• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everspace |OT| You got some roguelite in my Freespace

2cdpsk6.gif

$29.99 (Steam/Humble/GOG/Xbox One)
https://everspace-game.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItPzK4dzVKU

EVERSPACE™ is an action-focused single-player space shooter, combining roguelike elements with top-notch visuals and a captivating story. It takes you on a challenging journey through an ever-changing, beautifully crafted universe full of surprises. Your skills, experience, and talent for improvisation will be tested continuously as you piece together the puzzle of your existence through encounters with interesting characters, each having their own unique part of the story to tell. In each exciting run, you will face entirely new situations, ensuring countless hours of thrilling gameplay and generating myriad opportunities for individual, meaningful moments to experience.

- Dash into intense dogfights and experience furious space combat using a wide range of weaponry and devices.
- Collect and mine valuable resources to either repair your ship's systems or to craft new equipment and modifications for a much-needed advantage. Your choice.
- Find blueprints for crafting, and hunt for exotic weaponry and equipment. You never know what will drop next.
- Travel through vast, procedurally-generated levels with untold numbers of hidden dangers and treasures. A game of risk and reward awaits.
- With the tools provided, it is up to you to make the best of your situation. Utilize every advantage and be creative to turn the odds in your favor. Every mistake could be your last.

0xUl7Ye.gif

Tagyhag

I've been waiting for it to come out of early access before getting it, so I was pleasantly surprised to see it was such a short EA period.

Game is awesome, I love roguelites and the game does the formula very well.

I find myself playing it more in first person, much easier to see everything.

Also,
black holes are absolutely terrifying. First time you get sucked into one when you get baited by that precious dark matter is something else.

Dlent

Wow, this looks gorgeous.

I also thought this was an OT for an entirely different game from my childhood for a second.

Evergrace_Coverart.png

(answered my own question)

Quite enjoyed it at first; structurally reminded me of Rogue Legacy. Some quirks though, looking forward to trying again when I have a PC. Surprisingly playable without a joystick, too

Jackpot

Banned
Only played 30 minutes. Undecided. It's certainly easier than the EA version, but rather thin on content and heavy on grinding resources.

Also enemy AI is not conducive for dogfighting at all. Most of the time they get in as close as possible or they constantly orbit you so you end up reversing or strafing respectively in order to hit them.

Atomski

I am enjoying it so far. I started out playing with a controller and was having a lot of issues with accuracy. Switched to mouse and keyboard and wow feels so much better.. drones feel like nothing now.

I remember playing that Game Preview version and constantly got my ass handed to me. And knowing that there was a timer wasn't exactly great either. I don't like being rushed. I remain interested in this though.

Tagyhag

I remember playing that Game Preview version and constantly got my ass handed to me. And knowing that there was a timer wasn't exactly great either. I don't like being rushed. I remain interested in this though.

I'm curious if they did anything for the console release to make it easier. I feel like you miss out on a lot of speed and precision without the mouse and they even say in-game "Hey you really should just stick to mouse and keyboard" lol.

I'm curious if they did anything for the console release to make it easier. I feel like you miss out on a lot of speed and precision without the mouse and they even say in-game "Hey you really should just stick to mouse and keyboard" lol.

Well keyboard and mouse support is coming to Xbox if I recall correctly. :)

danowat

Banned

I don't know what they've done, but the controls certainly feel better on the XBO version.

heringer

Only played 30 minutes. Undecided. It's certainly easier than the EA version, but rather thin on content and heavy on grinding resources.

Also enemy AI is not conducive for dogfighting at all. Most of the time they get in as close as possible or they constantly orbit you so you end up reversing or strafing respectively in order to hit them.

Same, though I playeyd for 2 hours. The core gameplay is excellent, I just don't like the structure. After 2 hours, I don't feel the perks give me a satisfying sense of progress and accomplishment. Hopefully they take what i works and make a full fledge Freelancer style RPG.

How are the joystick controls? It's weird to read about a space sim where everyone's using the mouse and keyboard or controllers to fly.

Tagyhag

How are the joystick controls? It's weird to read about a space sim where everyone's using the mouse and keyboard or controllers to fly.

I haven't tried my joystick yet but the game is definitely not a space sim. It's incredibly arcade-y so the mouse makes a ton of sense considering how fast and tight you move and turn.

Buggy Loop

Meh, the dogfights are still like that?

Bought on EA. Quickly lost interest. Every goddamn dogfights become a turret sim. Space battles, although unrealistic, are way more fun in a WW1 type of dogfight, ala Star Wars for example.

Diman

Is there anyone who has played this game and wants to share his experience?
I'm very curious what fellow gaffers think about this game.

ys45

Is there anyone who has played this game and wants to share his experience?
I'm very curious what fellow gaffers think about this game.

Got the game last Friday .

Controls are pretty solid when using KB+mouse it really feels like playing Descent (6DOF)
The graphics are awesome and run very well without any slow down on my Geforce 970.

As for the gameplay, I guess I can say it's the same formula as Rogue Legacy or the more recent Dead Cell except it's a space game (for the rogue lite part) .

You go from sector to other sectors and each time it is randomly generated,you have old ship wreckage, station where you can trade/repair rogue base and other point of interest like that .

you will die a lot at first but you get 3 difficulties to choose from easy/normal/hard.you keep your money when you die and buy upgrades that are permanent.

The game has a story which seems ok (for this kind of game it's okay I guess).So overall it's a very good rogue-lite space game with excellent controls and I hope they will expand the game a bit more though (only 3 different ships total, unless I'm mistaken) and going on planets could be awesome too.

Naarmight

The game is hard, I had to switch down to easy, which feels a bit too easy, just to grind the cash to upgrade the ship. Not sure I want to turn it back up yet despite upgrading a great deal. That said I still have not finished it yet, so will keep at it, but I am not sure it will have the replay-ability of other roguelite's

The game is hard, I had to switch down to easy, which feels a bit too easy, just to grind the cash to upgrade the ship. Not sure I want to turn it back up yet despite upgrading a great deal. That said I still have not finished it yet, so will keep at it, but I am not sure it will have the replay-ability of other roguelite's

This was weird to me. I played on normal for a good while. Turned down to easy and I was making money hand over fist. Feel like they have the risk versus reward completely wrong.

The other thing was that in all my normal games there weren't really much beyond the basic stuff going on. In my easy game I got missions and stuff right off the bat. Was that me just being lucky, or are events more rare in higher difficulties? Because that seems like a very backwards way to do things.

In any case, I do enjoy this game. It seems to scratch the exact same itch that Rogue Legacy did with it's upgrading system.

Baalzebup

I did about 20 runs into the beta / EA and I'm now on round 30 or so. Still having a blast, though I'm kind of hesitant to jump to the other ships since I've basically played the interceptor so much. Overall, I've found the game a bit harder on normal than it was when I last played, though I'm not sure how to quantify what makes it so. I definitely miss the Front Shield device which is now Gunship exclusive.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Just picked this one up on Xbox one.

I'm surprised it's a play anywhere title and it's pretty damn good.

Not sure why this game isn't getting more attention.

Coreda

This game is hard as hell. I made it to sector 4 on normal and I don't even know how I died.

I remember when I first arrived at sector 3 while in EA and was capturing some video of the scenery before moments later being lasered by a group of drones out of nowhere. Makes it hard to take screenshots sometimes :p

drotahorror

I remember when I first arrived at sector 3 while in EA and was capturing some video of the scenery before moments later being lasered by a group of drones out of nowhere. Makes it hard to take screenshots sometimes :p

Don't forget you can press Z (atleast it is for me, I may have changed it) to freeze the game and sort of have a photo mode.

Baalzebup

I detest link drones spawning inside the asteroids. "Oh, whats that? You wanted to leave the sector? Too bad, I put a Jump Inhibitor to a ship with shields that only go down if you destroy this drone which happens to be inside an impervious space-rock."

I had the piece of tech to counter it, but those Dark Energy and Dark Matter resources had other intended uses!!!!!!

Skelter

Banned
So, found this gem while looking at a discovery queue. Currently on sale for $23. What does GAF think of this game? Should I get it?

Nohar

Well, I was expecting this thread to have more replies.

Anyhow, I decided to buy this game on a whim, I'll share my impressions later.

Well, I was expecting this thread to have more replies.

Anyhow, I decided to buy this game on a whim, I'll share my impressions later.

I'm interested in the game, I'd love to hear some up to date impressions. My main worry is about the amount of content available and if it is enough to sustain long-term play.

Nohar

Well, so far I can say I am terribly bad at playing this game (using a PS4 Controller btw). I'm slowly getting better, but every encounter with more than 2 enemies quickly turn into a slaughter (with me being slaughtered). You can begin a new playthrough and immediatly get ambushed by several ships (it doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen).
Basically, it feels a little like a Souls game: Prepare to die. The game is very unforgiving.

Ressources are scarce at the beginning, and you really want to gather as much credits as possible in order to improve the junk that is your ship (credits can be spent between each death to permanently unlock bonuses and ship improvements - and, yes, there is a grindy aspect to that).

A nice little thing that can also turn into your worst nightmare: if you take a little too much damages, your ship's modules have a chance to break, and you really, really don't want that. I can deal with losing my inertia stabilisator (it makes navigation inside asteroids a little risky, but still, doable). Losing my scanning device, however? Oh boy. That being said, visual effects when that occur are quite funny. You can repair modules whenever you want, but for that you need materials, materials that you may not have with you at the moment. I removed the auto-roll, and I am learning to not fly straight into asteroids (or other ships, for that matter - turns out rushing into an enemy ship at full speed destroys yours, who would have thought that possible? /nervous laugh).

I guess I should try to play mouse + keyboard, as the accuracy when playing with a controller is not so great. I would need to remap everything though, as it is set for QWERTY keyboard by default, not AZERTY ones.

Purkake4

Banned
It's kind of a mashup of Descent and a space sim, it's important to use cover and take on a few enemies at a time. The missiles are pretty much the get out of jail free card.

It's not really that hard (with mouse and keyboard at least) until you get to the damn drone carrier ships, they suck.

Also play on easy to unlock some stuff, medium is pretty hard.

Duffk1ng

I'm interested in the game, I'd love to hear some up to date impressions. My main worry is about the amount of content available and if it is enough to sustain long-term play.

If my Early Access experience is anything to go by (this is before they added the third ship), it'll take quite a lot of runs before you're able to put a winning one together. Took me 16 hours of gameplay. And I think I beat the game a little quicker than most. Since then they've added another ship and more difficulties (or maybe they'd just added them) and probably loads more stuff. Need to get back into it.

Worth it, IMO.

4M9Up5x.png

Nohar

Well, there is no mistake: the game is better played with keyboard + mouse, period. Playing with the controller was a huge mistake. It is a much more enjoyable experience now.

Dr. A

Well, there is no mistake: the game is better played with keyboard + mouse, period. Playing with the controller was a huge mistake. It is a much more enjoyable experience now.

Oh really? Well that clinches it for me.

I've been wondering if I should get this for the PC or wait for a possible PS4 release in the future.

Nohar

Oh really? Well that clinches it for me.

I've been wondering if I should get this for the PC or wait for a possible PS4 release in the future.

Considering the facts that I've been dying countless times and that I was simply unable to survive fights against more than 2 enemies before when I was playing with the controller (not to mention I rarely went beyond Sector 1), problems which simply vanished once I switched to keyboard + mouse, I really advise against playing with a controller. When it comes to aiming or simply moving around your ship, keyboard + mouse makes the experience much more easier, and thus enjoyable.

When you are attacked by fragile but dangerous drones that you need to snipe ASAP before moving on to other threats, you need to be able to aim quickly and easily. You may also want to still shoot at your opponent while moving around an asteroid to get cover with the boost engine activated. That wasn't possible with a PS4 controller.

A few advices for anyone trying out this game:
  • I made this adamantly clear, but just to make sure everyone read it: play with keyboard and mouse, don't play with a controller.
  • Nanobots are your friends: you need these to repair your ship, be it the hull or your modules.
  • Outlaw ships are small prey. Okkar ships are not, especially at the beginning: Okkar are tougher than Outlaws, and it is advised to burn a missile once you deplete their shields to take them off quickly (especially if you are fighting against 3 of those: don't take any risks, just use your missiles).
  • Explore each new jumping point to the max: you will find new weapons and ressources necessary to improve or repair your ship (not to mention crafting plans).
  • If you see the red alert announcing the Okkar fleet is coming: get out, quickly. At best you will survive barely, at worst you will die, period.
  • If there is a communication center nearby, try to do that first, as it will reveal every loot available in the area. Careful though: enemy ships will spawn out of nowhere, and there are turrets waiting for you.
  • You will die. It is normal. Credits earned during a trip can be spent to improve your pilot skills and your ship. Spend them all between each death, the game will get progressively easier.
  • Careful with your Energy. If you run out of it during a fight, you will be a sitting duck, as you won't be able to boost your engines or use your weapons effectively. So don't rush in fights: close the distance if you are far away, stop mid-way to let your energy recharge, and then engage the enemy.

Freeman76

Considering the facts that I've been dying countless times and that I was simply unable to survive fights against more than 2 enemies before when I was playing with the controller (not to mention I rarely went beyond Sector 1), problems which simply vanished once I switched to keyboard + mouse, I really advise against playing with a controller. When it comes to aiming or simply moving around your ship, keyboard + mouse makes the experience much more easier, and thus enjoyable.

When you are attacked by fragile but dangerous drones that you need to snipe ASAP before moving on to other threats, you need to be able to aim quickly and easily. You may also want to still shoot at your opponent while moving around an asteroid to get cover with the boost engine activated. That wasn't possible with a PS4 controller.

• I made this adamantly clear, but just to make sure everyone read it: play with keyboard and mouse, don't play with a controller.
  • Nanobots are your friends: you need these to repair your ship, be it the hull or your modules.
  • Outlaw ships are small prey. Okkar ships are not, especially at the beginning: Okkar are tougher than Outlaws, and it is advised to burn a missile once you deplete their shields to take them off quickly (especially if you are fighting against 3 of those: don't take any risks, just use your missiles).
  • Explore each new jumping point to the max: you will find new weapons and ressources necessary to improve or repair your ship (not to mention crafting plans).
  • If you see the red alert announcing the Okkar fleet is coming: get out, quickly. At best you will survive barely, at worst you will die, period.
  • If there is a communication center nearby, try to do that first, as it will reveal every loot available in the area. Careful though: enemy ships will spawn out of nowhere, and there are turrets waiting for you.
  • You will die. It is normal. Credits earned during a trip can be spent to improve your pilot skills and your ship. Spend them all between each death, the game will get progressively easier.
  • Careful with your Energy. If you run out of it during a fight, you will be a sitting duck, as you won't be able to boost your engines or use your weapons effectively. So don't rush in fights: close the distance if you are far away, stop mid-way to let your energy recharge, and then engage the enemy.

You are probably just better versed with M+K

Im much better at this game with a controller than I am on M+K

Dr. A

Thanks for the advice! I've put the game on my Steam wishlist and will snap it up when it's on sale.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I wish this had a demo. I don't feel like 2 hours (Steam refund policy) would be enough for me to really gauge the game.

Nohar

I'm having fun, but I have a few complaints:
  • The game is quite hard, even on Normal. Oddly enough, it seems that playing on Hard may be easier, as you get Nanobots more often, more credits, better loot sooner (or maybe I'm just that lucky), and you can find blueprints necessary to upgrade your ship way more often.
  • Considering the key upgrades you only get after dying and spending your credits a couple times, dying is necessary to progress. You may consider this a good or a bad thing. In any case, you desperatly need energy if you want to be able to use better weapons and use your boost engine in a fight, and the only ways to improve it are through "leveling-up" your ship after a death, or through secondary modules that you need to loot or craft and add them to your ship (and, since you only have 2 slots for such modules available at the start, and since you can't get more unless you die and spend credits, well...).
  • Some enemy ships are way tougher than they should be, especially when you encounter those too soon (like the Pirate Drone Carrier: invincible as long as a single one of his drone is alive, then the invulnerability field drops for, like, 5 seconds, before 6 new drones pop and the ship is invulnerable again; repeat ad nauseum). It wouldn't be a problem if those ships didn't bring with them a jammer, preventing you to jump out. Either you manage to destroy them (with limited equipment), either you are boned once the Okkar fleet arrives. In general, bigger ships using drones are a nightmare, as they have an infinite supply of them. Getting through the thick shield and hull of an Okkar Corvet while snipping the drones regenerating its shield and avoiding the numerous lazer shots aimed at you is a nightmare (and if you need to hide to regenerate your shield, well, your enemy's shield will be back to full in no time too). You better pray you have some heavy missiles or the ARC-9000 in your inventory to speed things up (on top of having a better weapon than the starting equipment).
  • Enemy diversity: I didn't go beyond sector 5, but you don't have many enemies. It's either outlaw, either Okkar, and more often than not it will be the exact same ships, except in upgraded versions (ie. Mk2, Mk3, etc). Well, I guess you can count G&B too, if you piss them off.
  • Inevitably, you will notice that there aren't that much random events and places. It will always be the exact same stations, with the exact same asteroids, the exact same ship wrecks, etc. It is normal to feel that way in a rogue game, but a little more diversity wouldn't have hurt.

Purkake4

Banned
I'm having fun, but I have a few complaints:
  • The game is quite hard, even on Normal. Oddly enough, it seems that playing on Hard may be easier, as you get Nanobots more often, more credits, better loot sooner (or maybe I'm just that lucky), and you can find blueprints necessary to upgrade your ship way more often.
  • Considering the key upgrades you only get after dying and spending your credits a couple times, dying is necessary to progress. You may consider this a good or a bad thing. In any case, you desperatly need energy if you want to be able to use better weapons and use your boost engine in a fight, and the only ways to improve it are through "leveling-up" your ship after a death, or through secondary modules that you need to loot or craft and add them to your ship (and, since you only have 2 slots for such modules available at the start, and since you can't get more unless you die and spend credits, well...).
  • Some enemy ships are way tougher than they should be, especially when you encounter those too soon (like the Pirate Drone Carrier: invincible as long as a single one of his drone is alive, then the invulnerability field drops for, like, 5 seconds, before 6 new drones pop and the ship is invulnerable again; repeat ad nauseum). It wouldn't be a problem if those ships didn't bring with them a jammer, preventing you to jump out. Either you manage to destroy them (with limited equipment), either you are boned once the Okkar fleet arrives. In general, bigger ships using drones are a nightmare, as they have an infinite supply of them. Getting through the thick shield and hull of an Okkar Corvet while snipping the drones regenerating its shield and avoiding the numerous lazer shots aimed at you is a nightmare (and if you need to hide to regenerate your shield, well, your enemy's shield will be back to full in no time too). You better pray you have some heavy missiles or the ARC-9000 in your inventory to speed things up (on top of having a better weapon than the starting equipment).
  • Enemy diversity: I didn't go beyond sector 5, but you don't have many enemies. It's either outlaw, either Okkar, and more often than not it will be the exact same ships, except in upgraded versions (ie. Mk2, Mk3, etc). Well, I guess you can count G&B too, if you piss them off.
  • Inevitably, you will notice that there aren't that much random events and places. It will always be the exact same stations, with the exact same asteroids, the exact same ship wrecks, etc. It is normal to feel that way in a rogue game, but a little more diversity wouldn't have hurt.
Most of this is standard for roguelites.

Top Bottom