• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 9 is a PS4 title in Japan, adds Cheng Pu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gematsu link.

The December 2016-announced Dynasty Warriors 9 is a PlayStation 4 title, the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals.

The Dynasty Warrior series’ first open world game, Dynasty Warriors 9 will of course feature actions that let players toss around large armies, as well as various other actions such as shooting at enemies from a distance and invading castles with a grappling hook. The mechanisms behind attack actions are being completely changed, and new characters and various “innovations” are also being added. One of the new warlords being added is Cheng Pu.

A release date for Dynasty Warriors 9 has yet to be announced.

Didn't see a thread for the new info.

Edit: Tons of info has been added to the article at the link.

//DEVIL//

Only PS4 ? I remember these games used to come to Xbox as well ( don't have an Xbox so I don't remember )

//DEVIL//

I wouldn't rule out a Xbox Version for the West. For Japan it makes sense to only release it on PS4.
I never understood this way of marketing.i mean if the game is developed for Xbox one and released on the xbox one in the west. How much it cost to change the game cover to Japanese and sell the game in Japan ? Even if it sell a 2000 copy on Xbox. It's still money .

Guymelef

as well as various other actions such as shooting at enemies from a distance and invading castles with a grappling hook. The mechanisms behind attack actions are being completely changed, and new characters and various “innovations” are also being added.

Sounds soooo good.
Finally a next step on Musou. Day One.

I never understood this way of marketing.i mean if the game is developed for Xbox one and released on the xbox one in the west. How much it cost to change the game cover to Japanese and sell the game in Japan ? Even if it sell a 2000 copy on Xbox. It's still money .
Microsoft charge per print run and they expect fairly large print runs for physical games. So it's not as simple as that.

Son Of D

It'll be lucky to sell even that on Xbox One in Japan. The thing's beyond dead there.

Jimrpg

There's a minimum order for Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony to print copies. Some publishers don't want to take the gamble to print, distribute, market and have a whole bunch of copies that go straight to a fire sale. It's a business decision.

Golnei

I can't see this being a full on exclusive.

A PC port might happen eventually, but I can see it skipping Xbox outside of Japan. At least they don't have an excuse to use the last generation version as the basis of the PC port this time...

Why is that?
You dont think a Switch version would do well ?

It's open-world with several changes to the formula; while the Switch's only current confirmed Warriors title is shared with the 3DS. I doubt it could run as it is.

eh...i don't think it will be able to sell 2000 copies on the xbox....

Hystzen

Cheng Pu yeahhhhh boi although Wu needs more late officers not even more early ones.

Wang Ping is definitely coming i feel it in my bones the story of him never making jokes and rarely talking could be hilarious

Reknoc

I'm a little nervous about any sort of change in the combat but what I'm seeing here sounds pretty good.

sirronoh

Yeah I'm in. I can only play but so much of these games but it's been years since I've played a mainline DW game so this sounds like a good opportunity.

FiraB

Banned
Just bring the empire features more into the mainline, thats all I want so I dont have to buy it twice.

FelipeMGM

thats not how this works

there is a lot of other costs involved in launching a game.

ViciousDS

Banned
I'll take this on PC or PS4.........really, really hoping for PC

I mean they brought over DW8XLC over so............bring it on!

Castle sieges should be fun

Also isn't Cheng Pu way more important historically than even Han Dang.......so weird that hes been missing this long. I mean the dude has been a damn general since DW2 If I recall.

This is sounding pretty damn cool and shows that they really are trying to innovate on the Musou formula

By making the game open-world, attack methods are also powered up. Since you can roam the map freely, you can even circumvent castles and attack from high places. There is also an extreme variety of attack methods that tests the power of the player’s conception. Can you infiltrate the castle without the enemy noticing and take out your target?

Time and weather change in real-time. The enemy’s field of vision is poor during the night or when it’s raining, making it harder to be discovered.

Here’s an overview of the game flow: among the missions that appear all over the map, there are also “main missions.” By clearing main missions, history will greatly advance forward, but these missions have a high degree of difficulty. By clearing missions associated with main missions, you can lower the degree of difficulty.

“Interactive Actions” are actions that change depending on the surrounding terrain and objects. You can use grappling hooks to climb up high mountains and walls. Or you can unleash attacks that use certain things on the spot.

http://gematsu.com/2017/05/dynasty-warriors-9-ps4-title-adds-cheng-pu

Koei Tecmo better realize that the only reason DW8 (or any of their other ports including Toukiden 1/2) didn't sell well on PC is because their ports are garbage.

Now that they're on a new engine, maybe they might support more than 30/60FPS and mouse support. Their ports haven't gotten any better since their debut in 2014.

Watch Totalbiscuit's "let's not play Koei Tecmo's PC ports"
https://youtu.be/6pD0S2ux6go

Evilisk

This new approach sounds really interesting. I wonder if the "shooting at enemies from a distance" bit means bow attacks are making a come back

Also, I can't believe it's taken this long to add Cheng Pu. Hope they're adding Liao Hua and Man Chong next

Cheng Pu yeahhhhh boi although Wu needs more late officers not even more early ones.

Having recently finished DW8, they really do need more late Wu. Maybe Lu Dai or Zhuge Ke

EDIT: Yep, bow attacks are back.

MisterR

by that logic, there must be a switch version also since it's outselling the ps4 in Japan right now

It's got a long way to go to catch up with the PS4 in Japan. Does every thread have to become a Switch port beg thread now?

TreIII

Everything definitely sounds interesting. Being able to pick up stuff on the environment to attack your opponents like in Hokuto Musou, "toned down" costumes and a new attack system. Bows are finally back, too!

But on the other hand, single char Musou stories are back, along with swimming and the like.

It's certainly ambitious, but who knows how much they'll get right in the first game. I'll be rooting them on, though.

notaskwid

by that logic, there must be a switch version also since it's outselling the ps4 in Japan right now

This is the first Musou game built from the ground up for the PS4, we don't have any idea about how demanding it'll be. It's completely possible that the Switch can't handle it.

NZerker12

Everything definitely sounds interesting. Being able to pick up stuff on the environment to attack your opponents like in Hokuto Musou, "toned down" costumes and a new attack system. Bows are finally back, too!

But on the other hand, single char Musou stories are back, along with swimming and the like.

It's certainly ambitious, but who knows how much they'll get right in the first game. I'll be rooting them on, though.

Huh, where were these mentioned?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Cheng Pu is a nice addition

I'd love to see:

Hua Xiong
Yuan Shu
Liao Hua
Cao Rui
Ma Teng
Zhuge Ke and Sun Chen for late Wu

Sima Yan actually unified China so that'd be an easy one

Sakura

Pretty excited, haven't really touched Warriors game since PS2.

Ye but Sun Shangxiang already exists? Perfection has already been achieved.

Yeah but I want to be able to marry her, as my self inserted character, is what I'm saying.

sensui-tomo

just to show a point though for the xbox thing, both of their mainline series havent touched the xbox since their last literations on last gen. as in :DW8 never touched the xbo and SW4 never touched the XBO. Unless those licenced games sold well on xbo i dont see a point for them there. Switch otoh.... its a wild card, (if DW9 is ps4 exclusive i dont see it having a chance in hell on the switch, if on vita/ps3 in japan, the chance goes up extremely)

Game needs to add Yuan Shu finally for the few things he's at in the begining... and Man Chong (probably Lu Kang as well just for the sake of names needing to be filled) and then more late Wu stuff. (and the other 2 yellow turban main generals)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom