• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For Honor Interview About Networking/P2P

Strakt

Didn't see this posted, but since its a widely discussed topic, I figured I'd post this:

http://www.in.techradar.com/news/mi...-relearn-how-to-play/articleshow/56960711.cms

"There's been a lot of discussion around dedicated servers vs P2P. Can you talk through the decision there?

JV: One thing that is not entirely clear to people is that we don't actually have a traditional peer to peer architecture. We have a new type of architecture that, while it's sort of based on a peer to peer philosophy, is actually there in order for us to do this game with eight players active simultaneously and then these two hundred AI running at the same time.

We were thinking about what to call it, but it isn't actually traditional peer to peer.
A lot of the complaints that I'm seeing online, not all of them but a lot of them, are actually just lag issues that have to do with normal network states.

That said, the game is built on that framework because without that framework there wouldn't be a game. We wouldn't be running the way that we are right now. I wish I could go into more detail.

At this point, it seems to be working the way that we anticipated. I'm not terribly concerned about the problem right now, but we're going to continue to look at the needs of the player base as we move forward.

I think there's often a sense within the community to read something off a spec sheet and then decide based on that whether something is good or bad, but then the implementation of that spec is often the far more important aspect of it. It sounds like your implementation of P2P ultimately is one that you're happy with, even if on the sheet it technically says P2P.

JV: Yeah, we run on a thing called ‘the simulation'. The way that our network system is built is that it's built around everything being 100% fair. So what you're seeing is what I'm seeing at the same time, there's no visual advantage in the game.

There's no host advantage?

JV: There's no host advantage. This is the part that is not well understood because our technology has not been used in the wild before on other games. We've been using it all along, but it's not something the audience is familiar with.

In our peer to peer solution it's not really peer to peer, it's based on that.

There was this moment that was really important. Six or eight months into development I had this moment where these engineers came to me and said, ”So, you want to do eight players running over a network and you wan to do that with two hundred AI, over a normal internet connection? This is your pitch?"

I said, ”Yes."

They say, ”That's impossible. I don't know if you understand how networks work designer boy but that can't be done."

Fortunately I work with these incredibly bright bulbs...and they come back a couple of months later with this thing called a simulation and they took a bunch of white papers for Siggraph which they assembled it into this new way of doing networking code, but when communicating it as a peer to peer model the problems with the other implementations kind of scare people, which is perfectly reasonable.

So we'll just see moving forward how it goes, and if there are actual problems then we'll reassess and see what we need to do."

wamberz1

JV: Yeah, we run on a thing called ‘the simulation’.

GA8VJQq.gif

Glad they gave a response to this, though I wish they had gone into a bit more of the detail. I guess for now we'll have to see how bad it gets at launch and react accordingly.

Skyzard

Banned
I'd rather have dedicated servers and 10 on 10 human players.

I like the game and I'll get it, but I'd be lying if I said the 4v4 dominion matches felt like epic battles. And the AI are pure fodder.

I like the game and I'll get it, but I'd be lying if I said the 4v4 dominion matches felt like epic battles. And the AI are pure fodder.

That would be a mess. Games already gets a little unworkable for most players when you go 1v2, pump up the player numbers so you can easily get away with roaming gank squads of 5 people and you just get whack-a-mole.

(Obviously the AI are fodder by design.)

I'd like to hear more about this new networking setup. I like what he's saying about fairness, but I have to say it didn't always feel this way in some of the betas.

Skyzard

Banned
That would be a mess. Games already gets a little unworkable for most players when you go 1v2, pump up the player numbers so you can easily get away with roaming gank squads of 5 people and you just get whack-a-mole.

I'd like to hear more about this new networking setup. I like what he's saying about fairness, but I have to say it didn't always feel this way in some of the betas.

Would be an epic mess though. 10v10 elimination mode is awesome in chivalry, and if you are getting ganked, chances are they are too since the numbers would balance out.

2v1 is not unworkable as when you block an attack it blocks it from all directions for a second (and you build revenge meter faster).

If you think 1v2 is unworkable you just need to L2P frankly. Not being an ass just saying.

Ain't that supposed to be the point for the AI pawns to be fodder? We're these legends on the battlefield destroying everything in our path until we encounter other legends, is how I see it. I love going in the middle of the map and having a duel in the center of the melee. There's just something about going at it with a opposing player, and while we swing at each other the AI pawns fly all over the place. :D

Skyzard

Banned
Ain't that supposed to be the point for the AI pawns to be fodder? We're these legends on the battlefield destroying everything in our path until we encounter other legends, is how I see it. I love going in the middle of the map and having a duel in the center of the melee. There's just something about going at it with a opposing player, and while we swing at each other the AI pawns fly all over the place. :D

It feels good to swing once and kill 6 people but they're barely even a consideration most of the time, I wish they'd bump them up tad to have more impact on the game.

I haven't played 4v4 without the ai yet, but I feel like it wouldn't even be that much different. Or at least, as different as it could be. I dunno, it's a minor point but I do wish they were a tad more meaningful so the battles feel larger.

drotahorror

So the 4v4 with creeps is only available via 'the simulation'. But what about 2v2's and 1v1's? Those could be done via dedicated servers. I mean the way they talk about it though....it's like dedicated servers wouldn't make a difference. Have they really achieved magic?

Ferrio

Banned
So the 4v4 with creeps is only available via 'the simulation'. But what about 2v2's and 1v1's? Those could be done via dedicated servers. I mean the way they talk about it though....it's like dedicated servers wouldn't make a difference. Have they really achieved magic?

Because dedicated is worse for those, especially 1v1? The smaller number of players there are the better P2P gets.

opricnik

Banned
I mean that would be waste of money. For a little effect on performance such a big money. No FG does dedicated stuff too.

How is this any different then AC games multiplayer btw? Were they running on Dedicated? I remember seeing things like host left we are changing host

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So what you're seeing is what I'm seeing at the same time, there's no visual advantage in the game.

JLawOkay.gif

Because that's totally true in P2P... mmhmm, right.

How is this any different then AC games multiplayer btw? Were they running on Dedicated? I remember seeing things like host left we are changing host

It's not. All Ubisoft games outside of like the Division uses P2P. The only difference is, Ass Creed's multiplayer works with no need for frame-perfect timings. Which is where fighting games (and by proxy, For Honor) fails. I doubt going dedicated servers would help, they need to use GGPO-like roll-back code when someone lags, which brings a whole host of issues. It's generally a "no win" situation there.

-Deimos

2v1 is definitely not unworkable. It's pretty easy, in fact, when fighting 2 noobs.
It feels good to swing once and kill 6 people but they're barely even a consideration most of the time, I wish they'd bump them up tad to have more impact on the game.

I haven't played 4v4 without the ai yet, but I feel like it wouldn't even be that much different. Or at least, as different as it could be. I dunno, it's a minor point but I do wish they were a tad more meaningful so the battles feel larger.

Have you played Elimination? It's a pretty fresh experience from Dominion and you can get some pretty epic battles going when you have 8 heroes fighting it out with no respawns.

Skyzard

Banned
Have you played Elimination? It's a pretty fresh experience from Dominion and you can get some pretty epic battles going when you have 8 heroes fighting it out with no respawns.

I haven't yet, I'm glad to hear that. Looking forward to hopefully trying it out in the upcoming beta
unlike your lucky ass

Kieli

Gold-covered shit is still gold. Or shit.

I dunno, I'm struggling to come up with a metaphor right now.

Networking is hard, yo.

Squishy3

I mean the AI exists so that the "B" point is always in flux throughout the match, as your side needs to be on the other side in order for your team to capture it. Additionally, it doesn't restore health when captured like A and C do.

arhra

Why can't they explain how it works in more detail? Because it's proprietary?

If they're actually doing something clever and new, they might have a presentation lined up for GDC or somewhere, and don't want to talk about it until they can present the full technical details.

Or maybe they're just bullshitting, who knows.

I remember the designers of the one the recent Call of Duty games (Ghosts or AW maybe) claimed they had 'hybrid' dedicated servers. What it actually meant was that if you lived in one of the handful of places where they decided to put dedicated servers you'd connect to those and the rest of the world would be using P2P. One of many examples of developers trying to bullshit their way out of just admitting that they use a P2P framework.

Because it is p2p

If they actually explained what it did, people would get mad. This way they can call it whatever they want and spin it.

Yup.

Either they have invented a completely new paradigm for networking that no one else ever has, or they're using regular old P2P. You decide if Occam's Razor applies here or not.

atr0cious

It's really easy to block so you tend to lose by attrition in a 2 v 1 situation. It's hard to get a lucky OHK, unlike Chivalry.
Disagree, just learn to block and parry, and after like 3 blocks pop your revenge, then if still surrounded, use your area attack by pressing light and heavy at the same time. I win more 2v1s than 1v1 because someone is always too eager and just fills my revenge bar. Just don't corner yourself and you'll win, especially if you can utilise friendly fire.

Arken2121

I know I may come off a bit as a fanboy due to my history of such praise for this game but hear me out. Outside of the whole "host/person disconnecting" the game feels very optimized. Outside of MAYBE a handle of times to where I was blocking and the attack went through(even though my internet is pretty pristine), it's been pretty stellar. Don't get me wrong, i'd prefer dedicated servers since it benefits everyone. Who knows, maybe they'll flip the switch(just like Rainbow 6).

I honestly am not sure what networking tech they're working with but it feels smooth/responsive the vast majority of the time. If your opponents internet is shit, it's shit regardless of p2p/dedicated servers.

wamberz1

I know I may come off a bit as a fanboy due to my history of such praise for this game but hear me out. Outside of the whole "host/person disconnecting" the game feels very optimized. Outside of MAYBE a handle of times to where I was blocking and the attack went through(even though my internet is pretty pristine), it's been pretty stellar. Don't get me wrong, i'd prefer dedicated servers since it benefits everyone. Who knows, maybe they'll flip the switch(just like Rainbow 6).

I honestly am not sure what networking tech they're working with but it feels smooth/responsive the vast majority of the time. If your opponents internet is shit, it's shit regardless of p2p/dedicated servers.
This is pretty much the position/viewpoint I'm in. Yeah, when people leave the game goes all groundhog day, but aside from that I don't remember having any issues really across all 3 betas except maybe 1 or 2 times in regards to typical high ping glitches.

-Deimos

This is pretty much the position/viewpoint I'm in. Yeah, when people leave the game goes all groundhog day, but aside from that I don't remember having any issues really across all 3 betas except maybe 1 or 2 times in regards to typical high ping glitches.

Same here. Almost flawless gameplay except for the occasional host migration, which happens rarely. It actually saves my ass most of the time.

Arken2121

Since we all know they're implementing a Ranked/tournament mode down the line, that might be what uses dedicated servers(just like Rainbow 6). Obviously I can't say for sure.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Exactly. Reads like total horseshit. It's p2p and they are just trying to make it sound special.
No one uses P2P anymore. It's probably a listen server.

Disagree, just learn to block and parry, and after like 3 blocks pop your revenge, then if still surrounded, use your area attack by pressing light and heavy at the same time. I win more 2v1s than 1v1 because someone is always too eager and just fills my revenge bar. Just don't corner yourself and you'll win, especially if you can utilise friendly fire.
Everyone just runs when you pop revenge.

Nasbin

For Honor is a fighting game, so of course it uses P2P like every other online-enabled FG in existence. It's really a shame to watch FUD spread around reddit and gaf like dedicated servers are something you should want or expect from a game like this. You might as well call up Ed Boon and Harada and ask why Injustice 2 and Tekken 7 won't have dedicated servers. There's no benefit to adding a middleman in a 1v1 / 2v2 fighting game.

LordRaptor

It says they're preparing a siggraph talk on it, so it might be doing something special (even though siggraph is primarily a computer graphics forum for peer review) but its pretty clear that the person being interviewed doesn't actually particularly know what he is talking about on a technical level.

drotahorror

For Honor is a fighting game, so of course it uses P2P like every other online-enabled FG in existence.

Yeah I was just thinking that.

Why is For Honor (a third person fighting game when you get down to it) being looked down upon due to p2p when every other fighting game does not? Also, For Honor's netcode felt really good to me. I honestly only had one occasion where the person was laggy as fuck and it was giving the person an advantage. That's out of maybe 10-15 hours of play across the 3 betas.

Armaros

For Honor is a fighting game, so of course it uses P2P like every other online-enabled FG in existence. It's really a shame to watch FUD spread around reddit and gaf like dedicated servers are something you should want or expect from a game like this. You might as well call up Ed Boon and Harada and ask why Injustice 2 and Tekken 7 won't have dedicated servers. There's no benefit to adding a middleman in a 1v1 / 2v2 fighting game.
Maybe If other fighting games had 4v4 as their main and most played mode then comparisons between normal FGs and For Honor could work.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
They probably have some advanced lag faking for the host with fancy prediction and physics rollbacks.
Solutions to nails are gonna look like hammers, etc.

Siggraph is about graphics, so i don't quite get why a novel networking approach would be there.

Also, why would a 200-ai, 8-player game be infeasible? Ever heard abou that little genre called MOBA?
AIs are fodder anyway, not something you time animations against. It can jank a little and nobody would notice, you don't need player-side prediction like PCs.

Yeah, except AI is involved, so host advantage is a thing.

No one uses P2P anymore. It's probably a listen server.

Everyone just runs when you pop revenge.

"But host has advantage"
"What if we made the host run both the game and the listen server, and hardcoded 30-50ms of lag between the listen server and the local client?"
*head explodes*

Also, P2P is so dead that when anyone says "p2p" what they mean is "listen server", because seriously who the fuck uses P2P (Well maybe lockstep games)

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
they took a bunch of white papers for Siggraph

why is this always mentioned when someone is trying to bullshit their way out of a corner? like they found some magic new tech from the future that explains away all your concerns.

2v1 is not unworkable as when you block an attack it blocks it from all directions for a second (and you build revenge meter faster).

If you think 1v2 is unworkable you just need to L2P frankly. Not being an ass just saying.

2v1 is definitely not unworkable. It's pretty easy, in fact, when fighting 2 noobs.

So let's take bets, then: I expect lots of reviewers and players are going to be complaining about 1v2 fights, because it "gets a little unworkable for most players". You guys have a much higher opinion of more casual gamers than I do.

Obviously I didn't say it's actually 100% unworkable, because that would be dumb.

-Deimos

So let's take bets, then: I expect lots of reviewers and players are going to be complaining about 1v2 fights, because it "gets a little unworkable for most players". You guys have a much higher opinion of more casual gamers than I do.

Obviously I didn't say it's actually 100% unworkable, because that would be dumb.

I wasn't really talking about super casual players, but I'll say that I expect complaints about 2v1 to be minimal, at least from reviewers.

Top Bottom