• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paying for content already on the disc, the EVIL side of the Xbox Live Marketplace

I couldn't find a topic about this exactly, so I decided to make one. I made this list myself by just looking at the Marketplace, so if there is anything I missed please let me know. If you only take away one thing from this topic, let it be the fact that if the game content you bought from the marketplace was exactly 108.00 KB, you just got suckered into buying a "key" to unlock content that is already sitting on your DVD!

Downloadable Keys that unlock content ON THE DISC that you can ONLY get by PAYING MORE MONEY

AQUAZONE
All download-only fish (3780 points)
All keys are 108.00 KB each

Alaskan Adventures
Alaskan Bonus Pack 1 (100 points)
108.00 KB

A-TrainHX
All download-only trains (2100 points)
All keys are 108.00 KB each

Beautiful Katamari
7 levels locked away on the disc, 200pts each. (1400 points total)
Keys are 364.00 KB each

Cabela's Safari
Safari Bonus Animal (150 points)
108.00 KB

Castle Crashers
King Pack (160 points)
108.00 KB

Chromehounds
Total price of all downloadable parts keys (1800 points)
The keys are 108.00 KB each

College Hoops 2K7
2K ReelMaker for College Hoops 2K7 (400 points)
108.00 KB

DDR Universe
Download Song Mega Pack (800 points)
or you buy each song separately for 1000 points total

Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom
All Accessory Packs Bundle (500 points)
It would cost a total of 600 points to download each one separately.
108.00 KB

LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy
LEGO Star Wars Characters (200 points)
108.00 KB

Rapala Tournament Fishing!
California Delta Bonus Level (150 points)
108.00 KB

Samurai Warriors 2
Total price to be able to buy all horses and hire all people (580 points)

Soul Calibur IV
Customization Equipment 1 (150 points)
Customization Equipment 2 (150 points)
Customization Equipment 3 (150 points)
Darth Vader (400 points)
This download is several 7.79 MB, but hackers determined Darth Vader is on the DVD in his entirety. The download is apparently contains a new song.

The Godfather
Favor Pack - 3 Favor Missions (250 points)
108.00 KB

The Last Remnant
March to War Set (100 points)
108.00 KB

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 07
Special "Sunday Tiger" Unlock (240 points)
108.00 KB

Viva Pinata
All Accessory Packs (1-7) (630 points)

TOTAL COST for content on the disc that is ONLY accessible by PAYING MORE MONEY
14190 MS points ($177.38)

Downloadable keys that COST MONEY to unlock content you could unlock by ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME

Beautiful Katamari
Unlock all cousins and dress-up items. (1720 points total)
Keys are 364.00 KB each

DOAX2
All swimsuits and items for every girl (32400 points)
Keys are 108.00 KB each

Need for Speed: Carbon
Total price for all the available content keys (7320 points)

Soul Calibur IV
Weapon set: ultimate weapons (300 points)
Weapon set: bonus weapons (300 points)

The Godfather
The Don Collection (800 points)
or if you buy each thing separately 1265 points
Keys are 108.00 KB each

Tales of Vesperia
You can buy levels, support items, gold (5920 points)
Keys are 108.00 KB each

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 07
Unlock all courses, golfers, and items (900 points)
Keys are 108.00 KB each

TOTAL COST for content on the disc that you could actually play to get
49660 MS points ($620.75)

FREE Downloadable Keys that unlock content ON THE DISC

Chromehounds
Color Pattern02, Assist parts01, Heavy arms01, Light arms02

Dead Rising
9 different outfits

Ridge Racer 6
36 different cars

Tales of Vesperia
Trial Gel Set, Trial Synthesis Kit, Trial Skill Pack: Yuri, Trial Skill Pack: Estelle
108.00 KB each

The Last Remnant
Key of Ancient Ruins, Challenge Pack 1 & 2
108.00 KB each

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
The keys are 108.00 KB? Okay, I will remember that. What if I want the content and am okay with the price? What do I do?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
CrapSandwich said:
The keys are 108.00 KB? Okay, I will remember that. What if I want the content and am okay with the price? What do I do?

Admit yourself to a mental ward?

Vyer

That list isn't actually quite as bad as I would have expected.

And why didn't you bold the free unlockable content line? You broke the pattern!

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
a Master Ninja said:
Did gamers ask to have their $60 games gimped?

Considering more of the items mentioned(from what I saw) are things that can be unlocked via playing said games. I ask again... isn't rape involuntary? Is someone forcing these people to buy these games?

Anyway this argument has been dragged through various threads, and I see no reason to drag it out to it's inevitable conclusion here again.

sprsk

CrapSandwich said:
Because people who buy DLC must be CRRRAAAAAZZZY. Ba-da-bump.

You are paying for something you already paid for. It's content that's already on the disc, that is why you are crazy. It's not DLC.

Mr Jared

You forgot the biggest offender.

boxart_us_phantasy-star-universe.jpg

This applies to the PS2 and PC versions as well, of course.

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
sp0rsk said:
You are paying for something you already paid for. It's content that's already on the disc, that is why you are crazy. It's not DLC.

Riddle me this: If you paid for it, how come you can't use it? The (obvious) point here is that it doesn't matter when the content was developed, how it's delivered, or where it's stored. It's still the same transaction. Pay x for y. The value is still the same. You've got to consider the (again, obvious) point that the content might not have been created and put on the disc if there weren't going to be future sales to fund its development. Call me crazy, but I don't see the difference. It's almost like you're saying that downloading the content makes it more acceptable? What about downloaded content that's sitting on your HDD because of a mandatory update that isn't usable until you pay? Is that worse than, equal to, or better than something being on the DVD? Is there a difference? I don't get it. Please explain.

GhaleonEB

Hasn't EA's charging for on-disc content been beaten to death already? And it's not like they're forcing you to buy it, that stuff can be bought/unlocked in game anyways. EA being evil as usual, but nothing making you buy this stuff.

sprsk

CrapSandwich said:
Riddle me this: If you paid for it, how come you can't use it? The (obvious) point here is that it doesn't matter when the content was developed, how it's delivered, or where it's stored. It's still the same transaction. Pay x for y. The value is still the same. You've got to consider the (again, obvious) point that the content might not have been created and put on the disc if there weren't going to be future sales to fund its development. Call me crazy, but I don't see the difference. It's almost like you're saying that downloading the content makes it more acceptable? What about downloaded content that's sitting on your HDD because of a mandatory update that isn't usable until you pay? Is that worse than, equal to, or better than something being on the DVD? Is there a difference? I don't get it. Please explain.

What the hell are you talking about? "If you paid for it, how come you can't use it?" Well that is indeed a good question. Why are publishers allowed to get away with selling us content they already sold us? Not putting any sort of language on the box that says "You must purchase additional codes to unlock full game" is flat out misleading the consumer.

When I pay 60 dollars I'm paying for all the content on the disc. If I'm not, it should be written on the box or stated somewhere that I have to pay money to unlock the full version. These companies are just lying to consumers. When (even though I don't) spend money on new content for a game I bought, it better be new content that they made seperate from the disc I paid 60 dollars for. If what we're buying is shareware, then they should state it on the box. That's the problem.

Rushmore

CrapSandwich said:

With downloads, they're (theoretically, but not always) developed after the game went gold and shipped. To be specific, I'm talking about Oblivion's style of content, not EA's. While it's not exactly favorable, it's definitely better than paying for stuff that was created in the same development cycle as it *would* have been accessible via code/unlocking by playing prior to the birth of microtransactions.

Ranger X

This shit really is stupid. I sure hope you don't buy on that crap.
STOP MICROTRANSACTING BITCHES. It's for the sake of gaming. One day it will affect your enjoyment. All of you.

Well, ok. Maybe except some post-PS2 brainwashed kids.

sprocket

Banned
Who ever defends this is an idiot . If this was last gen we would have got th at content free and everyone here knows it .

FightyF

Banned
I'm never gonna stop Microtransacting.

I won't buy content that's already on the disc...but I'll never stop MTing.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm curious what the reactions would be if Kojima's "consumables" games ever came to existence. You know, the one game where Kojima said that the game would self-destruct if you died in the game, forcing you to buy another copy?

Tarazet

Wario64 said:
I'm curious what the reactions would be if Kojima's "consumables" games ever came to existence. You know, the one game where Kojima said that the game would self-destruct if you died in the game, forcing you to buy another copy?

That's called an arcade game.

ToxicAdam

All this shit is like Starbucks Coffee to me. I know that it's a ripoff , I refuse to ever buy it ... but millions of people are buying it. If you want to pay 5 dollars for a coffee and milk, why should I give a hell?

I think it's a load of bull too.

Then again, I think it's a load of bull that VC charges more for Genesis games than PN charges for PSOne games, but nobody else seems to have much of a problem with it.

Xavien

ToxicAdam said:
All this shit is like Starbucks Coffee to me. I know that it's a ripoff , I refuse to ever buy it ... but millions of people are buying it. If you want to pay 5 dollars for a coffee and milk, why should I give a hell?

Because eventually you'll buy a game for $60 and then pay $20 to unlock the end of the game and see the ending. It'll get out of hand.

Personally i hate MT's especially when the content is already on the disc (that was paid for).

They're just getting you warmed up for an era where all the games are free, and you just lease the items in them. Want this sword? That's a $1 for 30 days.

Grifter

108K? Why such bloat? I'd pay double if the key set a 1 bit key of "1." If I'm gonna be raped, I may as well enjoy myself.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Grifter said:
108K? Why such bloat? I'd pay double if the key set a 1 bit key of "1." If I'm gonna be raped, I may as well enjoy myself.

So it looks big enough that you think the content might just fit into that filesize. If it was 1k, people would be far more aware that they're just paying for content that they already bought.

caldazar

Actually, I think that micropayments to download content that you could unlock just by playing the game are far and away the best form of micropayments. Hardcore gamers can unlock everything by themselves without paying anything, and those who don't have the time to invest in the game can experience the entirety of what the game has to offer.

Xavien said:
Because eventually you'll buy a game for $60 and then pay $20 to unlock the end of the game and see the ending. It'll get out of hand.

Personally i hate MT's especially when the content is already on the disc (that was paid for).

for some people next year, they'll probably be spending anywhere from $260-$460 just to get the ending to
Halo 2, oh snap!

Top Bottom