• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

women increasingly buying expensive luxury goods in cash

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnw

Banned
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/14/fashion/14CASH.html

"Though this is 2007, not 1957, the age-old practice of women disguising personal indulgences by paying in cash persists even though the majority of women today earn a salary and, in an affluent age, families have more disposable income.

Women cite a variety of reasons. Some, like Ms. Azizian, hope to head off an argument with a penny-pinching husband or boyfriend. Others feel guilty spending lavishly on themselves, and so they prefer to pay with cash, which is more easily forgotten than a monthly reckoning. A handful say they simply feel a sense of freedom from pulling the wool over their husbands’ eyes."

Don't understand this trend at all. Wouldn't you be able to see the withdrawl on a checking account statement?

And aren't luxury goods the target of theives? What's your recourse if it gets stolen? At least if you pay with a credit card you can ostensibly get a new one at least. With cash, you're SOL.

emomoonbase

I'm free 2night after my LARPing guild meets.
tnw said:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/14/fashion/14CASH.html

"Though this is 2007, not 1957, the age-old practice of women disguising personal indulgences by paying in cash persists even though the majority of women today earn a salary and, in an affluent age, families have more disposable income.

Women cite a variety of reasons. Some, like Ms. Azizian, hope to head off an argument with a penny-pinching husband or boyfriend. Others feel guilty spending lavishly on themselves, and so they prefer to pay with cash, which is more easily forgotten than a monthly reckoning. A handful say they simply feel a sense of freedom from pulling the wool over their husbands’ eyes."

Don't understand this trend at all. Wouldn't you be able to see the withdrawl on a checking account statement?

And aren't luxury goods the target of theives? What's your recourse if it gets stolen? At least if you pay with a credit card you can ostensibly get a new one at least. With cash, you're SOL.

When buying crap like $2000 hand bags logic is the least of their worries.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This article should really be about people of both genders wasting money on ridiculous shit. There's a point where the article really needs to come out and say, "hey, maybe you should feel guilty for putting down two grand on a freakin' bag!"

tnw

Banned
enh, in a different online forum, someone would be saying someething about wasting money on $2000 flat screen HD televisions. Another forum would be talking about wasting $2000 on a unnecessary trip to Tibet.

people just buying in to different things. At least the person buying a flat screen TV would most likely buy it with a credit card so if it got stolen it could ostensibly be replaced. It just seems so rediculous to pay for something so expensive and vulnerable to theft in cash so it *can't* leave a paper trail. It's like an petty theif's dream come true.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
A $2000 purse has no added functionality over a $100 one. I don't think the same generally applies for televisions.

tnw

Banned
one could argue that it's added value is social. Someone who values luxury goods might also say that a $2000 purse is physically of higher quality (stitching, materials used) by more experienced laborers, etc., which might be equated to the increase of quality to HD flat panel vs a regular cathode ray tube television.

I'm not making the arguement, I'm just saying. And in any case, one would most likely buy the television/trip to tibet with a credit card to guard against theft.

Christ I feel nervous carrying a $100 bill when I walk around in the US, Imagine carrying $2000 worth.... yikes.

Dan said:
This article should really be about people of both genders wasting money on ridiculous shit. There's a point where the article really needs to come out and say, "hey, maybe you should feel guilty for putting down two grand on a freakin' bag!"

What about a phone lol

tnw

Banned
sure, I could create a case against that (environmentalists would accuse of the extreme pollution of Jet travel, human and environmental exploitve qualites of the tourism industry, etc.),

But that's not my point. You can spend your money whatever way you want. Just puchrasing something that theives steal all the time and intentionally *not* wanting a paper trail is just stupid.

It's pretty difficult to steal a trip to Buenos Aires even if you do pay in cash.

Jake.

what's the difference between a $2000 gucci bag and a $2000 tv. sure, one might be arguably more practical but both are luxury items. who cares.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Jake XXX said:
what's the difference between a $2000 gucci bag and a $2000 tv. sure, one might be arguably more practical but both are luxury items. who cares.

Well, I could be bias but such an expensive TV usually comes with features that warrant the price (when looking at the pricing and comparing it to TV below its price range).

A $2000 bag is just a bag thats getting a markup purely due to the brand. Its the samething with branding of all shit in general, woman just eat this shit up. It has not defining function that differentiates itself...its just a really expensive bag that will end up holding a cellphone and other various shit.

Jake.

BlueTsunami said:
Well, I could be bias but such an expensive TV usually comes with features that warrant the price (when looking at the pricing and comparing it to TV below its price range).

A $2000 bag is just a bag thats getting a markup purely due to the brand. Its the samething with branding of all shit in general, woman just eat this shit up. It has not defining function that differentiates itself...its just a really expensive bag that will end up holding a cellphone and other various shit.

as you said though, you're biased. to alot of people (including me) i don't see value in a $2000 tv but alot of people do. there's nothing wrong with that though. i don't see value in a handbag either but if you can afford to spend $2000 on a gucci bag and it will make you happy, why not?

also, a tv made by sony will sell for alot more than a no name brand like telefunken or something. sure, alot of the reason is because its better 'quality' but you are also paying for the brand name.

just as there are tech snobs who go on and on about HD and all that bullshit, there are people into fashion and designer labels. both are expensive and both fall under luxury items.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Jake XXX said:
as you said though, you're biased. to alot of people (including me) i don't see value in a $2000 tv but alot of people do. there's nothing wrong with that though. i don't see value in a handbag either but if you can afford to spend $2000 on a gucci bag and it will make you happy, why not?

also, a tv made by sony will sell for alot more than a no name brand like telefunken or something. sure, alot of the reason is because its better 'quality' but you are also paying for the brand name.

just as there are tech snobs who go on and on about HD and all that bullshit, there are people into fashion and designer labels. both are expensive and both fall under luxury items.

I agree about the perception and its about whatever makes you happy.

I don't know though, I mean, in an electronic like the iPhone for example, your getting all these functions in the device (Cell, MP3, Video etc). The markup isn't purely due to the Apple name (a good amount probably is but considering what it provides in terms of functionality...its awesome).

So I say there is a difference. Your definitely would be getting more out of an iPhone in terms of functions than a $2000 Gucci bag that sparkles.

Jake.

BlueTsunami said:
I agree about the perception and its about whatever makes you happy.

I don't know though, I mean, in an electronic like the iPhone for example, your getting all these functions in the device (Cell, MP3, Video etc). The markup isn't purely due to the Apple name (a good amount probably is but considering what it provides in terms of functionality...its awesome).

So I say there is a difference. Your definitely would be getting more out of an iPhone in terms of functions than a $2000 Gucci bag that sparkles.

i agree but saying that after you buy the iphone it will be out of date within a year at the most (generally) and be replaced with an upgraded/more up to date version. a gucci bag (and any other bag for that matter) generally doesn't go out of style and you could use the same one for ten years or so (obviously most people who buy gucci wouldn't have it for that long but whatever). i don't even know where i'm going with this anymore haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom