• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe confirmed 1080p60 1-2 local players, 1080p30 3-4 local players

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
People were hoping for 4 player 1080/60 ? Pretty sure we knew about this for a while now.

? Fast RMX has an adaptative resolution, between 900 and 1080p even on single player. This one is 1080p locked.

There were definite frame drops on FAST RMX playing it on 4 player split screen last night. I know they have a performance patch coming up however, but it is not a locked 60 fps in 4 player currently.

Flux

Hmm I'd the 720p or even lower if necessary to maintain 60 fps with four people. Then again, I know nothing of the technical side.

LordKano

I don't understand, does Mario Kart 8 run at native 1080p on Switch when it's docked?

1080p60fps docked on single player and local up to 2 players. 720p60fps on portable mode with the same settings.

Once you go for 3 or 4 players, it drops to 30fps.

Xdrive05

For those who played 3-4 players local on Wii-U, how does Mario Kart 8 play in 30fps? Is it still responsive gameplay wise?

When everyone has their own Switch it'll be nice to have 2 players on the TV and everyone else on handheld in the same room, and everyone gets 60fps. I think I'd much rather do that then 3-4 on the TV at 30fps. But maybe it's fine?

LordKano

How is that even possible given Switch is a handheld and only marginally better than Wii U?

Can we expect a game like Mario Odyssey to be 1080p60fps as well? That would be insane

'cause it isn't. Switch is sensibly more powerful than a Wii U, on docked mode.
Mario Odyssey may be 1080p, but since they're prioritizing framerate over visuals on this one, it may be restricted.

Berordn

How is that even possible given Switch is a handheld and only marginally better than Wii U?

Can we expect a game like Mario Odyssey to be 1080p60fps as well? That would be insane

The benefits of modern architecture and optimization, but docked it's substantially more powerful than Wii U.

For those who played 3-4 players local on Wii-U, how does Mario Kart 8 play in 30fps? Is it still responsive gameplay wise?

When everyone has their own Switch it'll be nice to have 2 players on the TV and everyone else on handheld in the same room, and everyone gets 60fps. I think I'd much rather do that then 3-4 on the TV at 30fps. But maybe it's fine?
it feels fine still, I usually played 4 player local mp with mk8.
Like proper 60 or that 59/60fps jank from the Wii U version?

right in the op :p
For those interested, here is an early performance analysis by Digital Foundry, wherein they confirm that the 59fps bug from MK8 on Wii U appears to be gone - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r2-nVHZ_bQ

Xdrive05

It's not marginally better. It's actually quite a bit better, even on paper taking the most conservative estimates.

It's kind of ironic that the best launch game has misled people into thinking the Switch is barely faster than Wii-U. Even in handheld it's more flops and especially the gains from new Nvidia architecture makes it much faster still. And docked it's twice that or more.

With four player splitscreen can another person with the game on Switch race those 4 locally? Two Switchs connected together with four playing on one while the other is played in handheld mode.

It's actually a lot more powerful than wii u,especially in docked mode if optimised well.
I'm not sure why so many people here expected all switch games to be 720p and no more than 30fps.....

Going from 720p60 to 1080p60 is what I would indeed classify as "marginally better". It's just a slight bump in resolution, which most casual gamers would be hard pressed to even notice.

Berordn

I don't think og MK8 was dropping a frame. Wasn't it outputting the 59th frame twice?

Disclaimer: Idk how this works

As I understand it the 59th frame was getting rendered twice while AI was present, presumably because it offloaded something involving them to the GPU.

So not technically dropped, but functionally similar.

hoserx

Going from 720p60 to 1080p60 is what I would indeed classify as "marginally better". It's just a slight bump in resolution, which most casual gamers would be hard pressed to even notice.

A slight bump? Have you done the math? It's significantly more pixels.

921,600 pixels vs 2,073,600 pixels.

I don't think og MK8 was dropping a frame. Wasn't it outputting the 59th frame twice?

Disclaimer: Idk how this works
it was outputting a duplicate frame every 2 seconds which made the framerate look like it was dropping, it didn't happen in time trials however - and time trials don't have ai drivers - so digital foundry think it was cpu related.
Upon analysis we determined that the game suffers from extended clusters in which a duplicate frame is displayed every 64 frames. What this ultimately means is that, during normal gameplay, Mario Kart 8 continually drops down to 59fps.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-vs-mario-kart-8

Top Bottom