• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel X299 platform first wave reviews - i7 7740X/7800X/7820X and i9 7900X

dr_rus

NDA for first X299 / socket 2066 CPUs reviews have ended:

Video reviews:

Plus two non-NDA reviews published last week:

Non-English reviews (thanks, ·feist·):

Kayant

Damn it! Why you always beating me 😝.

Edit - Woof!
power.png

7900X looks great outside of the wattage that thing consumes but I still don't know if it's worth $1000 when I can get somewhat similar performance with a 1700 for $700 cheaper. Especially if you don't need the PCie lanes or quad channel mem.

I kinda want quad channel mem though so I'm gonna wait for Threadripper and assess the situation then and see which platform to hop on at that point.

:S

gunnerbomb

Neo Member
I'm guessing I should pass on this as my primary purpose is for gaming only. Mind you, I've been running on a i5 3570k for the past 5 years. What should be my next CPU upgrade for video gaming purposes? Coffee Lake? :(

Steel

Banned
I'm guessing I should pass on this as my primary purpose is for gaming only. Mind you, I've been running on a i5 3570k for the past 5 years. What should be my next CPU upgrade for video gaming purposes? Coffee Lake? :(

7700k is the absolute top in terms of gaming and will be for quite some time. While core usage may increase in gaming going forward, I don't see the 7700k becoming obsolete. Failing that the Ryzen 1700 or 1600 are great values. If you're primarily for gaming then you really should be looking in a 4/8-8/16 core range and no more than that.

Still, your 3570k is hardly obsolete itself.

Darkangel

I'm also on a 3570K.

I plan on waiting for the second generation Ryzen CPUs.

Radec

I'm also on a 3570K.

I plan on waiting for the second generation Ryzen CPUs.

lol same here 3570K.

The only reason i'm planning to replace it is to get a better motherboard and ram due to this socket is already phase out and I can only buy the lowest end mobo supporting this socket.

PnCIa

Quite intersting results.
The increased core/core communications latency resembles Ryzens CCX/CCX-latency problems, though to a lesser extend. Gaming performance with this thing at a CPU-limited resolution does not match that of a 7700k.
Not a jack of all trades CPU afterall, but it does show the limits of current CPU design which is very interesting.

dr_rus

I'm still reading through some of reviews but so far 7820X seems like the best average option in this new lineup - as you'd expect from pure specs. What this launch highlights though is how good Ryzen 8C CPUs are really as Intel pretty much matches what was launched by AMD a quarter ago, trying to be a little bit faster for a little bit more money. AMD truly is back in the game.

wtf is up with that 7900x, it isn't even ball-parking it with the socket TDP.

Does Cinebench R15 use AVX-512 by any chance? Such consumption spike kinda points to this, as well as these results here:

87100.png

Soooooooooo wait for Threadripper?

Threadripper's low base clock in addition to Ryzen's lower overall IPC doesn't paint a good picture for its gaming performance. If you want more CPU threads then Threadripper will most certainly be a better bang for buck.

tuxfool

Banned
Does Cinebench R15 use AVX-512 by any chance? Such consumption spike kinda points to this, as well as these results here:

Quick google tells me nothing. Though given the age of the benchmark I don't see why it would, it does seem like avx throughput (and corresponding power consumption) in general is improved regardless of whether it 512, as demonstrated by prime95 above.

What seems crazy to me is that this isn't demonstrated by other Broadwell or Haswell HEDT architectures. Both blow past their TDP in something like prime, but look relatively normal in Cinebench.

dr_rus

Quick google tells me nothing. Though given the age of the benchmark I don't see why it would, it does seem like avx throughput in general is improved regardless of whether it 512, as demonstrated by prime95 above.

Wasn't it updated back in April?

Hmm. 7820 looks pretty good. Pretty close to 7700K gaming performance, while having double the amount of cores and threads for core intensive tasks. Wonder if I should upgrade from my 3570K?

Kayant

I wanna make the jump to something from my 4690K eventually.
Ha same cpu as me 😊. I wish I could look at HEDT platforms but for me it will probably Ryzen 5 1600 or Ryzen 7 1700.

In that case I would personally wait and see.

McBryBry

I wanna make the jump to something from my 4690K eventually.

I'm right there with you. I want to migrate to an mATX build, and figure I should upgrade instead of hunting down a good mATX board for my 4690k. But nothing that's out right now says "Hey, this is what you need!"

StereoVsn

Isn't there a regular consumer level i7 6 core CPU coming later this year as well? I got myself a 4790 early this year on the cheap to replace my i5 3570 and I still want faster clocks but not sure I want to spend a cool $1K just for CPU/motherboard combo for 7820x

The Handbrake transcoding performance the i7-7800X provides is extremely tantalizing as someone who regularly performs video transcodes of Full HD videos as of late. I'm also looking forward to transitioning to storing video in HEVC as opposed to H.264 to provide space savings.

87106.png

87107.png

It feels like the time is ripe for me to replace my i5-4590 with it, alongside new RAM and a new motherboard.

Though it would be pretty interesting and nice if Coffee Lake does also have a hexa-core i7.

Sinistral

Can't seem to find a changelog for it. So I dunno what the update does.

The only 3D renderer that I know uses AVX2 is Vray, and only when Embree is checked. There's been little development regarding AVX2 or AVX-512 and 3D renderers as GPUs eat its lunch. And the weird segmentation of processors that support various levels.

StereoVsn

It feels like the time is ripe for me to replace my i5-4590 with it, alongside new RAM and a new motherboard.

Though it would be pretty interesting and nice if Coffee Lake does also have a hexa-core i7.
Thata whee I am right now (except I got an i7 4790). I am thinking about waiting for that 6-core consumer and that will allow both Intel and Ryzen platforms to settle a bit as well.

If I had to make the choice right now, Ryzen 1700x seems to be in a good spot overall due to lower chip cost and also much lower motherboard cost.

Edit: For more professional workloads, Intel 7820x is certainly appealing, much more so then any other previous Intel offering in prosumer space.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Oh man, I'm debating between the i7-7800X or the Ryzen 1600X

I'm leaning towards the Ryzen at this point. Anyone in this thread have one, that can give me a first-hand experience with it?

Magwik

Banned

Yuuup, though I'm leaning towards Ryzen

Renekton

Looks like 7700K is still the top choice for gamers. The only issue with buying that is having 6-core Coffee Lake coming out very soon leaving me looking like a right dumbass.

Oh man, I'm debating between the i7-7800X or the Ryzen 1500X

I'm leaning towards the Ryzen at this point. Anyone in this thread have one, that can give me a first-hand experience with it?
Depends on what you're planning to do with your system, but I can't honestly recommend the 1500x when the 1600 is a better chip in general for not a lot more money.

ezodagrom

Didn't think the 7800X would be as power hungry as the 7900X, since I don't want a power hungry CPU, this rules out Skylake-X as an option for my future upgrade.

Let's see how Coffee Lake 6-core will do...

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Depends on what you're planning to do with your system, but I can't honestly recommend the 1500x when the 1600 is a better chip in general for not a lot more money.

Whoops, yeah, definitely meant 1600. My bad.

Still not sure if I should spend the extra dough and get the i7-7800X

Durante

For compilation, you can now get $1723 performance for $599, so that's nice:

I'm still reading through some of reviews but so far 7820X seems like the best average option in this new lineup - as you'd expect from pure specs.
Yeah, that's what I expected. It's also the highest-end one with a sane pricetag.

It's too bad that most sites are only testing the far more uninteresting (IMHO, as a whole package) 7900X.

Soooooooooo wait for Threadripper?
I expect the sequential and low-degree-of-parallelism performance of these i7s/i9s to be significantly superior to Threadripper.

If you don't have any sequential or poorly-scaling workloads, then yes, I'd wait.

7700k is the absolute top in terms of gaming and will be for quite some time.
I'm not sure if this is really the case compared to the 7820X and even the 7800X. We'll see when more sites do a full gaming benchmark set with these.

The Xs are only very marginally slower in stuff that isn't very parallel, and much faster in stuff that is.

dr_rus

PCPer: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Proce...X-Processor-Review/Thread-Thread-Latency-and-

Skylake-X has higher core communication latency thanks to the mesh system, inching towards Ryzen's CCX levels.

Kinda but not really as what SKX's new cache architecture does is increase core-to-core latency for all cores while CCX have a sharp increase in latencies in cross-CCX communication. This means that there's nothing to optimize the s/w for on SKX beyond the general fight for less core-to-core snooping. Nicely illustrated here:

latency-pingtimes.png

This was pretty much inevitable after they've disclosed the L2/L3 caching changes. Basically, they are trading larger L2 for higher core-to-core latencies. Hopefully, they'll be able to improve this in future revisions of this new architecture.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Didn't think the 7800X would be as power hungry as the 7900X, since I don't want a power hungry CPU, this rules out Skylake-X as an option for my future upgrade.

Let's see how Coffee Lake 6-core will do...

Dude, I have an i5-750, under load it's like 180 watts! These puppies look mad efficient to me :)

Macrotus

I need to stop looking at these threads.
I'm happy with my Haswell-e, but these kind of threads make me want to upgrade.

Tech needs to stop evolving. Its gonna make me poor /s

Top Bottom