• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin’s Creed Origins : UbiBlog Preview detailling every core change

Coffinhal

UbiBlog Preview Link

IIRC it's okay to copy and paste from an editor's direct source so I took the most interesting parts of the article so you can quickly read to what is interesting to you (combat, open world, mission, lore etc)

BUT there's more details in the link above (especially on combat!)

Combat, exploration, and even the way missions are structured have all been overhauled and reinvented, creating an experience that – while unmistakably Assassin's Creed – represents a whole new beginning for the series. Assassin's Creed Origins is a world not of elaborate gadgets and strange technologies, but of gods, mystery, and freedom. We've dipped our toes into that world by freely exploring one of its regions, Faiyum, and speaking to Origins' creators. Here's what we've learned about what's in store when Assassin's Creed Origins is released at the launch of Xbox One X and on October 27 for Xbox One, PS4, PS4 Pro, and PC:

About the open world

”We have the capacity, from a technological standpoint, to create a massive countryside," says Ismail. ”It's not a city, it's a whole country with many cities, many villages, many exotic landscapes."
”We know that people, when they think Egypt, they think desert," says Jean Guesdon, the game's creative director. ”But Egypt is way more than that. You have the Nile Delta, you have the Nile River, you have tons of oases. So when you mix all that, from the green, lush fauna of the Nile Delta to the oasis of Faiyum, it's the perfect playground."

The Faiyum region is just a small part of the game's world, and the E3 demo is set in an even smaller part of Faiyum – but even the small slice we had access to was vast and diverse, a place where desert cliffs give way to bustling towns and sprawling acres of carefully irrigated farmland.

About NPCs

”The NPCs of the world have full schedules, day and night," says Ismail. ”The NPCs are living a life in this world which includes working, sleeping, socializing, eating, peeing, and so on. Farmers farm, priests run rituals and prayers, bandits ambush and steal, Ptolemaic guards patrol, defend, transport and so on. All of this is based on their day/night cycle, and as you learn more about the world and the specific characters you meet, you can play with where to meet them, assassinate, attack, steal, infiltrate, and so on."

About travelling

It's worth noting that Viewpoints are still dotted across the map, waiting for you to climb and sync with them, although their functionality is a little different from previous games. In the demo, they aren't necessary for revealing the map, but synchronizing unlocks them as fast-travel spots, while also marking potential quests and other points of interest as question marks.

About the new combat system (lots of details in the article I can't copy and paste everything)

Bayek is an extraordinary man, one who possesses abilities unlike any Assassin to date. Chief among these is his approach to battle; where previous Assassin's Creed fights revolved largely around dispatching small crowds with a system of instant-kill counters, Bayek's tactics are more direct and aggressive. His melee approach centers on combo strikes, dodges, and deflections, and he can annihilate foes from a distance with ranged weapons or use stealth to topple them one after another. In a toe-to-toe fight, enemies will coordinate in merciless ways, lunging in or firing arrows while you're busy slashing up their comrades, so the dodge button frequently comes in handy. Bayek can also block attacks with his shield so long as you're standing still, or you can use it to briefly knock enemies off-balance with an unlockable parry move. It's even possible to drop smoke bombs mid-combo, which is great for when you're feeling overwhelmed and need a little breathing room.

”The philosophy around the combat is different, but so are the controls," says Ashraf Ismail. ”The default controls propose a very different experience compared to previous Assassin's Creeds, but fit very well with the new combat system. For people who really miss the legacy controls, we will have options to change the default. Otherwise, in terms of gameplay, it is really about learning each weapon and how they behave – because there is a lot of depth there – and also paying attention to the weapons wielded by enemies, as this will dictate their behavior."

Able to lock on and quickly switch focus between enemies, Bayek can unleash flurries of light attacks that are enough to take down most weaker enemies, and his slower, heavier strikes can knock aside shields and stagger foes. Bayek also has an adrenaline gauge at the bottom of the screen that builds up during combat; depending on your weapon, filling it will let you unleash either a devastating, defense-smashing Overpower attack that's more than enough to kill most enemies, or a frenzy that briefly makes Bayek stronger, faster, and more resistant to damage.

Boss fights

Mastering Bayek's weapons and abilities is essential if you plan to tackle another of Origins' new additions: boss fights against formidable warriors and strange creatures. We played through one of these, set in an arena in the city of Krokodilopolis, in which Bayek faced down a hulking man known as the Slaver. His weapon of choice was (appropriately enough) a man catcher, a spiked, forked polearm that he used to grab Bayek and hurl him around the arena, frequently into rotating spike traps.

Gear upgrading and stealth

”Bayek starts the game with most of his basic gear except for the Hidden Blade," says Ashraf Ismail. ”All his gear starts at level 1 and levels up through crafting, which increases the stats of the gear and its appearance. The Hidden Blade is found by going through the story, and it is necessary to keep upgrading if you want to maintain the ability to perform assassinations. Otherwise, you do stealth damage and enter combat."
Speaking of stealth, it can be a little easier to sneak around fortified encampments at night, when visibility is low and some of the guards are sleeping. And if you don't feel like waiting around, you can fast-forward through the day by making Bayek meditate until nightfall.

”More often, you have guards who sleep at night," says Ismail. ”But the counter to this is that you also have more bandits active at night, so you can be ambushed or attacked if you are not wary of such things."

Taming animals and more gear-related stuff

In the demo, Bayek carries a handful of sleep darts, which can knock enemies out for a few crucial seconds, giving you a window for a fatal stab or a quick escape. Eventually, you'll even be able to use them as a crucial step in taming animals – including crocodiles, hippos, lions, and more – who'll loyally follow Bayek into battle and obey his commands until they die. And that's just for starters; Bayek's repertoire of tools can be expanded over time to include firebombs, poison clouds, traps, and much more.

On different approaches for different kind of gameplay

”We want players to have fun finding their own way through the ability graph," says Ismail. ”The Hunter path is made to lean towards ranged fighters and stealth players. Warrior is obviously made for melee fighters, and the Seer path is for playing with manipulation – Assassin tools, economic persuasiveness, animal taming, etc."

On the "UAV" eagle companion

The key to discovering what Assassin's Creed Origins has to offer is Senu, Bayek's eagle and the origin of the phrase ”Eagle Vision." Instead of the color-coded second sight of later Assassins, Bayek can send Senu aloft to get a bird's-eye view of the landscape. Not only that, but unlockable abilities let her tag patrolling threats so that Bayek can easily spot them, or distract enemies by lunging down at them from the sky.

She can also pinpoint nearby objectives, which is especially important because Assassin's Creed Origins does away with the traditional onscreen minimap entirely, instead relying on floating onscreen markers that point you in the general direction of tasks you need to complete.

No more minimap

”We didn't want to hold players' hands," Jean Guesdon says. ”This is why we decided to remove the minimap. We want you to enjoy and to actually experience the beautiful world we're bringing to you. You will have to play the game to put icons [on the map]."

The markers you do get aren't always exact, which is part of the fun. Our very first task in the demo was to find Hotephres, a Greek informant who sailed across Moeris on a ship that carried a statue. We knew generally where he'd be, but rather than sail across the massive lake in search of a single large boat, we loosed Senu. When she got close, a yellow awareness indicator appeared, at which point we parked her in midair and scanned her surroundings until a tightening yellow circle clicked shut on Hotephres' ship.

New mission structure

More than an extra step in finding a mission objective, this exercise underlined Assassin's Creed Origins' new approach to the structure of its quests. Rather than being locked into a clear chain of A-to-B story beats, you'll take a free-form approach to discovering your objectives, and you can pursue them more or less at your leisure. After visiting Hotephres, for example, we were tasked with visiting his wife, Khenut, who held a ledger pointing to the identity of a sinister figure known as The Crocodile. However, talking to one of Hotephres' deckhands also revealed rumors about farmers in Dionysias, who were dying as their fields were burned by unknown assailants.

At that point – or at any other point where a passerby told us about something that could lead to a mission – we were free to track and pursue either objective. You won't run into a mission failure or desynchronization if you wander off the ”correct" path; we could even go so far as to wander away from one quest mid-mission, tackle the other one, and then return to where we'd left off in the first quest. This flexibility also means there's a considerable degree of freedom in how you approach your quests; there's just the objective, the environment, and threats to avoid or dispatch as you see fit.

Story/lore context

As the title suggests, Assassin's Creed Origins isn't just about taking a step back in time to see how ancient Assassins took down their targets. Bayek is the last of the Medjay, a Nubian order of warriors who served as agents of the pharaohs for hundreds of years, protecting cities and temples from threats. In his hometown of Siwa, Bayek is seen as a hero – but in the rest of Egypt, where the influence of the Greek Ptolemies is stronger, those in power seem to view him as more of an inconvenient relic.

”At the time of Bayek, the Medjay didn't have a reason to exist anymore, because the rulers were not pharaohs," says Maxime Durand. ”There were new people that replaced the Medjay."
Bayek is steadfast in his mission, believing that the gods of Egypt support him, but even he sees the need to adapt to the pressures of an ever-expanding world. Those adaptations form the basis for many of Assassin's Creed's familiar symbols.
”Was it just that someone decided ‘I'm going to put on a hood?'" asks Ashraf Ismail. ”No, no. There are stories behind all of this, and these are the experiences you explore in the game."

Yet people while say that it's the same old game.

The combat looked like shit but I can't wait to play an AC game again, I missed it a lot.

cackhyena

It just looked super janky to me. For as long as it's been in development, I dunno. Expected a better showing. I'm still curious. I've wanted core changes for a long time.

Elios83

Looked at the footage during the conference.
I was really impressed by the setting but gameplay wise....someone should tell Ubisoft that an eagle is not a drone........combat was rough as well.

13ruce

Banned
Zelda BotW and Witcher 3 (and maybe even Horizon?) already inspiring games i see good.

Day 1.

Edit: oh Soulsborne is what i forgot.

Linkyn

The demo looked more than a little rough around the edges, especially the combat.

I wonder if a For Honor-style approach to combat might have worked here.

Still not sold yet. Looks to be an amalgamation of all Ubi franchises into one game. Will have to see what reviews and impressions say as it'll take a lot for Ubi to get me back into another asscreed

kaskade

I'm curious to see how it is shown off during the Ubi conference, the one in MS's was too short to really get a feel for it besides that it looked like AC.

Tagg9

Not sure how I feel about this.
There’s also the predator bow, an ideal weapon for snipers, which comes with a super-accurate first-person viewfinder, fires instantly with no pullback, and carries an unlockable ability that lets Bayek control its arrows in flight.

Coffinhal

People, the thread is about the preview not about the gameplay demo, at least try to compare the preview with what has been shown haha

I'm curious to see how it is shown off during the Ubi conference, the one in MS's was too short to really get a feel for it besides that it looked like AC.

I'd say one CGI trailer + 1 live commentary of a 7-9min mission that clearly explains to you what's new in the open world and in stealth+combat

That's usually what they do and it works great. I don't understand why they did that in-engine trailer + 4 min clip of a mission, doesn't work for the best I guess as you don't understand what's new, how that thing works etc

KooopaKid

Banned
Looked janky, with the same old gameplay as before, I didn't see a big jump from previous entries. I though it would look a lot more impressive visually too, but at least it's a realistic reveal.

It’s worth noting that Viewpoints are still dotted across the map, waiting for you to climb and sync with them, although their functionality is a little different from previous games. In the demo, they aren’t necessary for revealing the map, but synchronizing unlocks them as fast-travel spots, while also marking potential quests and other points of interest as question marks.
So what you're saying is that viewpoints do the exact same fucking thing

Wadiwasi

Banned
For some reason I didn't like the bird UAV mechanic. Don't know why, but it just didn't work for me. I haven't played an Assassin's Creed since Black Flag and am ready for another entry. I like the extra rpg elements they added in.

Jedi2016

someone should tell Ubisoft that an eagle is not a drone........
Yeah, I realized reading the article that Senu is basically the drone from Watch Dogs 2.

Can you unlock special skins for her? lol

Oh, and did you catch the mention of loot crates? In a single player game, really?

Ubisoft said:
...you’ll also be able to visit... bazaars for rare loot and mystery crates (which you can earn through daily quests).

Memento

I welcome Souls-lite combat. But it does look a little bit janky.

It says alpha in the gameplay trailer, so I hope it gets better.

"The Hidden Blade is found by going through the story, and it is necessary to keep upgrading if you want to maintain the ability to perform assassinations. Otherwise, you do stealth damage and enter combat.”

bukkake

Since the AC franchise no longer moving forward, AC has kind of turned into NFC franchise for me. I probably will play 1 out of 3 games depend on the overworld settings.

chaislip3

Combat definitely seemed a bit janky, at least judging from the animations, but I remember some of the early showings of Syndicate were in similar shape. I'm hopeful that looks better at release like AC:S did.

Everything else looked great though.

So what you're saying is that viewpoints do the exact same fucking thing

Really wish they could make a part of the map visible and let us explore to find out what the strange points are like the other game (I don't want to write the name because it may trigger some people for no reason)

vareon

There's a lot of changes listed here, but the gameplay sequence on the conference made it look pretty much an Assassin's Creed game, outside of combat. Hopefully we'll see more in Ubi's conference.

Jeffrey

Combat definitely seemed a bit janky, at least judging from the animations, but I remember some of the early showings of Syndicate were in similar shape. I'm hopeful that looks better at release like AC:S did.

Everything else looked great though.

syndicate combat looked janky too. Honestly felt like the combat animation flow was perfected by 3, then the tweaks have made the combat less automatic, but more janky as result.

Same with this new one, which is a shame, gives a bit of zelda vibe with the side steps and weapon + shield, but the hits don't feel good, and that finishing move was clipping weird.

Not a great first impression.

You can really see how much Witcher III has influenced the core gameplay in the game, super exciting! Considering the masterpiece that it is, it’s finally great to see other “reap the benefits” of it.

Ashtar

Is there anything in that article about changes to the platforming mechanics/controls?
Nope
This all sounds good imo, I really hope they nail platforming as you said
I wonder what the in game reason for giant snakes will be.... drug trips?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'd like some information on how collectables will work. To quote myself from a couple of days ago:

The lack of a minimap does make me a little concerned about how collectables will work. In Watch Dogs 2, they only appear on the map if they're relatively close, presumably so the player wouldn't feel compelled to seek them out, which I wasn't much a fan of. I hope there's at least the option of purchasing or otherwise acquiring, say, a treasure map.

I live for collectable hunting. Give me that icon overload!

sjay1994

I really hope the showing at ubi's conference impresses.

Because I felt really underwhelmed when the gameplay started. It just came of as standard ubisoft fare of scout the base out, then kill everyone.

As an Ass Creed fan, I am incredibly excited for this. Everything about the game just seems fun to me.

But I'm still cautiously optimistic because we've seen a great looking Ass Creed game turn out to be bad.

Top Bottom