• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crisis Core Final Fantasy 7: new details

Crisis Core (Action RPG) is playable during this weekend at Jump Festa.

1166262238_DSC_8832.jpg

1166262238_DSC_9064.jpg

1166262238_DSC_9065.jpg

1166262238_DSC_9067.jpg

""Gameplay:

First, the bad news. Reports indicate that it was nearly impossible to take photographs due to security.

The Crisis Core Demo features two missions, Wutai Invasion and Ifrit Battle. Each includes cutscenes, field navigation, enemy encounters, and a boss battle. Details in the plot remain shaky, however the Wutai Invasion mission mentions a new character known as Colonel (Captain?) Razard or Razard, and the Ifrit Battle mission has a man with glasses and short, fair hair.

While navigating the field, enemies will appear and you will enter combat with a seamless transition. In battle, the L and R buttons are used to cycle through commands, the Circle button is used to execute the selected action, and the Square and Triangle buttons are used for dodging and defending. The camera can be controlled freely.

In battle, actions consume Action Points, or AP, as well as conventional MP for magic, and using the same action repeatedly, such as in a 3-hit combo, consumes more AP. The Slots appear to deal with Zack's memories, and are a key factor in combat. Their primary use is to restore consumed points, and as such, can be utilized to time out attacks more effectively. However, by lining up three of the same character, you draw out Zack's memories, and can gain various special effects, such as "Actions Cost no AP" or "Reduced MP Cost", adding an even deeper layer of strategy to combat.

Trailer:

A new trailer was showcased in the "Closed Megatheater", similar to the one at TGS. These are just a few details which have surfaced. Please keep in mind that things are still sketchy.

- The trailer begins where the TGS trailer left off, with Genesis yelling about the "Shinra dogs".

- Scene where Zack jumps down to the train.

- The mission Zack and Tseng are on is to track down Genesis, who went missing during combat in Wutai a month earlier, though Sephiroth was originally supposed to go, not Zack.

- A new character named Razard, who appears to be a superior to Zack and Angeal, though he may have a position more like Tseng's.
- Razard: "With Angeal's nomination, you have a clear shot to 1st."
- Zack becomes very excited and jumps at Angeal, who instantly brushes him off.

- Sephiroth and Zack find a corpse in a forest.
- Zack: "Genesis!?"
- Sephiroth: "It's different, a Genesis Copy."
- Zack: "A human clone!?"

- Sephiroth: "Angeal is a traitor."
- Zack: "That- Angeal isn't like that!"

- In some remote region, Zack and a Shinra troop are talking.
- Zack: "Where are you from?"
- Troop: "Nibelheim."
- Zack: "Hehehe, I'm from Gongaga! When it comes to remote regions, the two of us shouldn't be afraid of anything. What's your name?"
- The troop, laughing, removes his helmet, revealing himself to be Cloud.
- Cloud: "I'm Cloud."

- An airborne battle between Genesis, Angeal, and Sephiroth.

Last, but not least, the special gift given to those who went to the Crisis Core booth is a special PSP carrying pouch that features the game's logo.""

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
ethelred said:
Gameplay-wise, yeah, it's sounding pretty good.

The story, on the other hand...

Oh yeah, lol total. :lol

I can't wait for the gackt figure to be introduced.

Jenga

Banned
ethelred said:
Gameplay-wise, yeah, it's sounding pretty good.

The story, on the other hand...
...sounds like a weird fanfiction. Especially when put together with AC and DoC

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
ant1532 said:
DoC didn't sound that bad either. But you know the rest.

Ain't getting in high hopes this time

No, Japanese developer that had never done that kind of game successfully doing third person shooter definitely had that distinctly bad sound to me. :lol

ethelred

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Oh yeah, lol total. :lol

I can't wait for the gackt figure to be introduced.

I'm trying not to call it "emo." I don't want 2ch to get pissed off at us again. So how about
really ****ing stupid
?

RaijinFY

ant1532 said:
DoC didn't sound that bad either. But you know the rest.

Ain't getting in high hopes this time

DoC sounded bad from the start since it was intended to be a third person-shooter done by SE. :p

jiang

While navigating the field, enemies will appear and you will enter combat with a seamless transition. In battle, the L and R buttons are used to cycle through commands, the Circle button is used to execute the selected action, and the Square and Triangle buttons are used for dodging and defending. The camera can be controlled freely.

sounds like that kingdom hearts game for gameboy or crystal chronicals

Im hyped....not surprised at the usual hate though...I find taste in this place rather bizaar...theres alot of anti-mainstream mainstream...its got its own trend...but its still just a played out trend

nevermind, no point in getting involved here

peace

Please tell me you can roam the world. If it's some straight forward shit, they can keep this Gackt merchandising.

Edit: Oh, I didn't read the word "missions". Piece of shit.

ssoass

nelsonroyale said:
Im hyped....not surprised at the usual hate though...I find taste in this place rather bizaar...theres alot of anti-mainstream mainstream...its got its own trend...but its still just a played out trend

nevermind, no point in getting involved here

peace

Given the fact that everything in the compilation of FF7 so far has been extremely mediocre, it only makes sense that people are skeptical of it, it has absolutely nothing to do with mainstream or not, that's just a lame excuse.
If it had to with being anti mainstream, MGS, Halo, and Resident Evil would be hated on too, yet they're not as they've been consistently excellent. (FF has too, just not the FF7 spinoff series)

ssoass said:
Given the fact that everything in the compilation of FF7 so far has been extremely mediocre, it only makes sense that people are skeptical of it, it has absolutely nothing to do with mainstream or not, that's just a lame excuse.
If it had to with being anti mainstream, MGS, Halo, and Resident Evil would be hated on too, yet they're not as they've been consistently excellent. (FF has too, just not the FF7 spinoff series)

whatever....by your flawed logic if one aspect of popular culture is criqued all must...I was singling my opint to ff

duckroll

nelsonroyale said:
whatever....by your flawed logic if one aspect of popular culture is criqued all must...I was singling my opint to ff

Your logic is just as flawed. Considering the game is from the director of Before Crisis and Agito XIII, this clearly isn't Square-Enix's A-team working on it. People have the right to be skeptical.

peace

The gameplay seems like its from Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories in that its action, but you select your action from cards and then one button executes them, but the difference is the card doesnt go away after you used it and you dont need to reshuffle.

Matix

Linkzg said:
The gameplay seems like its from Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories in that its action, but you select your action from cards and then one button executes them, but the difference is the card doesnt go away after you used it and you dont need to reshuffle.

Yea, your right, it does seem pretty similar to KH-COM (didn't notice that at first).

duckroll said:
Your logic is just as flawed. Considering the game is from the director of Before Crisis and Agito XIII, this clearly isn't Square-Enix's A-team working on it. People have the right to be skeptical.

peace

funny, I never in any way said the game was going to be good at all...I said that people blindly hating on the game...are doing just that hating without, proof of quality yet.

I mean Ive been impressed with what I have seen so far, when I thought dirge of cerebus would be rubbish from the start...

peace

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
nelsonroyale said:
funny, I never in any way said the game was going to be good at all...I said that people blindly hating on the game...are doing just that hating without, proof of quality yet.

I mean Ive been impressed with what I have seen so far, when I thought dirge of cerebus would be rubbish from the start...

peace
Perhaps not, but 'hyped' generally implies blind faith towards the positive realm, while many others have grounded skepticism.
Pick your poison.

xaosslug

i'm hoping this game won't suck huge, hairy donkey balls. But regardless, I'm looking forward to it none the less.

d[-_-]b

Banned
this game was the reason I got the psp and still waiting for it :(. I remember when EB had this listed for June 2006. Then July Then August and so on....

ant1532

Banned
I don't understand why people say they just buy their PSP for this game... Why don't you just buy the damn system when the game comes out

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
ant1532 said:
I don't understand why people say they just buy their PSP for this game... Why don't you just buy the damn system when the game comes out
You need justification to buy something. A thing the PSP is sorely lacking.
I mean, shit, I bought the PSP for potential alone, and that was a grave mistake.

ant1532

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
I mean, shit, I bought the PSP for potential alone, and that was a grave mistake.
exactly. Why not till the thing has the games, instead of buying it and just waiting for that one thing. Save that money and use it for something else until then.

Okay, I'm surprised that this is even still around. Wasn't it announced in early 2004? This better be the best damn game ever if so.

theBishop

Banned
RevenantKioku said:

have you been sleeping through all of 2006?

1up has played this game today and it seems they liked it.

Crisis Core's demo is available for attendees to play, and it seems like FF fans need not worry about the game's quality: "Combat in Crisis Core takes place in pseudo-real-time, not unlike Final Fantasy XII, though there's only one playable character (FFVII fan favorite Zack), and the action is a lot more active. During battle you find yourself constantly mashing the attack button to pull off combos or backstab enemies for extra damage, but you can dodge and defend as well, and you can use the L and R buttons to cycle through your items and magic attacks... With the stunning visuals and interesting battle system we saw today, it seems to be headed in the right direction."

Matix

Robinspain said:
1up has played this game today and it seems they liked it.

Crisis Core's demo is available for attendees to play, and it seems like FF fans need not worry about the game's quality: "Combat in Crisis Core takes place in pseudo-real-time, not unlike Final Fantasy XII, though there's only one playable character (FFVII fan favorite Zack), and the action is a lot more active. During battle you find yourself constantly mashing the attack button to pull off combos or backstab enemies for extra damage, but you can dodge and defend as well, and you can use the L and R buttons to cycle through your items and magic attacks... With the stunning visuals and interesting battle system we saw today, it seems to be headed in the right direction."

Anticipation increasing...

RevenantKioku said:
Perhaps not, but 'hyped' generally implies blind faith towards the positive realm, while many others have grounded skepticism.
Pick your poison.

oh shit...it gets worse...I think the poison your looking for is labled 'semantics'...lets not start a conversation on this crap though

peace

theBishop said:
have you been sleeping through all of 2006?
but havent you heard?? PSP has no good games!!!!!

and whatever few good scoring games it has, it MUST BE FLUKES or MONEYHATS involved!!!

Sony R Evil

theBishop

Banned
frAntic_Frog said:
but havent you heard?? PSP has no good games!!!!!

and whatever few good scoring games it has, it MUST BE FLUKES or MONEYHATS involved!!!

Sony R Evil

Oh, don't get me wrong, Sony is evil. I've seen the secret videos of Ken Kutaragi and Kaz Hirai eat a live baby.

Also, Sony is now dropping Moneyhats by air to the doorsteps of every critic and game developer on the planet.

But Daxter is still a damn good game.

IGN hands on

http://psp.ign.com/articles/751/751423p1.html

"Crisis Core has action and menu-based elements. You have full control over Zack when moving around, and can rotate the camera with the left and right triggers. Every now and then, you'll get into a random battle. The battle takes place on the same screen as regular movement, with no transition or loading."

"Battles consist of multiple enemies on screen at once, sometimes totaling over 12. Some enemies can be taken out with standard blade attacks, while others are positioned on higher ground and require that they be knocked out with spells. As you might expect, some spells are more effective against certain enemies; a fire spell won't work against Ifreet, for instance.

I couldn't figure out a way to target specific enemies. It seems that the game automatically targets the closest enemy, and changes the target automatically as you move around. This wasn't a problem in the demo, and that will hopefully be the case in the final."

"Taken strictly on technical merits, Crisis Core is the most impressive PSP game I've ever played. In fact, with the PSP's small screen providing an assist, I'd go so far as to say that Crisis Core looks better than most PS2 games out there."

"The Ifreet boss was particularly impressive. In addition to showing off gorgeous fire effects, with Ifreet himself engulfed in flames as he fights, at one point during the demo, Ifreet cast a full-motion-video based summon spell of his own. The game managed to switch into and out of the full motion video sequence without turning to a blank screen.

Crisis Core seems almost too technically sound to be a PSP game. "

Top Bottom