• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Asia Plus gets so much better games on Plus compared to other countries?

Ludens

Banned
So, a lot of people say licenses cost, and that's true of course, but if Asia Plus teaches us something, it's Sony takes out the money to license triple A titles for asian contries, while EU/US Plus is pretty much all about indie games.

So why Sony gives so triple A games on Asia? Maybe those games are too westy to be bought "normally" in asian contries, so giving them on Plus it's a way to push asian people to subscribe, but while Sony actually invests more money to license triple A games on Asia, they "spare" money by licensing only indie titles on US/EU, even if there's a demand for triple A titles even here.

Because let's face it, having Until Down instead of Spy Chameleon 8just an example) is so much a better thing and I think people agree with me on this point.

wapplew

Console gaming is niche here. When you up against "free 2 play" regions, you have to bring the A game.

benzopil

You dont get Spy Chameleon instead of Until Dawn. You get Killing Floor 2 instead of Until Dawn.

Life is Strange and Alienation were free on Asia PS+ earlier, why don't you think Until Dawn will be everywhere later too?

Because since Plus became an online paywall, Sony saw they didn't need to make any efforts in West to make people subscribe.
But in Asia ? They need to be competitive.

VLiberty

So, a lot of people say licenses cost, and that's true of course, but if Asia Plus teaches us something, it's Sony takes out the money to license triple A titles for asian contries, while EU/US Plus is pretty much all about indie games.

So why Sony gives so triple A games on Asia? Maybe those games are too westy to be bought "normally" in asian contries, so giving them on Plus it's a way to push asian people to subscribe, but while Sony actually invests more money to license triple A games on Asia, they "spare" money by licensing only indie titles on US/EU, even if there's a demand for triple A titles even here.

Because let's face it, having Until Down instead of Spy Chameleon 8just an example) is so much a better thing and I think people agree with me on this point.
I don't care for Until Dawn, while I bought Spy Chameleon even before it went on plus.

y'know, tastes.

Because in Asia the mere access to online gaming isn't valuable enough to most customers.

The market spoke just like it did in the West, blame your fellow PS+ members.

whenitrains

Neo Member
Somewhat related topic but Sony just released a ps4 bundle with 3 games: horizon zero dawn, ratchet and clank and driveclub here in Malaysia. It seems like Sony really pushing the ps4 in Asia.

sublimit

Banned
Because in the West a lot of gamers would still pay at least half of the price for PS+ just for online gaming. Sad but true.

RalchAC

Somewhat related topic but Sony just released a ps4 bundle with 3 games: horizon zero dawn, ratchet and clank and driveclub here in Malaysia. It seems like Sony really pushing the ps4 in Asia.

Sony has talked about how Asia is a "key area" when it comes to the future grow of the brand.

So it makes sense that they'll be aggresive there.

ckleow

20170525-LAP_0522.jpg

MSMrRound

Japan PS+ isn't Asia PS+.

Even if we do get some decent games from time to time, it is not always the case.

I can't tell you how many times some games were announced for our region, only for us to receive Japanese-only or Chinese-only versions of the game, even though there's many of us e.g I live in Singapore and I have Malay/Indian and Eurasian friends who wouldn't be able to understand nor enjoy it.

Different regions get different people working in 3rd party relations, some people do their jobs better than others it seems.

Europe - Gets the best bundles/discounts
Asia - Gets the best PS+ games
America - Gets the best marketing deals

mieumieu

I said that multiple times here, but I will say it again.

Because Asian PSN has shitty deals or no deals! Deals are the sole reason I got a US account.

Different regions require different sales tactics.

duckroll

When Sony was serious about pushing Plus in the US on PS3 and Vita, they offered unbelievable deals. Asia got jack shit. The difference in line up was hilarious. Which is why I had a US PS+ subscription instead. Once that stabilized, and they got people to accept Plus as a thing, they pushed out the PS4 which required Plus for online. The Vita also basically died. With the US userbase for Plus at a much higher volume, it made sense that they would scale back on the freebies since it would cost them more and more for each free license.

I guess now they're starting to pay attention to Asia? I don't know. I don't even own a PS4 yet. If I did I probably wouldn't be interested in Plus either. I generally play single player games on console and multiplayer games on PC. Most of my friends who have a PS4 are the same. I imagine the Plus subscription base in Asia is probably pretty low, which makes it far cheaper to get "big" titles to try and grow that audience.

You haven't seen the times when Asia's PS+ line up are absolutely shit because a lot of the games aren't even on the PSN store due to sheer incompetence of SCEJA. The HK PSN store did not even have pre-order and pre-load until late 2015/early 2016. I believe Uncharted 4 was one of the first games to offer that here.

Japan PS+ isn't Asia PS+.

Even if we do get some decent games from time to time, it is not always the case.

I can't tell you how many times some games were announced for our region, only for us to receive Japanese-only or Chinese-only versions of the game, even though there's many of us e.g I live in Singapore and I have Malay/Indian and Eurasian friends who wouldn't be able to understand nor enjoy it.

True. Macau here (we use HK PSN). Have been waiting for ever for Dangun Feveron or Battle Garegga to drop in the Hong Kong store...Many western games never get released on the store or they arrive much, much later...

duckroll

I would be happy to settle for consistently getting Japanese games day and date. That doesn't even happen. Falcom is a huge offender. They refuse to put any of their Japanese games on the store anymore, only the Chinese ones. Kadokawa is weird too. Zero no Kiseki Evolution is available in Japanese, but Ao no Kiseki Evolution isn't anywhere to be found. What's the point in buying half the story? SaGa Scarlet Grace wasn't on the store for weeks, and when it finally showed up, the price was the same as what I paid Amazon Japan for the retail copy at launch which DHL delivered within a day of it shipping.

What's the point of supporting digital games when they are inconsistent, late, and expensive? Lol.

Bowl0l

How about I trade with you Asia's Plus games and you give me NA weekly deals?
Asia PSN business strategy is to lend you games because their discount is either insignificant or take ages before a good sale comes up.

Asia PSN also receive an inconsistent mess of Chinese/Japanese/English game release of PSN.
There are games/DLC that got delayed for an entire year or indefinitely.

Ludens

Banned
I don't know about EU getting better deals, because it seems we only get discounts on Ubi, Activision and EA games, those are pretty much always discounted.
And we miss awesome deals like 1$ for Dino Crisis, I mean those games are not even available on EU (both Dino Crisis, Chrono Trigger, the second Forbidden Siren just to bring some examples).

Also being a PC player also means usually those indie titles given by Plus are already in my library, purchased from Humble, Bundlestars or whatever.
I subbed to Plus because Plus was great on PS3 (I don't play online at all, if not for some rare cases), having first party triple A games would be great, because I would try games I probably wouldn't purchase.

Well, to get us into their PS+ ecosystem. Asia is still the minority of Playstation users, and this is probably the easiest way to pull us in. I was tempted to sub so many times. But no thanks, Sony. Nice try, though.

You haven't seen the times when Asia's PS+ line up are absolutely shit because a lot of the games aren't even on the PSN store due to sheer incompetence of SCEJA. The HK PSN store did not even have pre-order and pre-load until late 2015/early 2016. I believe Uncharted 4 was one of the first games to offer that here.

It's actually still the case right now. There are still games that are still not available here, or most of them just came out late.

They treat us like some 3rd tier countries, while at the same time they also want our money.

Defuser

Am I in bizzaro world where asia plus is btter? Sony treats asia gamers like a piece of shit when it comes to digital.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
If projected sales revenue < Sony Plus payout then the game is a candidate for PS Plus. This might apply to more games in Asia due to lower projected sales overall?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
People will continue to deny, but it's because the better Sony is doing the worse the service will get. In Asia they need to bring their best to get market penetration. Here? They already hooked and landed us past gen into this one with the paywall.

Hellshy.

I don't know about EU getting better deals, because it seems we only get discounts on Ubi, Activision and EA games, those are pretty much always discounted.
And we miss awesome deals like 1$ for Dino Crisis, I mean those games are not even available on EU (both Dino Crisis, Chrono Trigger, the second Forbidden Siren just to bring some examples).

Also being a PC player also means usually those indie titles given by Plus are already in my library, purchased from Humble, Bundlestars or whatever.
I subbed to Plus because Plus was great on PS3 (I don't play online at all, if not for some rare cases), having first party triple A games would be great, because I would try games I probably wouldn't purchase.

A lot of indie titles that launched on plus were new to the market.Granted only 2 or 3 of those titles were any good. I wish they still had 1 free new idie game a month.

Kanann

PS+

PS3 era
- US+EU = good
- Asia = shit
- Japan = shit

PS4 era
- US+EU = decent
- Asia = good
- Japan = beyond shit

PS5 era
???

foxdvd

I guess the first question I have is there a list of all psn plus games for the last few months so I can see if there is a quality difference? My next question... I see people all the time talk about having another account in a different country so they can play games not in their region... first is this violating psn policy? If not.. can I make an Asian account.. add plus to it... get the free games each month.. but still play them with my American account?

Kanann

I guess the first question I have is there a list of all psn plus games for the last few months so I can see if there is a quality difference? My next question... I see people all the time talk about having another account in a different country so they can play games not in their region... first is this violating psn policy? If not.. can I make an Asian account.. add plus to it... get the free games each month.. but still play them with my American account?

Even SIE president (Shuhei Yoshida) has multiple region accounts, you will be fine.

PS+

PS3 era
- US+EU = good
- Asia = shit
- Japan = shit

PS4 era
- US+EU = decent
- Asia = good
- Japan = beyond shit

PS5 era
???

PS5 era
Game as a service.

Sony wants Asia. Sony already has the rest of the major markets.
Asia don't care for forced online but the "free"games.
They will only get me as long as they provide good games on Plus. Once they treat us like dirt again i will stop my Sub.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
PS5 era
Game as a service.

Asia don't care for forced online but the "free"games.
They will only get me as long as they provide good games on Plus. Once they treat us like dirt again i will stop my Sub.

So it's working then lol

Well, to get us into their PS+ ecosystem. Asia is still the minority of Playstation users, and this is probably the easiest way to pull us in. I was tempted to sub so many times. But no thanks, Sony. Nice try, though.

It's actually still the case right now. There are still games that are still not available here, or most of them just came out late.

They treat us like some 3rd tier countries, while at the same time they also want our money.

LMAO yes, like I was looking for Wipeout Omega Collection for the price on the HK store, since it's $40 on NA which is a bit more than what I'm willing to pay but nope, they don't even put Sony first party games on here.

Top Bottom