• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLK party on Texas campus causes uproar

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToxicAdam

MLK Party Causes Uproar on Texas Campus

Jan 25, 5:47 AM (ET)

By JEFF CARLTON

DALLAS (AP) - Authorities at Tarleton State University said they plan to investigate a Martin Luther King Jr. Day party that mocked black stereotypes by featuring fried chicken, malt liquor and faux gang apparel.

"I feel like there is no excuse for this type of ignorance," said Donald Ray Elder, president of the Stephenville school's chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

Photographs posted on social networking Web site Facebook.com showed partygoers wearing Afro wigs and fake gold and silver teeth. One photo showed students "mocking how African-Americans do step shows," Elder said. In another picture, a student is dressed as Aunt Jemima and carries a gun.
"That upsets me," Elder said. "That's someone who knows nothing about Dr. King, because Dr. King was totally about nonviolence."

Wanda Mercer, the school's vice president of student life, said an investigation was planned into the Jan. 15 party.

More than 400 students attended a university-sponsored forum Wednesday night that Elder described as "a shaky baby step" in bridging a divide between black and white students on the campus, which had about 400 black students out of 7,800 overall last semester.

Elder said he sensed a racial divide at the forum, with black students sitting on one side of the room and whites on the other.

"It was civil, but it also escalated into a shouting match," he said in a telephone interview afterward.

Some of the students shown in the photos apologized, Elder said.

University President Dennis P. McCabe said the photographs were reprehensible.

"I am personally insulted by these photographs and am disappointed that Tarleton students have demonstrated such insensitivity," he said.

Stephenville is about 60 miles southwest of Fort Worth.

I bet they suspend some kids over this.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
ToxicAdam said:
The dumb white kids probably picked KFC .. but everyone knows Popeye's is where its at.
Popeye's chicken is the shiznit.

JayDubya

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
Popeye's chicken is the shiznit.

Agreed. We have one right around the corner, and mmm. Their biscuits are the best.

Wait, what are we talking about in this thread?

Oh yeah.

Hrm. 60 miles SW of Fort Worth, huh? Well, I live in Fort Worth and drive between Houston and here pretty often. 60 miles... That's pretty much the middle of nowhere, isn't it?

At any rate, yes, this is stupid, but on a campus of 7800, let's not presume anything about the majority of students when it was probably just a couple dozen dumbasses.

JayDubya

Banned
MaddenNFL64 said:
Damn 400 blacks vs over 6,000 white kids? scary...

Uhm? Welcome to rural area racial demographics. Would you expect it to be different? This is a relatively small and almost entirely agriculture-centric university. The majority of people that go there are going to be locals, and as I just said, it's the middle of nowhere. Stephenville is about the same size as the SE Texas town where I went to school / grew up, 15,000 total.

Like, my graduating class at a 4A school combining two local towns was ~350 kids, and I could count the total number of minority students on both hands, the number of African American students on one hand.

NO, I did not live in Vidor, jerkweeds. Yes, they were close enough that we played them in football.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
MaddenNFL64 said:
Damn 400 blacks vs over 6,000 white kids? scary...

Sounds like every day of my life....

JayDubya said:
Agreed. We have one right around the corner, and mmm. Their biscuits are the best.

Oh those biscuits... ymmmmmmm

Zep

Banned
you guys aint have biscuits till you tried Churches "honey" biscuits....They're better than Popeyes!!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
DarienA said:
Sounds like every day of my life....

:lol

The latest census showed 13% of Americans are black?

Assuming there to be 300,000,000 Americans, 39,000,000 are black vs. 261,000,000 others!

:O

Actually, the percentage is exactly in line with that example (13.04%).

(I'm being intentionally obtuse and including all "non-blacks" as white....obviously this is not the case)

Wow. Just wow.

0125071mlk1.jpg

0125071mlk12.jpg

I'm actually surprised none of them are in blackface.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Why's it got to be white vs black? ;_;

Anyway, going back to Popeye's, yes the biscuits rock. And I've found dipping them into the mashed & gravy makes them even better.

ConsumerSquare said:
Not enough Bojangles' in this thread.

Finally, another believer! :D I used to be a Popeye's lover, hell I even worked there years ago but Bojangles' kicks their ass and they serve breakfast.

Grifter

I keep forgetting there's a Popeyes down the street from work (opposite way from home). I'm heading there tonight thanks to GAF and in honor of MLK.

Gio_CoD

Banned
I used to work for a company doing tech support for multiple buildings. I was on one call where I had to pick up a gigantic Laserjet printer, so I needed to bring another tech with me to help load it up in the truck. This other tech is a black guy. It was around lunch time when we went, so we loaded the printer up and decided to go out somewhere for lunch afterwards. I ask him if he's in the mood for anything in particular, and he says, "No man, I don't care where we go. You pick." So, as he says this, we approach a KFC. Without thinking, I say, "What about KFC? You want to go there?" I wasn't trying to be a jackass, I just honestly like KFC, and I was hungry, and it was right in front of us. The guy looked at me like he was seconds away from tearing my face off. I realized all of a sudden that he must have thought I was trying to be funny, so then I went into ultra-defend mode trying to explain that I didn't mean that racially. In the end we had a good laugh and went to KFC.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
The problem with Bojangles is that it's VERY regional(East Coast and that's it). I think the only Bojangles I know of around here is over in Upper Marlboro, not exactly close. (checks website) oh ok, there are all of 5 in the total of Maryland.

Haleon said:
I used to work for a company doing tech support for multiple buildings. I was on one call where I had to pick up a gigantic Laserjet printer, so I needed to bring another tech with me to help load it up in the truck. This other tech is a black guy. It was around lunch time when we went, so we loaded the printer up and decided to go out somewhere for lunch afterwards. I ask him if he's in the mood for anything in particular, and he says, "No man, I don't care where we go. You pick." So, as he says this, we approach a KFC. Without thinking, I say, "What about KFC? You want to go there?" I wasn't trying to be a jackass, I just honestly like KFC, and I was hungry, and it was right in front of us. The guy looked at me like he was seconds away from tearing my face off. I realized all of a sudden that he must have thought I was trying to be funny, so then I went into ultra-defend mode trying to explain that I didn't mean that racially. In the end we had a good laugh and went to KFC.

...you almost became a statistic.

Sometimes I just dont get it. When does it go through these peoples minds, "man, this is a great idea, lets have a party on MLK day, dress up in stereotypes, take pictures, and put them on a relatively public website."

My faith in humanity just went down to like -6.

JayDubya

Banned
Haleon said:
*a story*

See, that's kind of hypersensitive. He asked you to pick, and you did. You didn't mean anything by it. The presence or absence of melanin in your skin does not preclude or give you a proclivity towards the enjoyment of battered and deep fried chicken.

storybook77 said:
We just got ours here in middle Georgia and it's conveniently on my way to work... :D

I don't understand why it's a stereotype for just black people to eat fried chicken....most of us white guys eat that shit just as much, especially in the south where fried foods of any kind are king.

Yeah, I really don't get it at all. That's *southern comfort food.* Damn, one of my favorite things if I'm really hungry is to go to Blackeyed Pea and order a Texas-sized Country-Fried Steak. Comes with rolls and cornbread, good stuff. And then cornbread, doesn't that carry the same stigma? I just don't understand it.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Keystone Light? Let's say you had the party, why in the hell would you put the pictures on a web site? Just shows they are double stupid.

Anyway, Popeye's Red Beans and Rice has it going on. There is a Popeye's on the way home too!

DarienA said:
The problem with Bojangles is that it's VERY regional(East Coast and that's it). I think the only Bojangles I know of around here is over in Upper Marlboro, not exactly close. (checks website) oh ok, there are all of 5 in the total of Maryland.

We just got ours here in middle Georgia and it's conveniently on my way to work... :D

I don't understand why it's a stereotype for just black people to eat fried chicken....most of us white guys eat that shit just as much, especially in the south where fried foods of any kind are king.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't even get what makes the guy "black." Is it...that his shirt says "I love chicken"?

SUPREME1

Banned
Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles

Get the "Big Mama's Special"... It is the best thing you'll ever eat.. Though your choleterol level will jump about 20pts in one sitting.

Also,
No offense JayDubya, but I was like"..Texas, huh..? Why am I not surprised..?"

Lol.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Why do people use the "loving fried chicken" stereotype against black people? Fried chicken is awesome (it's really depressing that the Popeye's near me closed down a few years back) and all races enjoy it equally.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
djtiesto said:
Why do people use the "loving fried chicken" stereotype against black people? Fried chicken is awesome (it's really depressing that the Popeye's near me closed down a few years back) and all races enjoy it equally.

Yeah, it makes no sense to me either.

MaddenNFL64

Holy f*cking blackface Batman! Just wrong :\.

And I think stereotypes are started by other cultures/races, who perceive a 'trend' among the 'other', and like highschool that shit get's passed around till it sticks. So, even if there are 8 white families at KFC (or Popeyes), if there is one black family, some will think it's because they're black & predisposed to eating chicken.

Of course, I should have just wiki'd 'stereotype' up, and copied :p.

DarienA said:
The problem with Bojangles is that it's VERY regional(East Coast and that's it). I think the only Bojangles I know of around here is over in Upper Marlboro, not exactly close.
Bleh. Don't go to that one. That's right by my dad's house and the chicken is incredibly salty. I don't know if that's true of the chain, but it was inedible. Though, maybe they oversalted it because I am a "white devil."

I like the fried chicken at Wendy's.

Seems like UConn got into the MLK party action as well.

Another Celebration Of Black Culture
UConn law student party featured gold teeth, do-rags, gang signs

JANUARY 25--Seems that questionable parties were not limited this month to a Martin Luther King Jr. Day celebration at a Texas college. Turns out students at the University of Connecticut School of Law also opted for do-rags, gang signs, gold teeth, malt liquor, and a fake machine gun during an off-campus gathering last weekend, just days after the civil rights leader's January 15 birthday. As with the Texas party, photos from the Connecticut bash turned up on Facebook.com, where they were downloaded by a fellow classmate who was offended by the images. The pictures can be seen on the following pages.
The party, dubbed "Bullets & Bubbly" by organizers, has been criticized by many UConn students and led university officials to schedule a schoolwide roundtable today to discuss concerns about racial insensitivity. Party attendee Michael Nichols, a graduate student who sits on UConn's board of trustees, told the Hartford Courant that while the party was not meant to be "mean-spirited," he has since learned that "many of our friends and fellow students were hurt. For this I am truly sorry." Kurt Strasser, the law school's interim dean, told the Courant, "I hope the students will come to realize that pictures that are put on the Internet are likely to be available to potential employers, clients, and parents."

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2007/0125072uconn1.html

Mashing

JayDubya said:

Wait, what are we talking about in this thread?

Oh yeah.

Hrm. 60 miles SW of Fort Worth, huh? Well, I live in Fort Worth and drive between Houston and here pretty often. 60 miles... That's pretty much the middle of nowhere, isn't it?

At any rate, yes, this is stupid, but on a campus of 7800, let's not presume anything about the majority of students when it was probably just a couple dozen dumbasses.

I'm surprised this didn't happen in Vidor. Racist town in America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom