• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coded Arms PS3 canned? What's going on?

duckroll

http://blog.livedoor.jp/nekogagotoku/

This blog reports as part of it's weekly magazine news coverage that development for Coded Arms Assault on the PS3 has been discontinued. Since this week's news was rather weak with most of the focus on Gundam Musou and SRWW I guess this slipped. I just noticed it. Does anyone else know what or why? Development seemed to be going along fine last we heard....

Defuser

And i was looking forward to it :(
Productions cost is too high? or is it related to the amount of PS3 selling?

duckroll

This is definitely unusual and unexpected. Since the official site has not updated with the news yet, we'll probably know a little bit more next week. After all the Famitsu issue is supposed to hit stands on 4th Jan. I don't think there's actually news in the Famitsu though, just that it's listed as discontinued in the upcoming games listing.

RaijinFY

antiloop said:
UE3 yea. Seems like UE3 isn't too good on PS3.

I would like to know what team was developing it? A japanese or US team?

EDIT:

I mean It could be like Namco and Its FCK... :lol

tetsuoxb

The TGS build was less than promising, so this news doesn't come as a shock. To be honest, I hope they retool it and put it out, as I think the concept of a Japanese FPS is something that should be explored further.

Wollan

I think it was a Russian team strangely enough.

tetsuoxb said:
I think the concept of a Japanese FPS is something that should be explored further.

I would like to add that the concept of a gameworld inside a computer system is pretty fascinating as weapons are gained by getting their source codes and such. Matrix basically but a game that threats the environment as a actual computer system and not a kung fu battlefield.

Matix

Wait, Coded Arms (PSP) was pretty shitty, and from recent impressions of the PS3 version demonstrated didn't seem much better. So uh, is this really something to be worried about.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Matix said:
Wait, Coded Arms (PSP) was pretty shitty, and from recent impressions of the PS3 version demonstrated didn't seem much better. So uh, is this really something to be worried about.

But the PS3 version looked cool, that was promise enough.

Wollan

I was never going to pick it up but it is 'nice' having a creative shooter around that's not necessarily built by fps-dev-x.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
B0000060NF.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V61597163_.jpg

Defuser

Wollan said:
I was never going to pick it up but it is 'nice' having a creative shooter around that's not necessarily built by fps-dev-x.
Yeah shooting Virus program in a Cyberworld is more refreshing than aliens and monsters.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Defuser said:
Yeah shooting Virus program in a Cyberworld is more refreshing than aliens and monsters.
In concept, no, but the presentation shown at TGS suggested something rather fresh.

duckroll

Chris Remo said:
What magazine reported this?

Weekly Famitsu has a section in every issue where they just list upcoming games for all the platforms with known dates and prices, as well as projects previously listed but have been canned.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Confirms what I heard from a source long ago. Troubles with tech ultimately killed the project.

damnit, the videos looked good (considering it was early footage), I liked the idea of fighting in a cyber world that was large (compared to the confined PSP game).

MegaTen

Banned
That's a shame.. the presentation and music in the TGS video were great. I was looking forward to hearing the full version of the song...

Angelcurio

chespace said:
Confirms what I heard from a source long ago. Troubles with tech ultimately killed the project.
If thats true then epic really needs to put his act together with the ps3 version of UE3.

duckroll

MegaTen said:
Couldn't Konami just move development to Xbox 360 or Wii(not sure if Wii has any UE 3 games)?

What good would that do when the core problem is the team not being able to grasp the UE3 engine?

MegaTen

Banned
duckroll said:
What good would that do when the core problem is the team not being able to grasp the UE3 engine?
Is it just that, though? Maybe they had problems with the engine on the platform.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Defuser said:
And i was looking forward to it :(
Productions cost is too high? or is it related to the amount of PS3 selling?

you wouldn't make significant development decisions like canning a game based on a few weeks of poor supply

Bebpo

Banned
Japanese developers + UE3.0 = NOOOOOOO. :(

First FCK, then LO, now CA. Is there a single Japanese team using UE3.0 that's had no problems and game production is coming along well?

Is it just the language barrier that's killing Japanese developers? Or is it because Western engines are designed very differently than Japanese ones?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Bebpo said:

First FCK, then LO, now CA. Is there a single Japanese team using UE3.0 that's had no problems and game production is coming along well?
I was going to say Fatal Intertia, but they had problems with UE3 as well it seems; hence the delay.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Bebpo said:

Is it just the language barrier that's killing Japanese developers? Or is it because Western engines are designed very differently than Japanese ones?
I'd say language barrier + lack of "true" GPU knowledge and the tools associated to it (especially normal maps) thanks to years spent working on the exotic PS2 hardware.
Bad_Boy said:
I was going to say Fatal Intertia, but they had problems with UE3 as well it seems; hence the delay.
Fatal Inertia isn't developed in Japan though, it's Koei Canada IIRC.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Gek54 said:
So what big engine is more PS3 friendly?
To my knowledge there aren't any big and popular engines besides UE3 now that Renderware has been bought by EA. And even Renderware seems to be struggling with next gen hardware in general since 2 EA games switched to UE3...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
MegaTen said:
Is it just that, though? Maybe they had problems with the engine on the platform.
Sooo...your suggestion was to target the Wii instead (for UE3)?! :lol :lol

Pretty sure there are tons of UE3 multiplatform games coming. The 360 ones might always come out first, that's how it was with PS2/Xbox 1 (with PS2 getting the games first, Xbox getting them later and a tiny bit improved but nobody caring).

There was an interview about Coded Arms on G4TV and it's definitely a Japanese team making it. It looked pretty damn far along so I would be surprised if it was cancelled all together, maybe they shifted it to 360. The only other thing would be if they realized that it wouldn't sell in the US in 2007 versus all sorts of other superior FPS competition. I actually like cyberpunk a lot so hopefully it will eventually come out.

Bebpo

Banned
CountZeroInt said:
...so I would be surprised if it was cancelled all together, maybe they shifted it to 360.

I think people need to realize this isn't a PS3 issue, but a UE3.0 issue. At worst if UE3.0 was running worse on PS3 than the framerate would have dips, but they wouldn't CANCEL a project over that. Plus FCK was on X360 and LO, which was said to have LOTS of UE3.0 problems in development was X360 as well.

This is a Japanese developers not being able to work with UE3.0 problem. Moving games to X360 won't fix the problem.

Capcom has it's own engine now, Konami will have its own engine once MGS4 is done, Square has its own engine, Mistwalker has a personal engine from BD + are working with UE3.0 on LO, etc...by the end of the day 99% of the Japanese developers are just going to make their own engine and share amongst projects in the company. UE3.0 will never have the penetration in the east that it has in the west.

Top Bottom