• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch wakes up video signal while charging on dock - Needs fix [UP: Fixed!]

morpix

Just creating a thread to raise awareness for this HDMI input issue.

It's ludicrous that they didn't test this docked Switch with actual TVs. It takes an indeterminate amount of time for a docked, charging Nintendo Switch to take input away on my Samsung KS7000. I've been in the middle of fights in SF5 on my PS4 Pro and it "switches". I've been watching TV and it switches.

Also, don't that tell me I need to charge it separately. This is a serious flaw. I play mostly on a TV with my Switch Pro Controller. They NEED to fix this on the next update or I'm selling this thing after finishing Zelda (in portable mode).

</rant>

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

It's ludicrous that they didn't test this docked Switch with actual TVs. It takes an indeterminate amount of time for a docked, charging Nintendo Switch to take input away on my Samsung KS7000. I've been in the middle of fights in SF5 on my PS4 Pro and it "switches". I've been watching TV and it switches.

Also, don't that tell me I need to charge it separately. This is a serious flaw. I play mostly on a TV with my Switch Pro Controller. They NEED to fix this on the next update or I'm selling this thing after finishing Zelda (in portable mode).

</rant>

Isn't this a TV issue? Even if it takes long for it to detect the Switch being docked, why would your TV automatically change inputs? Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

AlanOC91

No issues myself? Using a Samsung 6500 4k TV. No issues with Switch docked with my Wii U, Android Media Box, PC or PS4.

Possibly tv issue? Latest firmware?

Cranzor

I'm pretty sure you can turn this off in the Switch settings.

EDIT: So you disabled the setting and it still does it? No idea then. Someone below recommended turning it off completely and that seems like a good idea for now. Hopefully this gets fixed.

weekev

Banned
There's a setting on the Switch to change the power of the Switch to mirror the TV, it's meant to turn the TV on when you turn the Switch on. Turn it off and you are golden.

shwimpy

i found out that it only happens in sleep mode. just turn off the switch completely and problem solved.

BigK_201

I'm having an issue as well, but with the Switch being plugged into my Pioneer Audio receiver:

When playing docked, the picture will cut out on the TV for 2 to 3 seconds but the audio will continue to play. I've never had an issue with any other device hooked up to my receiver via HDMI. I've tried different cables, turing off input auto switching and all that, but it still happens. Sometimes it won't happen for 10 minites, while other times it will happen every ten seconds. It works fine when plugged straight into a TV or monitor (which is what I'm doing now) but now I can have surround sound audio. It's been super annoying and frustrating.

I'm going to call Nintendo customer support about it tomorrow but I have little to no faith that they will know how to fix the issue.

Isn't it a TV feature to automatically switch to an input when detected? I have an LG and when it detects one it shows a prompt that allows you to choose to switch to that input, but it doesn't do it automatically

morpix

Isn't it a TV feature to automatically switch to an input when detected? I have an LG and when it detects one it shows a prompt that allows you to choose to switch to that input, but it doesn't do it automatically

Samsungs don't have that option. It's just "New Device!!! I'm switching!"

BigK_201

Good luck sir. The more they know about it, the better chance we get a fix.

Thanks! I hope when I call that they've had reports of other people like us so that they hurry and figure something out to fix this. Bummer that you've had issues but I'm glad I'm not alone &#128517;

I've tried the Switch on two TVs (Sony and Philips) and had all those settings turned on. Both TVs change input when I wake the Switch from sleep but don't do anything weird when it's just idling in the dock.

Really sounds like your TV is reacting to something it's not supposed to.

ramparter

Banned
Samsungs don't have that option. It's just "New Device!!! I'm switching!"
Damn. My LG will just pop a small window for quick change but only waits for a few seconds to press OK and then it goes away. But I suppose even that could be distracting in some cases.

Memory

Yes, modern TVs switch to the most recent HDMI outlet. You can change this in your TV settings.

What seems to be happening to op is that for some reason his Switch is activating the HDMI even when dormant. Only 3 things could do this even though they shouldn't, WiFi connection changing/dropping, game/system updates or friend notifications.

Varg

Banned

</rant>

Ks8000 . Same issue as OP. Randomly switches to the switch's input when I'm playing on my pc or whatever . Really annoying to the point and just leave it out the dock while I'm in something else

weekev

Banned
Anyone having this issue, there is a setting near the bottom of the Switch settings for mirroring the power on the TV. Please make sure it's turned off. I was having the same issue, I turned it off, now it's all good.

abrack08

Yeah mine does that too. Really annoying.

You can't power the Switch completely off when it's in docked mode. Just Standby.

Just tried, powered off before docking. It boots to sleep as soon as it's docked.

Dock the Switch then hold the power button, that's the only way to do it afaik

Anyone having this issue, there is a setting near the bottom of the Switch settings for mirroring the power on the TV. Please make sure it's turned off. I was having the same issue, I turned it off, now it's all good.
Either you got lucky or were having a different problem. The issue isn't with the Switch turning on or off at unwanted times so that option won't do anything. In rest mode, the input changes over to the Switch input, the console stays off. It must be sending some sort of signal that the TV interprets as the device being on when it's not. There's no option to turn the auto-HDMI switch off, at least on the KS8000

Oregano

I saw people discussing this in another thread and it seems to be an issue with newer Samsung sets specifically.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I don't have a Samsung TV. I'm using a BenQ monitor and I was having the same issues. I'll quote myself from another thread with (what for the moment seems to be) a solution:

I think I've solved my issue.

If you turn off your Switch while in handheld mode and then dock it, it turns itself on and goes into sleep mode. I think this is what's causing interference with other HDMI sources if you're using a splitter or have a monitor/TV that with an HDMI auto-switch feature.

BUT, if you dock your Switch and turn it off while docked (using the TV), it won't turn itself on again and won't go to sleep mode. I played about an hour of Horizon on my PS4 Pro with my Switch still docked and got zero issues unlike yesterday.

It's going to get a bit cumbersome if I decide to play Zelda in handheld mode. Hopefully having the Pro controller will mean that I won't have to unplug the joycon every time I want to turn it off from the TV.

Osla

Neo Member
I don't have a Samsung TV. I'm using a BenQ monitor and I was having the same issues. I'll quote myself from another thread with (what for the moment seems to be) a solution:

Thanks I'll try that tonight. I have a splitter that automatically switches HDMI channels, I think that's causing it.

jiggles

Banned
Is your Switch HDMI going straight into the TV or is it going into the Connect + box or whatever it's called? Wondering if it makes a difference

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
There was a similar thread about this, it sounds more like this is a problem with the new tvs samsung put out and the switch it only serves is to make the problem more noticeable to more people

I haven't played enough in docked mode to be 100% sure, but the behavior I've observed on my Panasonic set is the following:
1. if I'm on the TV tuner and turn on a compliant HDMI device, my TV will switch to its AV channel.
2. if I'm already on an AV channel and turn on a compliant HDMI device, my TV won't switch to another AV channel. Typically, if I'm on the STB on AV2 and turn on my PS4, it won't switch to AV1.

On the one hand, it's a TV issue that you can't turn off this behavior somewhere in the options (googling it, I see people complaining about this exact issue on Samsung support forums).
On the other hand, if other devices like PS4 play nice in your setup and don't take precedence over already active HDMI sources, I'd say that's a Switch issue too.

Mind you, my PS3 and PS4 are the only devices that work like this. My PC and Xbox one don't push anything. I always assumed auto-HDMI switching and game mode detection were part of HDMI CEC, but I'm not so sure anymore.

Lucifon

My LG B6 pops up saying 'Switch is now available' every so often when the thing is obviously waking from sleep to check for updates etc. But it doesn't switch to it.

hlhbk

</rant>

Already a thread about this.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1349891

This problem hasn't effected my setup, but I do wish it would use HDMI CEC to change inputs on my audio receiver like PS4 when I wake the system up from Sleep Mode. Hopefully this stuff will be improved with firmware updates.

balohna

Obviously different TVs etc. etc., But my Switch in sleep mode doesn't seem to send a signal to the TV at all. Conveniently, if I dock the Switch while it's on my TV actually turns on. I have a Samsung smart TV from a few years ago, not sure the model. I think I got it in 2013, probably came out in 2012.

Xadjim

Banned
huh, is this another "thanks obama".... I mean "thanks switch" thread?

I have the strange feeling, that people do these on purpose.

I have a switch myself and dont have a bigger input lag than on other devices.

Also to the one who made the thread with the scratched screen because the dock:

The dock has a gummed part inside the dock, where it actually touches the switch and nothing should happen if you dont put it in or drag it out like a beast

jiggles

Banned

Maybe read more than the thread title next time?

Joey Ravn

Banned

Also to the one who made the thread with the scratched screen because the dock:

The dock has a gummed part inside the dock, where it actually touches the switch and nothing should happen if you dont put it in or drag it out like a beast

This has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand, but we all appreciate your completely honest concern.

To be fair, I had to re-read the OP multiple times to suss out what the hell he was talking about.

To be fair, the OP is pretty clear in describing the topic: the Switch overrides whatever device is connected through HDMI and gets focus for itself, no matter what options are turned on. It's not that hard to grasp... if you bother to read the OP and not just assume people are whining for the sake of it.

Ban Puncher

Is your name perhaps Low Tier God?

xBDJoLF.png

Top Bottom