• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild NeoGAF's traveller's tales

KooopaKid

Banned
I thought it would be fun to share our Breath of the Wild experiences in the form of traveller's tales. Breath of the Wild overworld and layered systems really allow and capture the feeling of adventure and journey so well that I think it's going to be fun and interesting to hear your stories.
Here's my litte story, I posted yesterday in the OT:

KooopaKid said:
As I wanted to explore the northern volcano and presumably the Goron city lying there, the extreme heat prevented me to reach my destination. I clearly wasn't equiped for it. I had to go back down but was met with very harsh weather, rain for several days and storms. I was on the side of a mountain, freezing, with no food to warm me up, enable to climb up the slippery walls or to make a camp fire. My only option was to paraglide down to the nearest plain but it was quite far and I risked to fall in the large river below. I managed to reach the plain by a hair only to find some lights behind trees in the distance in the stormy night. Getting closer and I was relieved to know it was a stable. For the first time, I allowed myself to take the most comfy bed so I could rest and wait the following morning for the storm to calm.

Please only post your own Breath of the Wild stories or comments on other GAFers tales. Let's pretend we are all gathered around a camp fire. Have fun!

Fun thread idea. I had great experience when I left the plateau for the first time.

I climbed Mt Hylia to decide where I wanted to go and saw a beautiful desert canyon to the south and decided I wanted to explore it. Seeing a tower at the top of the canyon, I paraglide south and crossed paths with desert wolves and groups of bokoblins on a wooden path built into the sides of the canyon. Climbing to the top of the next cliff and meet a wizzrobe and defeat him earning his magic rod. As I continue up the canyon I find an African style watering hole filled with wildlife but also lizalfos. But the tower was still higher and as I climbed the next cliff I was greeted by 3 angry moblins, I stood no chance so I ran up the path towards the tower. As I finally reached it, the tower was in the middle of mud/tar pit had to figure out an environment puzzle to reach it. As I climb the tower a beautiful sunset compliments the gorgeous desert landscape.

That was a great adventure and one that has stuck with me my whole playthrough:)

ekim

I destroyed all my (good) weapons to fell trees and collect a lot of wood until I noticed afterwards that I can also use bombs. I was so mad I raided several enemy camps with almost bombs exclusively which netted me an even better weapon collection than before. *everythingwentbetterthanexpected*

jchap

The first time I was exploring the zone north of Hyrule Castle I came across a circular island in the middle of the Hylia river. The island has one single creepy looking dead tree in the center. I went to the island killed a ring of monsters on it and couldn't find anything else to do. I then decided to glide across the river to the foggy forest. When landing on the opposite bank the screen faded to white and I was returned to the island. I thought it was the curse of the island so I started a fire on it and waited til different times of day. The nighttime group of enemies was especially strong but I killed them all. Still I was always teleported back to the island. I warped out.

I've since found out that the teleportation was not related to the island but still it was a cool and creepy thought at the moment.

varkuriru

On my way to a village I talked to a fellow traveler that complemented me on my skill with a sword and bow and said if I wanted to join his group....

oh my gaad he was one of the evil sheik ninjas and the fight was awesome. Now I dont trust travellers

sirap

I ran out of cold resisting food and was about to give up my battle with a giant enemy when my weapon broke and it automatically switched to a fire-elemental spear. Turns out fire/ice weapons warm and cool your body. Thought that was pretty neat.

I explored the mine area of goron mountain without the fire resistant suit. I went through every healing item doing the main quest.

R00bot

I was completely outnumbered by a group of bokoblins and the big ones idk their names. There was a thunderstorm and I had a fairy so I jumped in the middle of them and waited to be struck. The lightning killed all of the enemies, killing me in the process. My fairy activated and I was revived to collect the spoils.

I chopped down a tree and froze it in time, then wacked it with my club, stood on it, now I am Tao Pai Pai, help me, I can't get off of this log, I'm stranded in the air, please help, this is not what wood is supposed to do AAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh....

I'm not sure if this is exactly how it happened, but this is what I saw. I found a tropical island where all of your equipment gets removed and you're left to figure out three problems around the island with only what you can scavenge. I figured out that rocks make good weapons so I started lifting them up and throwing them at enemies. Pretty far into the island I found myself fighting some minor enemies. I lifted a boulder above my head at the instant an enemy prodded me with a spear. Link dropped the rock on his own head, killing him and ragdolling his body into a hilariously folded up heap with a large rock balanced on top.

pantsmith

My first horse, ornery dick that he was, slid down into a river after several hours together and that was that. I couldnt get him back up without a saddle, no matter how many apples I placed, so we parted ways.

My second horse, Trucker, was terrible but I saddled him immediately having learned my lesson with horse #1. I had tried for other horses but Trucker was the shitty one who didnt put up a fight. I hate him.

My third and current horse, Babe, was rescued on top of a mountain from horseback raiders. She is a cool shade of blue/gray and based on how little struggle she put up she seemed grateful to be rescued. We spent probably four or five hours together traveling the coast, then eventually up through the Highlands.

I promised myself I'd be okay if I lost her somehow, since it felt right letting her be free again, but we found the Highlands stables after a long journey and a lot of close calls. Now shes my favorite.

Nbz

Posted this in the OT, but here is my tale of an encounter with a shooting star!

So last night I was playing in bed and saw a shooting star crash land behind a ridge in front of me. I was on my way to a shrine, but thought fuck it I'm going after this thing, cos I have no idea how rare it is. I have to pass a river, which is really wide and flowing downstream, so I'm fighting to get across. I only had 2 stamina boosting items and just as the last inch of stamina I have runs out I make it to the other side....only to be greeted by THREE Moblin stalfos AND a
Yiga swordsman
, needless to say I run for my life, but get killed by a rogue arrow...thankfully however I had a fairy so I kept running until I'd left them behind. Then commence a series of rock climbing, gliding past encampments and running for my life from enemies before morning almost hits and the light from the shooting star fades. I finally reach the spot as the sun crests over the horizon and claim my prize. I have no idea how rare this thing is, or even what to do with it, but DAMN, this game makes you feel so damn accomplished when you achieve something you set out to do. What a thrill ride.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
From OT:

So today I decided to tackle some side quests, and an NPC in Zora's Domain dropped an item (not going say for those spoiler sensitive) off a certain bridge. So I decide to walk Zora river downstream, using my crynosis rune for footing, and the magnesis rune to pull up metal objects from the river.

I didn't find what I was looking for, but I did end up spending around a hour fishing for treasure chests, hooking myself up with some with nice bows that sported attack up and durability additives. It's insane that A. The game even allows you do such a thing, and B. The developers reward you for it.

On a side-note, fish swimming upstream are easy picking for bomb fishing. :)

Alrighjt so When I exited the Shrine of Reasurection I decided to try and find a way out of the plateau without the glider. So I messed up and ran into one of those rock monsters and got my ass beat. I then went took out some bokoblins and did the shrines. Speaking of shrines I love the ways you can solve them they are so much fun!

Dyle

When I made it to Akkala, after setting up the tower I headed straight for Skull Island. Once I got near, where the cliffs seem to be made of bones, malice began to fill the air and the blood moon rose over the lake. It was perfect timing for arriving at the cursed lake. And then I met Kilson and remembered that Zelda has a wonderful ability to place quirky characters even in the worst places.

Terrified

Reposting this from the OT. Great thread idea, btw!

Had one of those amazing 'nice touch' moments that this game keeps throwing at me...

I'm taking my time on the main quest, trying to go on foot between locations and just discover new places. On the way to one particular location, I come across a tower covered in thorns. As I'm running towards it, I miss that there are four or five of those giant Moblins, now all alerted to my presence. One of them, having no weapons, runs over to a nearby camp, picks up a startled regular Moblin, and throws him at me. One by one, he goes through the camp, catching the now escaping Moblins, picking them up and throwing them in my direction.

Daft little touch, but I swear I laughed harder than I have at a video game in a long time.

JoeNut

On my way to a village I talked to a fellow traveler that complemented me on my skill with a sword and bow and said if I wanted to join his group....

oh my gaad he was one of the evil sheik ninjas and the fight was awesome. Now I dont trust travellers

yuup i just had this!!!

concept_612TX

Neo Member
My first horse, ornery dick that he was, slid down into a river after several hours together and that was that. I couldnt get him back up without a saddle, no matter how many apples I placed, so we parted ways.

The same happened with my first horse. I shoot an arrow at him to end his suffering and he jumped back up. Lol.

Raptomex

I just woke up from a pretty long slumber, so I'm told. Like a dumbass, I went up into the cold without any form of warmth and froze my ass off. I quickly learned to cook and whipped up some weird mix of fruit and peppers. Afterwards, I ventured back up the cold mountain and into two shrines.

Yeah, this game is awesome.

Thud

Upon a spiral beach I glided looking for some treasure. Little did I know, I would spend half a hour in the sand carrying a sphere to the middle. Challenged by moblins, lizalfos and mounted bokoblins I traversed this cursed fate of mine. Halfway through, a blood moon lingered. The enemies I once thought were dead, were glaring at my back. I started avoiding these monsters. I couldn't run as I was still carrying this sphere that hindered my movement. Finally, I could cross this bridge for the orb's destination. Of course, the octorocks did try to take me down. However I was clever enough to zigzag my way to the middle. There I put the orb down and saw the magic happen.

An ancient contraption?! The goddess is clearly testing me. I entered this place thinking about what I would want written on my tombstone. To my suprise a chest was there, the journey was my challenge. The goddess blessed me this miracle.

Translation:

I found a sheikah sphere that activates a shrine and had to walk all the way to the middle. Inside there was no challenge, as finding it was worthy enough to grant me a spirit orb.

royox

I chopped down a tree and froze it in time, then wacked it with my club, stood on it, now I am Tao Pai Pai, help me, I can't get off of this log, I'm stranded in the air, please help, this is not what wood is supposed to do AAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh....

Wait wait WAIT. You can do that? Fly like tao pai pai over a tree?

Cerium

The cold at the top of the Dueling Peaks made the lush tropical environment on the horizon look rather inviting. I was supposed to be on my way to Kakariko Village for the first time, but I had already taken a detour to reach the nearby tower, so going a little further off the beaten path seemed justified. As I glided south I found an unwelcoming environment replete with hostile creatures and literal clouds of keese, the batlike monsters swarming together by the dozen.

Seeking a vantage point atop a high plateau, I touched down only to discover an absolutely massive Hinox slumbering in a clearing. The beast had high level weapons, trophies from past adventurers, strung around its great neck like jewelry. As I was only at the start of my journey I really had no business being here, let alone fighting such a monster, but I didn't come this far just to turn back.

As it turns out the Hinox hit hard enough that I would die in no more than two hits, and more likely just one. There were no weapons in my arsenal capable of putting a dent into his massive bulk. So instead I took my humble boko bow and fired an arrow straight into the Hinox's single eye. While the creature doubled over in agony, I ran up to it and snatched an impressive Knight's Claymore from its neck and began swinging like no tomorrow.

Within moments the beast was dead, and I was able to safely loot the rest of its impressive ornaments as a souvenir.

correojon

Great thread!
A recent one was when I was exploring the east coast of the map. Enemies there are pretty strong, so I was running low on health. I found a Korok time trial, but while I was attempting it night fell and suddenly 5 zombie Moblins appeared from the ground, some of them using bows. I panicked and started running, but as I was by a cliffside there was no place to run to...suddenly a lonely fire keese appeared out of nowhere and a stray moblin arrow hit it, making it fall to the ground and setting the grass on fire. I opened my paraglide and gained height, took out my bow and headshot 4 of the moblins, making them die instantly. Only a single archer was left and the bodies of the other 4 were still up, swinging their arms hopelessly. I hid behind a column, waited for the archer to shoot and headshot it as well. It was amazing how things turned around thanks to that Fire Keese. You will not be forfotten.

Zojirushi

I tried to get to the southern part of the tutorial area to finish the two remaining shrines. Then I froze to death.

The end.

When I first began the game, I decided my first horse was to be a solid black stallion that I found grazing in a large open field. I chased after this horse on foot for well over thirty minutes, constantly being immediately thrown whenever I actually got close enough to mount him. Finally, I had him cornered at a cliffside, with nowhere to go but through me. I ran up to him, threw myself upon him, and was thrown hundreds of feet to my death off the edge of the cliff.

I never got that black stallion.

I was casually fishing treasure chests out of a spring at night when out of fucking nowhere a HUGE FUCKING (late game spoilers maybe? not sure to be honest since I just stumbled upon it)
DRAGON COMES OUT OF THE WATER AND ELECTRIFIES ME TO DEATH. If I didn't have a fairy I would have been like WTF just happened because it happened so suddenly. I was shaken up lol

I was wandering around Akkala looking for a way to
Tingel Island
cause, c'mon, who wouldn't want to see what's there?

And as I was running along the cliffs across the gap from the island, I noticed a camp of 2 black moblins and 4 black bokoblins, the latter of whom were sleeping with the moblins keeping watch. At this point I've taken down my fair share of black moblins and bokoblins, but probably not in numbers like this. I thought I was ready, and had some nice weapons I could use, so I ate a nice pre-seige meal to give me temporary hearts and snuck into their camp. I must have slipped walking towards the camp as one of the moblins noticed me quite quickly and woke up the others, so I was facing down 6 black enemies on a little cliff.

I still thought I could handle it, and got a few nice hits in before I received my first blow from a bokoblin that took away about half of my hearts. So I decided I'd be a bit more careful with my attacks, but was considering running away. Well, it didn't take long for me to get hit again, this time by a moblin who sent me flying way down the cliff I was on... I must have been falling for a good 5-6 seconds before I hit the ground with about 1-2 hearts remaining.

I looked back up at the cliff and decided it totally was not worth it, so I went on about my way!

valouris

I sold my only horse in the middle of the desert/hills area for 300 rupees, I had to walk a veeeery long way to my desitnation, and I spent the next 3-4 hours without a horse in the game because I couldn't find any during my travels and couldn't be bothered to specifically go looking for one. Worth it.

Kthulhu

I found an island where
all of your items are taken from you and you have to put 3 orbs in 3 holes.
I was almost done killing all of the enemies and then a
blood moon
happened and I had to start over.

They get real pissed when you say no to everything they ask.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I was on my way to
Kakariko Village
with my girlfriend watching me play and I stopped at a cooking pot just before passing the Twin Peak mountain to cook up some food.

At one point I get out of the inventory when I notice the overall hue of the world turned red. I look up at the sky and I see the
first Blood Moon

Me and my girlfriend were freaking the hell out because we had NO idea what was going on.

It was awesome.

Apenheul

Great idea for a topic. I just realized that BotW is the Zelda you imaged to play back in the day when the game came with a physical map, and you were sitting in the back of the car studying the map and imagining where you wanted to go first.

My story is a simple one but it illustrates how 'alive' the world can feel at times. I just left a shrine in the jungle area and continued my way to the north when I noticed a bird playing the accordion who told me about a hidden shrine in the deep forest in symbolic terms. While looking for that shrine it started to rain heavily and I was expecting lighting so I ran for the nearest road until I passed stables (the one that appears to attract lightning too). I decided to stay there for the night, hoping that the next day the rain would be gone but still it was pouring with rain in the morning. I decided to just run for it and reached the open grasslands again until lighting nearly struck me, hence I was glad to find shelter next to the road. I waited for five minutes, ten minutes.. still heavy rain and lightning. In the far distance I could see a woman running for the shelter and when she reached me she was completely out of breath from running. At this point I was already waiting for 15 minutes for the thunderstorm to pass [so I decided to make some coffee]. When I turned around I noticed a knight on a horse also standing in the shelter, we were now three unfortunate travelers stuck because of the weather. Another five minutes passed and I just ran for it.. ran and saw the clouds disappear and allow sun rays to reach the surface.

mclem

It's raining hard, I'm wandering north, loosely trying to follow the Hylia River, on a mission to seek out the Korok forest. On a beach - too far east, as I'll later discover - I encounter a traveller, who seems a bit... odd. Off. Far too interested in my Shiekah Slate. Sure enough, he turns out to be a member of the Yiga tribe I've heard about - much more agile, and I'm not overly strong right now.

But he's using a metal weapon. The skies... intervene.

Magnus

From a friend. Is this true?:

Apparently if you block arrows with a shield and then immediately holster the shield you pocket the arrows as ammo

Daknight

Nice idea! Here is mine!

After gathering the Zora armor and having visit Hatano Village I see a waterfall in the distance. Wanting to test out my new skills and find new grounds I quickly make my way to it and swam all the way to the top. The view was amazing and quickly I get a sight of complete ice mountain in the distance, the mist on the top clear a bit and a sight of some giant purple beast caught my attention. With my feeling of adventure at the maximum I decide to challenge the mountain.

Climbing it prove more difficult than I thought, with my ice resistance only good for 15 minutes if I use all my elixir (5 minutes, then a 10 minute one and last one was 5 minutes too). As I climbed, Wolf look at me as if wanting to attack, but they quickly ran away once I got close to them.

After 10 minutes of climbing and finding footing to rest along the way I am met with a dragon corrupted by Ganon and quickly am task to cure it. My ice resitance was good for only some 5 more minutes and chasing the dragon all around the mountain was quite the challenge. I manage to conquer it and I am rewarded for my efforts greatly. After such event I set my eyes for my next adventure...a burning mountain in the distance!

Putosaure

A simple little something that happened last night :

I saw in the distance some horsemen and realized getting closer that it was bokoblins chasing a boar, probably for dinner right. I hid to look at the scene, then saw one of the bokoblin getting away from the others. I killed the bastard with an arrow, then hopped onto his horse - the first I've ever ridden. Calmed him down, and we walked a little bit. The sun setting down, the high grass, the wind with some little piano touches, we were only the two of us. I was amazed by the atmosphere of this game.
And then I saw enemies and me and my new pal went ramming into those fuckers, that was good times.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Following might spoiler you something from the plateau. it's really early game stuff..

so a friend of mine started playing and went straight for the shrine in the snow area. he had no food, no warm clothing. but he was so sure that he has to go there first....he startet collecting wood, build fires and made "warmth supply camps" along the way and walked their with a torchlight in his hand.

I still can't believe he did the snow shrine first on the plateau that way lol.

epicnemesis

Just trekking over to a shrine and it starts to rain. Hmm by weapon seems to be powering up. Woa its really starting to pulsate, I must be coming up on something awesome, I should keep heading straight. *Struck by lightening and killed*

Wil348

I saw a deer (today).

Seriously though, yesterday I ran into a group of enemies, two further off wielding shock arrows and one who ran up to me for a one on one. The two with the shock arrows didn't care that their teammate was near me and fired at us anyway. He died.

Daknight

It's raining hard, I'm wandering north, loosely trying to follow the Hylia River, on a mission to seek out the Korok forest. On a beach - too far east, as I'll later discover - I encounter a traveller, who seems a bit... odd. Off. Far too interested in my Shiekah Slate. Sure enough, he turns out to be a member of the Yiga tribe I've heard about - much more agile, and I'm not overly strong right now.

But he's using a metal weapon. The skies... intervene.

Nice! It happen to me on the 'island' thunder was my saviour twice. Killing two bokoblins as they all had metal weapons xP

Well capture my first horse was an incredible experience. The setting with that blue sky and those blades of grass, the wind and the perfect animations of the horses. All magical.

Magnus

I braved the wintry area of the plateau first, not knowing frostproof clothing existed. I cooked up some spicy food but it didn't go far. To my delight, climbing the tallest peak in the frosty area had me stumbling on the Old Man who gave me some frostproof garments. Hurray!

Kebiinu

Banned
I was in one of the regions towards the east, where I climbed a cliff to look at my surroundings. At the top of this cliff were two Bokoblins riding skeleton horses. They notice me in the distance, and start trotting over in curiosity, before charging into assault. I wasn't prepared for horseback fighting, so I was on the defense. As I'm dodging their arrows, electric Keese bats appear out of nowhere. They were resting in a tree. It becomes a four on one battle, and Im getting overwhelmed.

I focus on the Keese bats, and jump off the cliff I had just climbed up. I'm gliding to avoid fall damage, all the while a Keese bat pursues me off the cliff. I pull out my bow, slow motion active, and I shoot the bat down before falling down below, the bat—now dead—falls alongside me in agony.

It felt very cinematic, and very fucking cool. Can't win every battle I guess, lol.

concept_612TX

Neo Member
You know the guys at the stables can bring back your "lost" horses...right?

Oh I didn't know that, thank you!. I always go look for him and take him back to the stable to store him!.

But at that time I had just captured him so he wasn't registered yet. I was still learning the controls so jumped off him while running and he fell near the river.

My sister got very angry at me when I told her what happened.

valouris

Following might spoiler you something from the plateau. it's really early game stuff..

so a friend of mine started playing and went straight for the shrine in the snow area. he had no food, no warm clothing. but he was so sure that he has to go there first....he startet collecting wood, build fires and made "warmth supply camps" along the way and walked their with a torchlight in his hand.

I still can't believe he did the snow shrine first on the plateau that way lol.

I did that trek with a torch in hand as well, didn't even cook anything or get the warm doublet. It just made sense to me to have a torch for warmth, and it seemed to be working!

Peléo

Great idea for a topic. I just realized that BotW is the Zelda you imaged to play back in the day when the game came with a physical map, and you were sitting in the back of the car studying the map and imagining where you wanted to go first.

My story is a simple one but it illustrates how 'alive' the world can feel at times. I just left a shrine in the jungle area and continued my way to the north when I noticed a bird playing the accordion who told me about a hidden shrine in the deep forest in symbolic terms. While looking for that shrine it started to rain heavily and I was expecting lighting so I ran for the nearest road until I passed stables (the one that appears to attract lightning too). I decided to stay there for the night, hoping that the next day the rain would be gone but still it was pouring with rain in the morning. I decided to just run for it and reached the open grasslands again until lighting nearly struck me, hence I was glad to find shelter next to the road. I waited for five minutes, ten minutes.. still heavy rain and lightning. In the far distance I could see a woman running for the shelter and when she reached me she was completely out of breath from running. At this point I was already waiting for 15 minutes for the thunderstorm to pass [so I decided to make some coffee]. When I turned around I noticed a knight on a horse also standing in the shelter, we were now three unfortunate travelers stuck because of the weather. Another five minutes passed and I just ran for it.. ran and saw the clouds disappear and allow sun rays to reach the surface.

I love how the NPCs seek shelter when it's raining. By the way, it's possible to avoid being struck by lightning by holding non-metal equipment. If you open the menu during thunderstorms you will see some weapons sparkling. Those are the ones that attract them.

tkscz

Riding on the road I ran into a man looking for people to give him a hand. Says he is with some tribe and that he's out to kill the hero. Then POOF dudes a ninja. Shot him in the face with arrows, took his sword and his money. He also left MIGHTY Bananas.

Dr.Hadji

Stepped out of the Shrine atop the cold mountain on the Great Plateau without anything to ward against the cold. Hurried down the Bokoblin camp fire that was still lit after I defeated them on the way there. I made a series of mad dashes to the edge of the cliff to survey a quick path down only to hurry back before I lost life due to the cold.

I needed some way to take the fire with me down the mountain...... Oh hey a barrel. Barrels can roll down a mountain, barrels can burn, can burning barrels roll down a mountain? What's more will it keep me warm? Camp fire lights the torch, the torch lights the barrel, and the flaming barrel is making a mad dash down the mountain.....with me surfing on my shield behind.

I felt pretty smart creating a poor man's X-Games challenge as a means of survival. Until the barrel took a strange bounce and felt apart on the side of the mountain. Half way down and no fire means the only thing left was a do or die dash across the Dead River. I made it, but just barely.

Top Bottom