• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia is surging after its income more than doubled year-over-year

dex3108

Nvidia’s ballooning GPU business and big bets on divisions like autonomous driving continue to look better and better, with the company’s shares jumping more than 10% after it reported its first-quarter earnings.

[related articles]In the first quarter this year, the company said it brought in $507 million in net income — up from $208 million in the first quarter a year ago. That doubled income comes as its revenue jumped 48% between the first quarter last year and this year. Much of Nvidia’s rapid ascent is thanks to the increasing need for GPUs that can handle deep learning problems like autonomous driving and speech recognition.

That’s giving Nvidia a new renewed growth story that Wall Street apparently loves. After being synonymous for graphics cards and gaming, Nvidia has emerged as a go-to provider for hardware for any company — especially startups tackling new problems — that needs to sift through an enormous pile of data and build a model that it can then efficiently tap on the spot

https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/09/n...-its-income-more-than-doubled-year-over-year/

Poor AMD.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Irresponsible levels of growth.
Joking aside, the success is well deserved. They make great GPUs and have continued to find new ways to expand their business over the years.

Compsiox

Banned
I love the CEO's personality. I don't like how he can be seemingly intentionally misleading during some of his product presentations though.

PC gaming is seeing growth and they've timed it extremely well with a Pascal lineup that literally fits any budget and are the fastest cards on the market. Well played, Nvidia.

Momentary

Banned
I spent my entire bonus on AMD and NVIDIA stocks back when they were around 2 and 12 bucks respectively. I bailed out of AMD around 14 a share since I really dont like the way they are operating right now. NVIDIA on the other hand has diversified itself by getting it's foot in the door with various industries. I'm so glad that had the foresight early on to realize that there are industries more profitable out there than the gaming industry.

I see them breaking 200 a share in a few years if not sooner. Hopefully sooner so I can go ahead and just quit my job.

After hours saw them jump from 102 to 114. I wonder what's going to happen tomorrow when the market opens back up.

Pasedo

Wonder if Nintendo had a falling out with AMD after abysmal WiiU sales and shut them out when they approached them for a chip for the Switch so they went to Nvidia instead. AMD can't seem to get a good break

Arkeband

Banned
Now if only they could stop GeForce Experience from sucking copious amounts of ass.

edit: and I still haven't received my class action lawsuit money from them either. :(

bounchfx

I spent my entire bonus on AMD and NVIDIA stocks back when they were around 2 and 12 bucks respectively. I bailed out of AMD around 14 a share since I really dont like the way they are operating right now. NVIDIA on the other hand has diversified itself by getting it's foot in the door with various industries. I'm so glad that had the foresight early on to realize that there are industries more profitable out there than the gaming industry.

I see them breaking 200 a share in a few years if not sooner. Hopefully sooner so I can go ahead and just quit my job.

After hours saw them jump from 102 to 114. I wonder what's going to happen tomorrow when the market opens back up.

pretty crazy honestly. I bought them at 46 sometime last year and really wish I bought more. 9 shares didn't get me much baha. but yeah, they've been making tons of money so I wouldn't be surprised if it keeps going up. It's just hard to jump in at times like this because you always wonder where the 'top' is, haha.

AmyS

Tomorrow at GTC, Jen-Hsun gives his keynote. He promised it would be interesting.

Listen to the earnings call here: http://edge.media-server.com/m/p/mxhh46es

BEHawyW.jpg

We all know, Volta incoming.

Momentary

Banned
pretty crazy honestly. I bought them at 46 sometime last year and really wish I bought more. 9 shares didn't get me much baha. but yeah, they've been making tons of money so I wouldn't be surprised if it keeps going up. It's just hard to jump in at times like this because you always wonder where the 'top' is, haha.

I don't see them hitting a ceiling any time soon. They have their hands in so many fields that are taking off. I wouldn't be surprised to see them do a split in the coming years to allow more people to invest. So be on the lookout for that.

Even with 9 shares, If you ever want a some spending money you've got some set aside. It's also not sitting there doing nothing.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I wonder how much of that, is from laptops sales. Using full desktop Pascal has massacred the market.

I doubt AMD can gain any mindshare in this segment.

VariantX

Wonder if Nintendo had a falling out with AMD after abysmal WiiU sales and shut them out when they approached them for a chip for the Switch so they went to Nvidia instead. AMD can't seem to get a good break

No, because AMD made exactly what Nintendo told them to make. Nothing stopped Nintendo from asking for more powerful hardware like PS4/XB1, but they wanted HW differentiation from the competition rather than SW. It bit them in the ass when it didn't take.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Gain makes it sound like they had any mindshare in the laptop sector to begin with.

Well, AMD still kinda does, with customers, as a lot of laptop gamers still fondly remember how good the run of 5870M, 6970M, and 7970M was for the culture. AMD was really kicking Nvidia's ass over those years (2009-2012), giving matching performance for far less money.

But the last few years of fuckery have really screwed over AMD's inroads with the laptop manufacturers. Meanwhile, Nvidia has released a steady stream of great GPUs.

Brofist

Awesome! They can probably double down and set their mid range GPUs to the $1000 price point now, nothing will stop them.

Usobuko

Banned
AI and self-driving are a race to the bottom. Every big tech companies out there don't want to be left behind.

I also hope for my sake it hits 200.

Happy for ya, Mr supporter of shmup.

Good to hear. They have an excellent portfolio of products and are hitting their stride in each area with smart decision making and operating within comfortable budgeting. Like others said, their product diversity is brilliant.

Need to buy some of their stock. With the addition of Volta, switch and more tergra products, the value of shares is gonna shoot up over the years.

Never bet against the leather jacket

I sold my entire AMD stake a week before earnings crashed the stock. I knew that Ryzen sales were lackluster and early leaked info on Vega has not been very good. So I took my profits and walked.

Most of it got plowed into Tesla though. I've been steadily paring my Nvidia stake recently because it has gotten so huge as a percentage of my portfolio. It can't be helped when it keeps going up like this!

It's a race to see what happens first: NVDA hits $200 or TSLA hits $500. Both are likely to happen if one happens.

Durante

I thought their earnings growth are from professional/server/automotive?
Nope, the Y/Y growth in "gaming" is almost 50%.

In absolute numbers, it's actually the segment with the largest growth. It's also still far larger than any other single segment, at over $1 billion revenue.

llien

Much of Nvidia's rapid ascent is thanks to the increasing need for GPUs that can handle deep learning problems like autonomous driving and speech recognition.

Is it? Last time I checked that was a couple of hundred millions of revenue annually.

I'd rather expect complete lack of alternatives in mid-high end GPU markets to be the main driver.

Poor AMD.

Yeah, with mere 18% growth.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Tegra revenue more than doubled to $332m due to Switch.

I wouldn't read much into that vis-a-vis future plans. Huang literally said "Consoles is not really a business to us; it's a business to them" when asked if the success of the Switch means more console contracts in Nvidia's future, the point being that Nvidia isn't going to bend over backwards to make them happen a la AMD but will instead assess proposals from platform holders themselves as they come ("... we're selected to work on these consoles") and accept "if it makes sense and the strategic alignment is great and we're in a position to be able to do it".

I think it's more likely that Nintendo had a specific vision for the Switch being a hybrid and AMD simply didn't have a SOC that offered what they needed with both the power levels and battery life. Nvidia has the Tegra, which fits what Nintendo was looking to do.

NEO0MJ

Gain makes it sound like they had any mindshare in the laptop sector to begin with.

A lot of regular laptops still carry AMD cards, and looking back until a few years ago the majority of laptops at stores (at least locally) were installed with them. And like K.Jack said they used to be pretty solid.

Top Bottom