• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen Thread: Affordable Core Act

Durante

So, first of all, I think AMD should call it Threadrypper.
That's the only way to make it fit their new strategy :p

On a more serious note, is it a 2*2*4 multi-die module, or is it a single 4*4 die?
I'd much prefer the latter.

Anyway, really interesting chip and platform, especially if they can get the 16 core version out with a decent price (as in <=1000&#8364;) and decent clocks.

Datschge

On a more serious note, is it a 2*2*4 multi-die module, or is it a single 4*4 die?
So far all chips are based on the one known 2x CCX die, even the Epyc ones. We may see a true 1x CCX die in Ryzen Mobile. I highly doubt AMD will ever create a die bigger than the existing 2x CCX one due to worse yield.

On that topic, I meant to post this days ago:

Bits and Chips &#8212;&#8212; [Rumor] Crazy high yields for Ryzen dies, over 80%

According to our sources, Ryzen yelds are very high at the present moment. About 80% of Ryzen dies have all 8 cores fully functional.

This means that AMD can sell Naples SKUs at a very low average price (4 Die x 8 Core). For this reason Dropbox shows interest in Naples and ThreadRipper:

”Dropbox is currently evaluating AMD EPYC CPUs in-house, and we are impressed with the initial performance we see across workloads in single-socket configurations," said Akhil Gupta, vice president of infrastructure at Dropbox. ”The combination of core performance, memory bandwidth, and I/O support make EPYC a unique offering. We look forward to continuing to evaluate EPYC as an option for our infrastructure."​
Also, Zen uArch seems to be very efficient in Cloud Computing tasks.

amd-ryzen-7-1700x-systwxjh.jpg
Source

As we wrote some months ago on Twitter, a very huge company will buy a lot of Naples SKUs, and the name will be revealed soon. ;)

Paragon

So, first of all, I think AMD should call it Threadrypper.
That's the only way to make it fit their new strategy :p

I'd much prefer the latter.

Anyway, really interesting chip and platform, especially if they can get the 16 core version out with a decent price (as in <=1000€) and decent clocks.
Everything Zen-based right now seems to be built around 4-core CCXes and pairing two on a single die.
The number of memory channels seems to be indicative of the number of CCXes used.

So Threadripper will be two dies connected via infinity fabric, two CCXes per die, and up to four cores per CCX.

The Epyc chips all have four dies with two CCXes each, giving them "8-channel" memory.

I suspect this could mean that the R3 chips (one CCX) may only be single-channel.

Datschge

Assuming that image is accurate and reviews show that much variation...how should a consumer decide which CPU to buy?
It's only once you focus on gaming that the numbers are this murky. The reason for plenty deviations are the many variables that affect gaming benchmarks (system optimizations, game optimizations, graphics API, GPU platform and drivers, memory speed...).

Mr Swine

Banned
After owning my Ryzen computer for a few weeks and now being away from it. I have to say that I'm very impressed how fast the 1600X is. I'm running my DDR4 ram at 2933Mhz from 2133 on my Gigabyte 370X Gaming 3 motherboard.

Everything feels so much faster coming from my 5 year old 3750k. I was afraid that I wouldn't notice any improvements in single threaded games likeStarcraft 2. DDR4 at 2133MHz it was the same I think but with ram at 2933 its a lot better.

Even in accompany 2 where my 3570k would struggle it runs very good on my 1600x

So I have to say I'm very happy that AMD is back and that I choosed the 1600x :)

Gigabyte (1.0.0.5) and Asus (1.0.0.6) still seem to be the only two vendors with publicly available versions of the newest AGESA microcode through their current beta BIOS releases.

GIGABYTE - Matt:

Updated original post with F4C for K7.

AGESA 1006 is also in the works, probably in June.

I heard you guys want more memory multipliers? I'll just leave this right here:

(Coming Soon)

skqftOu.jpg
http://forum.gigabyte.us/post/5792/
http://forum.gigabyte.us/post/5792/thread

It helps that they're not big dies to begin with.
Indeed. They've said all along this approach would allow for scalability, cost savings, and quick time-to-market for a range of core configurations.

Nice that it's beneficial to the company and customers alike.

Bits and Chips:

As we wrote some months ago on Twitter, a very huge company will buy a lot of Naples SKUs, and the name will be revealed soon. ;)
Dropbox?
Seems logical, though based on the tweet history you'd expect it may be a larger company, if not quite Google/Microsoft-like in size.

Dudes, is the MSI Pro-VDH board potentially more stable or durable for 24/7 use?
I've not come across reviews for that board at all.

A cursory search of the Intel variations appears to show mixed reviews for B150M with the B250M version seeming to fair better.

Some clarity on naming:
https://forum.overclock3d.net/showpost.php?p=866751&postcount=5
https://forum.overclock3d.net/showpost.php?p=867452&postcount=10

You may be able to find some user experiences looking at the other Pro VD, VDH, VH and DH as they appear to be closely related. Similarly, being able to determine which other MSI AM4 boards are effective "twins" or "near-relatives" could provide some broader range of info from another product which shares much of the same components.

This regularly updated Hardwareluxx forum thread is one of the most extensive online and may be of some help. Just use a translator if you need clarity on the list itself or would like to go through some of the pages.

Hardwareluxx &#8212;&#8212; [Overview] AM4 Mainboard VRM List [German]

Apart from that have a look for owners on MSI's forums: https://www.msi.com/page/forum

ASRock Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming —— Socket SP3/SP3r2 Ryzen Threadripper HEDT

ASRock X370 Gaming-ITX/ac —— Socket AM4 Ryzen Mainstream

ASRock AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac —— Socket AM4 Ryzen Mainstream

ComputerBase —— Mainboard: ASRock confirms X399 for AMD and Core i9 for Intel [German]

eTeknix —— ASRock X399 and X299 Motherboard Models Confirmed via FTP Listing

Confirmation of X299 and X399 motherboards just leaked out via ASRock‘s FTP listing for a setup file. This setup file is in plain text and used by the driver disc to install files to a system. This also means it can be read quite easily if opened in notepad and can reveal some surprising information. For example, this FTP link via ASRock Europe leads to the ASRock Fatal1ty X399 motherboard which has not been revealed yet.

While the directory listing is not available to the public and only visible to those with valid credentials from ASRock, their European FTP allows for direct access to files if going directly to it. By doing this, users can dig up information on just by guessing the directory and following the pattern of the structure. So by guessing that there will be a Fatal1ty X399 motherboard coming for example, users can type the name of the product and guess the directory then add ‘setup.txt’ which is the filename that the setup CD uses. Following the link for example: ftp://europe.asrock.com/setup/Config/A-A/Fatal1ty X399/Fatal1ty X399-00.01/Setup.txt.

Inside this text file, we can see information like this:

[ASRInfo]
CDLBL=Fatal1ty X399-00.01
Model="X399 Professional Gaming"
CDSetupVer=v3.0.33.1
ProductSeries=Motherboard
Series=Fatal1ty​

That part is boring and not really juicy. Sure we get the name of the product, but if you go deep enough, you can see what features this board has, for example:

[Item_158]
Title=Aquantia 10GbE LAN Driver
Description=Install Aquantia 10GbE LAN Driver
Tab=1
InstallCmd=Drivers\LAN\Aquantia\(v1.40.042)\Aquantia_AQtion_x86_Win_ver1.40.042.0.msi
SilentCmd=Drivers\LAN\Aquantia\(v1.40.042)\Aquantia_AQtion_x86_Win_ver1.40.042.0.msi%%/quiet /norestart
Model="X399 Professional Gaming"
OSVersion=Win7,Win8,Win8.1,Win10
Type=Driver​

Now we have confirmation that this motherboard is going to have 10-Gigabit LAN controllers!
They also confirm two more upcoming Ryzen motherboards from ASRock as well:

• X370 Gaming-ITX/ac
  • AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac

Google Translate:

According to information provided by ComputerBase, the threadripper processors will use the same socket SP3 as Naples alias Epyc from the server segment in the desktop, AMD will not offer an intermediate solution. This means a huge LGA package with 4,096 contact surfaces, the multi-chip module, which AMD has recently shown, will also be used here - with two instead of four chips under the heat spreader .

[Regarding mounting kits and or new air and water coolers for SP3/SP3r2:]

At the same time, however, there is also agreement at once with new radiator brackets & Co. That was and still is a problem with the AM4 socket from the mainstream area at AMD, where deliveries are slow to reach the trade and so the start at SI and PC Manufacturers have significantly delayed or negatively affected.

Related:

The Next Platform —— AMD Disrupts The Two-Socket Server Status Quo

amd-epyq-motherboard7njtb.jpg
1227-15ykb5.jpg
the-16-core-version-oj9k7x.jpg

left (blue): Gigabyte server board for socket SP3 Epyc CPUs
center & right (green): Naples development motherboard with engineering sample CPUs

Noctua socket SP3-compatible prototype air cooler shown several months ago at Computex 2016:

http://noctua.at/en/noctua-at-computex-2016
http://noctua.at/media/wysiwyg/computex/2016/noctua_computex_2016_press_kit.pdf
https://www.techpowerup.com/222984/...ge-socket-heatsink-for-xeon-and-opteron-chips

xeon_opteron.jpg
221bq5ss9.jpg
221aqpsnk.jpg

Next generation Xeon and Opteron cooler [Computex 2016]

• Designed for next generation Intel Xeon, Xeon Phi and AMD Opteron
platforms

• Supports upcoming Intel Socket P (LGA3647) for Skylake-EP and
Xeon Phi (Knights Landing)

• Supports upcoming AMD SP3 socket for future Opteron CPUs

• 3U and4U versions with Noctua NF-A9PWM / NF-F12PWM fans

• Novel offset split-fin design for superior performance​

I have reservations, but if Naples could replace tried and true Dual-Xeon setups with a Single Naples, and sell each Naples at the same price point as a single Xeon, it would be impossible for some datacenters to justify going with Intel. From what I've heard there are quite a few situations in which the number of threads you can handle is far more important than the per-thread performance, if AMD could corner that market it would do wonders for them.

Datschge

·feist·;238004982 said:
Good read. It's mostly a (thorough) recap of what we already know from the AMD Financial Analyst Day.

That is until it starts talking about NUMA about halfway through. There it starts speculating that the NUMA structure AMD uses for Ryzen/Epyc is based on ATI's server chipset work for Opteron (6000), and that two sockets Epyc (connecting 8 dies/16 CCXs/64 cores) represents the upper limit of its NUMA scaling, explaining the lack of solutions above two sockets. That's a plausible explanation. If it's really a hard limit it will be very interesting to see when and how AMD intends to scale beyond that point.

Unrelated to this article but also interesting is the fact that on a two sockets system half of the PCIe lanes are needed to bridge IF between the two Epyc MCMs. This leads me to believe that possibly for all Zen based chips so far internal IF has half the bandwidth of all external i/o.

kotodama

Got to play with a friend's Ryzen system today or rather set it up. 1700x with MSI X370 Carbon. Twas très nice seeing all those threads just idling away. On the Factory BIOS the ram was set at 1866. Updated it, and it went to 2166. I tried to get it to it's supposed speed at 3000 with tight timings, but no go. I'll wait till MSI get's the new AGESA out and try again. Nice build, so jelly.

Threadrypper can't come soon enough.

Got to play with a friend's Ryzen system today or rather set it up. 1700x with MSI X370 Carbon. Twas très nice seeing all those threads just idling away. On the Factory BIOS the ram was set at 1866. Updated it, and it went to 2166. I tried to get it to it's supposed speed at 3000 with tight timings, but no go. I'll wait till MSI get's the new AGESA out and try again.

Threadrypper can't come soon enough.
The best I can get on that board with my 3200MHz Ripjaws is 2666.
It's a 2X16GB Hynix kit. Samsung B die works great on it apparently.

kotodama

The best I can get on that board with my 3200MHz Ripjaws is 2666.
It's a 2X16GB Hynix kit. Samsung B die works great on it apparently.

Yeah Corsair Vengeance on that build. Hoping that the new AGESA translates into good stuff on the X390/X399 stuff. Then again, I'll buy Samsung B dies, if I must.

Would be nice if Asrock does an ITX Threadripper board for the lulz.

Nokterian

Hi all,

So i build my new PC today, i got a Ryzen 1700X 3,4ghz and G.Skill D416GB 3200-14 Flare X K2 GSK.

But i am stuck how can i run it on 3200mhz? It is running standard on 2400mhz? I did the latest bios update to 1201 on my Asus Crosshair VI Hero motherboard.

Can someone help me? What am i doing wrong?

Hi all,

So i build my new PC today, i got a Ryzen 1700X 3,4ghz and G.Skill D416GB 3200-14 Flare X K2 GSK.

But i am stuck how can i run it on 3200mhz? It is running standard on 2400mhz? I did the latest bios update to 1201 on my Asus Crosshair VI Hero motherboard.

Can someone help me? What am i doing wrong?
Have you tried setting the memory speed manually in the UEFI/BIOS?
You have one of the best AM4 motherboards for RAM overclocking, along with one of the most compatible RAM kits.

Enter the UEFI and set the XMP profile. With Asus you'll see XMP listed as "DOCP." As reported by many Flare-X users simply setting "DOCP Standard" should boot without any further changes required. Try this first without touching any of the other settings, including CPU overclocking.

Note, BIOS 1201 (and its older 1107 virtual clone) has slightly different properties than BIOS 1002 as it relates to RAM. Flashing back to 1002 should be considered as a worst case scenario if none of the manual or auto settings tweaks works for you, though it really shouldn't be at all necessary with the kit you have.

If none of the DOCP profiles will boot for you on 1201 without making further changes, then you'll need to begin changing the AUTO settings to defined values.

Here's one user example from April: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/for-ryzen-owners-w-3200-memory.2504884/#post-38867842

"Muscles:
1. Asus Crosshair VI Hero with Ryzen 7 1800x
2. OC to 4 Ghz via the Asus Zenstate 0.2.2 software
3. Gskill FlareX DDR4-3200 CL14 Must use the D.O.C.P. Standard setting in BIOS and recommend setting SOC to 1.15 and both Dram voltage and cold boot dram setting to at least 1.36 if not 1.37v."​

Here are 3 Flare-X reviews on Ryzen:
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/ram/105241-gskill-flare-x-16gb-ddr4-3200-f4-3200c14d-16gfx/
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-7-memory-and-tweaking-analysis-review,1.html
https://proclockers.com/reviews/memory/gskill-flare-x-3200mhz-ddr4-2x8gb-16gb-memory-review

Alternatively, try this:
Ryzen *RAM* Compatibility, Overclocking, Performance Scaling

Again, reverting to BIOS 1002 would be absolute worst case, should everything else fail for some odd reason. A better option, *if you don't have an aversion to using a beta BIOS,* would be to flash to the Crosshair VI Hero's latest beta, which are AGESA 1.0.0.6-based.

Even in their current beta forms BIOS 9943 and 9945 have been the most effective for a broad range of memory kits to run at or near factory spec in terms of speed, timings, voltage, etc.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?93420-Hurray-for-9945-beta-bios-I-am-at-3600-MHz-at-last
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...o-UEFI-build-0079-0081-0082-0083-1107/page47&

BIOS 1002 ran my 2x16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum kit at higher speed than BIOS 1107/1201 did. I changed to Best 9943 and 9945. Being 1.0.0.6-based both run it better than any other BIOS I have used on various AM4 boards.

Nokterian

·feist·;238326042 said:
Have you tried setting the memory speed manually in the UEFI/BIOS?
You have one of the best AM4 motherboards for RAM overclocking, along with one of the most compatible RAM kits.

Enter the UEFI and set the XMP profile. With Asus you'll see XMP listed as "DOCP." As reported by many Flare-X users simply setting "DOCP Standard" should boot without any further changes required. Try this first without touching any of the other settings, including CPU overclocking.

Note, BIOS 1201 (and its older 1107 virtual clone) has slightly different properties than BIOS 1002 as it relates to RAM. Flashing back to 1002 should be considered as a worst case scenario if none of the manual or auto settings tweaks works for you, though it really shouldn't be at all necessary with the kit you have.

If none of the DOCP profiles will boot for you on 1201 without making further changes, then you'll need to begin changing the AUTO settings to defined values.

Here's one user example from April: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/for-ryzen-owners-w-3200-memory.2504884/#post-38867842

"Muscles:
1. Asus Crosshair VI Hero with Ryzen 7 1800x
2. OC to 4 Ghz via the Asus Zenstate 0.2.2 software
3. Gskill FlareX DDR4-3200 CL14 Must use the D.O.C.P. Standard setting in BIOS and recommend setting SOC to 1.15 and both Dram voltage and cold boot dram setting to at least 1.36 if not 1.37v."​

Here are 3 Flare-X reviews on Ryzen:
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/ram/105241-gskill-flare-x-16gb-ddr4-3200-f4-3200c14d-16gfx/
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-7-memory-and-tweaking-analysis-review,1.html
https://proclockers.com/reviews/memory/gskill-flare-x-3200mhz-ddr4-2x8gb-16gb-memory-review

Alternatively, try this:
Ryzen *RAM* Compatibility, Overclocking, Performance Scaling

Again, reverting to BIOS 1002 would be absolute worst case, should everything else fail for some odd reason. A better option, *if you don't have an aversion to using a beta BIOS,* would be to flash to the Crosshair VI Hero's latest beta, which are AGESA 1.0.0.6-based.

Even in their current beta forms BIOS 9943 and 9945 have been the most effective for a broad range of memory kits to run at or near factory spec in terms of speed, timings, voltage, etc.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?93420-Hurray-for-9945-beta-bios-I-am-at-3600-MHz-at-last
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...o-UEFI-build-0079-0081-0082-0083-1107/page47&

BIOS 1002 ran my 2x16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum kit at higher speed than BIOS 1107/1201 did. I changed to Best 9943 and 9945. Being 1.0.0.6-based both run it better than any other BIOS I have used on various AM4 boards.

Thanks for this nice post..but this is way to difficult for me right now first time doing this. I want to see setting on how it is done or video's for that matter.

I tried docp standard and it did not work (even restarting pc took longer than usual). Also Zenstate is not working..going good so far.

I have no idea what i am doing, this is very new to me and very complicated.

Thanks for this nice post..but this is way to difficult for me right now first time doing this. I want to see setting on how it is done or video's for that matter.

I tried docp standard and it did not work (even restarting pc took longer than usual). Also Zenstate is not working..going good so far.
No worries, it can seem overwhelming at first if you don't have much experience tooling around in a BIOS/UEFI.

When I mentioned "if none of the DOCP profiles will boot for you on 1201 without making further changes, then you'll need to begin changing the AUTO settings to defined values," I meant you should disable DOCP/XMP, and manually key in your desired speed under "Memory Frequency."

Note: when it comes to manually setting memory timings always start with the timings specific to your RAM. This can be found on the sticker on the side of the RAM itself, or somewhere on the RAM packaging.

After trial and error and you become more comfortable with changing RAM timing, then later on you may want to try different timing settings.

For now keep it simple.

ThinkComputers [YouTube] &#8212;&#8212; ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero BIOS Overview

Memory clocking tips, starting around 5:58 mark in this video:
Paul's Hardware [YouTube] &#8212;&#8212; How To Overclock Ryzen 5! (The EASY Way)

Crosshair VI Hero RAM clocking @ ~4:38 mark:
SkatterBencher [YouTube] &#8212;&#8212; SB#8: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Overclocked with ROG Crosshair VI Hero and G.SKILL Trident Z

MindBlank Tech [YouTube] &#8212;&#8212; Getting faster RAM working on Ryzen + ASUS Crosshair 6 Hero

Crosshair VI Hero + Flare-X 3200
XBnPC [YouTube] &#8212;&#8212; Ryzen & AM4 Specific Memory!! G.Skill Flare X RAM - Review, Overclocking Guide & Performance!!

As mentioned, I highly recommend taking time to watch at least the 1st video posted at the link below (labeled "Blunty"), as it is memory clocking and stability tips directly from AMD themselves:

·feist·;238326042 said:
Some of the terms or options may seem confusing or foreign for newer users, but you can always ask here for any clarity or questions in general.

Nokterian, I'm confident that if you take the time to try the tips outlined in the post immediately above this one (particularly the AMD video tips), you should at least be able to run your ram at 2666 - 2933 stable on the C6H.

It seems unlikely 2666, 2933 and 3200 would all fail for you on both BIOS 1201 and 1002, with the steps outlined above, unless something else is at play.

I have no idea what i am doing, this is very new to me and very complicated.
Here are two different experiences on 1201 with the Flare X:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread/16860#post_26113777
I overclocked Gskill Flare X 3200 C14 2x8GB to 3607MHz 16-16-16-36 1T with 1201 BIOS.

BCLK: 123MHz / DDR Voltage and Boot Voltage : 1.42V / SOC Voltage: 1.15V

But no hard stress testing done, I only played Battlefield 1 and a single run of Cinebench.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread/16860_30#post_26114040
I guess this is old news, but with bios 1201 on Crosshair VI Hero, the 2x8 GB Flare-X ram doesn't boot normally cold with 3200MHz, so it restarts a few times and boot up with 2400MHz. And then it takes TWO restarts, to get the ram running with 3200MHz. Soc volt at "auto". I can't just set ram speed to 3200, but must instead set it to 2400 do a restart and then to 3200 with another restart, otherwise the bios doesn't recognize any changes.

I don't understand what 'memory training' is, and if there is something I am suppose to do for having my machine boot right into windows cold, I wouldn't know about it.
9943 and 9945 should solve that problem.

If you are still unable to hit 2933 - 3200, I'd recommend aiming for a stable 2400 - 2666, and waiting for the next publicly available BIOS update to exit beta and be uploaded to Asus's C6H site some time in June. If spending time tweaking is too frustrating and/or time-consuming for your liking, it may be best for you to wait (unless you're comfortable running one of the new betas).

Based on people running BIOS 9943 and 9945, here are some user experiences of what you can look forward to:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6cbdsq/crosshair_vi_beta_bios_with_agesa_1006_access_to/
3466mhz @ 14 14 14 34 1t stable and good..no bclk oc needed. gskill flare x 3200mhz

http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread/15990_30#post_26107282
I'm on 9943 using XMP profile at 3200mhz from G.Skill Flare X 3200.

https://www.gtrnexus.com/single-post/2017/05/21/AMD-Ryzen-AGESA-1006-update-brings-higher-RAM-speeds
I myself have been unable to run my 4 DIMMs of Flare X memory at its rated 3200mhz CL14 until updating to the Crosshair VI Hero's version 9945 BIOS. With it I was able to simply load the D.O.C.P. standard profile and finally get 3200 on all four memory sticks.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread/16410_30#post_26109242
Update on my 4x G.Skill Flare X : I eventually failed a memtest at 3466, but passed several hours at 3200. The perf difference seemed negligable so I am not exactly heartbroken, but I am still left wondering if it can be coaxed to running reliably past 3200. I had even booted it up at 3600 as a quick test earlier so I am still hopeful about getting more out of the ram I have.
I am on the same boat as you. 3200 is easy with 4x8gb. I had to move to 15-15-15-15-35-2T to pass multiple hours of Memtest @ 3466. But definitely possible. 3600 is another shoe altogether and will be difficult since we're using 4 sticks instead of 2.

Nokterian

Thanks again for a lot of information, i really need to take time to read and understand it. Hopefully the new bios update that is coming in june will amp up to 3200mhz without any hassle.

For now i am going to play games on the highest of highest since i also got a GTX 1080.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
So glad I did some price/performance comparisons with Ryzen vs i7...

My first quad core or 6 core PC will be with Ryzen. Will also be my first time building one.

I initially planned on going i3 6100, switched to i5 6600K. Then was dead set on i7 6700K.

All thats changed now, lol.

Now its either Ryzen 5 1500 or 6 1600.

My first quad core or 6 core PC will be with Ryzen. Will also be my first time building one.

I initially planned on going i3 6100, switched to i5 6600K. Then was dead set on i7 6700K.

Pretty much all the benchmarks I've seen say that for games, 4 core Ryzen chips start lagging noticeably behind their 6 core counterparts (conversely, the 6 cores keep up with the 8 core chips in games). I'm planning on picking up the 1600 myself for my forthcoming PC build that I keep telling myself that I'll get round to for several months now.

Read top response here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=237461562&postcount=2885

Several Ryzen 5 reviews here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=233774369&postcount=2444
and here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=233904549&postcount=2530

One such recently reviewed R5 performance synopsis here nearly mirrors my own comments from above: Hexus &#8212;&#8212; Review: AMD Ryzen 5 1400 and Ryzen 5 1600 (14nm)

Hexus.net Review Conclusion:

Ryzen 5 1600 offers the cheapest route to six-core, 12-thread processing. It naturally excels in multi-threaded benchmarks where, typically, it is between 50-75 per cent faster than a price-comparable Core i5 processor. A competitive TDP and reasonable gaming performance means that, in our opinion, it's the best all-round processor at around the £200 mark.

The Ryzen 5 1400, meanwhile, is AMD's method of bringing the Zen architecture at the most aggressive price point. Still a solid performer in multi-threaded applications, the combination of restrained frequencies, half the cache and a conservative XFR rating combine to make it most attractive to those who are building to a much tighter budget, probably with a B350 chipset-based motherboard in tow.

We believe the extra £50 for the Ryzen 5 1600 is worth the investment, so whilst the Ryzen 5 1400 is capable due to being cut from the same Ryzen cloth, we'd steer enthusiasts towards the former.

ATTN Datschge:

R7 1800x -vs- i7 6900k
https://twitter.com/AMD/status/868663161418899456
http://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-1800x

R7 1700x -vs- i7 7700k
Animated: https://video.twimg.com/tweet_video/C-xQ0eOXkAAUr-d.mp4
https://twitter.com/AMD/status/859150592576565249
https://twitter.com/AMD/status/860520733029564417/
https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-1700x

R7 1700 -vs- i7 7700k
https://twitter.com/AMDRyzen/status/868542476855980036
http://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-1700

What is content creation? Ryzen loses in photoshop and in 3d applications when you are actually making the content. Rendering the content, it is a good performer though.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Thanks for the responses. 1600 it is.

I think this is the first time in years AMD is going toe to toe with Intel with performance at a decent price.

Gigabyte May AGESA 1005 Update - Improved RAM Clocks & Compatibility
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=236840913&postcount=2818

Gigabyte May AGESA 1006 Update - Improved RAM Clocks & Compatibility

http://forum.gigabyte.us/post/6039

GIGABYTE - Matt:

New BIOS w/ AGESA 1006 are now live on the OP.

http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/886/am4-beta-bios-thread

GIGABYTE - Matt:

Please note: Only BIOS listed on gigabyte's main support page are official tested BIOS. The one's provided below are for testing purposes and are not meant for general release. They may include unintentional bugs or quarks. Please share your experience with other members so we can help tweak and improve each new version.

Latest BETA BIOS (AGESA 1006)
Updated 5/29/17​

AX370-Gaming K7: F4D
AX370-Gaming 5: F6F
AB350-Gaming 3: F7A

Changes:

• AGESA 1006
  • EZ Overclock Tuner

What the difference between "T" and "F" BIOS? Which should I use?

• "T" BIOS are test versions. They include tweaks our R&D team are experimenting with. They are likely less stable and may contain features/settings that never make it to a final version. Only use if you are comfortable adjusting advanced BIOS settings.
  • "F" BIOS are beta versions. They include the latest fixes & AGESA code. They should be more stable than "T" versions. Use this if you want to test the latest AGESA code.

TL;DR: "T" are alpha releases. "F" are beta.

Like with Asus, user comments of speed and compatibility are overwhelmingly positive.

1st hand experience: AGESA 1.0.0.5 on my AX370 Gaming 5 ran my dual rank 2x16GB Samsung dies at full speed, but required manual tweaks to DRAM volts, SOC volts and ProcODT.

The new Gigabyte 1.0.0.6 beta above instantly booted into Windows at full-speed auto settings by simply enabling the XMP profile, similar to what my Crosshair 6 Hero did on the latest Asus 1.0.0.6 beta (also running dual rank 2x16GB, but Hynix dies in that case).

1.0.0.6 will solve a lot of the remaining RAM problems, then shifting much of the bottleneck over to the strength of each individual CPU's IMC.
Still, I'd like to see whether the upcoming 1.0.0.7 AGESA will be released before Threadripper is launched.

What is content creation? Ryzen loses in photoshop and in 3d applications when you are actually making the content. Rendering the content, it is a good performer though.
Not everything is legacy, effectively single-threaded or only optimised for Intel arch.

Among others, you have music production, webmaster tools, writing/editing/authoring software, analytics and scientific applications used for physical and web-based content.

Thanks for the responses. 1600 it is.

I think this is the first time in years AMD is going toe to toe with Intel with performance at a decent price.
Yeah, the performance landscape has changed quite a bit, to the point Nvidia employees are posting Ryzen builds on Nvidia's GeForce website:

NVIDIA GeForce &#8212;&#8212; GeForce Garage: An Ultimate RGB Elite Performance Build Powered by GTX 1080 Ti

NVIDIA GeForce [YouTube] &#8212;&#8212; How To Build The Ultimate High End RGB Gaming PC Using A GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Today's custom Pascal-Powered rig marries our award-winning GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Founder Edition GPU with a CPU from AMD and lightning fast PCIe SSD from Intel. Teams Red, Green and Blue unite for the Ultimate High End RGB Gaming PC. Come check out our very first build featuring one of AMD's new Ryzen 7 family of processors.

...And Nvidia themselves are now offering AMD CPUs for the first time ever in their Battlebox-certified gaming systems:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/battlebox/

PCGamesN &#8212;&#8212; Nvidia are now recommending AMD's Ryzen chips for their Battlebox branded PCs

Guru3D &#8212;&#8212; Nvidia BattleBox To be Offered With Both Intel and Ryzen Processors

PCWorld &#8212;&#8212; Nvidia's new generation of powerful GeForce GTX Battlebox PCs finally embraces AMD: Nvidia's new GeForce GTX Battlebox PCs guarantee your gaming experience, and for the first time, include AMD processors.

Previous Battlebox configurations relied solely on Intel processors, as AMD's older Bulldozer-based CPUs were decent for budget gaming but lagged far behind top-end Core chips for premium experiences. Ryzen changes that, so for the first time, you'll be able to buy Nvidia Battlebox PCs with AMD inside.

Dudes, is the MSI Pro-VDH board potentially more stable or durable for 24/7 use?

Yo man, I am a Pro-VDH owner. I normally operates the PC during my weekend for 2 days (working on stuff, leave to rest/sleep but no gaming) and it seems the mobo is stable enough.

I am running Ubuntu Desktop (17.04 as it has 4.10 kernel, required for Ryzen CPU) on an Samsung 750 evo drive.

ASRock - and others - sure are taking their sweet time releasing their mini-ITX AM4 mobos. Reportedly they're due sometime in June, which probably means July/August before they're readily available.

No way I'm building my first Ryzen SFF HTPC using a Biostar board (ewww)...so I wait. Am looking forward to throwing one of these little guys together in a Silverstone case, resting inconspicuously in the entertainment center.

Kinda baffling most of the board partners are taking so long w/ the ITX designs....

magenta

I'm itching for a mini ITX build with ryzen. Whoever gets their board out for sale first gets my money. Biostar has no distributer in my country so it is not an option :S

Had asus already released those new bios drivers that improve memory?
They have, in the current beta BIOS. I linked the download to it above, but wasn't sure if you wanted to run beta. Some users are only comfortable using them once they come out of beta and get posted to the motherboard support page in seemingly finished form.

First time PC builder here, how come the 1600 has better benchmarks than 1600x, even though the 1600x has a higher clock speed?
The 1600x is faster, and a higher percentage of them have hit ~3.9-4.1GHz than the standard R5 1600. Enough 1600s are hitting the same exact top OCs as the 1600x, though. Making them more desirable to buyers.

If you're referring to graphs like the ones I posted here, that's referring to price:performance ratio and price:wattage. The 1600 costs less, so it will have higher value/price:performance, apart from scenarios where the extra clockspeed does factor in enough to offset the price difference.

I'm itching for a mini ITX build with ryzen. Whoever gets their board out for sale first gets my money. Biostar has no distributer in my country so it is not an option :S
I'm surprised Asus have yet to hint at a ROG Impact mini-ITX. If nothing else I expect a Strix Gaming version to launch at some point.

ASRock - and others - sure are taking their sweet time releasing their mini-ITX AM4 mobos. Reportedly they're due sometime in June, which probably means July/August before they're readily available.

No way I'm building my first Ryzen SFF HTPC using a Biostar board (ewww)...so I wait. Am looking forward to throwing one of these little guys together in a Silverstone case, resting inconspicuously in the entertainment center.

Kinda baffling most of the board partners are taking so long w/ the ITX designs....
·feist·;237516714 said:
***Recommended reading***:

AMD's Robert Hallock and James Prior did a 3-page Q&A with a Forbes Contributor.

Forbes &#8212;&#8212; An Interview With AMD: The Latest On Ryzen Memory Support, Game Performance And Ryzen 3's Launch

• Games and application optimization
  • Memory support
  • Game and software optimizations
  • The X-edition CPU temperature offset
  • Mini-ITX AM4 motherboard availability and chipsets
FORBES: Regarding future releases, is there anything you can tell us about the availability of mini-ITX AM4 motherboards? We've seen Biostar use the X370 chipset with its mini-ITX motherboard, which is interesting as a lot of enthusiasts assumed high-end mini-ITX boards would use the X300 chipset which was made with mini-ITX in mind. However, we haven't seen any images of boards from other manufacturers yet.

James: So we recently saw Biostar introduce two models that use the B350 and X370 chipsets on mini-ITX. These sold out instantly in North America and we're going to see them ramp their production worldwide. Biostar hasn't been a popular name in recent years but they've beaten everyone else to the market so all credit to them. The rest of the manufacturers will likely have their samples ready in the next month or two. They're all very close. Typically there's usually a lag in the release of mini-ITX motherboards behind the rest of the field. Manufacturers focus on the majority field, which is always ATX.

It's also interesting to see them use the X370 chipset &#8211; as you said, we built the X30 chipset just for small form factor designs so the thinking there was that they didn't want to bring mini-ITX and the new X300 chipset to market at the same time. The X370 chipset is a known quantity for AM4 motherboards. As we push forward with more small form factor designs, we'll see more chipsets being used that can really address the different areas of the market. You'll get the guys that focus on lower price boards, but right now they're dealing with the enthusiast builders that set the scene.

Robert: Regarding the chipsets, I think there was also something lost in translation with the X300 chipset in particular. Being a socket-on-chip, Ryzen has all the things such as PCI-E, USB and SATA built-in, which is not dissimilar to any other CPU on the market today. You only need one chipset on the board to provide these features and this can be X300, B350, X370, we don't care. All of these chipsets are available to use in any form factor &#8211; but we did create X300 specifically for cases where the vendor will want to add a companion chip to the PCB of the mini-ITX board and doesn't have enough space on the board to do that. Here, X300 might be a good solution to that to free up board real-estate to add one of these cards such as Wireless LAN or 10GB Ethernet controller or some other feature that our chipsets don't provide by default. So with regards to the X300 chipset, it's just one option for mini-ITX, it's not the only option &#8211; we're happy for them to use any chipset so we weren't necessarily surprised to see someone using X370 on mini-ITX. Manufacturers have had experience with Intel's Z270 chipset so they know how to use a traditionally-sized chipset on a mini-ITX motherboard.

Claimed Ryzen 3 prices, and R9 Threadripper listed.

Ryzens 3s listed on a Thai retailer site: https://gameolo.com/product-category/คอมประกอบ/cpu/cpu-amd/page/2#quick-view

Prices of the remaining Ryzen 5s and 7s are roughly equivalent to $USD - ~9% tax/vat included. As always, direct conversions into other currencies are not exact, only for reference.

AMD Ryzen 3 1200X ~$150/~£127 + VAT
(5,590&#3647; THB = 163.900$ USD - ~9%)
https://gameolo.com/shop/คอมประกอบ/cpu/cpu-amd/amd-ryzen-3-1200x
Core: 4/4
Frequency: 3.40 GHz
Turbo: 3.80 GHz
L3 Cache: 8MB

AMD Ryzen 3 1100 ~$128.46/~£110 + VAT
(4,890&#3647; THB =143.36$ 1USD - ~9%)
https://gameolo.com/shop/คอมประกอบ/cpu/cpu-amd/amd-ryzen-3-1100
Core: 4/4
Frequency: 3.20 GHz
Turbo: 3.50 GHz
L3 Cache: 8MB

If roughly accurate, prices are comparable to the locked Kaby Lake i3 7100, i3 7300 and i3 7320. The unlocked i3 7350k is priced on par with the 4c/8t Ryzen 5s.

ryzen315s57.png

Guru3D &#8212;&#8212; AMD 16-core Threadripper Processors Listed Online

https://www.skroutz.gr/c/32/cpu-epeksergastes.html?keyphrase=threadripper
https://www.skroutz.gr/s/11938845/AMD-Ryzen-Threadripper-1998.html
https://www.skroutz.gr/s/11938847/AMD-Ryzen-Threadripper-1998X.html

It is always a bit of a question, is it click-bait from an etailer, or is it the real thing. Over at Greek online retailer Skroutz two 16-core Threadripper Processors surfaced online in their store, the AMD Threadripper 1998 and 1998X.

Interesting as Threadripper processors are due for release in the summer. The listing is curious as it doesn't even come with pricetags. However the listing does show some specifications. Both models are th 16-core 32-threaded parts, and they have specced them at a 3.20 GHz base (unknown Boost) for the 1998 model and 3.5 GHz for the 1998X model.

Both procs are tagged under socket SP3r2, AMD's 4,094-pin LGA socket. AMD's high-end desktop (HEDT) platform, code named Whitehaven, will include support for quad-channel DDR4 memory and up to 44 PCIe lanes. It will compete directly with Intel's upcoming HEDT X299 platform and Skylake X CPUs which will feature up to 12 cores.

Previous have indicated that the flagship 1998X would feature clock speeds of 3.5GHz base and 3.9GHz boost with AMD XFR (Extended Frequency Range) feature. The CPU get a very reasonable 155W TDP, 5 watts less than Intel's 12-core Skylake X CPU.

To be released soon?

Can anyone here on GAF give me an idea of how fast the rendering capabilities of say the 1700x or the 1800x are?

Edit:

Specifically in Sony Vegas

Asus Crosshair VI Extreme - X370 AM4 Extended ATX form factor

https://forum.overclock3d.net/showpost.php?p=948136&postcount=1803
https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cp..._extreme_has_been_pictured_at_computex_2017/1

Without factory waterblock (optional?):

With full CPU + VRM waterblock (on left) -vs- Intel-based Z270 Maximus IX Extreme (on right):
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/5139463149
ASUS' Crosshair VI Extreme has been pictured at Computex 2017

Computex 2017 is now underway and with it comes a wide range of new products, many of which come as a complete surprise to use. Today, thanks to Dicehunter on the OC3D Forums, we have an image of what looks like ASUS' unreleased Crosshair VI Extreme motherboard.

Up until now, this motherboard has only been a thing of rumour, with many expecting this motherboard to come as part of AMD's Threadripper platform. As far as we can tell from this image, the Crosshair VI Extreme is an AM4 motherboard, shown here working with four DDR4 DIMMs in a water cooling loop with what looks like a GTX 1080 Ti Strix.

When comparing this motherboard to ASUS' existing AM4 X370 Crosshair VI Hero we can see that the Extreme comes with an EATX form factor, a right angled 24-pin power connector and a larger than usual chipset heatsink. We can also see that the component placement on this board is very different than the Hero, coming with a post reader at the top of the motherboard and different locations for fan headers, RGB headers and other components.

At this time it is unknown when ASUS will be announcing more information on this motherboard, which is expected to supplant the Crosshair VI Hero to become ASUS' new X370 AM4 flagship mainboard.

0080ljv8.jpg

Seems socket SP3/SP3r2 may be branded "Socket TR4" (SP3 SAM) for its HEDT iteration.

ASRock Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming & ASRock X399 Taichi

https://gigglehd.com/gg/hard/1158606

• Supports AMD Ryzen Threadripper Processor Family (Up to 16 Cores and 32 Threads)
  • for the TR4 Socket
  • Supports Quad-Channel DDR4 Memory
  • 4 PCIe 3.0x16, Supports Nvidia 4-Way SLI, AMD 4-Way CrossFireX
  • 3 Ultra M.2 (PCIe Gen3 x4 & SATA3)

Gigabyte X399 Aorus Gaming 7

My Navi —— COMPUTEX TAIPEI 2017 - GIGABYTE, show off the unreleased "AMD X 399" motherboard [Japanese]

The X399 Aorus Gaming 7 lists memory support for "Quad Channel ECC/Non-ECC Unbuffered DDR4, 8 DIMMs"

Google Translate:

AMD X399 "chipset is a new platform that seems to correspond to the high-end CPU" RYZEN Threadripper "of up to 16 cores / 32 threads that AMD plans to introduce in the summer of 2017.

GIGABYTE is rumored to adopt a socket called "TR4", while not saying details. The CPU supports 64 lanes of PCI Express Gen.3 and supports 4-way CrossFire.

On this motherboard this time, there is silk printing "X399 AORUS Gaming 7" near the PCI Express x16 slot, and the cover of the socket has the stamp "SP3 SAM" on the cover of the socket.

There are eight memory threads that are metal-reinforced "Metal Shield" specifications and five PCI Express x16 slots, also "Metal Shield" specifications. There are three M.2 slots, and no metal shields are found here.

As the interface, there are 8 USB Type-A ports on the back panel and 1 USB Type-C port. USB 3.1 is also visible on the front side. Besides this, the motherboard also features Sound Blaster X 720, ALC 1220 equipped headphone amp, Killer E 2500 LAN loading etc.

- CPU power supply is 8 pin + 4 pin

- Five PCI-Express x16 slots installed, M.2 also equipped with 3 sockets

- Supports 3 ports of USB 3.1 Gen.3 including Type-C

Can anyone here on GAF give me an idea of how fast the rendering capabilities of say the 1700x or the 1800x are?

Edit:

Specifically in Sony Vegas
https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/some-amd-ryzen-1700-numbers--105904/
https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/amd-ryzen-1800x-vegas-pro-test--106090/

(Old CPU: i7 2600K)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBr2tVGHNjU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSuIJECsePA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXgVflar4qE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbPXl3xQV1g

For a more thorough look at Vegas and similar application performance, have a look through these reviews when you have some time:

·feist·;233736067 said:
·feist·;231164071 said:

Top Bottom