• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the last movie that truly scared you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I know this question is begging for joke answers. For example, I would normally put something like "well Van Helsing scared the shit out of me because it made me realize there are people alive today that can make something this bad..."

But for real. And by scare I don't mean "jump" or "startle." I mean something that truly got underneath your skin. It doesn't have to be horror per se, but I would like it if the topic stayed in that direction. Also, to keep it at least somewhat interesting, possibly, if you've been upset with horror movies in general, try and explain what you think directors and writers need to do to change this. Movies like Saw and Hostel are fun, but they're not scary so in a lot of ways I don't consider them horror films, but thrillers.

As for me, even though heavily disliked the direction it took in the last act, The Descent had it's share of disturbing moments for me. After the second act I felt the movie really started to live up to the title, but before that, I thought it was an effective horror movie because it was not only riddled with creepy-crawlies, it was also pretty psychological and the cinematography as well as the locations were highly claustrophobic and pretty unforgiving.

The best horror movie I've ever seen though is the original Halloween. It's untouchable. It bothers me to no end each time I watch it and it's pretty much a perfect horror film. It has totally likable characters, totally insane camerawork and filmmaking techniques especially considering the budget, and perhaps its greatest strength is that every single attempt to scare you totally works. I can't say this about any other horror movie, but when Carpenter attempts to scare, I think he pulls it off, at least to me.

I've rambled enough and have successfully written my 42nd love letter to Halloween, so have fun.

TheWolf said:
no one better say The Ring or The Grudge.

Yes, as we're talking about horror. ;)

Anyone seen Suspiria? I don't think it's really scary or anything but it's an awesome horror movie with interesting music to say the least and some unique use of color.

Widfara

Banned
flubber(1).jpg

Nick

I hate scary movies, but Halloween has always been the penultimate scary movie that I could never quite get over.

How that ****er walks, talks and stalks his way into your life. That dead stare. Ugh. I hate him.

tegdf

Nick said:
I hate scary movies, but Halloween has always been the penultimate scary movie that I could never quite get over.

How that ****er walks, talks and stalks his way into your life. That dead stare. Ugh. I hate him.

he doesn't talk

castle007

Banned
The Ring

And I am being serious

That ****ing Samara ****ed me up

I had a tv in my room and I couldn't sleep for an entire week

tegdf said:
he doesn't talk

Perhaps Nick saw an advanced screening of Rob Zombie's version. :lol

Yeah, The Ring was quite good. A bit too PG-13 for my tastes but still pretty effective and surprising. And as someone mentioned above, Ringu. It's actually a bit better than the American remake and the scene at the end when she comes out of the TV is handled... wow, infinitely better in the Japanese version.

Kiljaro

...The Ring, I still haven't finished watching it. Don't laugh.

But on another note the absolute most super fantastic horror movie I've ever watched was The Thing. I had to mention it. So awesome.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
brandonh83 said:
Thanks for the contribution.
Just giving an honest answer. Sometimes they try to be scary and just come off lame, though it seems they are learning to be more stylish, at least.

Jake.

i've seen tons of western/japanese/korean horror movies and none have ever scared me at all, definately grossed me out in parts but never been scared. i'm not trying to sound like some tough guy or something but films have never affected me in that way. actually i guess kairo came close but the 360 degree ending ruined it.

unless you are twelve years old i seriously can't see how ringu could have scared you/kept you up at night.

This is an out-of-left-field answer, but The End of Evangelion. It didn't really scare me so much as it just screwed me up.

I watched it one evening, and went to bed mentally exhausted. The next morning I went to work, worked an hour, then went home feeling nauseous because I absolutely couldn't function. Where I worked was at a call center, and I couldn't even think straight while customers were talking to me over the phone. It had such a lasting effect on me, and I'll never forget it,

Strangest film experience ever.

The Ring. Remember that part in the beggining where they find the girl in the closet that was scared to death? That freaked me out for awhile.

disappeared said:
This is an out-of-left-field answer, but The End of Evangelion. It didn't really scare me so much as it just screwed me up.

I watched it one evening, and went to bed mentally exhausted. The next morning I went to work, worked an hour, then went home feeling nauseous because I absolutely couldn't function. Where I worked was at a call center, and I couldn't even think straight while customers were talking to me over the phone. It had such a lasting effect on me, and I'll never forget it,

Strangest film experience ever.

I walked around a bit...

...drank a coke...

...then screamed....

"JESUS CHRIST!! WHAT THE HELL?! F*CK YOU ANNO!!!"

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Signs gave me shivers....

When the first alien footage is shown at that birthday party... the way that damn thing looks at the camera and strange 9/11-like mood that had been set up to that point all combined to make my spine crawl.

Lelielle

actually i'm another victim of "the Ring' I couldn't walk past a TV without feeling unsettled for 2 weeks (Probably exacerbated by the fact i saw it at the theater).

Event Horizon is the one movie that truly disturbed me. Everything else pales in comparison. It has some of the most shocking images ever put to film.

Chichikov

When I was 7 my brother sneaked me in to see Alien.
For the next couple years I slept 3 hours.
Combined.

I’m not afraid of movies anymore.

SofaKing

Hates all things good and decent in this world
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Event Horizon

that movie scared the shit out of me when i first saw it, and a couple times afterward. but an awesome movie nonetheless. after that i would say The Ring, since then nothing. but on a different note, Boogeyman scared me in the way of how movies are getting worse and worse nowadays.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Spruce Moose said:
Event Horizon is the one movie that truly disturbed me. Everything else pales in comparison. It has some of the most shocking images ever put to film.
Oh yeah. I wouldn't say scared, but I would prefer to not have the memory of some of those images in my head anymore. Disturbing.

SofaKing

Hates all things good and decent in this world
Spruce Moose said:

agreed. the video that was discovered and cleaned up on the ship... man oh man, i couldn't go to sleep the night the first time i watched Event Horizon.

CHYME

Banned
I'd have to agree on Event Horizon.

The Blair Witch Project freaked me out, as well. I guess it had something to do with the setting and its documentary style.

The Blair Witch Project was inda scary but when i ws a little kid a saw this move THE GATE..............scared the shit out of me:lol i cant baleave how much it sared me:lol

i kept having nightmares of those little basturds
t35581wo11e.jpg

big_z

Spruce Moose said:

Event Horizon is my #1 horror movie as well and it's interesting that they cut out or didn't film a lot of stuff due to the content being too much for viewers. This movie is proof that Anderson can do good stuff. I wish he would move away from the crappy game movies....

These two horror movies are pretty good too.
Session 9
Below

Today horror movies suck. All we get are poor japanese remakes or teen horrors that are pure garbage.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Battle Royale, because it's such a ****ed up concept. Before that, Jacob's Ladder, before that, It (was 8 when I saw it - scared me shitless).

not a movie, but probably the x-files...ten years ago at least. Im now 23. movies dont really scare me at anymore, and I find most horrors very borying> Last decent one was the Japanese Ring, which I didnt find scary...

Actually scratch most of that the last scary movie I saw was Jesus Camp, pretty terryfying levels of human stupidity and indoctrinisation

peace

The original The Haunting had me "on the edge of my seat", as well as Kwaidan, but I haven't really been scared by even my absolute favorite horror films since I was a kid. Closest I've come was the siege in Straw Dogs, which isn't even a horror movie.

GreekWolf

Er... yeah. So a friend dragged me to the movies a couple months ago to see some indy flick that was deemed too scary for theatrical release. Our local megaplex showed it for three days only and then sent it back to wherever it came from.

If enjoy that kind of crap, then knock yourself out. I think the DVD comes out in a couple months.

gd-gallery-09.jpg

http://gravedancers.com/

big_z

Brian Fellows said:
The early claustrophobic parts of The Decent freaked me out a bit. Too bad the rest of the movie was so unscary.

I forgot about the decent. It's pretty good.... kinda like the cave but not crappy. Too bad they removed the good ending here in NA.

Jacob's Ladder: good movie but not all that scary. you can see where a lot of silent hill ideas came from when watching it too.

{Mike}

Banned
GreekWolf said:
Er... yeah. So a friend dragged me to the movies a couple months ago to see some indy flick that was deemed too scary for theatrical release. Our local megaplex showed it for three days only and then sent it back to wherever it came from.

If enjoy that kind of crap, then knock yourself out. I think the DVD comes out in a couple months.

gd-gallery-09.jpg

http://gravedancers.com/

I'm already scared :S

Honestly, the last movie that scared me is called The Shutter

shutter%20POSTER.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom