• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In-depth study of Xbox Live user timespent and ownership on Xbox One and X360

thanks for fixing the topic title

methodology and an important note, before people jump the gun:
All of these sources of potential error make us uncomfortable using our data to directly extrapolate total sales or usage numbers for the entire Xbox playerbase. The numbers and ratios presented in this report should only be considered representative, sampled estimates of the online portion of the Xbox community, which could be significantly different from the total community of Xbox owners. You can try to multiply out our percentages by reported hardware sales numbers if you want, but we wouldn't stand behind that extrapolation.

some pictures for your fast information fix:
xboxapi.png

Xbox-Gauge.001new.jpg

Xbox-Gauge-New-3.001new.jpg

Xbox-Gauge-New-3.002new.jpg

Xbox-Gauge.016new.jpg

Xbox-Gauge.021new.jpg

DBpLS6JW0AEOgMf.jpg:large

After a lot of searching for a way to get at those Gamertags, I stumbled on a gold mine. Buried in the achievement leaderboards on XboxLiveScore.com was what seemed to be an extant list of over 48 million Xbox Live Gamertags (the site is offline now, but you can browse a limited copy on The Internet Archive).
On both systems, the top 10 percent of games represent about 90 percent of all measured usage, easily outpacing the 20-80 percent split of the Pareto principle to the benefit of the top-performing titles (Fig. 12-13).
The average (mean) Xbox 360 owner in our sample owns 32.87 games, while the average Xbox One owner owns 21.73 games.
Right away, a few games stick out for showing relatively strong ownership numbers despite being played relatively infrequently. Titanfall, Ryse: Son of Rome and Sunset Overdrive, for instance, are ranked 8th, 18th and 19th in total ownership on Xbox One while being ranked 98th, 162nd, and 112th, respectively, in total playtime in the earlier gameplay sample.

more at the link.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017...eep-dive-study-of-how-millions-use-xbox-live/

laught at arstechnica if you don't like the graphs

Keinning

You shoud have probably posted this part before the assumptions like "no one uses BC!!" or "xboxers only play dudebro and kinect games" come out flying everywhere based on the graphs

All of these sources of potential error make us uncomfortable using our data to directly extrapolate total sales or usage numbers for the entire Xbox playerbase. The numbers and ratios presented in this report should only be considered representative, sampled estimates of the online portion of the Xbox community, which could be significantly different from the total community of Xbox owners. You can try to multiply out our percentages by reported hardware sales numbers if you want, but we wouldn’t stand behind that extrapolation.

Ryse and Sunset Overdrive were free at one point. Neat data, but as stated in their disclaimer it doesn't seem particularly useful other than maybe adding weight to things that everybody already assumed.

I just finished reading the whole thing. Very cool that they were able to get all of this data. It's too bad that Microsoft shut off the ability to get playtime data a couple of months ago, but from a privacy standpoint, it's probably a good thing.

Also, I enjoy getting perspective on things like backwards compatibility. Doing that is a good way to win hearts and minds, and probably helps sell systems, but ultimately doesn't get used all that much.

You shoud have probably posted this part before the assumptions like "no one uses BC!!" or "xboxers only play dudebro and kinect games" come out flying everywhere based on the graphs

i should've finished the Op first before hitting the Enter Butten prematurely ;)
yeah it's maybe an important note for people unfamiliar with this stuff.
but if you care or work with this regular, you know what you can take about it.
and for what it is and shows, it's a great write-up and read

a perfect sample, or data for every active Xbox Live user would be great, but that is stuff only Microsoft could do or provide.
That's why Steamspy is such a great tool. This is obviously more flawed, but the principle is the same

We should use this thread over the other BC-focused one as the other thread's title and context will lead people to jump to the wrong conclusions about backwards compatibility.

---

Interesting about the BC stats. Maybe backwards compatibility just needs more games that people still want to spend a lot of time on.

The BC release of Black Ops 2 pushed the game into April's NPD, even charting above something like Horizon. I wonder what the time proportion would have been for users in that month?

I agree with the OP about its importance for preservation. It's quite impressive how you can play 2005 XBLA and Xbox 360 launch games on Xbox One, with their Xbox Live functionality still available.

Microsoft even prints download codes for these old games, complete with "plays on Xbox One" branding:

71Q4zsrc1GL._SY445_.jpg

ValloaYasu

Neo Member
Wow Shooters and sports are huge... would be nice to have a "by country" breackdown to compare the play habits...

Wow Halo 5 is barely in the top 20 of most played games. How far a franchise can fall. Interesting that BF1 is the most played fps.

foltzie1

The two results relatively low utilization and surprisingly high sales for some BC titles are not mutually exclusive.

MC just has to decide if it is selling more Xbox One's and 360 games than it would have without BC and weigh that against the costs of making BC work.

Those Steam like sales for BC download titles are probably driving a nice little bit of long tail income for otherwise dormant titles. Strictly anecdotal, but I spent a fair amount of money on the last BC sale and I don't even have my XB1 plugged in at the moment.

DesertFox

This is neat and all, but I really don't put too much weight on surveys taken by a so-called representative portion of the community.

I mean, if the results of those types of surveys were even somewhat reliable, Hillary Clinton would be the US President.

This is neat and all, but I really don't put too much weight on surveys taken by a so-called representative portion of the community.

I mean, if the results of those types of surveys were even somewhat reliable, Hillary Clinton would be the US President.

this is not a survey. it's data mining, so no personal bias or human error possible ;)
and the article or author never claimed to have a representative portion of the community or the whole community.

and every statistical evaluation has an error margin you need to account for.

Oh I misunderstood the footnote mentioning sampling users between certain dates. Took that to mean some sort of survey, but that makes sense that it was datamined. Disregard my comment.
no problem. we're here to correct misunderstandings

DesertFox

this is not a survey. it's data mining, so no personal bias or human error possible ;)
and the article or author never claimed to have a representative portion of the community or the whole community.

and every statistical evaluation has an error margin you need to account for.

Oh I misunderstood the footnote mentioning sampling users between certain dates. Took that to mean some sort of survey, but that makes sense that it was datamined. Disregard my comment.

I've done some work with the Xbox API before to pull out all of me & my friend's videoclips & screenshots automatically into a backed up private repository, which was cool. I wish that the actual Xbox API from Microsoft was publicly available instead of having to go through 3rd party API services like this one.

It also makes sense that FIFA, NBA, and Madden top out the list for that period of time. Sept - Feb 12, at least with Madden, is the prime football-watching audience.

I'd love to see a complete picture of the data.

Caayn

Wait, how can GTAV only be #2 in number of owners when the game have sold over than 80 million units?
Two possible reasons I can come up with.

1) The sample group used was biased, it wasn't a clean sample group representative of the entire group.
2) GTAV sold 80m units across multiple platforms, it could be that a different game sold more on one of those platforms.

Wait, how can GTAV only be #2 in number of owners when the game have sold over than 80 million units?

nearly half of that sales are form last gen
35m sold in as of 31 July 2014 (release for current gen was November 2014)

the 40 million include the Pc version
7.2 million are Steam sales
x million are Rockstar Social Club Sales

Ps4 installbase is 2 times bigger than XBox One

factor all this in and you can see how GTAV could be only the second or third biggest Xbox One game (i think especially the Minecraft audience could be heavily underrepresented in this sample of Live user)

Talax

I don't know how skewed the sample size is but this is just depressing as far as variety of games type is concerned. 13 out of the 20 games are FPS and the other 7 are mostly Assassin's Creed, GTA and Minecraft.

Is this analysis possible for ps4? Because if it's the same there then I feel like no amount of marketing can change casual gamers mind that there are genres outside of FPS. D:

Kill3r7

I don't know how skewed the sample size is but this is just depressing as far as variety of games type is concerned. 13 out of the 20 games are FPS and the other 7 are mostly Assassin's Creed, GTA and Minecraft.

Is this analysis possible for ps4? Because if it's the same there then I feel like no amount of marketing can change casual gamers mind that there are genres outside of FPS. D:

We get best selling games on PSN each month and have additional physical data points to know the picture is similar there as well.

EvB

It's all about them being great multiplayer games rather than FPS.
It's totally in line with what Microsoft have been saying about narrative games not being as popular, both from a sales perspective , but from a playtime point of view

They're covering their bases by stating that the sample size might not reflect the community as a whole but I think we can all safely make an educated assumption that this is pretty spot on. What stands out to me is that while BC might not be used by many people it's important to have it available. The goal is to eventually make the name Xbox a platform independent of the hardware it's on so to have the complete library available to play at any time is something that should be a priority. Not only does it allow for a kind of preservation of the history of the platform but it instills consumer confidence that buying into the ecosystem means you'll be supported for years and years, something that's a major selling point of PC gaming. It amazes me that people have to try to downplay the importance of this. Talk about missing the forest for the trees. Also damn Destiny has some legs. I've been a contributing member to that number. Destiny 2 is gonna be huge.

They're covering their bases by stating that the sample size might not reflect the community as a whole but I think we can all safely make an educated assumption that this is pretty spot on. What stands out to me is that while BC might not be used by many people it's important to have it available. The goal is to eventually make the name Xbox a platform independent of the hardware it's on so to have the complete library available to play at any time is something that should be a priority. Not only does it allow for a kind of preservation of the history of the platform but it instills consumer confidence that buying into the ecosystem means you'll be supported for years and years, something that's a major selling point of PC gaming. It amazes me that people have to try to downplay the importance of this. Talk about missing the forest for the trees. Also damn Destiny has some legs. I've been a contributing member to that number. Destiny 2 is gonna be huge.

This is incorrect. BC is used by 50% of the player base
overall average time spent is just lower compared to new releases

for every 18 hours of Xbox One games played
1/2 hour of BC games are played

keep also in mind this data was gathered in a time from September 2016 to February 2017
the 2 biggest BC games were RDR released in July 2016 and BOII released in April 2017
so before and after the data was gathered
pretty hard for low profile BC games to compete against the blockbuster Holiday 2016 ne releases ;)

The wording on the tweet I'm guessing you're referencing is not saying 50% of Xbox users are using BC, but that 50% have used it

"Oh cool I can play guardian heroes" and turning it on for 45 seconds to see if it actually works counts towards the stat of "user who has launched a BC title" but doesn't mean they're using it
fine. correct.
Im not native English, but isn't used the correct term for that? didn't say using

we don't have MAU or DAU BC user data from Microsoft sadly

Mashing

I'm really surprised that the blu-ray player is not in the list for the XB1. I mean, that's basically all I do on my XB1S (4k blu rays). I guess it could be clumped into that 14.1% for the non-game apps.

This is incorrect. BC is used by 50% of the player base
overall average time spent is just lower compared to new releases

The wording on the tweet I'm guessing you're referencing is not saying 50% of Xbox users are using BC, but that 50% have used it

"Oh cool I can play guardian heroes" and turning it on for 45 seconds to see if it actually works counts towards the stat of "user who has launched a BC title" but doesn't mean they're using it

Norse

They also say top 10% of games account for 90% of gaming time. So bc is like the other 90% of games. Used far less than the top games, but not so different than your avg game.

No surprise Netflix is tops..I mean when you start Netflix, a movie is 2 hrs. A person might switch between a few different games over a 2 hr span.

They also say top 10% of games account for 90% of gaming time. So bc is like the other 90% of games. Used far less than the top games, but not so different than your avg game.

No surprise Netflix is tops..I mean when you start Netflix, a movie is 2 hrs. A person might switch between a few different games over a 2 hr span.
The Top 12 accounts for nearly 50% of gameplay time spent
so 25% of total time using Xbox One

games don't matter
only big ones
would be the right conclusion right? /s

I'm surprised that Internet explorer isn't bigger. Or I guess that's in the other apps section
you are?
browser on console is a pain in the ass
oh don't get me wrong it's terrible but it has its uses. How else would I watch drama fever on my TV. Crashes and all
KBM support and a proper browser can't come soon enough
or better use of the Xbox app on mobile phones.
just let me browse like a normal mobile browser with my phone and the stuff happens on TV

blakep267

The Top 12 accounts for nearly 50% of gameplay time spent
so 25% of total time using Xbox One

games don't matter
only big ones
would be the right conclusion right? /s

you are?
browser on console is a pain in the ass
oh don't get me wrong it's terrible but it has its uses. How else would I watch drama fever on my TV. Crashes and all

Not surprised to see the complete and utter absence of Gears of War 4 in that ownership % list. The game was such an abysmal disappointment that I couldn't in good faith recommend it to all of my gears buddies that were on the fence about buying it.

It seems though that what few people who did buy it are playing it a lot, based on that second list.

Not surprised to see the complete and utter absence of Gears of War 4 in that ownership % list. The game was such an abysmal disappointment that I couldn't in good faith recommend it to all of my gears buddies that were on the fence about buying it.

It seems though that what few people who did buy it are playing it a lot, based on that second list.

must be a mistake or something
the game is #16 on the Xbox One usage data list
the list that includes APPs like Netflix, Hulu, TV and Blu-Ray

The Gears of War 4 beta is also on the Xbox One owner list at #94

Top Bottom