• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot VF 5 preview with 2(!) paragraphs on game's story

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Seriously, WTF? Someone was paid to write this?

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/...=topslot;title;2&om_act=convert&click=topslot

As with the previous games, Virtua Fighter 5 is superficially light on the story, with next to no inkling of the drama behind each character's entrance into the tournament. However, if you have a gander at the game's manual and the brief bios laid out for each character, you'll be able to catch up on what's been going on with your favorite fighters since the last game. At the center of the tournament is a global organization named Judgement 6 (J6 for short), made up of six corporations with a hand in everything from weapons development to international politics. Though it's a little tough to follow, the organization is working on a subtle form of world domination that apparently involves the World Fighting Tournament. We're not entirely sure how that actually works, but it's as good an excuse as any to fight a bunch of people, so we're rolling with it.

It seems J6 is eager to test a new model of its cybernetic fighter--the game's traditional end boss, Dural--who has been loaded up with combat data taken from Vanessa. The evil corporation had designs on making Vanessa a cyborg, but she escaped before she suffered the same fight as Kage Maru's mother, who had been Borg-ified into Dural for the last few games in the series. Sadly, all this backstory continues to be lost from any prominent mention as you play through the game's various modes, requiring you to read about it, which is a shame.

And :lol at the bolded part. Who would be sad about that?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I am getting sick of people demanding "story" in every video game they play. Its getting ridiculous.

Virtua Fighter is not supposed to have a damn story. Its a virtual fighting game (hence the name). Goddamn it people like this make me angry.

I've always been fond of what little story the game has, at least for Lau Chan. I'm curious what will happen to Mr. Iron Chef with his sickness and Lei Fei.

Pimpwerx

I've only ever made it to Dural a few times. Twice with Jacky (once in VF1, once in VF2), and three times with Lion (twice in VF2 and once in VF3). My memory is bad, but I thought she was like Unknown in Tekken in that she adopted the fighting styles of various fighters. Then again, I never beat her, so it's not like I spent a lot of time studying her moveset. But in my limited time fighting her, I thought she was one of the chameleon-style fighters. That preview says otherwise. Am I mistaken? PEACE.

Pimpwerx

KyanMehwulfe said:
I've always been fond of what little story the game has, at least for Lau Chan. I'm curious what will happen to Mr. Iron Chef with his sickness and Lei Fei.
I always felt like Lau and Pai were the only ones with decent stories, and they weren't that interesting. Yeah, VF is really about the fight than the plot. PEACE.

Dali

Including a story in a fighting game isn't really needed. It only gets harder and harder with each iteration to explain why the fighters are fighting, who the new characters are, and who the new boss is. Tekken's story has gotten so convoluted and fantastic that now the batshit insane story is part of the fun. VF doesn't need to go that route.

edit:
The Take Out Bandit said:
Two paragraphs and it still doesn't explain what happened to Vanessa's melanin and muscles!

What? Is Vanessa white now?

i found it strange that GS would make a beef about the story and decide the need to explain to us the game's plot line

even Sega doesn't give a shit about the story because there isn't one

Virtua Fighter is a sport, not a drama about cursed blood or evil intent or devil genes.

the lack of story in VF makes the fighting essence of the series even more pure with no story shackles of killing off characters due to plot lines

Taka (sumo) Arashi's abscence is all due to techy constraints and troubles that AM2 didn't want the extra time doing collision and physics poopoo just for Taka... that is all

Dali said:
Including a story in a fighting game isn't really needed.

All I know is DoA4 had the best goddamned ending for any fighting game ever. If it needed a story to pull that off, so be it. Now that I think about it, all the storylines were awesome. Stealing lettuce, dinosaur rescue, ninja clans.

Shit, no, dude. I am starting to think you are absolutely wrong.

Zefah said:
I am getting sick of people demanding "story" in every video game they play. Its getting ridiculous.

Virtua Fighter is not supposed to have a damn story. Its a virtual fighting game (hence the name). Goddamn it people like this make me angry.

It's a good, added incentive for someone who is not necessarily that into fighters that they would enter tournaments, to pick up the game. When I picked up Soul Calibur III, I was more curious about the storyline than how they would be balancing the characters.

All fighters are of course best played as multiplayer games but when that experience isn't possible at all times, adding story can give the single-player experience a lot more appeal. I agree that in many games, they'd be better off not trying at all (Castlevania) but a lot of effort into storyline can really leave a lasting impression on those who aren't going to be competing in tournaments.

I've never needed or cared for the story behind Virtua Fighter, but the strange and convoluted stories behind Tekken are always strangely fascinating to me.

Mortal Kombat was another game with some wacky storylines that were sort of fun to try and figure out, but I still think Tekken has them all beat for shear wackiness.

Let's not forget the disaster of Story Mode in Soul Calibur III PS2.

Some of us just wanted regular arcade mode with FMV ending or whatever.
But Soul Calibur III proves that being story heavy can hurt your Fighting Game.

Dali

Pristine_Condition said:
I've never needed or cared for the story behind Virtua Fighter, but the strange and convoluted stories behind Tekken are always strangely fascinating to me.

Mortal Kombat was another game with some wacky storylines that were sort of fun to try and figure out, but I still think Tekken has them all beat for shear wackiness.

Agree with everything you wrote, but especially that.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Pimpwerx said:
I've only ever made it to Dural a few times. Twice with Jacky (once in VF1, once in VF2), and three times with Lion (twice in VF2 and once in VF3). My memory is bad, but I thought she was like Unknown in Tekken in that she adopted the fighting styles of various fighters. Then again, I never beat her, so it's not like I spent a lot of time studying her moveset. But in my limited time fighting her, I thought she was one of the chameleon-style fighters. That preview says otherwise. Am I mistaken? PEACE.

Yes. Dural has moves from various characters, but her moveset is fixed. She doesn't change moves all the time like say, Mokujin in the Tekken games.

I hope that Namco learns their lesson from Soul Calibur III's story mode and not attempt to throw their mission quest mode into the the main story mode and force us with what they did in SC3

I'm happy with arcade mode with, with a near end rival character exchangign word, final boss and fmv at the end.. that is all. (Tekken style)

I don't want multiple choices with massive text and QTE events in my story mode. that gets old fast.

VF4's Kumite mode and VF4Evo's Quest mode are the best single player modes for a fighting game that justify long single player play (yes I know Fighting games are meant for VS play)

so Quest mode in VF5, I can't wait to see it

USD

gutter_trash said:
Let's not forget the disaster of Story Mode in Soul Calibur III PS2.

Some of us just wanted regular arcade mode with FMV ending or whatever.
But Soul Calibur III proves that being story heavy can hurt your Fighting Game.
I hate Soul Calibur III for the massive walls of text that they use to explain backstory and for the story mode. Also doesn't help that the story isn't interesting at all.

People need to take a few notes from Guilty Gear X2. GGX2 is the first and only time I've ever actually been interested in the story in a fighting game.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
There's no online VS, so story, no matter how dumb is added meat to the bones. DOA, Tekken, and Street Fighter do it almost exclusively with ending movies. And that's just fine.

I do want to know what happened to Mrs. Mokujin and Akira and Nina as long as it is funny, amazing or sexy.

D-X

Until they stop hiring B movie actors to do the voice work its probably best that the storyline isn't expanded on (think of the Virtua Quest voices).

Sapiens

Give me a brief scenario - I'll imagine the rest of the story (unless its MGS - which im absolutely gay for)

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
fighting games don't need a story

but what fighting game does have an actual story? would be a nice change of pace.

Avalon

davepoobond said:
fighting games don't need a story

but what fighting game does have an actual story? would be a nice change of pace.

Guilty Gear XX has a fairly competent storymode (separate from the main Arcade mode) with branching paths and everything. Story is interesting too.

Fatghost said:
What did they do to the training mode? :(

You can't watch the computer demonstrate a move for you anymore.

The dojo mode offers two types of training for you to try: command and free. Command lets you go through every move in your fighter's repertoire successively. Once you get comfortable with a fighter's moves, you can select a time-attack option to see how fast you can zip through them all. The free option basically lets you practice against an AI opponent whose behavior you can set in minute detail. For hardcore fans looking to hone their skills to razor sharpness, the modes will let you customize your display to show input, frame, and hit data. While all of the above is a great collection of learning tools, the dojo mode is missing one of the smartest features included in the previous games: the ability to watch the computer do a move. Though it was pretty simple, the feature helped novices get a handle on VF's nuanced fighting system. Given the tweaks that the system has undergone in VF5, especially the timing tweaks, the omission of the demo option will likely be missed.

Gattsu25

Banned
Two paragraphs and it still doesn't explain what happened to Vanessa's melanin and muscles!

Immediate Disqualification!
I agree strongly! Why did they screw up an already PERFECT character?

Seriously...she's now a white girl with a spray on tan :(

davepoobond

karasu said:
Tekken, Street Fighter

what? there wasn't enough story in Tekken to make any sense out of any of the cutscenes they had at the end, and street fighter...you better not be talking about Street Fighter: The Movie the game.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
davepoobond said:
what? there wasn't enough story in Tekken to make any sense out of any of the cutscenes they had at the end, and street fighter...you better not be talking about Street Fighter: The Movie the game.
tekken and street fighter both have great background stories. id argue mortal kombat did as well untill they mashed everything together killing characters off left and right.

Dali

davepoobond said:

Tekken's story is definitely crazy and convoluted, but it is a fully fleshed-out story. Every Tekken 5 cutscene/ending makes sense in the context of the story.

davepoobond

Dali said:
Tekken's story is definitely crazy and convoluted, but it is a fully fleshed-out story. Every Tekken 5 cutscene/ending makes sense in the context of the story.

i haven't played Tekken 5. did they actually have cutscenes between each battle or something?

i dont know, i just dont see anything that's like a normal progression of a story...

::shrug::

Dali

davepoobond said:
i haven't played Tekken 5. did they actually have cutscenes between each battle or something?

i dont know, i just dont see anything that's like a normal progression of a story...

::shrug::

Not after every battle, but before and after key fights.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Zefah said:

serious business for reals.

Kittonwy

Banned

Immediate Disqualification!

She's been Halle Berrified, which is not so bad... not bad at all.
gladtomeetya.gif

there are too many inconsistancies, plot holes and crontradictions is fighting games story lines to make anyone actually give a damn.

we can list all the Street Fighter, Tekken and Soul Calibur incosistancies forever, but lazyness instills in me

FartOfWar

Banned
Zefah said:

Chess. Needs more story. GUYS I PLAY BETTER WHEN I KNOW MY PAWN MARRIED CYRTHRILIA LAST WEDNESDAY.

Zefah said:

I agree. If you want story people, go read a book. Games are mostly for fun. A good story is icing on the cake, not mandatory. I can maybe understand an RPG, but in a fighting game, who cares?

Gattsu25 said:
I agree strongly! Why did they screw up an already PERFECT character?

Seriously...she's now a white girl with a spray on tan :(

The funny part is I'm pretty sure they have a skin edit item that actually makes her white skinned.

Oh and as for the stories in fighting games, I think the Tekken and Mortal Kombat games go about as deep into the stories as you need to get. For instance, Soul Calibur 3 is a fighter that had too much story.

Whoa didn't noticed in the early shots but Vanessa looks like mulatto now oh well hope she still kicks ass.
As for fighting game stories I like them because they're cheesy you can't take them too seriously.

Pachael

So, is Virtua Quest still proper canon in the VF universe? (Considering J6 et al make an appearance and all)...

No ability to watch computer make a move? BOOOO
Gimped VF.TV (all offline - I wanted ghost downloads!) BOOOO

That's it for modes? No AI mode? BOOO

To me this seems like VF4 Evo upgrade plus plus :(
I'll still get it, of course :D

Sho Nuff

Banned
Pachael said:
So, is Virtua Quest still proper canon in the VF universe? (Considering J6 et al make an appearance and all)...

No ability to watch computer make a move? BOOOO
Gimped VF.TV (all offline - I wanted ghost downloads!) BOOOO

That's it for modes? No AI mode? BOOO

To me this seems like VF4 Evo upgrade plus plus :(
I'll still get it, of course :D

Dude, I PLAYED Virtua Quest on the Gamecube, IN ENGLISH.

I managed to keep going until I got to the forest world. I just couldn't take any more of it after that.

Top Bottom