• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scorpio will use supersampling technology and has a 4K Bluray player

Theorry

Microsoft will tout the benefits of "Project Scorpio" for 1080p screen users in a number of ways, according to our trusted sources.

First of all, when Project Scorpio launches, it will come with Shader Model 6 (SM6) and shader compiler improvements, not only for Scorpio, but for existing Xbox One models as well. SM6 is an API for creating shading, and the new version should bump up efficiency across the board, saving developers time and system resources.

Secondly, existing games that make use of dynamic scaling on Xbox One will achieve their target resolutions more frequently on Project Scorpio, without patches or updates. Project Scorpio will also lead to less dropped frames, meaning existing Xbox One games should look and run better on Project Scorpio, hitting their target frame rates more often.

Lastly, games that sport True 4K assets will also enjoy graphics enhancements on 1080p displays, thanks to the console's supersampling technology. There are many games on Xbox One that sacrifice anti-aliasing quality for performance in other areas, resulting in models with jagged edges. Anti-aliasing gives objects the appearance of smoother edges, at the cost of system resources.

For games that have 4K updates on Project Scorpio, 1080p sets will see improved image quality, because the otherwise wasted resolution will be used to provide smoother edges and shadows. Games such as Ghost Recon: Wildlands, which suffer heavily from jagged edges due to the game's huge draw distance, should see large benefits from this technology.

However, to get the full benefits of Project Scorpio, you will need a 4K TV. We can confirm that Project Scorpio will come with a 4K Blu-ray player, powered by HDMI 2.0a with Wide Color Gamut and HDR. We also received reliable information that Project Scorpio will see a sizeable lineup of its games, both first and third-party, hit a True 4K resolution for owners of compatible TVs and monitors.

If you wish to purchase the console before upgrading your TV, however, Project Scorpio should provide a raft of benefits even on older HD sets. The fact that Project Scorpio will be a possible option for people who don't want to upgrade their TVs should be good news for lots of people, helping the console reach a potentially wider audience than it would have as a pure 4K machine.

Keep it locked to Windows Central for all the latest information on Project Scorpio!

http://www.windowscentral.com/project-scorpio-supersampling-for-1080p-tvs

Gamezone

Gold Member
I would be surprised otherwise. At some point we need bigger discs. Games are already 50 GB and up.

Hoo-doo

Banned
So.. this guy has absolutely zero news to share?

Who would have thought the Scorpio to have a 4K Blu-ray player when their 250$ cheaper tier unit already was carrying one for a while now? Real shocking insider scoops there.

Did I read correctly that the console itself will "supersample" to make 4K capable games look better on 1080p sets? Haven't people complained a bit that PS4 Pro doesn't do this by default? I guess that could be good for some people.

I'm not 100% sure that I want either a Pro or a Scorpio anytime soon. Sounds like I'll get along just fine without either. Really makes me curious to see what the "next step" will be for both console makers. Microsoft's strategy seems to suggest iterative consoles are their next big step. Sony has kind of left the door open for speculation.

I would be surprised otherwise. At some point we need bigger discs. Games are already 50 GB and up.

Ultra HD disks will never be used for games on the Scorpio, as all games must run on the Xbox One. Ultra HD Disks will only be used for games on next gen Xbox/PS5.

So.. this guy has absolutely zero news to share?

Who would have thought the Scorpio to have a 4K Blu-ray player when their 250$ cheaper tier unit already was carrying one for a while now? Real shocking insider scoops there.

It's news. It's just very very expected news.

Akai__

TX8NIiS.gif

I have some other insider information about Scorpio that I can share. Putting it in spoilers so the Microsoft scrapper bots don't see it.

Scorpio will play Xbox One games.

Hoo-doo

Banned
It's news. It's just very very expected news.

It's not news when it was already 100% expected. I mean come on.

This is him trying to squeeze out a nothing article out of a safe bet acting like he's got insider access.
If I post an insider-article about the Xbox Scorpio being CONFIRMED to support Wi-Fi, then technically that would be news. And I would be totally right come launch thanks to my hot insider sekritz.

Well I wasn't going to get one because I have a nice PC but since it has a 4K blu ray player I might... I'm going to wait on the price though, as well as if they announce any more exclusives that won't come to PC. Would make a nice fit under the entertainment center for the rest of the family and friends since my PC setup is in the basement and I wouldn't want to split resources anyway.

Pretty excited to hear about this here new supersampling technology they've created exclusively for the XBox One Home Entertainment Scorpio Console.

c0de

The S has one, so it would kind of be ridiculous if the Scorpio didn't.

But it's useless as streaming is the future and quality is enough with 4k streaming. It's only for enthusiasts and they buy dedicated 4k uhd players as they are way better with dual hdmi output and all the other mandatory features enthusiasts need.
Microsoft should follow the hardware company Sony on that case.

Melchiah

Lastly, games that sport True 4K assets will also enjoy graphics enhancements on 1080p displays, thanks to the console's supersampling technology. ... For games that have 4K updates on Project Scorpio, 1080p sets will see improved image quality, because the otherwise wasted resolution will be used to provide smoother edges and shadows.

Sony should take notice of this and follow suit, since the support for 1080p Pro users has been lacking.

EvB

But it's useless as streaming is the future and quality is enough with 4k streaming. It's only for enthusiasts and they buy dedicated 4k uhd players as they are way better with dual hdmi output and all the other mandatory features enthusiasts need.

Follow Standalone UHD hardware manufacturer Sony and keep out features so you have to buy a standalone player?

Serious? You could also say the Scorpio is useless then. Let gaming enthusiasts buy dedicated PC gaming machines.

Falchion

I'm just glad to hear the player confirmed, not like it wouldn't be included but who knows. I would've thought it would be in the PS4 Pro too.

I can also confirm it comes with a gamepad, HDMI lead and useless pamphlet.

I risked a lot to get this information so please be grateful. It's a snake pit out there.

Follow Standalone UHD hardware manufacturer Sony and keep out features so you have to buy a standalone player?

Serious? You could also say the Scorpio is useless then. Let gaming enthusiasts buy dedicated PC gaming machines.

violin-cat-o.gif

Hoo-doo

Banned
You knew about SM6 support for Xbox One?

Nah, you're right, that part is actually somewhat new. But i'm personally not in a position to judge it's technical importance. Is it the bombshell you've been waiting for?

What kind of tangible improvements will SM6 bring?

It's not news when it was already 100% expected. I mean come on.

This is him trying to squeeze out a nothing article out of a safe bet acting like he's got insider access.
If I post an insider-article about the Xbox Scorpio being CONFIRMED to support Wi-Fi, then technically that would be news. And I would be totally right come launch thanks to my hot insider sekritz.
seems like he just posted the article to me.

i don't necessarily disagree that it's not really news, but you sure as fuck jumped to conclusions about his intentions "acting like he's got insider access."

Top Bottom