• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge PS4 Pro test. Quality mode and Performance mode

Wagram

It's pretty messed up when one of the best Pro implementations is done by deck13.

Congrats to them though. HUGE step up from LOTF.

Fbh

Looking good. It's nice to see it running at almost locked 60fps after Lords of the fallen was constantly running in the low 20's

Is performance mode dynamic resolution or 1080p?

Dunkley

That's amazing! I hope the Xbox One and PC versions hold up this good as well for their respective hardware specs as the 16GB Recommended did have me spooked.

It's pretty messed up when one of the best Pro implementations is done by deck13.

Not sure why that is messed up, technically LOTF and this game are very high tier. Definitely "state of the art".

nOoblet16

It's not really that messed up if you think about it, Deck 13 is extremely talented technically. LoTF had a lot of performance issues but it was also doing very complex stuff at the same time, things that are unseen in games even today which could be used as proof of their technical profeciency and to say that they know what they are doing. It's only when a developer fails to push boundaries and have performance issues in their game at the same time, that you can confidently say that they might not have put enough into it. I mean all Crytek games have had performance issues on consoles but we know for a fact that they are (or atleast were) technical wizards.

But there are plenty of examples of technically top grade developers where their first game (atleast on a specific platform) had technical issues with quite a few nuisances while pushing the boundaries and then they fix it all up in the sequel. The two prominent examples I can think of right now are Naughty Dog with Uncharted 1 and GG with Killzone 2.

Ferr986

IMO it's both Deck13 being pretty good at tech and usually devs don't giving a fuck about their Pro patches.

nOoblet16

Btw, the amazing thing is that the only graphical difference between performance and resolution mode is that performance mode has SSR disabled while everything else is the same, this is according to a developer who posted here when I asked him about the differences between pro Vs base Vs PC.

He said that SSR is disabled "at the moment, mainly to provide V-synced 60FPS without other visual compromises", so it might as well be added back in the future.

PC version offers higher resolution textures and shadowmaps and higher resolution buffer for volumetric lights.

DieH@rd

Banned

Well, some will most likely complain that Quality mode is not near native 4K resolution.

But I have to say, it's really shame that BB cannot hit the Pro's 1080p performance that Surge has.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Playing this at the moment and I gotta say, I'm a little disappointed with the image quality. Sure 60fps is awesome, but it looks a bit rough.

Great game though (other than the upgrade room music. Please tell me this changes at some point lol)

Why can't they make a mode in 1080p30FPS like ROTTR with the max details?
The Quality mode doesn't have all graphical features.

Impressive stuff, especially from a smaller developer, shame some of the bigger developers don't put in the same effort with the Pro, good work Deck13.

nOoblet16

Why can't they make a mode in 1080p30FPS like ROTTR with the max details?
The Quality mode doesn't have all graphical features.
It has all the features, just lower quality ones for some of them. It's just shadowmaps, textures along with lower resolution buffer for volumetric lights (probably half res).

You most likely won't get higher resolution textures because the RAM amount remains the same, might get higher resolution shadowmaps and volumetrically but it will depend on how taxing their implementation is.

It has all the features, just lower quality ones for some of them. It's just shadowmaps, textures along with lower resolution buffer for volumetric lights (probably half res).

You most likely won't get higher resolution textures because the RAM amount remains the same, might get higher resolution shadowmaps and volumetrically but it will depend on how taxing their implementation is.

PS4 PRO has still extra 512MB VRAM that Tripwire used to enable highest texture resolution.
I don't think The Surge would need huge amount of memory to reach max textures.

nOoblet16

PS4 PRO has still extra 512MB VRAM that Tripwire used to enable highest texture resolution.
I don't think The Surge would need huge amount of memory to reach max textures.

The PC version is nearly 12.2GB (10.6GB of which are data files solely for the locations/levels) compared to the 5.6GB you have on consoles, that's more than 2x the size. So yea that 512MB of RAM isn't going to do anything to hit max texture resolution..

The PC version is nearly 12.2GB (10.6GB of which are data files solely for the locations/levels) compared to the 5.6GB you have on consoles, that's more than 2x the size. So yea that 512MB of RAM isn't going to do anything to hit max texture resolution..

There are many games which have PC version weighing much more while the games look very identical.
In fact many Xbox One games are even larger than their counterparts on PS4/PS4 PRO which look better sometimes..

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I guess this is the great Pro support game John (dark10x) meant in the Prey topic.

nOoblet16

There are many games which have PC version weighing much more while the games look very identical.
In fact many Xbox One games are even larger than their counterparts on PS4/PS4 PRO which look better sometimes..

But the difference is never this large in any of those cases.

In case of those PC games that weigh much more while looking very identical well that's the thing about max texture resolution it'll all look very identical but it's still higher resolution at the end of the day and if you want that then it'll cost memory otherwise you'll have to settle for something that looks close and costs a lot less memory....which is going to be the case here as well.

Capra

Possibly stupid question, but does anyone think it'd be possible for them to pull a Nioh and patch in a performance mode for PS4 Vanilla that targets 720p/60fps? The resolution dip never bothered me in that game and I don't think I'd risk playing The Surge at anything less than optimal framerate.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Very nice support here. Smaller devs have been doing a great job on Pro support lately.

Is this the first 30fps game with an actual 1080p60 mode on Pro?

Little Nightmares runs at 1620p/60 on the Pro and 1080/30 on the base. Massive improvement there.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I will be buying this title, thank you Deck 13.

I really hope other less resource constrained devs can mirror their efforts.

Top Bottom