black people (yes, it's racism, it's a crime too, but it happens.)

Looks like there is no chance to me u_u.

OokieSpookie said:
That is honestly good news for the PS3 (I think).
It means that they are able to fall into a regular order and ship schedule instead of the "you will get it when we can get it to you" system.
The Wii holds I had heard of at a few places.
Gamestop is holding Wiis and PS3s for this sunday for some reason.
I can't decide whether you are on heavy medication, or if you just didn't bother to read the newsletter.

There is a third option. It's that you are in such total and complete fanboy denial that you automatically assume that Sony news is good and Nintendo news is bad. Wake up.

Olivier

Some clerk at my local Toys R Us in Quebec told me that they're holding their Wiis too. They'll go on sale as soon as they advertise it in their flyers, which are out on saturdays. So it's going to be this saturday (most likely) or the 23rd (unlikely).

You guys are acting like holding merchandise for an upcoming ad is a new thing? Stores have been doing this for DECADES. If the item is in an upcoming ad, they hold it for that ad so there aren't mobs of people angry that they "falsely advertised" something as being in stock. They just don't hold video game stuff either, they hold things like tables and chairs and microwaves and stuff. Amazing...I know.

I've heard that pretty much every store int he country is holding them for the 17th, as though it were a second launch.

The reasoning in the OP above makes some damned good sense, I'd probably do the same thing if I were Best Buy.

I know some friends of mine are going camping in Tuscaloosa, and it's like a Target, Toys R Us, Circuit City, and Best Buy all in a row, and they're all holding for Sunday.

Kintaco

Olivier said:
Some clerk at my local Toys R Us in Quebec told me that they're holding their Wiis too. They'll go on sale as soon as they advertise it in their flyers, which are out on saturdays. So it's going to be this saturday (most likely) or the 23rd (unlikely).

Awesome, so am I at the moment.

Terrell

So wait... the US, the region Wii is supposed to bomb in, is leaping far past double the sales of PS3? This is insanity.

Top Bottom