• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 7 on Xbox One X has a 30% surplus on the GPU at 4K/60fps

So I was behind those closed doors and they said after porting it to Scorpio/X they had 30% free.. So they've been using it for other enhancements.

I don't imagine it will ship with that much overhead.

So I was behind those closed doors and they said after porting it to Scorpio/X they had 30% free.. So they've been using it for other enhancements.

I don't imagine it will ship with that much overhead.

Otherwise the power is wasted. Ideally you should be using 100% of the system's resources for better framerate, effects or image quality.

DieH@rd

Banned
That could just mean that the base game on Xbox One is tying them down.

Forzas have been pretty basic on Xbox One. Visuals have to be streamlined to achieve 1080p60 on weak hardware.

Otherwise the power is wasted. Ideally you should be using 100% of the system's resources for better framerate, effects or image quality.

Yeah, I mean.. Why not. It is impressive that they could bump it from 1080p/60 to 4K/60 and still have 30% left over to play with.

I swear that info was already in the DF or Eurogamer articles. The guy did mention that stat during the demo though.

The game looks fucking fantastic in motion though, we only got to see the Dubai track, one lap.. But.. Daaamn. Combined with their Dolby Atmos setup.. I had a techy hard on for a while.

I hope it will be the same with FH4, but probably not.

They did say they look FH3's sky tech and implemented it into FM7. It looked really cool. The clouds cast shadows on your car. The damn clouds!

napata

Yeah, I mean.. Why not. It is impressive that they could bump it from 1080p/60 to 4K/60 and still have 30% left over to play with.

I swear that info was already in the DF or Eurogamer articles. The guy did mention that stat during the demo though.

The game looks fucking fantastic in motion though, we only got to see the Dubai track, one lap.. But.. Daaamn. Combined with their Dolby Atmos setup.. I had a techy hard on for a while.

Is it impressive? It's exactly what you should expect. Going from 1080p to 4k is a around a 4x jump. That leaves you with around 20-30% of power left.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
with that GPU, i don't doubt it. I expect it to be the case for most titles in regards to not taking full advantage of Scorpio's power.

What's striking is that even a low to midrange console(based on the low end CPU and midrange GPU of course) like scorpio is overkill for the types of games out for current gen.

Makes me think that devs could obviously go much further if they were not constrained by PS4 and XB1.

PS5 with a better CPU will be pretty good hopefully.

eso76

Is it impressive? It's exactly what you should expect. Going from 1080p to 4k is a around a 4x jump. That leaves you with around 20-30% of power left.

Resolution alone would put you around there.
This is apparently also using much better textures, 16xAF and possibly LOD0 models for all cars on the track.

pswii60

Xbox One X does seem to be designed for the long-haul (CPU aside!)

So does this mean it's running at an absolutely locked 60fps, not a drop in sight?

napata

Resolution alone would put you around there.
This is apparently also using much better textures, 16xAF and possibly LOD0 models for all cars on the track.

1.2 x 4 = 4.8

6/4.8 = 1.25 so a 25% surplus.

The impression that I got was that they were talking about just Xbox one Forza at 4k leaving a 30% surplus. Textures and AF don't really eat up any GPU resources anyway.

Xbox One X does seem to be designed for the long-haul (CPU aside!)

So does this mean it's running at an absolutely locked 60fps, not a drop in sight?

Probably. How locked were the previous Forza's on the Xbone? If the Xbone version doesn't have any drops the XBX shouldn't have any either.

forza-motorsport-7-2.jpg

https://sagamer.co.za/2017/06/13/hands-forza-motorsport-7-xbox-one-x

Nice.very Impressive. T10 sure know how to optimize hardware. I can't even begin to imagine what Playground Games will do with the hardware.

nynt9

I mean, without knowing if the game has any overhead at 1080p on a regular xbone it doesn't make for a good comparison on the grounds you're suggesting.

This is good, but I wish the CPU wasn't the bottleneck for consoles this gen.

Luckydog

That could just mean that the base game on Xbox One is tying them down.

Forzas have been pretty basic on Xbox One. Visuals have to be streamlined to achieve 1080p60 on weak hardware.

That's some grade A console warrior action. Well done.

fantomena

I want to see how this looks maxed out on PC. Hopefully the PC version is as good as Gears 4 and FH3 (never had any problem with it).

Seems about right. I doubt many games if any will be maxing out the Scorpio during the launch window or year. I bet it can push some serious visuals in the future, especially if they use tricks like dynamic 4K scaling or checkerboard. Most being 30fps though of course.

Nesses

yet no destiny at 60fps

all that power and what is it good for?

moar shiny bauble in garmes

Seems like Bungie wanted feature parity with the PS4 or PS4 Pro so it doesn't look like Sony has the least powerful hardware. I remember Microsoft saying it's up to the developers how they use it. They aren't forcing them to go 4k

leeh

Seems like Bungie wanted feature parity with the PS4 or PS4 Pro so it doesn't look like Sony has the least powerful hardware. I remember Microsoft saying it's up to the developers how they use it. They aren't forcing them to go 4k
Oh no, its happening. Parity reversal.

Top Bottom