• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The making of Resident Evil VII (Part Four): Sound, Level Design and Talk of RE8

Jawmuncher

The video mainly goes over the sound design, some graphic talks, making the mansion, and what the future of Resident Evil holds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fhgiw8XaBc

sdsshsr8s.png

sdsssz8pe2.png

sdssssqhow2.png

While the RE8 talks are light, does seem to reinforce the idea that mainline will now be where they try and experiment more.

Neff

I really love hearing Takeuchi talk about Biohazard. He's outlined what Survival Horror means perfectly, probably even better than Mikami himself has, and his comments about RE8 are very interesting and exciting. I hope he's on board for the next one.

Jawmuncher

I really love hearing Takeuchi talk about Biohazard. He's outlined what Survival Horror means perfectly, probably even better than Mikami himself has, and his comments about RE8 are very interesting and exciting. I hope he's on board for the next one.

He definitely seems to be pretty knowledgeable in why people find the numerous different styles entertaining in their own ways.

H13

Please Make 8 like 7
Revelations like 5-6
Re2 like old RE
And release some outbreak also pls 😢

Jawmuncher

No cod action please, just fix whatever minor issue 7 had.

They need a game that can capture the entire first section (getting dog heads) throughout the entire experience. With a better Segway into the action at the end.

But this sounds like they're thinking of doing more than just fixing RE7 issues

kc44135

Please Make 8 like 7
Revelations like 5-6
Re2 like old RE
And release some outbreak also pls 😢
Yep, this.
They need a game that can capture the entire first section (getting dog heads) throughout the entire experience. With a better Segway into the action at the end.

But this sounds like they're thinking of doing more than just fixing RE7 issues

Definitely what I took from this video too. RE8 could be another big shake up for the series, although I will still admittedly be pretty surprised if the First-Person perspective is dropped, if only because they likely learned so much about designing a game around that perspective from developing RE7, and could make RE8 an even better game due to that experience. It would be a strange move, for sure.

Neff

No cod action please, just fix whatever minor issue 7 had.

RE7 is excellent, but its issues are more than minor imo, at least with regard to franchise consistency. I sincerely wish the characters, dialogue and story had been better, and the later sections (which are starved of the kind of 'environmental character' they talk about in this video) just utterly pale compared to the Baker estate.

Please Make 8 like 7
Revelations like 5-6
Re2 like old RE
And release some outbreak also pls ��

This is literally what will happen.

I wonder if the RE7 they were originally developing has remained in development as RE8.

Pieces of it may well do, they sometimes retain characters, locales and concepts when restarting RE builds (for example Leon is the protagonist of almost all of RE4's various iterations) or moving to new chapters entirely, but more often than not they just start over with a clean slate to fire up their imagination.

RE7 is a very potential-laden springboard to jump into future chapters with, and I'm sure the RE8 team's imagination is running riot right now.

I dont think RE8 will follow suit. I have the feeling from watching that, that it will go full on action again. If thats the case then count me out.

Jawmuncher

I dont think RE8 will follow suit. I have the feeling from watching that, that it will go full on action again. If thats the case then count me out.

It be interesting if the went back and forth on mainline. Odd survival horror, Even more action focused. But to me, this just sounds like they won't be making the same style game again (FPS VR Survival Horror) more than anything. I could see them attempting their own style of survival horror that isn't reminiscent of older titles and stands more as it's own new addition to the series.

Truant

I personally think RE7 is the best RE game, besides maybe RE4. I love 2, but that's more a nostalgia thing.

RE7 is one of those games that feel almost inevitable in their sense of style and their place in pop culture. I don't want to use the word "iconic", but it has a certain timeless quality to it. Like films you grew up with, you take them for granted in a way. Like, of course there's a Ghostbusters.

To be honest, I'd gladly pay for just more RE7. My main problem is that the mansion part is way too short. I wish there were more puzzles, more rooms to explore, and perhaps a more non-linear approach to the exploration.

Rymuth

Next RE different from RE7? That oughta make the Re7 detractors happy.

My only plea is that they don't go completely nuts - keep the RE6 gameplay confined to the Revelation subseries but the main flagship should focus on horror.

Jawmuncher

As long as 8 has more replay value in its design then i'm fine with whatever they decide.

This is definitely something I want. A lot of that Banned footage DLC felt like stuff that'd originally be included with the base game. At minimum something like jacks birthday or Survival would have been

CD'S BAR

8 will be like 7 but with more combat focus and coop and by 9 it will be full-on fps...then time for reboot.

I'll allow 8 to be over the top action game with ghost Wesker, endless QTEs and Leon doing backflips as long as REmake 2 is done in the same style as REmake.

FLD

I'll be pretty disappointed if RE8 ends up being drastically different from 7. They had a strong core concept with 7, they just need to iterate on it now. It's not like there's much that truly needs fixing, really. More enemy variety, a bigger location and a stronger narrative that doesn't fall apart in the last act. Basically, I want the RE2 to RE7's RE1 (if that makes any sense).

There's only two things I really need from the series at this point. REmake 2 should be done exactly like the original REmake and RE8 needs to be a better version of RE7. As long as I get those two things, they can fuck everything else up as much as they want, for all I care.

kodecraft

I'll be pretty disappointed if RE8 ends up being drastically different from 7. They had a strong core concept with 7, they just need to iterate on it now. It's not like there's much that truly needs fixing, really. More enemy variety, a bigger location and a stronger narrative that doesn't fall apart in the last act. Basically, I want the RE2 to RE7's RE1 (if that makes any sense).

Agreed. I don't like that they want to make RE8 different then RE7...why not expand on what RE7 was? To take that away and try yet another approach is crazy.

Im betting RE8 may be a third person multiplayer survival game with a story... a Dead by Dawn Resident Evil, since they want to change it again.

Is that what y'all want huh?!? Huh!?! Lol

I can see the current mainline RE expanding the same way the original trilogy did. The original game took place in a relatively contained location and then they opened things up in the sequel. They now know the general style that they want to use in terms of horror. But RE8 will inevitably be different because there's really no way they can retread the crazy southern family theme again. And that was a huge part of RE7's atmosphere.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
They better not make it too different. RE6 to RE7 is about a big a jump in quality a franchise can make. They got back a lot of the lost good will towards RE with 7. They shouldn't squander that. But they shouldn't run it into the ground either.

Keep the FPS view/VR, the style, the horror atmosphere, the feel and weight of the combat, and the inventory. Go harder on the puzzles , and less DLC shenanigans.

Jawmuncher

They better not make it too different. RE6 to RE7 is about a big a jump in quality a franchise can make. They got back a lot of the lost good will towards RE with 7. They shouldn't squander that. But they shouldn't run it into the ground either.

Keep the FPS view/VR, the style, the horror atmosphere, the feel and weight of the combat, and the inventory. Go harder on the puzzles , and less DLC shenanigans.

I still disagree about the puzzle aspect. Are that many people picking up an RE title and going "oh fuck yeah, there's gonna be puzzles in this"? I felt RE7 had a fine balance, they just need more variety (way too many shadow puzzles). I don't think there's any reason to make them harder as a whole. I've watched people in real life, and on streams have trouble with the puzzles as is already. They should be a means to an end in getting an item to progress and not the main attraction. That's how they were even in REmake.

SomTervo

I still disagree about the puzzle aspect. Are that many people picking up an RE title and going "oh fuck yeah, there's gonna be puzzles in this"? I felt RE7 had a fine balance, they just need more variety (way too many shadow puzzles). I don't think there's any reason to make them harder as a whole. I've watched people in real life, and on streams have trouble with the puzzles as is already. They should be a means to an end in getting an item to progress and not the main attraction. That's how they were even in REmake.

Iirc there definitely more, and more varied, puzzles in RE 1 & 2, it was a big draw. 7 has a lot of busy work in place of puzzles. imo 7 would have been even better with more + harder puzzles.

Jawmuncher

Iirc there definitely more, and more varied, puzzles in RE 1 & 2, it was a big draw. 7 has a lot of busy work in place of puzzles. imo 7 would have been even better with more + harder puzzles.

If they ever decide on harder puzzles, they should make them difficulty related. Let people have normal or hard puzzles. While the older games had more puzzles and variety, I never felt any of them were hard even back in the day.

The only puzzle that I'd say was hard was the water treatment puzzle in RE3. I sure don't mind not having more puzzles like that.

Top Bottom