• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: BioWare Montreal Downsized, Mass Effect Put On Ice For Now

FelipeMGM

Press Sneak Fuck sources say:

At least for the time being, BioWare has put Mass Effect on hiatus and turned Andromeda's developer, BioWare Montreal, into a support studio, according to four sources close to the company.

Last month, a number of BioWare Montreal employees were transferred to the studio EA Motive, also based in Montreal, to work on Star Wars Battlefront II. Those remaining at BioWare Montreal will help support BioWare's other games including the new intellectual property, code-named Dylan, which we expect the company to announce at E3. BioWare Montreal will also continue to patch and support Andromeda's multiplayer.

http://kotaku.com/sources-bioware-montreal-downsized-mass-effect-put-on-1795100285

EDIT: ah, merge us (or close this one) mods
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1371984

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I think that's a shame, Andromeda didn't deserve the massive backlash it received. There was a good game underneath the bugs and bloat, I was looking forward to seeing what they could come up with in the sequel.

Makes sense that they'll just support Andromeda and help with Bioware's new big IP push. We'll see Mass Effect come back in a couple years probably.

Capitan

EA getting ready to whack another dev. Bring out the obligatory comic panel.

was just gonna say, still relevant.
2161667-zFrTB.jpg

Tjamato88

That sucks but at least they aren't getting laid off and just moved to other projects.

I still want to check out Mass Effect but the bad reviews and all the negativity surrounding the game put me off. I'll probably pick it up around Black Friday when it's on sale.

Im fine with mass effect being done, andromeda didnt hit like any of the og games did for me and im content with the series as it is

Modoru

According to people familiar with the studio, at least for the time being, BioWare has put Mass Effect on hiatus and turned Andromeda’s developer, BioWare Montreal, into a support studio, according to four sources close to the company.
Kotaku, was this proofread? This reads weird, idk.

Lister

Banned
Shinobiiiiiiiii

I hear EA already took him out. RIP.

Seriously though, I think this is deserved. The game was a major disappointment to many of it's fans and it was riddled with issues and a severe lack of polish in many areas.

hydruxo

I hate to hear that, but if it means them taking a long hard look at what they need to do when they bring it back again, then I'm fine with it. I love the original trilogy but Andromeda was just a massive disappointment to me.

Well, the studio turned from support into trying their hand with one of their big franchises, failing big time, and converting into support again. Its hard to say this but they never were cut for this stuff, and thats ok, they should have stayed as support.

I hope that means next time ME is being done, its by the main studio, and on ice doesnt mean it will be forever in limbo, becuase a good ME can sell shitons.

Its a pity though to see so many people of Montreal studio being fired. Hope the best for them and that they can land soon on their feet.

The franchise is way too big for them to kill after one bomb. From my understanding Andromeda wasnt even a bomb from a sales perspective.

This depends if EA thinks this failure was actually their fault (and Montreal) this time, and not that people dont want more Mass Effect, and its not the first time EA has misjudge the market becuase of their own failures. See for example SimCity2013 debacle and Cities Skylines revolution.

NolbertoS

Bioware is still important for EA. They'll put it into cryogenic stasis and hope in 5 years time, people will be hungry for Mass Effect Remastered :p

H3xum

Does support staff mean they'll continue to update ME (sp) because....that is sort of just digging themselves deeper isn't it

What a shame. Pre-emptive r.i.p. Bioware

Griss

I mean, if you fuck up that badly after all that time in development working on such a big IP... you kinda have to expect that.

Sucks hard, but they didn't produce a good game - instead they created something that became an object of ridicule and tanked the IP - and that's the bottom line. Can't survive that.

Nabbis

What? Some of you expected a nuanced approach from a large corporation? I will be surprised if you will see ME outside of mobile in the future.

Mass Effect 1 and 2 are two of my favorite games of all time, the whole trilogy was amazing!

Andromeda isn't the most polished game but it's quite fun to play. I hope we see another Mass Effect or another game like it from Bioware in the future.

Sesha

Andromeda came out five years after 3. I guess MEffect 5 won't come out before 2025 or something, unless a lot of time was spent on the transition to Frostbite and the creation of new tools.

D i Z

Does support staff mean they'll continue to update ME (sp) because....that is sort of just digging themselves deeper isn't it

What a shame. Pre-emptive r.i.p. Bioware

Just Mp apparently. Patches, no mention of dlc either.

Top Bottom