• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 HD Remix - The Ultimate Version on PS4 Pro?

Vashetti

Banned
To mark the 15 years since its first release, we pit the original PS2 version of Kingdom Hearts (rendering at 512x384, and then upscaled to 512x418) against the latest 4K remaster on PS4 Pro. Unfair? Absolutely, but it's a mark of just how far we've come. The stats bear mention: PS4 Pro renders 42x the number of pixels compared to PS2 - and yet, despite this huge vault in image quality, it still runs at a smooth 60fps on Sony's latest machine. Tom and RIch talk over the ins and outs of an impressive compilation that gears us up for an eventual Kingdom Hearts 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh-aOHRjBug

Worth bearing in mind the game only renders at 4K if the Pro is connected to a 4K display, 1080p users are locked out of downsampling as was the case with 2.8

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Proof that art direction and good budget combined can go a long way. Hard to believe KH is 15 years old and still looks good.

KH1's exaggerated facial animations still beat many games today.

Of course, KH on PS3 is 1080p capable, so even on base PS4, they surely have tons of overhead. Hitting Native 4K60fps on Pro should be no issue despite how crazy shit gets on screen. This is an actual conventional 'game' running at 4K60 as well, not some small indie thing which makes it more impressive

Inuhanyou

This is becoming more common.

I have a feeling devs are excluding it, as it will be included as a global option in a firmware update.

That would be nice because i don't really see any other reason for not including it and its patentently anti consumer. just to take something like that out like ND did...of course then the question remains why it was not in at launch in addition to boost mode

Andrefpvs

I have a feeling devs are excluding it, as it will be included as a global option in a firmware update.

How long until this update is provided, though?

Until the update comes, not including downsampling effectively means that 1080p users are getting screwed over.

Some communication would be welcome so we know what to expect.

Byvar

It's embarassing that they keep saying all the issues have been fixed with the day 1 patch. There's only like 2 things that have been patched so far. KH1 and 2 still drop sound effects all the time and KH2 still save crashes. Both KH1 and 2 still have those smaller 60fps problems too. They are still very enjoyable and the best versions no doubt, but they still have problems and saying they don't will definitely not get them fixed.

Vashetti

Banned
How long until this update is provided, though?

Until the update comes, not including downsampling effectively means that 1080p users are getting screwed over.

Some communication would be welcome so we know what to expect.

Major PS4 updates are on a ~6 month schedule

4.50 released March 9th. So we're looking at September time for 5.00, and that's if 5.00 provides downsampling features for 1080p display users.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
42x the pixel count at double the framerate compared to the original

LOL that's a crazy stat to see

Major PS4 updates are on a ~6 month schedule

4.50 released March 9th. So we're looking at September time for 5.00, and that's if 5.00 provides downsampling features for 1080p display users.

I doubt that would be a major update if they do plan on implementing it. Hopefully MS saying that all modes need to be available to users on Scorpio gets some fire under Sony to fix it.

Vashetti

Banned
I doubt that would be a major update if they do plan on implementing it. Hopefully MS saying that all modes need to be available to users on Scorpio gets some fire under Sony to fix it.

There's been very few times the updates between .00 and .50 updates have introduced new features.

If more downsampling features are coming, it's in 5.00

Inuhanyou

42x the pixel count at double the framerate compared to the original

LOL that's a crazy stat to see

To be fair, the difference between PS2 and PS4 in pure hardware power is....quite large.

Mind boggling to think about there being more than 100 times the amount of memory alone for games on PS4 as there was PS2, yet certain PS2 games still hold up very well in the modern era

Cincaid

Playing this right now on a Pro (with a 1080p TV). Even with no downsampling it's still an amazing port, and it feels awesome to play these games in almost flawless 60fps.

Vashetti

Banned
Playing this right now on a Pro (with a 1080p TV). Even with no downsampling it's still an amazing port, and it feels awesome to play these games in almost flawless 60fps.

Yup same.

Though getting to Tron's world in KH2... it has lots of very straight lines and the aliasing is apparent. I imagine that's not a problem when displayed in 4K or downsampled to 1080p from 4K.

Brhoom

Banned
It's embarassing that they keep saying all the issues have been fixed with the day 1 patch. There's only like 2 things that have been patched so far. KH1 and 2 still drop sound effects all the time and KH2 still save crashes. Both KH1 and 2 still have those smaller 60fps problems too. They are still very enjoyable and the best versions no doubt, but they still have problems and saying they don't will definitely not get them fixed.

Are you sure there aren't any bugs that would have a negative impact on my enjoyment?

Should I play the PS2 version then?

gdt

Are you sure there aren't any bugs that would have a negative impact on my enjoyment?

Should I play the PS2 version then?

Even if there are bugs it still farrrrr superior lol. But like I said, I've seen nada. It's gorgeous on PS4. Pro or not.

Xliskin

4k for these games not worth it don't get me wrong they are gorgous games to think these are PS2 games is crazy but I don't think 4k will benefit from it that much

What kind of improvements the downsampling provides besides the amazing AA? I'm playing this on PRO on a 1080p screen and the game has like 0 aliasing, it's amazing.

Inuhanyou

4k for these games not worth it don't get me wrong they are gorgous games to think these are PS2 games is crazy but I don't think 4k will benefit from it that much

with that art style i dunno about that. it really shows off some of the core assets pretty well, of course i said the same about the PS3 remaster as wel

What kind of improvements the downsampling provides besides the amazing AA? I'm playing this on PRO on a 1080p screen and the game has like 0 aliasing, it's amazing.

just AA, of course at 1080p certain artifacts and blemishes are also not likely to be seen

What your getting is the base 1080p PS4 version which was already 1080p with likely 4xMSAA, as pristine as possible

Footos22

60fps is worth it and if they can hit that with 4k why wouldn't you......

Fisty

Why would it need to be a global option? Does supersampling require extra work? I would think locking out 1080p from 4K rendering would be more work than just rendering at 4K regardless of output

just AA, of course at 1080p certain artifacts and blemishes are also not likely to be seen

What your getting is the base 1080p PS4 version which was already 1080p with likely 4xMSAA, as pristine as possible

Well if the main thing is really AA then I don't think people are missing that much just because there isn't downsampling. (I mean in this case of course, other games like Horizon are incredible with the downsampling).

gdt

The IQ is insane. It definitely benefits. Anything would benefit.

Yea, I wanted to buy this but I'll wait until they stop screwing over 1080p owners or whenever Sony gets their shit together. Whichever one is first.

No wonder the game looks so clean, I didn't expect native 4k but great to hear it is. Been playing it all week, it feels so much better at 60fps too.

Top Bottom