• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft FY2017 Q3 Earnings - Xbox Live MAU 52m (up 13%) Gaming revenue $1.928bn

i will update this topic constantly

Microsofts Fiscal Year 2017 Quarter 3 Earnings Results for the period 1st January - 31st March 2017
link to previous quarter

notable events, with impact on the Gaming segment performance:
- non, beside the usual industry trends

overall Company overview and Financial Highlights:

·         Revenue was $22.1 billion (up 8% YoY) GAAP, and $23.6 billion (up 7% YoY) non-GAAP
·         Operating income was $5.6 billion (up 5,5% YoY) GAAP, and $7.1 billion (up 4,5% YoY) non-GAAP
·         Net income was $4.8 billion (up 23% YoY) GAAP, and $5.7 billion (up 14% YoY) non-GAAP
·         Diluted earnings per share was $0.61 (up 30% YoY) GAAP, and $0.73 (up 18% YoY) non-GAAP

after hour trading including future outlook:
C-c6RdxXcAAh16e.jpg:large

More Personal Computing division and Gaming segment Financial Highlights and Investor Metrics:

Total Revenue $8.836bn

Windows ~ 4.6bn

Gaming 1.928bn

Devices ~
Surface 0.831bn
Phone ~ ZERO
Other ~

Bing ~ 1.7bn

Total Operating Income 2.097bn

C-cgjvQXsAAsVH_.jpg:large

3 months
C-cjQMWW0AEpIPY.jpg:large

9 months
C-cnfihXoAA_xrl.jpg:large

C-cg1igXgAAv5RM.jpg

credits to Daniel Ahmad industry analyst at Niko Partners @ZhugeEX on Twitter

Outlook and Conference Call talk:

More Personal Computing Revenue of $8.4 to $8.7 billion

Amy Hood CFO:
In Gaming, we expect to see continued healthy user engagement on our Xbox platform and we look forward to E3 in June, where we will share more on Project Scorpio and new titles for the next fiscal year.

sources:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Investor/earnings/FY-2017-Q3/press-release-webcast
http://shareholder.api.edgar-online...lO1qIk0lZR1J15&ID=12019369&PageBreakStyleID=2

Blanquito

Thanks.

I assume that the revenue up by 4% is YoY? Or since last quarter?

Edit. YoY. Same with the other points in that image.

This is a BIT misleading when it comes to Xbox Live monthly active users.

From a year ago, it's up 13%. Yes.

However, from just last quarter, it's actually down more than 5% to 52 million.

MAU means life.

Wouldn't that make sense that less people are on after the holidays? Not sure how that works, but seems like the previous quarter would be the busiest time of year.

Same thing happens every q1, it's some of the holiday crowd dropping off. Should go up a little rest of year then spike in Q4 again, rinse repeat

Wouldn't that make sense that less people are on after the holidays? Not sure how that works, but seems like the previous quarter would be the busiest time of year.

Correct. It's nothing out of the ordinary. MAU from Q4 2015 to Q1 2016 was also down. Holidays is busiest time of year so will see the most users

Thewonandonly

Nice to see overall gaming revenue and software up. Not a huge gain but hey at least it's showing some growth
Ya I'm hoping this will lead to a growth in new ip's from them because sadly there's is getting stale :( as a Xbox fan boy the last year has really turned me around because damn look at PS4. Don't get me wrong sea of thieves looks incredible and I have high hopes for crackdown, but man gears and halo I think have ran there course. To bad that heist game never got made :( hopefully they invested in state of decay 2 and make that a big AAA game now because it got announced at E3. They should invest in more developers now tho since they are growing a bit.

Fiscal reports generally compare to same quarter last year.

Absolutely, just stating a fact that it's down from last quarter. And then again lots of companies compare both YoY and QoQ figures to paint a broader picture. Unless the YoY figure is more favorable, then why highlight the negatives in their slides right? :-D

flkraven

In the same way you wouldn't compare January sales numbers to December sales numbers, you don't typically see comparisons quarter after quarter. Comparing the same time periods makes the most sense.

JlNX

The point is to show growth from the same time last year. Through out the year the market changes from the start of the year to the holiday season so it's not a fair comparison due to constant trends like the number of active users after the holiday's (busiest time of the year) compared to the start of the year were it would be lower. In fact comparing to the previous quarter would be misleading.

Trago

I think MAU and gaming revenue will increase fairly significantly if Xbox Game Pass takes off.

I imagine, for example, Microsoft at some point cutting the price of the S model and maybe bundling in a free month of Xbox Game Pass. That might give them the opportunity to really get the value of the service out there to the more casual crowd and keep them engaged into the platform. Game selection is gonna play a big part into that I think.

Thewonandonly

I think MAU and gaming revenue will increase fairly significantly if Xbox Game Pass takes off.

I imagine, for example, Microsoft at some point cutting the price of the S model and maybe bundling in a free month of Xbox Game Pass. That might give them the opportunity to really get the value of the service out there to the more casual crowd and keep them engaged into the platform. Game selection is gonna play a big part into that I think.
That would be huge for them I would think. Exspecially if the game selection is big enough and keeps rotating with good games. People won't be able to finish all games in a month and would continue the service.

The point is to show growth from the same time last year. Through out the year the market changes from the start of the year to the holiday season so it's not a fair comparison due to constant trends like the number of active users after the holiday's (busiest time of the year) compared to the start of the year were it would be lower.

Yes, seasonal indeed and it often drops a bit after the holidays. Just stating it in terms of both metrics.

Trago

That would be huge for them I would think. Exspecially if the game selection is big enough and keeps rotating with good games. People won't be able to finish all games in a month and would continue the service.

I do wonder how far Microsoft and the publishers are willing to go in terms of content. A major AAA game launching on the service would make a serious splash, or a few months after launch, but which publisher would pull the trigger?

Mikey Jr.

I do wonder how far Microsoft and the publishers are willing to go in terms of content. A major AAA game launching on the service would make a serious splash, or a few months after launch, but which publisher would pull the trigger?

Is EA interested, even if they have a competing service? Probably not.

Flux

When was the last one of these that had actual Xbox console sales numbers?

Yeah that's what they bank on. Even on GAF, you are an outlier to be playing more than four games a month. I can't even keep up with GWGs. I'll still probably subscribe to check it out for a bit and see how much I can't make use of it.

Supreme leader MAU has been going on for Atleast a year?

sangreal

It's not misleading at all. The YoY number is a better indicator because there is always a drop-off after the 4th quarter holidays. Which is clear in that graph if you undo the shift he applied to change it to calendar years instead of fiscal years (this is confusing because the graph is in calendar years and the table next to it is in fiscal years)

All the big ones will want their own version of EA access sooner or later

Expect bright future of having to pay:

XboxLive Gold+XboxGamePass+ EA Access+ Ubi/vivendi Access + Bethesda Access + Activision Access+ .... few years from now

blakep267

I doubt a major major game would launch on it. You may get new bigger indie type games launching into the service that are digital only. Like just spitballing, something like Yooka laylee maybe would've been something that would've done well to launch in the service. I don't think the Xbox store sales for it are setting the charts in fire

Top Bottom