• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six Siege is about to get a loot box system

Link.

Rainbow Six Siege is about to get its own loot boxes, called alpha packs. Here’s how they’ll work, and what they’ll contain.

First, here’s how you’ll obtain alpha packs. When they were first shown in a dev diary back in February, a sharp-eyed Redditor named turntrout101 found a brief frame in the video which explained the process.

When you complete a match - win or lose - the chance of getting an alpha pack increases. However, the dice for a drop are only rolled if you win - it’s just that previous losses (or wins without a drop) will increase your chances. If you roll for a drop and lose, your chances are carried over.

Alternatively, you can also buy alpha packs outright with Renown (they’ll cost 5,000 each, with discounts if you buy in bulk). Renown is Siege’s free in-game currency, which you’ll earn for almost all activities. You can increase the rate of Renown gains by buying boosters with Siege's real-money currency (R6 Credits), but it seems you can't use real money to buy alpha packs directly.

As for what alpha packs contain, expect a range of cosmetic items with which to decorate your weapons. They're now live on the technical test servers, where players have reported a trove of new weapon skins ranging from common to legendary (though these ranks haven’t been finalised) - indeed, Ubisoft have said every pack should contain at least one item of legendary rank. PvPLive have a nice post highlighting a few of their favourites so far.

Though alpha packs are now on the TTS alongside update 2.2.1, they're not due to hit the game proper until update 2.2.2, which is scheduled for July or August.

Alongside the current Operation Health, a loot box system is yet another sign that Ubisoft are serious about turning Siege into a long-term 'live' game. Some wariness in the community is understandable, but this is a clear sign that the game will be around for a while yet.

Lock if old.

Ashtar

This actually sounds pretty good for a loot box system, basically getting better odds every time you play a game

nOoblet16

As long as I can still buy things I specifically want using renown and R6 Credit I am fine with this. Because most of the times I don't care for any cosmetics except say some special weapon skins (can be bought using renown) and elite packs (which cost real money).

However if the lootboxes become the only source of getting things then I'm against it.

TheRed

This looks like one of the best loot box systems. Can't wait. I have like no cosmetic items because I save all my renown to try and get all the operators, now I'll get some cosmetics while still saving for operators. Nice.

These have been a long time coming, sure they were announced during the Six Invitational early this year.

They should be a good addition to the game and allow players to get some of the more expensive cosmetic items for just playing a few games now and again.

Compsiox

Banned
I'm not too crazy about them phasing out the shop completely but if the money made from this system gets Ubisoft to give the team more resources then whatever.

Rodelero

It's pretty extraordinary that this is coming as part of Operation Health. Ubisoft have delayed the content you actually wanted (maps, operators) under the pretence of focusing on things that should have been okay from the start, but are actually implementing a new system by which they can make more money?

What a joke. Ubisoft are taking the R6 community for a ride on the back of what is, at its core, a very good game.

Auctopus

Worth mentioning that you can't buy them directly with real-world money, they're bought with in-game rewards.

It's all cosmetic, nothing gives you an advantage.

Eh, just weapon cosmetics isn't an issue.
Operator cosmetics though i'd be interested in though.

Operator cosmetics arrive relatively frequently. They vary in usefulness/quality though.

It's pretty extraordinary that this is coming as part of Operation Health. Ubisoft have delayed the content you actually wanted (maps, operators) under the pretence of focusing on things that should have been okay from the start, but are actually implementing a new system by which they can make more money?

What a joke. Ubisoft are taking the R6 community for a ride on the back of what is, at its core, a very good game.
Everyone in here praising it too lol

Guess this is the future of shooters:/

TheRed

Well I myself barely have any issues on PC aside from matchmaking and the one step matchmaking is coming at the same time with these. Not gonna be spending any money on them so it's just nice to get. Guess I'm just not as negative as some people. Game has been the top multi-player experience of the past year for me so yes I give them the benefit.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
If they spent their time patching in PS4 Pro support, I would come back.

But not loot boxes..

Rodelero

Well I myself barely have any issues on PC aside from matchmaking and the one step matchmaking is coming at the same time with these. Not gonna be spending any money on them so it's just nice to get. Guess I'm just not as negative as some people. Game has been the top multi-player experience of the past year for me so yes I give them the benefit.

Issues on the PS4 have been pretty frequent ever since I picked up the game earlier this year. It got particularly bad around the release of Jackal and Mira. Not just something affecting me either, it affects all of the people I play with. It has been better recently but it's still rare to have a whole session without something going wrong at some point.

Simply not being able to log in for hours at a time. People getting randomly disconnected out of games (often several at a time). Matchmaking taking forever - often getting into a stuck state where you have to back out - and simply being bad at producing close matches. Often having to play against people with pings into the high 100s and 200s. Ghost ranked matches starting while you're matchmaking that prevent you from playing ranked altogether because you are 'in a ranked game'. It's a sorry state for a game that is well into its second year.

Everyone in here praising it too lol

Guess this is the future of shooters:/

To be clear, I'm not against loot box systems done right, I'm against the timing of this as part of Operation Health. The announcement of Operation Health irritated me enough because it felt like there was a lack of apology on Ubisoft's part for the fact the game was in such a dreadful state and for the fact they were cancelling a map and delaying two operators. This is yet another indication of the fact that Ubisoft lack respect for their paying customers.

KodaRuss

They said this isnt coming until July/August so we have a while. I dont really care that much about loot boxes, I just hope I will be able to buy what I want without having to hope to get them in a loot box.

They need to come out with more and better cosmetics though. A lot of the headgear and uniform options are just bad.

xrnzaaas

Loot boxes = XXI century slot machines ;p I'm surprised it's not treated as gambling by more countries and organizations.

From what I'm seeing so far the alpha packs are purely additive to the current loot system, so it's an entirely bonus method for getting cosmetics.

But i guess lootboxes are destroying video games oh no think of the children :////

Bobnob

Loot boxes = XXI century slot machines ;p I'm surprised it's not treated as gambling by more countries and organizations.

I've always thought the same about Fifa player packs, its disgusting tbf (over a 1000 games played with all my ingame credit and real cash going to buy packs but never got a legend in a pack.)

As long as I can still buy things I specifically want using renown and R6 Credit I am fine with this. Because most of the times I don't care for any cosmetics except say some special weapon skins (can be bought using renown) and elite packs (which cost real money).

However if the lootboxes become the only source of getting things then I'm against it.

The loot boxes are mainly there so people can get a chance to get those seasonal skins again (for example, the Operation Black Ice skins).

This has actually been in the pipeline for a long time (they showed it off last year as well).

groansey

"About to" = August maybe, who knows? Seems like the team is on skeleton crew since Ubi pocketed that season pass money.

They still need to fix the servers on console and compensate people who bought the season pass based on the original Year 2 roadmap. Cue "You're still getting everything you paid for!!!" from a chorus of people who hate consumer rights.

Even though skins have always been there most people have spent thier renown operators which has been good because it keeps the numbe of ridiculous weapon skins I see to a minimum compared to other games.

I cannot stand weapon skins; they ruin the asthetic of games and can kind of take away from the integrity of the game. Some are inoffensive and fitting like a wood stock replacement for a gun or the occasional nickel plated revolver. Those fit in to the real world. In fact siege had been pretty grounded with alternate operator uniforms and tiny out of the way weapon charms. I rarely see the dumb weapon skins being used even though they exist in the game. But I really don't want to see more lava, lightning, radioactive material and all of the other skins don't fit in. Halo 5, and COD MWR are all ready full of it. Somehow Destiny, even with its loads of dances, armor, and shaders has kept itself to a minimum number of well designed weapon skins. Props to Bungie because they have a unique art style and it doesn't need to be polluted with weapon skins.

I would rather them increase the amount of grind it takes to unlock the dlc operators and increase the yearly season pass to $40-60 rather than see the frequency of weapon skins increase.

Posting from my phone so I don't want to go on too long. Don't even get me started on the RNG aspect of loot boxes (Looking at you COD and Destiny)

Rodelero

This has actually been in the pipeline for a long time (they showed it off last year as well).

I'm well aware - it doesn't really alter my perception of it. The things I was waiting for, like the new map and the new characters, have been cancelled and delayed respectively. The thing the game needs desperately, and should have been there from the beginning, is hopefully on the way with Operation Health. The thing the game definitely doesn't need, but which will make Ubisoft more money, is definitely coming though.

Operation Health should have been Ubisoft saying - you know what, we fucked up, and we're going to make it right. Instead it has been them putting out no actual content but implementing a new revenue stream for themselves. As for the health improving... I'll believe it when I see it.

groansey

Just to clarify, not in THunt cause if that's your mode of choice then fuck you and Ubisoft could give two shits about you.

Turn off V-sync in settings and you get 60fps THunt with some tearing.

But yeah compared to OW, the PvE and other game mode support is non-existent.

KodaRuss

No, last I recall they said something along the lines of it wasn't a priority.

Just to clarify, not in THunt cause if that's your mode of choice then fuck you and Ubisoft could give two shits about you.

At least the daily challenges havent forgotten about you! Because every challenge is for Terrorist hunt...

Terrorist Hunt will probably always be overlooked.

mf.luder

This looks like one of the best loot box systems. Can't wait. I have like no cosmetic items because I save all my renown to try and get all the operators, now I'll get some cosmetics while still saving for operators. Nice.

Yep, I feel the same.

Mike Golf

I'm well aware - it doesn't really alter my perception of it. The things I was waiting for, like the new map and the new characters, have been cancelled and delayed respectively. The thing the game needs desperately, and should have been there from the beginning, is hopefully on the way with Operation Health. The thing the game definitely doesn't need, but which will make Ubisoft more money, is definitely coming though.

Operation Health should have been Ubisoft saying - you know what, we fucked up, and we're going to make it right. Instead it has been them putting out no actual content but implementing a new revenue stream for themselves. As for the health improving... I'll believe it when I see it.

No need to go off the deep end then, Op Health has only just started and it's a multi month (3?) effort so give it the time it deserves. I'm as annoyed as anyone at the connection time issues for matches so if delaying the next content release will actually result in fixing it then I'm all for it.

In regards to the loot boxes directly, between PS4 and PC I have well over a 100K renown doing nothing but burning a hole in Mute's digital wallet and welcome being able to use it for loot boxes if it gives a chance to gain a skin that otherwise you have to pay $15 dollars for with R6 credits. So long as they don't wall off future items or indeed even characters behind these boxes I don't see the problem of Ubi wanting to introduce a new stream of revenue especially when you can pay renown, which is gained fairly liberally, to get them rather than actual money.

5k renown is pretty steep but then again Siege's currency system is garbage so I'm not surprised.

Luckily for me I find pretty much all of the cosmetics but ugly and also a giant "shoot me" sign.

zeox

Well you can apparently purchase them with renown as well. Renown is earned by playing, but you can also purchase it with real-world money.

renown can't be purchased with real money. you can buy boosters, but that's it

Fury451

Banned
As long as they only contain cosmetic items I'm fine with this.

That's all the game has for buyable content, most of which can be bought with in-game credits already.

This works for me, some of the skins and such require a ton of credits.

Top Bottom