• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective season 3 making some progress, Deadwood's Milch joins creative team

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaislip3

After two years off the air and plenty of speculation about its future, HBO’s True Detective is making some progress behind the scenes toward a new season.

EW has exclusively learned that creator Nic Pizzolatto has penned at least the first two episodes for a potential third edition of the acclaimed anthology crime drama.

We have also learned that Emmy-winning writer-producer David Milch — the mind behind dramas such as Deadwood and NYPD Blue — is coming on board to work with Pizzolatto.

The extent of Pizzolatto and Milch’s collaboration is still early days and not yet formalized. Obviously, Milch’s experience as a writer will be a key component, but for the record he’s not expected to serve as the True Detective showrunner (at this stage, there is no specified season 3 showrunner). Also keep in mind a third season has also not yet been greenlit, so new episodes are far from certain.
http://ew.com/tv/2017/03/27/true-de.../?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

CHC

Surprising, after Season 2 was defecated all over by mostly everyone. Hope it can be good again, the first season was pretty cool.

caliph95

Honestly David Milch can probably help smooth things over. Season 2 even if it had fans felt like i could use another draft or two so Milch can probably help with that.

On one hand, Milch is prodigiously talented and could conceivably make anything interesting. On the other hand, Milch is so difficult that I can't see this working. Prove me wrong, HBO.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Giving Pizzaman a while to work on the season, and getting him some help, could make for a great season 3. There was a lot of pretty cool themes and scenes in season 2 that got bogged down with Pizzaman smelling his own farts, I think a more focused and humbled Pizzaman could still put out another great season.

robotrock

Banned
I never saw Deadwood but I am glad people in here seem to be excited about True Detective Season 3 because of this news.

That first season was so good

Mirand

Get a single director for the entire season. S2 was fine; it was just a shadow compared to the brilliance of S1.

Sounds interesting. Wonder if they will do like season 1 and find one director for all episodes.

Anyways, if it does get greenlit, they need to take their time.

Catvoca

Banned
TD season 2's dialogue kind of felt like it was going for a (very poorly executed) version of Milch's incredible, weird ass dialogue so this might actually be a good fit.

B33

Banned
Season 1 is great.

Season 2 is awful and it was set up for failure due to a lack of time and poor creative choices that both fall on HBO and Pizzolatto.

Additional time and the hiring of David Milch are promising choices.

hydruxo

As long as Pizzaman has learned from his mistakes on S2, I'm all in. I still have faith he can string together another great season of TD. Milch joining the team definitely helps a lot.

I feel like after season 2 they should let this show die. You don't recover from that.

Yeah it was awful. Hope they can prove everybody wrong because the name is definitely tarnished now.

Season 2 was the most disappointing thing since my son

Q0dJS_-1434986515.gif

Solo

Milch on True Detective? Oh lawwwwwwd. Suddenly this would be the greatest thing ever. Like, bringing TD not only back from the dead kind of greatest thing ever, but bringing it roaring back to life with the best writer in the whole television industry.

Please god let this happen!

Should be interesting. Milch is an amazing creative mind, but he tips in the direction of a lunatic at times. Didn't he destroy something on the set of Luck and Mann barred him from being on set for a bit? Cornballer, am I remembering an actual incident or just rumors?

Solo

Should be interesting. Milch is an amazing creative mind, but he tips in the direction of a lunatic at times. Didn't he destroy something on the set of Luck and Mann barred him from being on set for a bit? Cornballer, am I remembering an actual incident or just rumors?

He showed up to fight Mann. Like, throwing fists.

TheOddOne

He has a bit of a problem.

- THR: How the $100 Million 'NYPD Blue' Creator Gambled Away His Fortune.
David Milch, the storied mind also behind 'Deadwood,' changed television. Now, according to a lawsuit, the racetrack regular has lost his homes, owes the IRS $17 million and is on a $40-a-week allowance. Still, his supporters stay close: "He's brilliant.”

Good. Never understood the logic the show lived or died with Pizzolatto's involvement. There are more than enough talented people out there who would be interested in working on the show. Even though the second season shit the bed, there is still some prestige there to make it attractive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom