• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung 32:9 HDR 49inch Ultrawide PC Monitor Display

Zedox

Da Sauce

Samsung-QLED-Gaming-Monitor.jpg

The Samsung's CHG90 comes with a 32:9 aspect ratio and 3,840×1,080 double full HD (DFHD) resolution across a 49-inch screen. It is the widest monitor in the Samsung's gaming portfolio. It is also a curved monitor that delivers stunning 1,800R curvature and an ultra-wide 178-degree viewing angle. This monitor also supports fast refresh rate (144Hz) and 1ms motion picture response time (MPRT) with advanced, four-channel scanning technology to deter motion blur and produce a more consistent picture across the entire screen during gaming.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I can't see myself giving up G-Sync any time soon.

AlanOC91

Oh my lord. I want this.

Side-note: Any semi-decent 4k curved monitors available on the market? I can only mainly find 1440p monitors.

Luigiv

Now make one that's 1440p with Gsync enable and I'll still not be able to afford one.

32:9 sounds amazing for productivity.

Everything sounds great except the resolution and no gsync. Does anyone know if games support this resolution/ratio or will it be even less supported than my current setup 1440p 21:9?

LCGeek

formerly sane
I'm mixed on it.

Anything after 16:9 is really on the Dev not screwing you over, won't mean much for me in certain titles where FOV and aspect ratio get locked for MP. For ultility purposes that thing is bad ass.

I'm wondering if blurbusters will be allowed to test the motion blur in gaming. I don't mind the claim but if it doesn't do anything it's not gonna satisfy my lightboost urge. Shame cause at the price they are asking you'd figured a mor proper implementation on top of the scanning tech would be used. Until manufacturers realize that the time of frames being displayed is more of the problem not the frequency I will hate flat panels for killing my temporal resolution compared to CRTS. Synchronization is meaningless to mention in the context of what I'm saying the problem is still there. I'm still looking at a synchronized blurry image due to sample and hold.

Whoa. So this is like a dual monitor setup with just one monitor. Definitely interested in this. Plus it'll be nice to play at 3820x1080 without having two bezels to contend with in the center of the screen.

Pooya

That's all Window screen splitting though,

I doubt you can split the screen like that for every Input going into the monitor.

No it's not. That's the entire point of the feature.

large 4k displays already have a 4 window mode that you can display 4 1080p inputs at the same time, used for stock market, monitoring and similar.

Really considering getting the 27" or 32" 16:9 ones, since they tick off all the boxes on my list. (Probably the only thing I don't like is the "curved" part.)

large 4k displays already have a 4 window mode that you can display 4 1080p inputs at the same time, used for stock market, monitoring and similar.

That's pretty cool!! If they can confirm that feature for this monitor, I might consider getting this. Sort of bummed by the 1080 vertical resolution though.

FinKL

I don't doubt that you can do it, I know Dell and Phillips both have a 4k monitor that can do this, hell even my 21:9 can do 2 inputs and stretch the image. I was commenting on the fact that I think you won't be able to adjust the monitor to vary the input display like that.
That's pretty cool!! If they can confirm that feature for this monitor, I might consider getting this. Sort of bummed by the 1080 vertical resolution though.

You want a 4k monitor if you want to split it equally into 4 x 1080. This is ideally for 2x1080

I feel like this crosses a threshold into too wide.

Yeah my 34" 3440x1440 takes up my full field of vision when sitting my normal distance away from a computer monitor. I'd have to scoot back to make this one comfortable to look at. Either that or physically move my neck instead of just having to move my eyeballs, and I am NOT doing that!

You want a 4k monitor if you want to split it equally into 4 x 1080. This is ideally for 2x1080

It's mainly for playing console games and being on the PC at the same time (I do day trade, but I'm not as concerned about that). A part of me was just hoping the height would be 1440 for pixel density (since if my math is right the vertical dimension would match a 27" monitor). But yeah, can't have everything.

Still good info to know. ^-^

sirap

Jesus that's wide.

Almost wish it was wider so that you could split the screen into 3x1080p. Now that would be the ideal ultrawide for me.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
An (expensive) alternative for people who aren't happy with this one's specs:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1382460
3440x1440 @ 35" (ideal PPI for real estate / usability for legacy applications)
200 Hz G-sync (holy crap)
512 zone backlight (that's some of the highest I've ever seen, and we still don't even have a single released monitor with zoned backlight)
HDR with 1000 nits max brightness and DCI-P3 color gamut (together with the zoned backlight: actual HDR!)

laxu

The vertical space seems a bit too little and this seems more aimed as a multimonitor replacement for people who really, really hate bezels. I prefer the 3440x1440 models and even then only for work. The peripheral vision of ultrawide is not that useful to me.

pa22word

While 21:9 is usually fine for me, this looks almost too narrow. Almost like I'd be perpetually squinting all the time or something. Maybe it's just the fpv shot of bf1 distorting things and it looks fine otherwise, but I think it'd be better if the ratio was closer to 32:10 or 32:12 or something.

Personally tho, I still think the wrong aspect ratio won back in the day. 16:10 was so much better imo.

Top Bottom