• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enterbrain says Dragon Quest IX could sell 5 million in Japan

ziran

According to Gamefront, Hirokazu Hamamura, President of Enterbrain, has said in a report to Mainichi (newspaper), Dragon Quest IX could sell 5 million in Japan.

Edit - This would make it the biggest selling Dragon Quest game in Japan, surpassing VII's 4.1 million on the PS1.

farnham

Banned
sp0rsk said:
Pokemon isn't an rpg!

what is it then... a non game..?

seriously pokemon is nothing more then an RPG

it has turn battles, random encounters and a story that blows chunks..

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
5 million is a bit too much, but I think 4 million is very possible for a few factors

- online play
- this will be the cheapest Dragon Quest title since uh I think ever? the console DQ games went for 80 or 100 bucks (talking in dollars of course) I doubt a DS game is going to cost so much
- it's on DS
- it's Dragon Quest

well we'll see.

DarknessTear said:
How many copies of DQ8 were sold in Japan?
3.5 million I think it actually sold less than DQ7 that's for sure.

It has every chance of doing this.
By the time this game comes out it would need only sell to 25% or so of the installed base to do this, and on DS thats more than possible!

Parl

False, is that non-games on DS or Wii are those that become successful. Those that are successful on DS or Wii become non-games.

ziran

i think it's possible, but it's still an amazing amount even for dragon quest.

in its favour is the incredible popularity of ds, which is still growing, the relatively casual appeal of the series in japan and how dqix extends this, which is perfect for the ds audience.

imo, if dq9 sells 5 million, animal crossing ww, nsmb and a few other titles will sell over 5 million and pokémon diamond/pearl will sell 7-8 million.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
If DS keep selling over 100K a week until DQ is out I won't doubt this. But the change from a RPG to an aRPG could hurt sales.

jarrod

Banned
Just for reference (worldwide sales)...

Dragon Quest VII (PS1) 4.150.000
Dragon Quest VIII (PS2) 4.100.000
Dragon Quest III (FC/NES) 3.850.000
Dragon Quest VI (SFC) 3.200.000
Dragon Quest IV (FC/NES) 3.150.000
Dragon Quest V (SFC) 2.800.000
Dragon Quest II (FC/NES) 2.500.000
Dragon Quest (FC/NES) 2.000.000
Dragon Quest V (PS2) 1.700.000
Dragon Quest III (SFC) 1.400.000
Dragon Quest I+II (SFC) 1.200.000
Dragon Quest IV (PS1) 1.200.000
Dragon Quest III (GBC) 1.100.000
Dragon Quest I+II (GBC) 700.000

jesusraz

jj984jj said:
If DS keep selling over 100K a week until DQ is out I won't doubt this. But the change from a RPG to an aRPG could hurt sales.

Especially considering how Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker has started on the DS at this stage of the system's lifetime. Also, a huge marketing push will definitely help, just as it has done with DQM: J so far...

jarrod said:

Dragon Quest III (FC/NES) 3.850.000
Dragon Quest VI (SFC) 3.200.000
Dragon Quest IV (FC/NES) 3.150.000
Dragon Quest V (SFC) 2.800.000
Dragon Quest II (FC/NES) 2.500.000
Dragon Quest (FC/NES) 2.000.000
Dragon Quest V (PS2) 1.700.000
Dragon Quest III (SFC) 1.400.000
Dragon Quest I+II (SFC) 1.200.000
Dragon Quest IV (PS1) 1.200.000
Dragon Quest III (GBC) 1.100.000
Dragon Quest I+II (GBC) 700.000

Yay, worst one sold the most copies.

5 million? Maybe a bit too high, but the DS has humbled me with the way it's breaking records left, right and centre, so yeah, I think it's too high, but it's a real DQ game on the DS. It's possible.

I Am Error said:
Blue Dragon?

Lost Odyssey.

Hey, this thread reminded me that he made some predictions for Wii, PS3 and X360 predictions for 2006. So I check and....

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123875&highlight=Hirokazu+Hamamura
PS3 - 750.000 in Japan in 2006

One week more that (unlike surprise hardware supply) will push PS3 around 450k-475k. Not really good.

Wii - 1.000.000 in Japan in 2006

823k with 280k last week, it will depend on Nintendo supplies last week but hey, very good.

X360 - 250.000 in Japan in 2006

I don't remember now but isn't it very near 200k? Not bad.

So I'm going to mark this prediction. imo 3m is locked, beyond that is up to first week total plus legs plus word of mouth and such....

jarrod said:

Thats outdated, DQVIII sold 3.5-3.6 in Japan (going by usual trackers), NPD puts it at >400k and Square-Enix says 410k to Europe (although they said 600k first). So its 4.3-4.5m and the best selling DQ...

thefro

Keep in mind people who may have shared a copy of DQ in the past will have to buy multiple copies (and DSes if they don't have them already) to play together.

So I think 5 million is certainly possible.

Fady K

Anihawk, what have you done? :lol

For those of you who dont know what Back to the Future is, its a movie trilogy starring Michael J Fox.

Anyway, 5 million could be possible since its on the DS. If the game actually turns out to be better than 8, then it would deserve it. Im not digging the emphasis on online though, not for me :( Not to look at the glass half empty, but dont RPGs usually end up having bad offline when the game is mainly about online gameplay like Phantasy Star Universe?

Worldwide VIII sold the best though, and that makes me happy :D

Top Bottom