• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thumper on Switch is 60fps and features redone camera for portable mode

Cerium

I wasn't originally planning to get this because I've already got a backlog but it seems like the devs are putting a lot of effort into optimizing for the platform.

https://twitter.com/ThumperGame/status/861596807045947393

THUMPER‏ @ThumperGame

Thumper runs at 60 FPS in handheld mode on Nintendo Switch. The camera/perspective is also optimized for the smaller display. Coming May 18!

C_EjTzOUIAEQ8Ml.jpg

TRAILER

The pricing is up in the eshop. 19.99€.

1080p on docked and 720p on handheld mode; 60fps on both which is pretty nice.
Haven't had much of a problem with console games keeping the camera the same way on the portable so far, wonder what changes here.

Option-

i know these games have an audience but i hate the artstyle of these.
it looks like a first year college student trying to make a tron clone.

ldar247

Banned
Seems to a rhythm game judging by the trailer (thought it was a racer from the screenshot lol). Does it let you import your own songs?

i know these games have an audience but i hate the artstyle of these.
it looks like a first year college student trying to make a tron clone.

Oh hell no.

Also we could use more (good) "tron clone" styles, crazy lighting, simple yet crisp. More of that please.

sanstesy

I never thought I would say this, but here goes: It's really weird not seeing this game in VR.

While Thumper is generally more intense in VR, it is still one of the most intense game experiences ever made.

Even simply on a screen this game has an unparalleled effect on you no other game does and I'd say if you have a good sound system VR should be the second choice here. Thumper strives on its superb sound design first.

Love this game, curious about playing it in handheld mode.

I played it in VR and on a TV and felt that immersion was pretty important. Even when I played on the TV, loud headphones and low room lighting really enhanced the experience.

SigSig

Full-on existential dread: Thumper in VR
Existential dread on the go: Thumper on Switch

double dipping for sure!

PixlNinja

Banned
I tried the demo for this when I still had my PSVR and thought it was great. Not sure how much would be lost not being in VR but I'm still interested the Switch version.

ThatMattZ

I really want to double dip on this to play on the go but I feel like it'd be weird to play it outside of VR.

Any word on price?

Full-on existential dread: Thumper in VR
Existential dread on the go: Thumper on Switch

double dipping for sure!

Yeah. I've got $50 of Nintendo store credit burning a hole in my pocket. If I dig this I will absolutely pick this up for my PSVR.

Option-

Oh hell no.

Also we could use more (good) "tron clone" styles, crazy lighting, simple yet crisp. More of that please.

Yeah, i know many many people love this artstyle but i don´t think it´s for me really.
Theres´s just a lack of a creative vision in these games but i usually love games like titan souls, broken age, fez etc. so i guess they just aren´t for me.

Oregano

This game looks rad and I'd love to buy it but I suck as Rhythm games. :(

Same reason I've never bought a Rhythm Heaven game.

lt519

Same. Can someone explain how you play it?

Rhythm game. You press A when you drive over a square, B to break through blocks, when the track turns you press left or right into it, when spikes on the ground or rings in there you jump over/through them. Everything is scored with timing a la Guitar Hero with good/excellent/great. Miss a turn or hit spikes you lose health/multiplier, two hits you are dead (can regen health by successful combos). Miss a beat (square) your multiplier resets. Top level play has tweaks on the gameplay, more points for being in the air on turns, ground pounding notes, etc. Boss fights include properly chaining all this together and attacking them by hitting an attack beat.

The music isn't really music (well of course it is) in the traditional sense, but (industrial is a good word?) beats and a feel you get after playing. It just seeps into your brain in a weird way. The turns come so fast and the music gets so ingrained you start anticipating things before you can even see them. It's really bizarre and in VR I'd have this weird fuzzy feeling for hours afterwards (I didn't have in other games) and I'd be tapping the beats long after.

Nice, I think the definitive way to play this though is VR, it's absolutely amazing!!!!

Gotta get back and finish those later levels too.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Rhythm game. You press A when you drive over a square, when the track turns you press left or right into it, when spikes on the ground or rings in there you jump over/through them. Everything is scored with timing a la Guitar Hero with good/excellent/great. Miss a turn or hit spikes you lose health/multiplier, two hits you are dead (can regen health by successful combos). Miss a beat (square) your multiplier resets. Top level play has tweaks on the gameplay, more points for being in the air on turns, ground pounding notes, etc. Boss fights include properly chaining all this together and attacking them by hitting an attack beat.

The music isn't really music (well of course it is) in the traditional sense, but (industrial is a good word?) beats and a feel you get after playing. The turns come so fast and the music gets so ingrained you start anticipating things before you can even see them. It's really bizarre and in VR I'd have this weird fuzzy feeling for hours afterwards (I didn't have in other games) and I'd be tapping the beats long after.

So it's one of those "close your eyes and you can still see it" games?

It's a Rhythm based game where your avatar (beetle) is on a road to hellish worlds. I guess you can think of each time you execute a well timed move as a percussion instrument.

The game is very very challenging, and gets harder as you get near the end. In VR, you get a greater sense of what's coming up on the road, when to dodge, jump, or 'grind' and it's a really immersive experience (kinda scary too as the game had dark, rock themes) highly recommended.

Seems to a rhythm game judging by the trailer (thought it was a racer from the screenshot lol). Does it let you import your own songs?
No, this has its own soundtrack that is specifically designed for the level design and oppressive mood of the game.
It's a rhythm game, very easy controls. Press A over white squares and blocks, drift around corners by holding the direction button and A, jump over obstacles, and more.
pkSGRUv.gif

kenta

Has no PEINS
You react to objects on the track. Tap the button to hit the glow spots, hold the button to float over spikes, press the button along with a direction to turn, press the button at the right time to shoot a projectile, etc. It gets challenging when you have to do all that stuff in a very tight sequence and the rhythm of the obstacles is non-traditional. It's pretty cool/intense

The FOV being adjusted is absolutely outstanding. Game is amazing in VR with a huge open visual area but it was impossible for me to transition to "2D mode" on a standard display without being able to see farther ahead. I'm a regular in the top 10 of most of the leaderboards, too! I just couldn't do it on my TV.

The screenshot shown here looks a lot like the angle in VR mode. In other words, perfect.

Neiteio

Any word on whether this game will incorporate HD Rumble? Seems like that would accentuate the music nicely.

lt519

So it's one of those "close your eyes and you can still see it" games?

Absolutely, maybe it was the VR, but you could still feel it. Certainly a close your eyes and see tetrominos thing, but a bit more. That's that "existential dread" crap IGN spits out. It just finds a way to root itself in you. Probably the trance like beats.

Top Bottom