• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Announces Castlevania series for 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lifeline

Wwj1VX.jpg

Retro

Given the quality of the series since the 90s, my expectations are super low for this. It is also unlikely to spur the development of any games, or at least, the kind of games the series deserves.

I'd welcome being proven wrong though, Castlevania is long overdue for a proper return to form.

I lost most of my interest once I read it's going to be an animated tv show :(

You want a generic looking live action thing with cosplay level costumes and shitty effects? I'd wager it'd take a much larger budget than what they're giving this to pull off something decent in live action.

Warren Ellis Wikipedia said:
It has recently been announced that Ellis is writing the screenplay for an animated feature film, Castlevania: Dracula's Curse, produced by Frederator Studios of Hollywood and New York. It will be based on the similarly titled video game Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse.

I wonder if it's still based on Castlevania 3...

If this is still the same Castlevania project that was in limbo, this is an animated adaptation of Dracula's Curse.

Since Warren Ellis is listed under the writing credits, it looks that way. Basically, for those unaware, it was in development for YEARS, is a retelling of the events of Dracula's Curse (Trevor Belmont, Alucard, Sypha Belnades and Grant DeNasty are all supposed to appear) and IGA(yeah, that long ago) was giving Warren notes on the games and the storyline, while signing off on the script. Don't know how much it has changed since then, though.

jonno394

I'm hyped. After Bomberman i wonder if konami can get an old school castlevania game out for switch between seasons?

poodaddy

YES GIVE IT TO ME

Frederator is an animation studio.

It's being made by Frederator Studios
All right thanks for the info fellas. I was stoked but my hype is now completely deflated lol. Not a big anime fan, but then again who knows, it could still be pretty great. I'll keep it on the radar.

I will begrudgingly admit that when my daughter watches Adventure Time it does make me chuckle every once in a while, but I'm hoping this show isn't anything like Adventure Time. Has Frederator ever had a more serious project? If so, was it good?

Yeah, I have to believe a lot of people let their nostalgia take over here. MK was a fun movie when I was 15. Tried watching it last year and other than a couple fights (Scorp/Johnny & Liu/Reptile) it was fucking horrible.

I never got what people saw in it. It's about as bad as all of Anderson's other movies. Enjoyable to a degree, again like most of Anderson's movies but IMO the Silent Hill movie was a lot better (still problems but solid cinematography/general filmmaking going on)

wildfire

Banned
Unless it looks like Vampire Hunter D (which it won't), I have little faith in it being good, to be honest

But it has Adi Shakar as a producer. Sometimes a producer has creative control and considering this is a big project for Shakar in a long time I would say he's going to be hands on and that's a a really good thing if you like his work.

If you have never seen it I suggest browsing his youtube channel to form your opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/user/AdiShankarBrand/playlists

Specifically check out his One Shot Bootleg playlists before drifting into the other areas.

I think if done right a live action Castlevania could be really cool. Maybe someday...

I can settle with it being animated, hopefully it will turn out well.

The movie was planned to be in development for a while as well. First, Paul W.S. Anderson was attached (no doubt would've cast Milla Jovovich as someone), then James Wan was interested, but backed out. He was still interested in producing it, but this time with Sylvain White as the director. Then it was canceled.

woopWOOP

Animated Castlevania? I'm listening...

Two seasons tho? That's quite a bunch of episodes. Wonder if it'll feature more protagonists going through the ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom