• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Warriors: Spirit Of Sanada's PC version runs like hot ass

People on Steam, including myself, aren't too pleased with the performance. Weird FPS drops, unstable when you dick around in town and super terrible while in battle, and don't get me started about asking me to go in WIn 7 compat mode to play the game - that's just silly. Even when I run it normally, it's still painful.

Another bad PC port. KT please fix. Until then, I'll just cop a PS4 disc and play it there.

It's a shame because this game has a bunch of cool things in it that really spice up the Musou formula. There are various minigames to earn materials now, upgrading is more simplified, strategies/tactics/powerups you can use in battle, pay gold to level up characters (which I don't think was in SW4 but I could be wrong), and a reason for doing side missions. Plus you can level up weapons by using them, which I'm all for in any game. It kinda has an injection of RPGism in it that I hope future games get.

Both SW4 and Toku 2 didn't run THIS bad. They had problems, but I don't remember them being performance related.

Everything, including my CPU usage, is low as heck. Same thing goes for other people playing it too.

Just what I thought. It seems they have troubles with low GPU usage. Try to play in Big Picture mode or open a Youtube video (paused) and see if it fix your GPU usage ?

Can you try running a youtube video in your browser in the background? Just have it paused and see if it increases your gpu usage or frames?

catmincer

The PC version of Dynasty Warriors 8 was terrible. The controls when configured would reset when I relaunched the game and the default ones made no sense on an Xbox 360 or Xbox one controller.

Zafir

Koei Tecmo, always finding new ways to fuck up PC ports.

Shame really, I was interested in buying it but just couldn't justify it for the moment while I've got Fire Emblem and Injustice 2 to play.

s_mirage

Just playing devil's advocate here, but if the problem is low GPU usage isn't the issue at least as related to drivers as it is the game? I say this as since upgrading for a 780ti to a 1080, I've noticed that the 1080 doesn't handle low performance states as elegantly as the 780ti: I have to use the force maximum performance driver setting in quite a few games to avoid stuttering as the card throttles up and down.

I was really close to pulling the trigger on this one once it popped up in my Steam notifications. Bullet dodged, thanks OP. You shouldn't wait for a fix, refund immediately and re-buy if and when they fix it.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Samurai Warriors 4-2 ran great actually. I say that with a crappy PC that was still able to run the game at max with a 16:10 resolution.

It's sad that that seems to be an exception.

Berserk's ok as well isn't it ? I want to get that one eventually.

Zafir

Samurai Warriors 4-2 ran great actually. I say that with a crappy PC that was still able to run the game at max with a 16:10 resolution.

It's sad that that seems to be an exception.

Samurai Warriors 4-2 wasn't a 'good' port. It didn't support arbitrary resolutions, you probably got lucky with the 16:10 resolution, I know they sometimes add one or two resolutions of that aspect ratio. It offered about 6 or 7 different resolutions and you're fat out of luck if your monitor isn't one of them.

I dunno if they finally added arbitrary resolution support in SoS. They're really hit and miss with it. DQH2 apparently supports it, the atelier games do, and the Berserk game did. Toukiden 2 bizarrely didn't though, despite coming out after a few of the a fore mentioned games.
Berserk's ok as well isn't it ? I want to get that one eventually.
It was mostly a good port, but there was some performance issues. If you've got a fairly new card you'll be fine, but older ones might struggle to hit 60FPS just because it isn't amazingly optimised.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
It was mostly a good port, but there was some performance issues. If you've got a fairly new card you'll be fine, but older ones might struggle to hit 60FPS just because it isn't amazingly optimised.

Thanks, I've got a 970 so I'm guessing maybe not for constant 60fps, but I'll be lookin to upgrade in the next 6 months - 1 year anyway.

Are any of Koei Tecmo's PC ports good?

Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book, (after latest patch) Nights of Azure and Toukiden 2 working so well for me as performance. They are still have some problems about graphics (not directly PS4 version from some part thing) but not so big.

Koei Tecmo are pretty bad at porting to the PC. I hope it gets resolved for you PC players. I have bought the PS4 version but have not booted it up yet.

Mephala

Wasn't Toukiden 2 okay ? Heard it has 60 FPS gameplay.

Been meaning to jump in on this as the game does look good.

From my understanding, it is 60fps but it has some pretty poor textures. The game is also buggy and a number of people can't even load into the game for unknown reasons but those that do get to play it seem to love it with only the occasional crash. I still don't consider it a good port from all that I have read, perhaps a little better than normal but it just feels like minimal effort.

Tagyhag

It's weird, you think they learn (DW 8 Empires and Toukiden 2 run well for me) but then they randomly have another bad port.

Zafir

Been meaning to jump in on this as the game does look good.

From my understanding, it is 60fps but it has some pretty poor textures. The game is also buggy and a number of people can't even load into the game for unknown reasons but those that do get to play it seem to love it with only the occasional crash. I still don't consider it a good port from all that I have read, perhaps a little better than normal but it just feels like minimal effort.

Also doesn't support arbitrary resolutions, for anyone with a non-standard resolution or a 1440p/4k monitor.

Momentary

Banned
Atelier Sophie and Nights of Azure are probably the most decent KT ports out there

Everything else is garbage. Dragon Quest Heroes 2 is wonky. You literally have to run a video behind the game to have it use your GPU's power. But even then you walk into certain dungeons and the frame rate tanks to around 20FPS for no apparent reason. Then you exit the dungeon and the game continues to run like ass.Games like Atelier Firis, One Piece Pirate Warrior, and Dead or Alive use downgraded assets. Even Sophie uses 2D assets from older systems.

Also, most of the games are WAY too damn demanding for how they look.Berserk on a Titan Xp cannot hit 60FPS. It runs around 40FPS. Even at 1440p you have to turn environmental detail down to be able to run it at 60.

Anyone who defends KT games on PC usually don't have standards when it comes to performance or are too far up Koei Tecmo's ass to talk bad about them... or both.They produce some of the worst ports on the platform, but catch no flack like they should. Look at Vanquish. Runs great with a few quirks here and there and people are raining fire and brimstone... Even with Little Stone Software talking to the community and pushing out performance/game updates quickly. But this shit company gets a pass with their fanbase bloating scores on STEAM in their favor.

THEY ONLY time KT updates their games is to shovel stupid fucking DLC onto their games. They did ONE damn update to Sophie to fix CPU issues that could have been detrimental to people's hardware. Other than that they have never fixed performance/graphical issues with ANY of their games.

One Piece Pirate Warriors graphical options still don't work. Hell most of their games have graphical options that are there just for show. ALL of their games have controller issues They don't do a damn thing about any of it. And you know what, I don't even blame Omega Force. Koei Tecmo have that development team under a bull whip. They are K-T's sweat shop. They are literally pumping out games in assembly line fashion and have no time to go back and fix their games. They don't have a dedicated team for post release support. The keep them there pumping out the same fucking game 20 different ways using the same assets and the same shitty engine.

Fuck their ports. I'm so happy I refunded Firis and DQHII. I'll buy that game when it's under 30 bucks. It's not like I don't try to support them, but every time I get a crap product from them I refund it and wait for 50% off or more sale.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Weird that this turned out badly. Samurai Warriors 4-II was a pretty good PC port.

cwistofu

From Koei's FB account about 3 hours ago:

The team are aware of the issues on the PC version and are working on a fix. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Fingers crossed.

Top Bottom