• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park Creators backing off Trump.. "Satire has become reality"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The creators of "South Park" say they're backing off of satirizing the Donald Trump administration because they can't compete with real events.

During the presidential election, "South Park" certainly turned to Trump for some scathing plotlines. But the men behind the Comedy Central show, Trey Parker and Matt Stone, now say that they're wary of wading too much into material about the president.

"It's tricky now because satire has become reality," Parker told the Australian current-affairs program "7.30." "It's really hard to make fun of and in the last season of 'South Park,' which just ended a month and a half ago, we were really trying to make fun of what was going on, but we couldn't keep up. And what was actually happening was much funnier than anything we could come up with. So we decided to kind of back off and let them do their comedy and we'll do ours."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/so...s-become-reality/ar-AAmyohj?OCID=ansmsnnews11

When South Park determines you are too far gone to make fun of ... you done messed up.

Ban me from returning to my home country if old

Slayven

And what was actually happening was much funnier than anything we could come up with. So we decided to kind of back off and let them do their comedy
Real barrel of yuck yucks we are living in

It's for the best, the season before worked well as an on going story line, the subject matter was much needed for a good laugh, but last season fell on its own face imo. Except member berries, that was brilliant.

danm999

You know, I actually think this is a bigger problem for a show like House of Cards or Veep. Not necessarily South Park.

You could seriously make a whole season where South Park is in alternate reality where Trump never won, and make the whole joke that even though the usual crazy South Park shit happens, it still not as crazy as what is happening in the real world Trump universe.

rjinaz

i don't know I mean I kind of see their point. I mean what extremes can you take things to when Trump is already taking things to the extreme. At some point you lose the laughs because it seems to real.

They did pretty good making fun of Trump last season. I hope they at least touch Trump once or twice going forward though, especially when he does something really really stupid.

Slayven

But really the art of satire as passed them by. Once they were the cool kids being edgy, they stayed on long enough to be the old men yelling at the clouds

Ridley327

You would think that for a couple of guys that had an episode about the controversy of showing the image of the prophet Muhammed end with Jesus Christ literally shitting all over George W. Bush, that they would be able to find something as equally absurd for Trump.

I mean this is what they always do. Yeah, they're still funny when it comes to just how they craft a joke, but when it comes time to actually double down and say something with meaning in their satire they immediately bitch out.

It's been their MO for years and years and years now. They're ALWAYS trying to "both sides" their way out of making anybody pissed off.

It was better from Seasons 2-11 (probably right before the Family Guy episode) because it was an absurdist comedy with bits of satire in there because they had the ability to make a show reference something that literally just happened. But now that it's ONLY satire? It's horrible.

Not sure if serious? These are guys who have done shit that has got them death threats, I don't think this is cowardice.

I honestly think they're right, the Trump parody episodes should have been incredible but they were often being out done.

I'm inclined to agree.

It's hard to make fun of something so beyond fucked. It in a way normalizes it. You can't make fun of Trump acting like a crazy fascist because he really is one. At that point it's just an animated documentary.

Also: South Park went all in on Trump last season. I feel like some posters don't realize this. Th eye do both sides it up, but this time it was heavily anti Trump. "I have no fucking clue what I'm doing Caitlin!"

People calling it cowardice are completely missing the point. If they want to back off of the Garrison plot it's because they think it'll make for a better show.

Is SNL being brave doing weekly by the numbers skits on Trump?

Nudull

Banned
This, from the same show that went out of their way to crap on Osama bin Laden Looney Tunes-style, not long after 9/11?

Yeah, something's up.

You would think that for a couple of guys that had an episode about the controversy of showing the image of the prophet Muhammed end with Jesus Christ literally shitting all over George W. Bush, that they would be able to find something as equally absurd for Trump.

Didn't one of the characters literally rape Trump to death two seasons ago?

danm999

You could seriously make a whole season where South Park is in alternate reality where Trump never won, and make the whole joke that even though the usual crazy South Park shit happens, it still not as crazy as what is happening in the real world Trump universe.

It seems pretty clear they expected Clinton to win given how sloppy the back half of the season became after the election.

It also kind of raises WTH they plan to do about Garrison's character if they aren't satirising Trump anymore. Is he just out of the show...?

rjinaz

The latest season of southpark was the worst one yet. It was modern day simpsons bad

I hate to admit it but yeah, I stopped watching for the first time. Though honestly I think it was the reality of the politics of it all, I didn't want to see anymore Garrison/Trump on screen it lost the humor. I can see their point.

Feep

Banned
While I don't agree that anyone should "back off" for the lame reason listed, I personally have no desire to see more of the same. They lambasted Trump all through last season, and frankly, it wasn't particularly funny. More of that would be disappointing, at least to me.

At the same time, what a dumb fucking excuse.

Bronx-Man

Banned
People calling it cowardice are completely missing the point. If they want to back off of the Garrison plot it's because they think it'll make for a better show.

Is SNL being brave doing weekly by the numbers skits on Trump?
Considering they had Trump host the damn thing, hell no.

PixelatedBookake

I was disappointed with the path South Park has taken with these serialized episodes recently. I know some people like them, but I feel the show should deal with pop culture on a case by case basis instead of trying to tie everything together week-by-week.

Also a little bit of this feels like their trying not to alienate their Trump supporter alt-right fans. Maybe I'm crazy

So, basically this must have happened.

Comedy Central Exec: "Uh, we're gonna have to dump your show if you continue to dump on Trump."

Making a parody with Mr. Garrison was just stupid. They don't have the ability to carry a narrative over a season. They just don't.

nsr.gif

South Park is better than ever IMO. I won't mind them moving on from Trump if the episodes are great. They could show a crazy series of events if they stick with it lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom