• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Master Mode Revealed - Divinity Original Sin 2

Official
Kickstarter update
Larian Studios YT update

Videos
B-Roll GAMEPLAY (RPGWatchTube)
Divine Divinity re-created (PCGamer)
Dungeon Master Mode preview (Polygon)
Running A Campaign In Divinity: Original Sin 2's D&D Mode (GameSpot)

Articles
RPS
PCGamesN
PCWorld
Eurogamer
RPGWatch
Polygon
PCGamer

Well, we've spent the last two years building, tweaking, polishing, and testing it, and we're finally ready to show you what it can do. And who better to put it through its paces than Matt Mercer, Jesse Cox, Dodger, Strippin and Bikeman?

Matt (of Critical Role and voice acting fame) will lead some of our favorite streamers in his very own custom adventure, and you'll be able to see it live TODAY! We're absolutely thrilled to be streaming it on our Twitch channel later today (9th May) at 4pm PT. So tune in and see what Game Master Mode can do in the hands of a story-telling virtuoso!

divinitydm2.jpg
divinitydm3.jpg
Divinity%20Original%20Sin%202%20Game%20Master%20Dice%20Rolls.jpg

Tell Your Stories, Your Way
With Game Master Mode, we set out to create something that bridges the freedom of tabletop role-playing, and the interactivity and visual presentation of a computer RPG.

We built Game Master Mode to be as flexible as possible, so you can adapt to your friends on the fly and create a truly reactive world. Do your players want to burn down an NPC's home? Make a pact with, rather than kill, the demonic boss? Perhaps they want to parlay with the pack of rabid wolves using pet pal? Even if you haven't planned for it, you can adapt quickly to their choices and still deliver a story that feels real.

Whether you're new to tabletop role-playing or an experienced GM, we've worked hard to make sure this is easy to pick up and intuitive to use. We also have prepared campaigns so you can jump straight in, working with a preexisting world to get a feel for the tool or, of course, you can create your own.
Craft Your World
Game Master mode comes with a variety of world maps and over 100 pre-made locations! But of course, you can always upload your own world map or craft your own location in our powerful Divinity Engine Editor.
Mood Lighting
Tweak the atmosphere, ambience, music, time of day (why yes, there is a night option), weather and more to fine-tune your story!
Create Unforgettable Encounters
Unleash the bestiary with hundreds of monsters and characters from the Divinity universe or download player-made characters and enemies from Steam Workshop. Give characters unique skills and name them. Cover the landscape in any of our elemental surfaces using our Surface Painter. Make the fight worthwhile by creating unique items for the players to loot.
Assume Direct Control
Control any enemy or NPC directly by possessing them.
Tell Your Tale with the Vignette System
Add NPC dialogue, narration, and present difficult choices with our powerful Vignette System. Add your own graphics and even additional dialog options on the fly! Managing different dialogs and encounters is now as simple as creating a presentation.
A Roll of the Dice
We brought in the essential component of every tabletop session: skill checks. Let your players roll the dice to see whether they succeed or fail!
Play Together and Share Your Creations
Tell your story in real-time, no rulebooks needed. Possess creatures, level up the party, create new locations, encounters and items on the fly. Tell your stories, your way - and share them with the world using Steam Workshop!

---

WOW, call me hyped!! I just finished watching the video and spoilers: DM mode is FUCKING AMAZING! It's much much better than Sword Coast Legend's attempt and is on par, imo, with NWN's DM mode.

Game Master mode was an unlocked stretch goal during its crowdfunding campaign and is the longest-developed feature in the game, to my knowledge.

Well shave my back and call me an elf, Critical Role is my favourite show, Divinity Original Sin 2 is one of my favourite RPGs, Larian Studios is my favourite developer and I love both Matt Mercer and Swen Vincke - whew... I need a fan.

cKe1QrK.png

This is awesome, and there's a lot to unpack in the video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj9cPK2_qKU

It feels like a game changer.

Definitely look at the KS update page: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...sin-2/posts/1880437?ref=backer_project_update
(Lots of animated GIFs and explanations of all the capability)

This, my friends, is the ultimate power trip. In Game Master Mode, you can write stories, create NPCs (both heroic friends and fiendish enemies), build your own customisable items and treasure, craft the scenes in which your tale will play out, and much, much more as you lead your friends through the ultimate role-playing adventure.

Will you be a kind and benevolent god, or will you cover every available surface in harsh, unforgiving flame? It's entirely your choice, as up to four players put their fates in your hands and start off on an adventure through your collective imaginations.

With Game Master Mode, we set out to create something that bridges the freedom of tabletop role-playing, and the interactivity and visual presentation of a computer RPG.

We built Game Master Mode to be as flexible as possible, so you can adapt to your friends on the fly and create a truly reactive world. Do your players want to burn down an NPC's home? Make a pact with, rather than kill, the demonic boss? Perhaps they want to parlay with the pack of rabid wolves using pet pal? Even if you haven't planned for it, you can adapt quickly to their choices and still deliver a story that feels real.

Whether you're new to tabletop role-playing or an experienced GM, we've worked hard to make sure this is easy to pick up and intuitive to use. We also have prepared campaigns so you can jump straight in, working with a preexisting world to get a feel for the tool or, of course, you can create your own.

Preview by RPS: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/05/09/divinity-original-sin-2-gm-mode-preview/
At the press event, we built a chunk of Ultima VII and then started cannibalising the good guys.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Damn going to Wizards of the Coast HQ to host a DM session of one of D&D's game modules in the D:OS2 engine? How fucking rad is that?

So rad.

Sanctuary

I can't believe that I forgot about this game. I have a list of games that I am interested in that should be out this year or next at the latest, and I just noticed this game wasn't on it. Despite it being one of my most anticipated. I guess I was just so ready for it to be released last year, that when I was pushed back I decided to just forget about it until it was closer to release.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Alright finished the video.

Wow.

Just wow. This blows Neverwinter Nights toolset out of the water.

This game will be a must-play for me, but I have resisted the urge to jump into the Early Access and will wait for the final game to avoid burnout. Every update on it makes that harder!

This is getting a lot of press today!

https://www.pcgamesn.com/divinity-o...ii-game-master-mode-dungeons-dragons-tabletop

The system is incredibly adaptable, so much so that you can basically play any RPG you like within it. Thanks to the inclusion of digital dice, if there's a rule that Divinity doesn't support, you can replicate it in-game by following the rulebook of another RPG.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3195...-tabletop-rpg-sim-youve-been-waiting-for.html
The problem with Sword Coast Legends was the short time between ”This is amazing" and ”Okay, I've already run up against the tool's limitations." Maps were the worst for this, with all of Sword Coast's maps being small-to-medium sized and extremely generic looking.

And at first I thought Divinity might run into this issue too. There are quite a few maps for GMs to choose from in Original Sin II—more than Sword Coast launched with, I think—but I could already see the potential limitations.

...Except Divinity's Game Master mode is launching with Steam Workshop mod support, a la Neverwinter Nights. You should be able to make your own levels, or even import characters and prop models into your scenarios, or (if you're less inclined to put in that amount of work) download other people's assets from the Workshop and use them in your campaigns. That alone makes me more excited for Original Sin II.

Adnor

Banned
This looks even better than I expected. Can't wait for the stream demostration.

And man, using a DnD module after the failure of Sword Coast Legends, brutal.

Not able to watch the video yet, but this is so cool. I only had a few opportunities to play NWN with a DM, but it was a great time and really took me back to my PnP days

Adnor

Banned
To be honest I expected the GM mode to be mostly pre-made tilesets, with the ability to put them and monster and NPCs in real time for the GM, I didn't expect it to be so in-depth.

KonradLaw

Amazing. I fucking hated when couple RPGs were addign GM/adventure creation and it always ended up so primitive. This looks like evolution of Neverwinter Nights, pusnhing it even furtther than NWN did. Finally.!

peakish

Holy damn that looks good. Had no idea Larian was doing this for the game. They seem to be knocking it out of the park.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
Very impressive. Larian are the best.

Corpekata

Banned
Best turn based combat system was already enough to get me to buy the sequel, they just keep adding icing to the cake.

thefil

Really curious to see some more improvisational stuff happen inside it. My campaign is really fast and loose with the party often veering off in totally new/unprepared directions.

Regardless, the tools seems awesome for a more traditional D&D-esque dungeon crawl, where the possibility space is constrained. Would be really interested in joining as a player.

*edit* After reading the RPS impressions, I'm more excited. Seems like they whipped up something *very* quickly and it went totally off the rails. Cool!

bounchfx

watching now
this is seriously all I want a game to do well, because if done right it can just be played indefinitely. I was so disappointed by seeing how Sword Coast handled it. Fingers crossed for this, fucking loved Divinity OS

edit: yep, looks like the best implementation yet

After all the amazing modules of NWN, and being let down so many times since then, I'm not sure I can still hope anymore...

edit: In for Matt Mercer. I've watched 30 episodes of Critical Role in the past few weeks, so fuckin' good.

epmode

This mode is amazing. Far better than I hoped for when the stretch goal was passed. <3<3<3 Larian <3<3<3

Anno

Doesn't look like this will be in the EA version of the game. But if you enjoy playing around with RPG systems it's already fun futzing around in the first Act that's available.

Lister

Banned
Alright finished the video.

Wow.

Just wow. This blows Neverwinter Nights toolset out of the water.

::tiwtches::

Really? I gotta watch these! I loved NWN bakc in the day precisely becuase of the toolset and the DM mode.

So how about we all contribute towards a GAF campaign and the play the role of DM against other non GAF people? Mwahaha.

Top Bottom