• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix BD2 conducting Graphical Experiments using FFXV and Luminous Studio

benzy

"The team working on Final Fantasy XV is conducting technical experiments using the game as a development environment.

Final Fantasy XV‘s graphics are already very impressive, but Square Enix isn’t just stopping there. The team working on the game at Business Division 2 is conducting technical experiments on visual fidelity by using Final Fantasy XV as a development environment, as DualShockers learned during a visit at the publisher’s headquarters in Tokyo.

Before I go on, I have to warn you that this is not a product at the moment, but simply a technical experiment made to see what can be done with the game and the engine. In fact, in order to run properly it requires an extremely beefy PC powered by two Pascal GTX 1080 video cards running in SLI configuration.

Unfortunately, I cannot show you what these technical experiments look like, but Director Hajime Tabata kindly allowed me to take a look and to tell you about their existence, and I will admit that for a moment I couldn’t believe my eyes.

Vegetation, draw distance, density, detail… Everything on the screen appeared extremely vivid and lifelike, and considering that I’m used to what games look like nowadays, for a moment it was difficult to believe that all that visual glitz was actually running in-engine. It certainly looked like Final Fantasy XV, but pushed to limits of graphical fidelity that I didn’t even imagine while playing the game. And yet, there it was, running right in front of my eyes.

At the moment we don’t know what this kind of technical experiment could be used for, but it’s certainly a very impressive piece of tech, that turns Final Fantasy XV‘s already beautiful and lush environments in a dreamy peek on what video games could look like in the future where this kind of hardware will be more widespread among gamers."

http://www.dualshockers.com/2017/02...ing-final-fantasy-xv-development-environment/

That PC tease.

Maybe Luminous won't be completely abandoned after all?

I know we've all speculated that it's a hard engine to work with, but after playing XV, it would be a total waste to scrap it.

Pejo

Gold Member
Aw, was hoping to see the vid. I was really impressed with FFXV's engine, glad to see there may still be some legs on it.

FFXV definitely look like a game that was held back by the target hardware it had to be released on.
Now I wonder if these are exagerations from Dualshocker or if it indeed looked that amazing.

~Cross~

Maybe Luminous won't be completely abandoned after all?

I know we've all speculated that it's a hard engine to work with, but after playing XV, it would be a total waste to scrap it.

I dont think the issue is as simple as "Its hard to work with" and more like its development to large open worlds was difficult because of the lack of experience from the staff and tweaking the engine to work with that. Luminous from the start was developed to be scalable and easy to use.

FFXIV 2.0+ uses a stripped down version of Luminous and they whip out content for it faster than any other MMO developer could.

I dont think the issue is as simple as "Its hard to work with" and more like its development to large open worlds was difficult because of the lack of experience from the staff and tweaking the engine to work with that. Luminous from the start was developed to be scalable and easy to use.

FFXIV 2.0+ uses a stripped down version of Luminous and they whip out content for it faster than any other MMO developer could.

AFAIK, XIV only uses some lighting portions of Luminous.

LordKasual

Banned
This is literally the most uplifting news i've heard from square in a long time. I was afraid they were gonna smash-n-dash with Luminous Studio like they did Crystal Tools.

The engine is clearly capable. I was afraid it was shaping up to be a disaster until the optimized version of XV was released and proved me wrong. XIV is using some form of its architecture too and that game looks amazing for what it runs on as well. And the XIV team is clearly comfortable with it because XIV gets a ridiculous range of content updates with each patch.

If they can actually manage 60FPS on PS4 Pro + Lite settings, then the PC version of this engine is going to be a monster. If the PC version could achieve XV cutscene graphical quality at 60fps during gameplay...

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
AFAIK, XIV only uses some lighting portions of Luminous.

Not true. The FF142.0 engine entirely is a different engine from Luminous, but share similar workflows from being developed at the same time by many of the same people.

Your probably thinking of Versus 13, which used the luminous lighting engine for a small time before moving wholesale to the engine

By the time ffxv makes it to pc, they can power this demonstration on one card.

Just go all out on the port and put a spec disclaimer on the steam page, guys. Tired of the waiting and cockteasing already.

Rymuth

Trying to salvage Luminous, I take it. Well, as long as it doesn't interfere with future entries, have fun with it.

LordKasual

Banned
Not true. The FF142.0 engine entirely is a different engine from Luminous, but share similar workflows from being developed at the same time by many of the same people.

Your probably thinking of Versus 13, which used the luminous lighting engine for a small time before moving wholesale to the engine

I recall YoshiP saying they used part of the lighting tech for luminous on XIV. Anyone's guess on what that means.

Trying to salvage Luminous, I take it. Well, as long as it doesn't interfere with future entries, have fun with it.

What's there to salvage? They released a game on it already, it looks amazing and all things considered it runs pretty well too.

Einhander

I would just like a proper FFXVI teaser trailer, and a relatively short development cycle. Is that too much to ask for?

I'm already over FFXV. It was enjoyable, but I'm not treating it as if it's an MMO. Square clearly is, with the steady flow of updates and DLC. Meh.

Banned
Kill this engine with fire. What a train wreck. There's a reason all of Square Enix's future Japanese projects got switched to Unreal 4.

Kill this engine with fire. What a train wreck. There's a reason all of Square Enix's future Japanese projects got switched to Unreal 4.

Yes, because the engine was still in developpement as FFXV was. I don't think the engine is bad, it was just unfinished and targeting slower hardware.

Ray Down

Banned
I would just like a proper FFXVI teaser trailer, and a relatively short development cycle. Is that too much to ask for?

I'm already over FFXV. It was enjoyable, but I'm not treating it as if it's an MMO. Square clearly is, with the steady flow of updates and DLC. Meh.

Games as a service are becoming more and more popular, that's why.

Banned
Yes, because the engine was still in developpement as FFXV was. I don't think the engine is bad, it was just unfinished and targeting slower hardware.
Perhaps. I know we were told by insiders that FFXV was practically being held together with glue and tape (regarding its code) lol.

jett

D-Member
There must be some thick-as-fuck people in high level positions at Squeenix. The idea that they should develop their own engines should be wiped out.

LordKasual

Banned
Perhaps. I know we were told by insiders that FFXV was practically being held together with glue and tape (regarding its code) lol.

Have you ever played a videogame held together by glue and tape?

XV does not resemble any such game. You should go play Sonic Adventure again.

Edit:

nvm i forgot this was an XV thread, carry on lol

This engine is shit guys, i wish they'd stop chasing western bullshit and just do what they're good at

Engine tests for a game that's already released... It's like they're inventing new ways to spin their wheels rather than actually work any of their announced projects.
Knowing what you can do with your engine is pretty good knowledge to have when your team is between games and mostly working on DLC and patches.

LordKasual

Banned
Knowing what you can do with your engine is pretty good knowledge to have when your team is between games and mostly working on DLC and patches.

Not really. The engine is garbage just like the game. i mean have you even seen the shadow draw distance? It's a perfect example of everything wrong with Squenix lately.

They should just forget all the time and effort put into the engine and make more WoFF spinoffs

Einhander

Games as a service are becoming more and more popular, that's why.

I get that, but FFXV isn't really a good choice to use for that. Games like FFXIV, Overwatch, FF Brave Exvius, and FF Mobius are. MMORPGs, MMOs in general, online multiplayer FPS games, and mobile gatcha games work best as service-oriented games.

Trago

FFXV definitely look like a game that was held back by the target hardware it had to be released on.
Now I wonder if these are exagerations from Dualshocker or if it indeed looked that amazing.

I mean, if they guy saw it, we gotta take his word for it.

And damn straight consoles held the game back. I look forward to seeing how they handle the PC port.

Look at all these posts acting like they're going to ditch an engine that in most ways is on par with what Witcher 3 is doing on consoles and in some ways surpases it.

Of course the XV team is going to keep using it.

Gitaroo

they should use crystal dynamics engine from tomb raider, seems extremely scalable and definitely does not look worse than FFXV.

Famassu

Other than you being obviously misguided as to the reasoning to choosing UE4, what, exactly, prompted such a childish tempter tantrum response in this particular piece of news? They are just testing the limits of the engine they spent a long time developing, I hardly see anything worth being so negative about with this. Using FFXV as a base of these "experiments" is a cheap(er) way of just seeing how far they can stretch the engine with hardware that already exists than always doing separate tech demos like Agni's Philosophy.

HeelPower

They should probably conduct experiments on proper gameplay and writing.

Obsession with graphics to the point of self destruction.

mortal

Gold Member
All of that information means absolutely nothing to me if I can't experience any of that in a proper game for myself.

We've done this song and dance before with Square Enix, I'm not interested in repeating that.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I really hope they do not scrap this engine. After FOX Engine...

We need more unique engines.
Wtf does this even mean in the context of what a game engine is doing? And yes this is most likely a waste of time on Square's part, there are very clearly moments in the game where the visuals are insanely inconsistent due to the engine being stretched to it's very limit and they struggled quite a bit with development long after the main toolset had been finished. Square should bite the bullet on this one like Capcom did with MT Framework. ಠ_ಠ

Top Bottom