• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It pains me there never was an Avatar: The Last Airbender fighting game.

Uzumaki Goku

I mean, the show seemed perfect for it. Four styles of bending, different martial arts styles, so many playable characters:

Aang
Zuko
Azula
Katara
Sokka
Toph
Suki
Iroh
Ozai
Ty Lee
Mai
Jet

Yet... it never happened... instead we got very forgettable games like the Burning Earth and that... other one.. (can't remember the name)

Bronx-Man

Banned
Now that I think about it, there aren't too many licensed fighters out there these days. Not unless it's like a Smash clone or something like the Cartoon Network game.

It pains me that show got the popularity that the superior Wakfu deserved.

Boooooooooooooooooooo.

mas8705

Would have been nice, but considering how games were handled back in the day, there could have been a really good chance that it would have been sub-par. It sucks to think about it, but whose to say that they still couldn't do it?

Probably alot of time has passed, but it could still be possible.

Takyon

the hard part would be reconciling all the large scale bending maneuvers with the hand-to-hand fighting that works best with fighting games.

Uzumaki Goku

the hard part would be reconciling all the large scale bending maneuvers with the hand-to-hand fighting that works best with fighting games.

I wonder how they'd do big moves... I imagine for ultra moves Azula would have her lightning, Aang would go into the Avatar State... (actually, yeah, how would you do Aang in the Avatar State? He'd be massively broken)

Reset

Also an Activision licensed kids game.
They made like 3 in the span of a year and a half, I think

Vanquish is pretty terrible. 2 hour game, awful story, terrible boss fights (the final boss is an exception), a combat system that punishes you for swapping weapons, some dumb level design decisions like the rail cart, and each level looks the same.

MSScaeva

Neo Member
There was actually an online browser-based arena fighter called Legends of the Arena back in 2008. It was rather barebones, but kind of fun the couple of times I played it. Still, a proper fighting game or a more fleshed out version of the Platinum Korra game would have been great.

Vanquish is pretty terrible. 2 hour game, awful story, terrible boss fights (the final boss is an exception), a combat system that punishes you for swapping weapons, some dumb level design decisions like the rail cart, and each level looks the same.

this guy

exfatal

I wonder how they'd do big moves... I imagine for ultra moves Azula would have her lightning, Aang would go into the Avatar State... (actually, yeah, how would you do Aang in the Avatar State? He'd be massively broken)

153900-Naruto_Shippuden_-_Ultimate_Ninja_5_(Europe)_(En,Fr,De,Es,It)-7.jpg
make it the same fighting style as naruto shippuden fighting games for ps2 ultiamte ninja games. Avatar state Aang can just be a buff he gets after his level 3 special. and wrecks the place for awhile with all his bending moves doing more damage and having the screen shaking effect when he connects.

Edit: Also all their big bending moves can be specials and ultimate moves. just image if this was wind/water instead of chakara
https://youtu.be/F26POIVIVMk?t=1m31s

PSqueak

Banned
It pains me that show got the popularity that the superior Wakfu deserved.

Yes, nothing will get your fave show more viewers than coming into a thread of a more popular show and try to create bad blood between them!

Wakfu is a show with enough strength, it definitely doesn't need you coming to shit on avatar to make it look good.

Jintor

I mean, the show seemed perfect for it. Four styles of bending, different martial arts styles, so many playable characters:

Aang
Zuko
Azula
Katara
Sokka
Toph
Suki
Iroh
Ozai
Ty Lee
Mai
Jet

Yet... it never happened... instead we got very forgettable games like the Burning Earth and that... other one.. (can't remember the name)

here's some screen test/fan stuff to have a look at from a 2d perspective

5f2f5cf9a6b3c202d9a469e233b2c55f.gif

bec900fea398c47c4d46ec7c69c89322.gif

TVZCtRW.gif

jdstorm

Banned

Not really. Platinum solved that in The Wonderful 101. Just use that system but from an over the shoulder perspective. Then have each bending style use the drawn actions in different ways. IE Flame whip vs Water whip vs something else for Air and Earth.

Combine these moves with a light and heavy attack button in a 3D Fighter and it could be something truely special.

Edit. Actually combine that with FFXV's Attack,Dodge/Counter combat system (weapon/Ability swapping on the D pad .

So the controler would be mapped

L1. Block
L2. Dodge/Counter
R1. Blast (Haduken style ranged elemental attack
R2. Attack

Dpad - Switch between up to 4 weapon types.

Face buttons
Circle. Absorb elements to heal
Square, Triangle and X. Light, Medium and Heavy attack from within shaped move.

Hold an attack button plus the right stick to draw shapes(do powerful elemental attacks)

A proper Avatar fighting game would be amazing. I think 3D would be the way to go, at least Tekken style if not more like the Naruto games. There's so much variation even among bending styles, Zuko and Azula bend in very different ways, as does Toph and Haru.

Make
Yakone
a secret character, since logically he would've been alive in OG Avatar. Keep other Korra shit out, most of the time it couldn't even get bending right (not nearly as much martial arts, just generic punching and kicking), and it fucked with the aesthetic of Avatar too much.

Really just Avatar shit in general, please. Big budget RPG where you play as Aang and get to alter the story with BIG CHOICES. also shipping and shit

jdstorm

Banned
A proper Avatar fighting game would be amazing. I think 3D would be the way to go, at least Tekken style if not more like the Naruto games. There's so much variation even among bending styles, Zuko and Azula bend in very different ways, as does Toph and Haru.

Make
Yakone
a secret character, since logically he would've been alive in OG Avatar. Keep other Korra shit out, most of the time it couldn't even get bending right (not nearly as much martial arts, just generic punching and kicking), and it fucked with the aesthetic of Avatar too much.

Really just Avatar shit in general, please. Big budget RPG where you play as Aang and get to alter the story with BIG CHOICES. also shipping and shit

So Breath of the Wild + Bending. Sounds neat. (And Crazy Expensive)

exfatal

If anything i wouldn't mind a Avatar with a tactics game play. in the veins of FFTA or even Disegea or Phantom Brave. Can follow the story but have a ton of side stuff soo you can collect characters to add to your group.

i wouldn't even bother with continuity. ATLA char in their prime v Korra char in their prime, that's fine
so basically Tales of the World but with Avatar folks? i can dig it

Jintor

If anything i wouldn't mind a Avatar with a tactics game play. in the veins of FFTA or even Disegea or Phantom Brave. Can follow the story but have a ton of side stuff soo you can collect characters to add to your group.

ehhhh what i want from a airbender game would be a sense of fluidity to the fighting

give platinum another chance, a budget, and a different director pls

Yeah Avatar needs to be an action game. Would be a treat to see the various bending styles in an open world setting. Follow the storyline to boot. Also an RTS would be awesome!

Maxinas

It's disappointing that one of the few developers who'd be able to deliver in the action department for the Avatar series, failed to do just that with that shitty Korra game. Platinum, how could you fuck up so bad.

Top Bottom