• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Entire 2017 Sony TV lineup will support HDR - even all 1080p and a single 720p model!

DieH@rd

Banned
Yesterday Sony presented their entire TV lineup to the press, covering not only high end models presented at CES but also mid and lowrange models.

3D is dead, no 2017 TV from them supports it.Every TV will support HDR10 and all 2017 and HDR compatible 2016 models will get update for HLG standard for broadcast HDR codec. A1, ZD9 XE94 and XE93 will also support Dolby Vision. Sony is touting that all these TVs will be great for HDR gaming with PS4.

Full breakdown of their basic capabilities @ http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/sony-bravia-tv-series-model-numbers-explained

SONY BRAVIA 2017 TVS – ULTRA HD / 4K MODELS
A1 OLED – 75, 65 and 55 inches
ZD9 – 100, 75 and 65 inches (late 2016 model, continues into 2017)
XE94 – 75 inches
XE93 – 65 and 55 inches
XE90 – 75, 65, 55 and 49 inches
XE85 – 75, 65, and 55 inches
XE80 – 55, 49 and 43 inches

SONY BRAVIA 2017 TVS – FULL HD MODELS
WE75 – 49 and 43 inches [Triluminous]
WE66 – 49 and 40 inches
WE61 – 32 inches

FEATURE TVS [no Smart capability]
RE4 – 40 and 32 inches [32" is 720p but even it gets HDR support!!!]

Non-4K models don't have HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2... so no watching 4K bluray movies on them. Netflix and Amazon will supposedly work fine in HDR on them.

eXMomoj

It's easy for a TV to support HDR; the question is if these TVs have high enough peak brightness levels to make HDR worthwhile.

Copenap

Do we know when these will be released?

But yeah, don't get hyped too much, HDR on mid and entry level TVs is not close to full HDR potential.

BigEmil

All around good news good stuff! Im interested in 1080p TV's only
Sony is touting that all these TVs will be great for HDR gaming with PS4.
Maybe they focused on minimizing input lag with HDR enabled too or something

And the disconnect between Sony's PlayStation division and the TV division becomes even more glaring.

"HDR for everybody!"
"Nobody needs this newfangled HDR thing, let's not bother supporting it for people who have a PlayStation VR."

sasuke_91

They have been treating HDR like it was a 4K thing until now. Glad there's going to be 1080p panels that support HDR. I'll likely make the jump to HDR this year then. I just hope it's real HDR.

Gitaroo

they claim a lot of shit, like how their last year models were advertised as best for HDR 4K gaming but most of them were still trash tv with `60ms input lag even on their flagship like X940D. Shameless fucking piece of shit company. They released Android M update for a couple of their 2015 models, x850C to reduce the lag down to 31ms but didn't do shit for X810C. Their lies, laskluster customer ssupport and unwilling to communicate with anyone already pissed off a lot of the tv owners including myself. Stay away from their fucking tv.

If the price is reasonable and the input lag is good I am definitely getting one of the 1080p HDR sets this year. Finally time to upgrade from my 32" 720p TV. If both aren't met I'll just get a Vizio D-Series 1080p set.

jrcbandit

HDR without high peak brightness is pointless and often looks bad. So this doesn't mean much for 90% of their lineup... I don't even bother with HDR on my tv since I'm using the PSVR breakout box and poor HDR isn't worth bothering with flaky HDMI switches.

HDR is more difficult to appreciate without decent nits for brightness. I'm interested in hearing those details in addition to prices.

Ascenion

Now get Dolby Vision support for PS4 thanks

Doesn't Dolby Vision require hardware to be added to both the media player and the TV to be supported? I know the TV does so I'm thinking that PS4 support can't happen unless they add the hardware. Which means it's not gonna happen.

QaaQer

This sounds interesting:

As for speakers, you won’t find any. The Sony A1 is unique in the way it produces sound. Sony’s ‘Acoustic Surface’ tech places actuators behind the display, and they vibrate the screen to make it pump out sound

deadlast

I don't see why Sony isn't marketing this more. I want a new monitor for my work/gaming desk. I was pretty set between 2 monitors, until I heard about the possibility of having a 32in HDR tv. I don't really care about 4k but HDR has my interest.
Hopefully SOny will have pricing and more information on models next month.

I have a feeling HDR will be a big part of E3.

Vexii

So I'm wondering, how many sub-42 inch TVs support UHD resolutions? The reason I ask is because in my living situation right now I can't afford the space of anything bigger than a 42" screen, as the wall mount supports that size at maximum and we can't mount one anywhere else.

Top Bottom