• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Resident Evil Code Veronica X PS4 (PS2 Emulated) Tested

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWdvP3yUQ_Y

PS4 Pro has absolutely no additional benefits.

- Not an HD remaster, not even a port of the PS3/360 remaster.
- PS2 classic version emulated.
- Resolution: 1280x960 (Other PS2 emulated games run at 1290*896 for reference).
- The game runs at a higher resolution than the PS360 remaster but it does not feature wide screen like the PS360 version did, you're forced into a 4 : 3 display.
- Boost mode on Pro does absolutely nothing as the game's already capped to 30 and never drops any frames.
- A 'simple motion blur' makes image distorted at times.
- 30 FPS cap.

Pal version:

- Runs at 50hz, the emulator interpolates it to 60hz which causes additional judder not present in the US/NTSC version.
- Results at game running in 25FPS.

PAL versions will hunt us forever. And the the emulator forcing it to 60hz makes everything worse with more judder/frame pacing issues.

The US version is fine, though. And thank god I have an US account aswell.

I hope we can see more videos like this. There was a promised look at the current state of many older PS4 and XO emulated games, but sadly this video never showed up.

Vashetti

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWdvP3yUQ_Y

PS4 Pro has absolutely no additional benefits.

Is this confirmation that the PS2 emulator isn't Pro enabled?

Surely the Pro can render these games at a higher res?

I wonder why PS2 for PS4 game's use an odd resolution instead of just 720P.

Black bars are added on the top and bottom before a final upscale to 1080p. I'm assuming Sony thought this would provide a cleaner upscale/output than rendering at 720p and then upscaling.

adamsapple

I wonder why PS2 for PS4 game's use an odd resolution instead of just 720P.

1280x960 is a proper upscale of 4:3. 720p would make them 16:9 (widescreen) causing them to force black bars thus reducing the actual visible resolution even further.

I don't know if any of the PS2 games they've put out for PS4 support wide screen.

Is this confirmation that the PS2 emulator isn't Pro enabled?

Surely the Pro can render these games at a higher res?

The Pro should easily be able to, but yeah seems like the 'emulator app' doesn't have any Pro upgrades.

Tain

This seems like a really weird release. I'm sure it was easier than porting the remaster, but... man, an HD version of down-textured (I assume) port of a Dreamcast game that had a significantly enhanced port last gen?

Vashetti

Banned
The Pro should easily be able to, but yeah seems like the 'emulator app' doesn't have any Pro upgrades.

Would enabling the emulator to support the Pro provide a universal res boost to all the PS2 titles released so far?

Or would they be stuck at their current res without a patch? As this game having a slight res difference to the other PS2 emulated games suggests the devs provide a fixed res.

Ash735

Why the hell does PAL versions still exist? The excuse for the PS3 was that the PS3 could output SD and thus needed to support the right display format, but here, PS4 is pure HD, there is no reason to dump PAL copies anymore, at LEAST do an edit on the ISO of the NTSC version to include the additional languages if that's the issue.

-shadow-

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this game unoptimised 50Hz? So what's stopping them from forcing it into 60Hz?

Edit: Holy hell that stutter on the PAL version!

Why the hell does PAL versions still exist?

Edit: never mind, misunderstood. Thought you meant the format in its entirety.

eFKac

This seems like a really weird release. I'm sure it was easier than porting the remaster, but... man, an HD version of down-textured (I assume) port of a Dreamcast game that had a significantly enhanced port last gen?

Did it though?

Iirc it had crushed blacks and not much of an resolution boost.

Hope DF does an face off actually, might be too small of an release though.

c0de

Why does Sony even care? They barely release games at all and then they are technically lacking.
They should drop the trophy thing which takes way too long and just should release more games.
The effort put into that shouldn't be honored by customers.

Did the ps2 version not have a 60hz option on ps2? I know the dreamcast did and that was a year prior.

Rogue Galaxy had a 60hz option on the PAL disc (you can choose between 50 and 60hz before the game boots) and the emulated version on the EU store is only the 50hz version with no choice but terrible judder instead.

So that wouldn't be a fix by default.

PS2 on PS4 seems like such a mismanaged mess.

How is this 50hz PAL shit still getting passed cert? At the launch of the infinitive they patched most games quickly to remove it.

Not really a surprise that it's the PS2 version.. I mean it's a PS2 classic. Like most games in this series there are moderate improvements but not of a remaster quality.

Sucks they stuck with PAL versions though, that's something that should have died a long time ago.

adamsapple

Not really a surprise that it's the PS2 version.. I mean it's a PS2 classic. Like most games in this series there are moderate improvements but not of a remaster quality.

Well they did remaster Code Veronica for the PS3 and 360 a few years ago. They retooled it with MT Framework so it had a different lighting model. Ended up making the game look way too dark, but it had native wide-screen support at least.

Tsunamo

It's crazy to me that I finally thought the jump to HD would eliminate 50hz games (and it did for new software) but we're still getting older games with it in 2017. The frameblending just makes it worse.

I know there's language options issues that pop up, but they should have uploaded the US version on the PAL store.

Well they did remaster Code Veronica for the PS3 and 360 a few years ago. They retooled it with MT Framework so it had a different lighting model. Ended up making the game look way too dark, but it had native wide-screen support at least.

Yeah I'm not saying it's not baffling they didn't just port that, just that it's in line with other PS2 games on PS4.

Why does Sony even care? They barely release games at all and then they are technically lacking.
They should drop the trophy thing which takes way too long and just should release more games.
The effort put into that shouldn't be honored by customers.

Without the trophy thing could they still be justified in not offering an upgrade program for games that were already released as PS2 Classics on PS3?

adamsapple

Are they proud of this? PS2 on PS4 should've been a great program...

To be fair, this is simply the original game running at twice the resolution (Pal kinks included).and a lot of people have a really strong dislike for the updated lighting in the PS360 remaster.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Vashetti said:
As this game having a slight res difference to the other PS2 emulated games suggests the devs provide a fixed res.
No they don't. Emulator 'currently' does an exact x4 multiple of the original game's resolution - and CV on PS2 was a 640x480 game, unlike a number of other games that used 448 vertical.
Or if you want to be pedantic - devs did provide a fixed resolution for this - back in 2001.

As for Pro - I've mentioned this before, the existing classics were all patched in the month Pro launched last year, so I suspect they "might" have access to full Pro resources already - someone would have to test with unlocked-framerate games to see if there's any differences. Why the emulator hasn't been patched for higher resolutions is anyone's guess though.

chandoog said:
I don't know if any of the PS2 games they've put out for PS4 support wide screen.
Those that supported on PS2, still support it. This being emulation - there's no easy way to hack support for others without introducing new bugs.

Morgoth

Banned
So if I never played this and want to, is this version going to run poorly? I don't care about resolution. I just want play every game in the series and haven't played this yet.

Vashetti

Banned
No they don't. Emulator 'currently' does an exact x4 multiple of the original game's resolution - and CV on PS2 was a 640x480 game, unlike a number of other games that used 448 vertical.
Or if you want to be pedantic - devs did provide a fixed resolution for this - back in 2001.

As for Pro - I've mentioned this before, the existing classics were all patched in the month Pro launched last year, so I suspect they "might" have access to full Pro resources already - someone would have to test with unlocked-framerate games to see if there's any differences. Why the emulator hasn't been patched for higher resolutions is anyone's guess though.

Makes sense, thanks!

So if I never played this and want to, is this version going to run poorly? I don't care about resolution. I just want play every game in the series and haven't played this yet.

Just go for the NTSC version and you will be fine. It's better than the PS2 original and in my opinion better than the remaster on PS3/Xbox 360.

PS2 to PS4 emulation is fine, just the PAL version handling is terrible.

MBS

Banned
Inb4 "regional/licensing issues". Excuses. Paying for inferior nerfed PAL version in 2017 is truly pathetic. People at Sony should be ashamed of their selves for those kind of idiotic practices. Why not release the pure NTSC release in all regions? This is not '02 anymore.

adamsapple

Do you have an NA PSN account? Then download away, game runs flawlessly.

Do you have a PAL PSN account ? Your game will run at 25 FPS instead of 30 and will constantly feel juddery/choppy.

Just go for the NTSC version and you will be fine. It's better than the PS2 original and in my opinion better than the remaster on PS3/Xbox 360.

PS2 to PS4 emulation is fine, just the PAL version handling is terrible.

Did they add anything extra to the PS3 remaster?

Neff

Did the ps2 version not have a 60hz option on ps2? I know the dreamcast did and that was a year prior.

The PAL Dreamcast version of RECV actually did not have a 60hz option, but it was optimised and ran better than this shit does.

The PAL Dreamcast versions of RE2 and RE3 thankfully did have 60hz, so maybe that's what you're remembering.

PS2 on PS4 is a joke.

No, Sony's attitude towards giving customers 60hz is a joke, and always has been.

However the emulation of PS2 games on PS4 (in NTSC at least) is fair.

Updated lighting and native widescreen support.

I don't like the new lightning but I am especially not a fan of the widescreen support. It's nice at first glimps but it does not work well with the gameplay imho. You can see things you are not supposed to.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I don't get what's with the widespread ps2 on ps4 hate. I have a handful of games and they run fine. San Andreas, Psychonauts, Bully---weren't the best running games on the ps2. They weren't absolutely flawless versions to begin with. I'm just happy to have some of these games persevere.

adamsapple

I don't get what's with the widespread ps2 on ps4 hate. I have a handful of games and they run fine. San Andreas, Psychonauts, Bully---weren't the best running games on the ps2. They weren't absolutely flawless versions to begin with. I'm just happy to have some of these games persevere.

The NTSC version runs just fine, most of the hate in this topic comes from the treatment of the Pal version.

Top Bottom