• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 dead, 59 injured in Manchester Arena explosion (Being treated as an attack)

Evil. Intensely frightening that something like this could happen so close by. My thoughts to all the families involved.

Also disgusting Islamophobia gets us nowhere. It does nothing for the families involved. Get out.

My heart goes out to you England. This is just tragic. No one expects a cowardly act of terrorism when trying to have a fun evening with friends and loved ones.

Just makes me mad.

Hate to be "that" political guy, but how long into office did Trump say he would get rid of Isis?

Dilly

Banned
If this is a terror attack I wonder if it was the one suspected about a month ago where the US warned people traveling to Europe.

I wonder if they pick up any vague chatter among suspected actors about these attacks or if they are cautious on the anniversary of attacks which I think today was the anniversary of the solider that was killed in the streets in the UK.

From what I heard it sounded like another pressure cooker type homemade bomb like the ones used in the Boston attack so it sounds like the culprit could not have terrorist connections but that makes me feel even worse.

I feel terrible for the parents of the kids who died. Its not fair.
This is a terrible but inevitable event. Good police work and public vigilance may stop some of these attacks, but nothing can stop them all. Its too late for that.

Hex

Banned
My heart goes out to you England. This is just tragic. No one expects a cowardly act of terrorism when trying to have a fun evening with friends and loved ones.

Just makes me mad.

Hate to be "that" political guy, but how long into office did Trump say he would get rid of Isis?

I was not going to bring politics in here at all, but (and please I do not mean to sound like conspiracy man at all) all I can see in my mind behind the rage that someone could do this to young people who have no part to play in their "mission" is that unless Trump completely botches this will ride this out for a while and am wondering what effect it will have when we were getting so close.

(And like I said, no conspiracy stuff intended and no politics so if anyone at all is offended and wants this deleted say so)

Fercho

This is why I don't read these threads on GAF. Ignorant and tasteless posts like that.

At a time we should be pulling together, there are always people who want to pull people apart.

And nothing gets done about it (mods...)

Cowards also. As I said , that opinion about Islam not being compatible with the west is a very popular and used argument among the alt-right community. They just wait for the right moment to drive by, but you never sees them defending their views in other threads tearing apart their shitty views.

One of the ladies I work with had two daughters there, luckily they are both ok and have now made it home but seeing her panicking asking anyone for help from anyone on Facebook to try and get contact with them and not knowing what to do as she couldn't get hold of them was really heartbreaking.

WiseguyMVP

The Times Square incident, which a friend of mine, her daughter and niece witnessed firsthand, and now this heinous act. Seriously freakin tragic events lately.

Thoughts and prayers to all of the victims, families and Manchester community.

And to those that were sarcastic about Ariana Grande being OK. Seriously not cool. Imagine how she must feel. These were people who enjoyed her music and gave here the honor and privilege to perform for them. She must be beside herself. Pray for her.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
So much evil in this world. How could you even prevent something like this? Fucking tragic. Sick to my stomach over this. My thoughts are with the people of Manchester tonight. I am so sorry :(

Dervius

Just saw this on my way to work, my closest friend and his daughter went to this gig last night. No word from them yet.

Jesus.

Hopefully they're alright, may just be caught up in the madness and struggling to get contact out to people. From the stories and few videos that have been shown it was just chaos immediately afterward.

I wonder how many of these the Aussies respected also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_in_May_2017

I hate our government however it's absolutely not surprising that Australia, and ex British colony, with a large amount of the population having former or current family ties to the UK and a large connectoin in work, business, travel and most importantly culture, would feel for this. It's a lot more scary to see an attack somewhere which is much like their home.

On another note why does this come up every time that an attack comes up in the west? Like is there actually some enraged group of Muslims living in Iraq or Libya who care about what white American celebrities or Australian policiticians are saying about their car bombing?

We have known for quite a while now that suicide attacks are politically motivated responses to military action. In like 95% of the cases.

The book from which this number comes is more then 10 years old, thousands of random people have been blown up by suicide bombers for being not sunni enough since then.

Of the 315 separate suicide terrorist attacks between 1980 and 2003, 301, or 95 percent, were parts of organized, coherent campaigns

We're currently at hundreds of suicide attacks per year.

Of course you can claim the suicide attacks are caused by military resistance to sunni extremists trying to take power. If no one resisted no suicide attacks would be needed, you'd just be marched off to a ditch.

Skyzard

Banned
It's not random. Australia is a former British colony and to this day is still a Commonwealth realm.

I didn't say it was random, just that they are quite picky about who they show respect to and I don't buy them being a former British colony as good justification for the selectivity.

I remember Je Suis Charlie was very popular in Australia too. Is France commonwealth too?

I'm not trying to pick on Australia in particular, this happens around the world in western countries. Lots of shows of unity and remembrance and respect if it happens in another country with white people. Everyone else around the globe, who cares, carry on.

It's really quite strange and doesn't show integrity at all and also helps perpetuate this myth that only western countries are victims of terrorist attacks.

The book from which this number comes is more then 10 years old, thousands of random people have been blown up by suicide bombers for being not sunni enough since then.

We're currently at hundreds of suicide attacks per year.

Aren't 100% of terrorist attacks politically motivated? I mean isn't it being political a characteristic for something to be terrorism.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I didn't say it was random, just that they are quite picky about who they show respect to and I don't buy them being a former British colony as good justification for the selectivity.

...and a current realm of the Commonwealth. Not to be condescending, but I'm sure you can understand how historical and current ties AU shares with the UK may have been a contributing factor.

I remember Je Suis Charlie was very popular in Australia too. Is France commonwealth too?

No.

Only feel depressed this morning hearing about yet another attack targeting young people at a concert. There should be something worse than death for these fuckers who carries out these heinous attacks, like lifetime diarrhea or worse.

As a regular concert goer i have nothing but sympathies.

Moosichu

Rest in peace to the people who died in the blast. This is truly awful. I don't think I will ever understand the mindset that enables someone to do this. Hopefully we will find unity.

Aren't 100% of terrorist attacks politically motivated? I mean isn't it being political a characteristic for something to be terrorism.

Very few political ideologies can convince people to kill themselves to kill a bunch of teenagers at an Ariane Grande concert. You need religion for that.

And before the comparisons come in, this is not like kamikazes who used suicide attacks against enemy warships. Also the comparisons to the Tamil LTTE don't work as they did not call for or carried out attacks on random civilians in foreign countries.

Really such fucking pathetic responses in here already and we don't know much of anything as of yet.

I mentioned it could be a domestic terrorist if it was a placed pressure cooker loaded with shrapnel, so it could not have terrorist connections.

However the BBC is speculating it could be a suicide bomber, with a weapon loaded with shrapnel, so I'm doubting its not a terrorist attack if it was a suicide bomber.

Edit: BBC just said the attacker died with the explosion so it was 99 percent a terrorist attack.

KonradLaw

Just plain horrible.

And sadly a common reality for Europe these days, at least western one. I live in Poland, Ariana Grande is supposed to have concert in my city in few days. Makes me realize not having to worry about terror attack is luxury that we rarely apprecieate here.

Razmos

Fucking hell it's unreal. I use that station twice a day. It's so scary to think something like this can happen so close to home.

I work in Manchester and have to find a way there today since the trams and trains aren't running through the station for obvious reasons.

It's a bit scary to think of heading there today

Seda

Just noting that several posts were deleted due to a derail.

Please be civil and considerate and try not to jump to conclusions, thank you.

Top Bottom