• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel films lack cinematographic style

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
They are reminiscent of blockbuster comedy films which have rules that include basic color tuning and avoidance of atmospherics, particularly lingering or contemplative shots and audio sequences.

They often look alike despite different directors on some of them (was it Joss Whedon who hinted at the lack of personal freedom?) and have good effects in many cases but there's no surprise in why people call them "committee films" or "look like TV shows."

They just don't have much style. It's as basic as an American family action movie can be.

Hell, if Guardians of the Galaxy didn't take place in such a different setting from the Avengers umbrella, those dance off bullshit scenes at the end would look like they used the same procedure booklet to shoot as all the other basic colored daytime normality that is the MCU.

Spill ya thoughts - I am one of those style IS substance people who basically screams like an excited little girl inside at certain shots in Atonement or Children of Men or even the good sis Zack Snyder's WATCHMEN.

EDIT: don't get distracted by a hype shot thanks

You really just started a reaction thread to shit on one of the most hype moments in comic book movie history?

I feel they've improved since Phase 2. Each Phase 3 movie so far has had a pretty unique visual style - Guardians 2 looks like it's on another level. I hope Thor Ragnarok really sets itself apart because I loved how Hunt for the Wilderpeople looked.

Ahasverus

I blame digital.

The First Avenger is hands down the best looking movie of the MCU, and it's no coincidence it was shot on film.
I mean at the end of the day they're still comic book movies.

They aren't exactly trying to be Kubrick.
But if a CBM aspired to do something greater?

Haunted

I mean at the end of the day they're still comic book movies.

They aren't exactly trying to be Kubrick.

Betty

Banned
Looked fine in the film, and that continuous sequence of them all fighting in new york is great.

I also don't want dark and grungy for these films, I enjoy the colour.

Icolin

Banned
Not the best example to pick when it comes to lacking cinematographic style. That scene was mad hype.

On the whole though, I agree with you, but it doesn't hinder my enjoyment of the movies. It does hinder them from going beyond being just a comic book movie, unlike TDK trilogy and Logan.

Corpekata

Banned
This is an incredibly hot take that has not been expressed a thousand times.

Next up: Marvel movies have lame villains.

Ridley327

I think that they've been steadily getting more and more interesting when it comes to photography, and I think for its other faults, Doctor Strange definitely has some remarkable visuals going on throughout, especially within the last 20 minutes of the film. That being said, it's rare when tentpole films do something unusual and exciting with the cinematography, so I'm not prepared to declare it a problem that's exclusive to Marvel Studios.

jelly

They do look cheap as hell a lot of the time but it mostly works for what they are. I think I'm more bored of the action than cinematography to be honest but suppose you could link the two to some degree.

Busty

Banned
Let's just say that Marvel Studios have a set way of doing things which others have had trouble adapting to.

What's the word I'm looking for..., regimented. Yes, that's it, regimented. They have a very specific, regimented way of working and this is the result.

Still, you can't argue with the results.

Icolin

Banned
That's a pretty lazy excuse. Look at stuff like The Dark Knight, Spider Man 2, or Logan. They're all shot much, much, better.
This right here.

Even BvS, for how bad it was/is, has shots and visuals that stay with me after the movie, unlike most MCU movies, barring maybe Avengers and Doctor Strange.

Ahasverus

I can agree, if we were only talking about the first Avengers movie. The rest seem fine.
26049129111_5f934cb70b_b.jpg

Completely unexcting. Why is everything so grey and washed out.

And before somebody calls "Oh you want them to go Snyder style" don't forget there was a filmaker who already acomplished the perfect balance with an iconic marvel character
spider-man-2-2004.jpg

Meanwhile, in 2017

Yawnny

I agree with OP. Kenneth fucking Branagh directed Thor and it looks like every other candy coated superhero movie. This is the guy who directed and started in Hamlet for christ sake..

That being said I still enjoy the Marvel movies.

icespide

Banned

And before somebody calls "Oh you want them to go Snyder style" don't forget there was a filmaker who already acomplished the perfect balance with an iconic marvel character
spider-man-2-2004.jpg

Meanwhile, in 2017
What's wrong with the homecoming pic? I don't get it
Edit: oh nice stealth edit

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I feel like that milqutoastness is the style of the Marvel films. It creates approachability.

Haunted

That's a pretty lazy excuse. Look at stuff like The Dark Knight, Spider Man 2, or Logan. They're all shot much, much, better.
what I'm trying to say is that Marvel revels in their comic book roots and shoot for maximum mainstream appeal, raking in the billions doing so.

Dark Knight and Watchmen aren't comic book movies in that sense, even though they share the source medium, they're vastly different takes on it.

f0lken

spider-man-2-2004.jpg

Meanwhile, in 2017

Nice posting a pic that detracts from your argument and then editing your post

spuckthew

You know, I started watching Age of Ultron in bed the other night and thought exactly the same thing during the opening sequence. They're shallow, they lack style, and the humour they [try to] incorporate is bland.

That isn't to say they're not entertaining or good (they are), but thought-provoking artistic cinema you will not find.

Deepwater

the cinematography thing is a valid critique along with the coloring, but those alone don't really make them bad films.

I mean, they're not high brow oscar award winning wankfests. But who is expecting them to be?

blakep267

I just blame it on the homogenization of Disney. Even Force awakens leaked the style the the prequels or th OT had. Disney tries to go for the realistic look too often

It was too compressed, but if you so desire...

5310217-2519112941-UWUBO.gif

One looks like the real world, the other straight from a PS4 videogame.

One of them is also a finished movie project. But you're not gonna find me arguing that Spider-Man 2 is a bad looking movie. It's a high standard all comic book movies should strive for.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Let's just say that Marvel Studios have a set way of doing things which others have had trouble adapting to.

What's the word I'm looking for..., regimented. Yes, that's it, regimented. They have a very specific, regimented way of working and this is the result.

Yeah, I'm sure Marvel gives all of the cinematographers strict guidelines to follow lmao. You're full of shit.

Ahasverus

One of them is also a finished movie project
The finished CW Spider-Man was disctractingly CGI-like, but here's hoping. I might not give two damns about marvel hero of the month, but Spiderman really deserves a great film in general.
One is completely CG and the other isn't which isn't really what your original point was about I think
Well yeah, if they're going full CGI they should try to make it look realistic enough. Even the lightning is flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom